Options

Has anyone in PJ ever gotten emotional during a song/performace?

just davejust dave Posts: 260
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I have read about people getting emotional when certain songs are played. Like the beatles when they came, girls screamed for them and you see the odd one crying and such. Does this or has this ever happened with PJ fans?

Has anyone started to cry because they played your favourite tune? or something that was really deep?

And with that emotion from people, has any member of the band gotten emotional from playing a song.

I'm just wondering about this, cause i've read from various places about people and songs meaning so much to them. Plus you hear that PJ has saved people's lives like certain songs and such. Music saved Ed's life, so wonder if he has ever felt this way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    just dave wrote:
    I have read about people getting emotional when certain songs are played. Like the beatles when they came, girls screamed for them and you see the odd one crying and such. Does this or has this ever happened with PJ fans?

Has anyone started to cry because they played your favourite tune? or something that was really deep?

And with that emotion from people, has any member of the band gotten emotional from playing a song.

I'm just wondering about this, cause i've read from various places about people and songs meaning so much to them. Plus you hear that PJ has saved people's lives like certain songs and such. Music saved Ed's life, so wonder if he has ever felt this way.

Stone is constantly tearing up whenever he gets to play mankind. ;) I know Ed was brought to tears during the Reading 2006 performance.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    just davejust dave Posts: 260
    Boom got pretty overwhelmed when he played that organ in imagine to cornice dvd.

The first time i heard in my tree, the tears were building up. I didn't bawl or anything. But it affected me though.
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well daughter from the showbox dvd comes to mind...but that was a different kind of emotion!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    lolla during life wasted reprise me and my brother shed some tears together. It was the first time we got hang out in a year and we were drunk on wine. The only other time was boise 00. Made it on the floor and was really high on dsl and got a bit choked up.
  • Options
    eddie gets a little teary eyed for about a second during Masters Of War at the Bob Dylan tribute thingy
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    I've cried at every show i've been at with the excepton of Lolla. I think i shed the most tears during the It's Ok tag at the Gorge.
  • Options
    Personally, at Montreal 05 the first notes of Release simultaneously sent chills down my spine and brought me to tears.

Same with Alive in Nijmegen last year.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    When Ed talked about Long Road in San Diego was pretty emotional for everyone there.
    Ignore your rights and they'll go away!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to have fun." Benjamin Franklin

www.AllAmericanBiofuels.com
    Biodiesel: No War Required!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i teared up a bit at the vic... just really happy... and i felt really fortunate to be there... such an incredible experience... i was very grateful to have the opportunity and to be so close
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    man of the hour got me choked up twice. boston 2 04 and hawaii 06.

and gtf got me emotional in montreal 05. i had to go up there on crutches and i was feeling sorry for myself because of the knee injury and the sense of helplessness. the war was mentioned at some point, and during gtf, i started to realize how lucky i was and how things could always be so much worse.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i think i get a little choked up at the start of every show. just because the music means so much to me, and i know it the start to what will be a beautiful evening.

ya know? that feeling you get when the lights go down, and you hear the first notes. ahhhhh. bliss.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Neil Young cried a little after they played Black at Bridgeschool 06 TRUE STORY.

Also they played the shit out of Black that night.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Options
    first show, DAR Hall, DC, 1\15\95 ... my 15th birthday, to the day ... they opened with Release.
    I definately had some tears in my eyes.
    Not like sobbing ... just really over emotional about the whole thing ... plus ... hearing "Release" as your first live song ... i mean ... come on!
    I was all by myself, so no one noticed me. Lol.
    :D

Other than that,
    someone mentioned this above me, but the newer versions of "It's Ok" ... those really get to me. The first time i heard one of the spanish language versions, that got to me too.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    i didnt know if i should cry at cincy....

or laugh my fucking ass off...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

bad trip?
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    surprised the hell out me but, not gonna lie, the first time I heard Release live....there was...a reaction.
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Whenever Ed starts to sing and you hear the first few guitar notes I get chills runnin down my spine. These guys are truly the greatest band in the world!
  • Options
    silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    "Black" at Bridge '06. My favorite song in that setting got me pretty teared up. An absolutely amazing version!
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    mjb wrote:
    surprised the hell out me but, not gonna lie, the first time I heard Release live....there was...a reaction.

if pj really is doing this little summer tour near me i neeeeeed to hear release live. that song opening a show would just be the most amazing experience
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    just dave wrote:

I usually don't because I am not a public crier....however, going a couple of years back - someone here on the boards - screen name I believe was Bluehoon - lost his brother - at a very young age. They were supposed to go see the band together in Canada, but his brother died before the show. He ended up going with his girlfriend and posted here that he wanted them to play GTF for his bro. So here we are in Ottawa, and there is a couple sitting next to me and the girl has a GTF sign...in my gut I felt it was him so I asked...and indeed it was. When they played GTF I got very emotional for them.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    When I finished my uni degree (after doing 4 subjects AND working fulltime in my last semester) I put on LATG. In My Tree came on and I cried my eyes out for about 3 minutes.

Best stress relief of my life. Even a BJ from Jennifer Hawkins couldnt have helped me that much at that point in time
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Light Years... Montreal 05... I got a little emotional, must have been all that good Canadian beer
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Shit...I'm getting misty eyed just reading some of these posts. I always become overwhlemed at some point during the shows...it all just hits me at once.

Hands down...the most powerfull band on the planet.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    DonJon wrote:
    When I finished my uni degree (after doing 4 subjects AND working fulltime in my last semester) I put on LATG. In My Tree came on and I cried my eyes out for about 3 minutes.

Best stress relief of my life. Even a BJ from Jennifer Hawkins couldnt have helped me that much at that point in time

In My Tree has gotten me while driving. Pretty sure Black and Thumbing My Way have too, but none of these occurred at a concert.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I usually get the chills when they first take the stage, but the one song that had me tearing up was when I heard the piano intro to Chloe Dancer in Atlanta 03. I've always loved that song and I never thought I would ever hear CoT live, but it was a pleasant surprise that evening.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    the wolf wrote:
    i think i get a little choked up at the start of every show. just because the music means so much to me, and i know it the start to what will be a beautiful evening.

ya know? that feeling you get when the lights go down, and you hear the first notes. ahhhhh. bliss.

You said it. :D
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

i still dont get why you think this show was so bad, i think it was a good show.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    When Ed talked about Long Road in San Diego was pretty emotional for everyone there.

I first heard long road 3 days b4 my mother died from lung cancer, My younger brother played it for me on our way to pick up my oldest brother from the airport so he could be with her on her death bed.
    That was in late december, 4-5 months later Pearl Jam toured ( yeild tour) I went to Sydney 1 and they opened with Long road, I just sat there and wept and wept my mates around me with their hands on my shoulders.
    when I heard that Sandiego boot I lost it so hard.
    I ring the bell for my mum very often- sometimes I cry somtimes I feel great joy in the words Even though the sun has set - the sun will rise again -
    I think of my daughter
    PJ has always been an anchor in a very rough sea for me
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    Man of the Hour.. gets me every time. Reminds me of my dad...
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    T C HT C H Posts: 85
    All i have to say is best thread in ages! Good stuff
    I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...