Options

Has anyone in PJ ever gotten emotional during a song/performace?

Comments

• Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Eddie's speech before Come Back in Berlin 2006 was so emotional. Besides, I've found out that the thrill is even bigger a couple of days after a show, when you realize how really overwhelming it all was.
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    i've not cried at a gig coz it's too exciting. but i cried the first time i listened to riot act, it was very odd, in retrospect i think it's just a very emotional album (which is saying something for pj).

the thread title says 'has anyone in pj ever gotten emotional during a song/ performance', i remember reading that ed had trouble with black a lot in the u.s. tour after roskilde, and the thread in the live section about last years copenhagen gig says that most of the band were in tears at some point during that gig.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    just dave wrote:
    I have read about people getting emotional when certain songs are played. Like the beatles when they came, girls screamed for them and you see the odd one crying and such. Does this or has this ever happened with PJ fans?

Has anyone started to cry because they played your favourite tune? or something that was really deep?

And with that emotion from people, has any member of the band gotten emotional from playing a song.

I'm just wondering about this, cause i've read from various places about people and songs meaning so much to them. Plus you hear that PJ has saved people's lives like certain songs and such. Music saved Ed's life, so wonder if he has ever felt this way.

Of course!

When I saw PJ for the first time at Reading in 2006 I cried uncontrollably like a bitch for Better Man. It's always been my favourite PJ song anyway so that made me emotional enough but I was also in the middle of a long term relationship breakdown, it was deeply personal for me to see that live and being able to sing it at the top of my lungs with tears rolling down my face was intense.

I then saw them at Wembley in 2007. Again, I cried, but this time it was to Long Road and Present Tense. I so very nearly shed a tear of pride for Given to Fly but didn't wanna make a complete fool of myself. :rolleyes: ;)

In so far as Pearl Jam's music saving people's lives, I can relate to this to a certain level.
    As I said, I went through a difficult time in 2006 and to be quite honest, it was Nothingman that ended my car wreck of a 6 year relationship. I remember listening to it riding to work one day and just getting so completely choked I had to stop. Every single word related to the situation I was living in, I didn't love him and he didn't love me... it was all just routine and "I love you" had lost all meaning - hence why Better Man made me emotional.
    I ended the relationship once and for all and started to rebuild what was left... That's when Given to Fly came into my life. I was riding one day (mountain biker) and was coming over a field near my house. The sky was simply stunning - the sun was setting and the clouds were gold and pink, i'd never felt so free in my whole adult life and suddenly I knew who I was, liked who I was and I realised there was hope.
    Since then, other PJ songs have taken on different roles in my life. I've met someone I adore and who never ceases to amaze me. Parachutes represents this perfectly. Alive just makes me grin from ear to ear due to a fantastically memorable Tenclub night out in Birmingham and seeing them at Wembley with Urbanhippie for her first PJ gig... It reminds me of great friends I've gained thanks to Pearl Jam.

:D:D:D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    At Wembley in 07, my first show since 98 I fucking cried my eyes out during Present Tense. In college, I lost a friend of mine to a drug overdose and it was my fault, it was right in front of me and I never put a price on his life only on the money I was making from him and others. The words in Present Tense have always gotten to me about him, and when I first heard the opening chords I just broke down....I am a 33 year old man with a wife and two kids and I can honestly say it may have been the hardest I have cried in all my life......
  • Options
    I was so surprised and excited and overwhelmed with emotion when I heard the first few notes of Low Light in Toronto '06, I felt like I was going to explode into uncontrollable tears. Thankfully, I did not.

I was misty-eyed when they opened with Release (Toronto '03).

My level of excitement at a Pearl Jam concert is usually about a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10, so I'm usually too excited to get emotional, despite being an emotional person.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    Ed had to sit down(dont know about crying)During black at jones beach in n.y..He was pretty emotional.....And i never saw a pearl jam fan cry before?Maybe i wasnt at the right spot
    Now we got a fuckin fight up here,what there's a republican in the audience,what's going on? Eddie(Randell's Island N.Y 96)
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    When PJ opened the 2006 show at the Forum in Los Angeles with "Release" I was shocked that I was almost brought to tears. I'm not a crier at all, so it was a very odd, but pleasant, experience.

The goosebumps hit me a few other times that evening, too -- during Elderly Woman (primarly due to the crowd singalong), during Inside Job, and during Mike's Star-Spangled Banner tag after YL.

Ditto goosebumps (not tears, mind you) when I heard Masters of War for the first time at Bridge School '03. Also, when Oceans started off the Santa Barbara '06 show (must be something to do with show openers, now that I think about it...).

On the boot for the Boston (Mansfield) '98 show Eddie clearly chokes up during Given to Fly and then, even more so, during Dissident. He even asks the crowd for a moment to let him compose himself after Dissident. Later in the show he mentions how a close friend of the band's had just passed away and how it came as sort of a shock.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    There have been so many moving songs and shows, but I cried during In Hiding at the Vic in Chicago. What a crowd.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    And it's no nay never.....no nay never no more!

Sorry never did. Pearl Jam shows were always a way for me to get aggression out.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Danimal wrote:
    And it's no nay never.....no nay never no more!

(thump thump thump thump!) :D

When Stone took over the mic on 7/11/03 I laughed myself to tears.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    i didnt know if i should cry at cincy....

or laugh my fucking ass off...........

sort of like when he bought your favorite convicts on the stage at candem he he he :D...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    sort of like when he bought your favorite convicts on the stage at candem he he he :D...

that was fuckin ridiculous! one of those guys was arrested for something later that week.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    (thump thump thump thump!) :D

When Stone took over the mic on 7/11/03 I laughed myself to tears.

Awesome!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    2000 Opener in Virginia Beach after Rockslide. They opened with Long Road and you could feel the emotion the band had, as well as the crowd. that got me.

Something about long road gets me ever time i hear it live.
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
    6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    camden 2006

throw your arms around me.

such a beautiful song. never thought i'd hear it live.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,814
    you should all be crying.....and screaming and yelling for that matter...

considering Mr. Vedder want us all to donate money for his solo tour...

to a bunch of child murderers known as the west memphis 3.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    you should all be crying.....and screaming and yelling for that matter...

considering Mr. Vedder want us all to donate money for his solo tour...

to a bunch of child murderers known as the west memphis 3.....

you know what? i'm not crazy about the fact that money comes out of my pocket for wm3 charities, but neither of us know for sure that those teens murdered those children.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Which time? I cry like a baby. Certain songs at certain times, depending on the circumstances, I do tend to get very emotional...I stuff tissues in my bra just for this purpose
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    When GTF started up at Wembley last year, my knees went from under me... Sian had to hold me up... I just felt so elated that they played my favourite song at my first PJ gig... I remember jumping up and down and hugging her like a fool... :D
    And same gig, when Faithfull was being performed... I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up... and I ABSOLUTELY believe that it was a message of thanks, from the boys, to us fans, for sticking with em all this time.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Inside Job from Las Vegas 2006.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Thumbing my Way St. Johns #1, 2005. I felt so alone.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Hard to Imagine @ the Vic
  • Options
    MargoMargo Posts: 256
    Not exactly crying, but def. chills down my spine and tearing up during Come Back in Dusseldorf and Release in Nijmegen.
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012
  • Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    i've seen ed cry at many shows
    one time in new orleans after black he was in tears said i'll never play that fucking song again slams down themic & balled up on stage for a fw....
    most of the shows i've seen were all bfore96
    i got put in a wheelchair , seen some show sense but cant go to as many
  • Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    and seeing them plat hunger strike & rech down @ lolla in 92 cried like a baby.i went to about 12 of those just hoping the would do it once & they did

after the show i saw chris & susan & i shook his hand & said thanks it ment alot to me ,& both of them said the same thing for them

http://www.reachdown.com/live-irvine.shtml
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    i've teared up at certain points at every show i've seen, but the one where i just lost my shit was at night 2 in san fran. i had always gotten kind of shitty seats in ampitheatres before that, but i lucked out and got very close to the stage. so before sonic youth comes on, EV walks out on stage and sits down with his guitar!! i was so overwhelmed that i was THAT close i just started crying. a couple ppl looked at me kind of weirdly, but the gal next to me patted my shoulder and said "i totally know what you mean".
  • Options
    Man of the Hour at the Astoria. My first time hearing live the song that had helped me get through my uncle's cancer & death. Tore me up.

And the soundcheck of Love Reign O'er Me in Copenhagen, coming straight after Love Boat Captain and Light Years, while hanging around with a guy who'd lost his best friend at Roskilde. And then there was the show itself...

Not to mention No More at Nijmegen.

As for the band, Ed seemed pretty cut up before going into the "we belong together" tag in Dublin in 2006. As well as for most of the Copenhagen show.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    At Wembley in 07, my first show since 98 I fucking cried my eyes out during Present Tense. In college, I lost a friend of mine to a drug overdose and it was my fault, it was right in front of me and I never put a price on his life only on the money I was making from him and others. The words in Present Tense have always gotten to me about him, and when I first heard the opening chords I just broke down....I am a 33 year old man with a wife and two kids and I can honestly say it may have been the hardest I have cried in all my life......

Wow!!! My pissy situation has nothing in comparison to some of these.

GREAT THREAD!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    just davejust dave Posts: 260
    I have always wondered how the band can keep it together especially Ed because there is SO SO much emotion in the songs and some of them are pretty personal to the band. The songs themselves are like the bands lives in a way, and to wear their heart on their sleaves like they do must be pretty hard.
  • Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    eddie at Reading 06.

myself, recently 'Black' has brought me close to tears. the live versions anyway.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk