What's in your bookshelf?

Comments

• I was thinking in terms of classic novels, rather than the usual shite, which I don't tend to buy, because I write enough of that, myself. :)

Fair enough. Actually, this is why I haven't started Tristram Shandy yet -- I know it's going to take time to wade through it, and I won't give up on it. But at this time of year is just too busy for me to immerse myself in a project this big.

I did get to within 90 pages of the end of Dune when I couldn't take it anymore and stopped reading. (I'm not much of a science fiction fan.)
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Forgot a few.

DaVinci Code- Dan Brown
    Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
    Animal Farm - Orson Wells
    Fair Tax Book - Neil Boortz and John Linder
    See No Evil - Robert Baer
    Sleeping with the Devil - Robert Baer
    Holy Blood Holy Grail - Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, and Richard Leigh
    The Knights Templar - Stephen Howarth
    The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
    Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo
    Preditory States - J. Patrice McSherry
    Camilo Cienfuegos - Carlos Franqui
    The History of Political Philosophy - Leo Strauss
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    You've got to finish a book, even if you hate it!

You mean like a bad date? You can't just leave half way in? Gotta tough it out?
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I still torture myself. I feel like I just have to finish it if I start it like somehow it will all come together and be worth it in the end. The only probelm is this causes me to have about 3 or 4 books that I'm reading at once without finishing. I get bored too easily. I need to learn to focus and quit letting my mind wander off. If a book is really good I just can't put it down, though. I'll sneak to read it at work or at the dinner table. I wish the purely factual books Kabong likes to read could keep my attention like that. Names, dates and places go in one ear and out the other with me and he's like a book of knowledge.
    I did the same thing for years. Pride & Prejudice is what finally broke me. God, how I hated that book, lol. I'd made it a little over halfway, suffering through each page, until I thought "WHY am I doing this to myself?" The list of books that I want to read is virtually endless, and new ones get added all the time, I just don't have time for things I don't like, regardless of how good they may be. There are plenty of good books that I DO enjoy, I'll stick with those.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • hippiemom wrote:
    I did the same thing for years. Pride & Prejudice is what finally broke me. God, how I hated that book, lol. I'd made it a little over halfway, suffering through each page, until I thought "WHY am I doing this to myself?" The list of books that I want to read is virtually endless, and new ones get added all the time, I just don't have time for things I don't like, regardless of how good they may be. There are plenty of good books that I DO enjoy, I'll stick with those.

I remember forcing myself through Pride and Prejudice in the 8th grade and finally breaking down about halfway through and getting the cliff notes to get a quick summary of the ending. I do that with movies sometimes, too. If it gets too long or too many dull spots I'll find something else to do and ask Kabong about the ending later. I'm just too curious to not know the ending but too stir-crazy to sit through something I'm not that into.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • I remember forcing myself through Pride and Prejudice in the 8th grade and finally breaking down about halfway through and getting the cliff notes to get a quick summary of the ending.
    I did this with Moby Dick in the 12th grade. Poor Mrs. Urquhart couldn't have bribed me to read that thing. But 20 years later, I moved to Boston and decided to try it again. (I guess it was the proximity to Nantucket.) And I LOVED it -- I even loved the whaling chapters. So much so that I was having nightmares about being attacked by whales on the open seas and drowning in a pool of whale blood. (Yeah, that wasn't pretty.)

On the other hand, Mrs. Urquhart also assured me I would love the poetry of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and that hasn't happened.
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    One random shelf? I have thirteen big ole bookcases in this room. I'll do one shelf, because even if I do one case, I'll be here all night. Er... hang on....

The Complete Pelican Shakespeare - Comedy and Romances (Pelican)
    The Complete Pelican Shakespeare - Histories and Tragedies (Pelican)
    The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Midpoint Press)
    Shakspeare (sic) - another complete works (Kegan Paul Ltd 1909)
    Shakespeare in Production: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Cambridge)
    Twelfth Night (Oxford)
    Othello (Cambridge Schools)
    Shakespeare in Production: Antony and Cleopatra (Cambridge)
    Shakespeare's Sonnets (eds. Ingram and Redpath)
    Antony and Cleopatra (Oxford)
    Shakespeare in Production: The Tempest (Cambridge)
    The Cambridge Companion to Shakespeare on Film (Cambridge)
    The Merchant of Venice (Cambridge Schools)
    Duncan Salkeld - Madness and Drama in the Age of Shakespeare (Manchester)
    Keir Elam - Shakespeare's Universe of Discourses (Cambridge)
    The Norton Shakespeare
    Mr William Shakespeares: A Facsimile of the First Folio, 1623 (Routledge)
    Helen Vendler - The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets (Harvard)
    The TLS on Shakespeare (TLS)
    Anne Righter - Shakespeare and the Idea of the Play (Penguin)
    The Longman Guide to Shakespeare Quotations (Longman)

There ya go. Yes, every edition is different.

yee gads fins! that's a whole lot of shakespeare.

but alas tis wasted on me. i am no fan of the bard. :(

ps. how big's your room that you can fit 13 bookcases in it?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    ps. how big's your room that you can fit 13 bookcases in it?

Haha, probably bigger than my apartment :)
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    qtegirl wrote:
    If you like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you should also check out Isabel Allende. Especially, The House of Spirits. Great book.

I will... thank you. :D
    I am waiting for someone to list something quasi-normal, like something in the "For Dummies" series, or like 80 volumes of the long-standing Western serial "Longarm".

Well.. along with the 'classics' (ie those that you might study in school - shakespeare, bronte, voltaire, rimbaud, descartes, balzac, flaubert, shelley, etc.), the 'contemporary' classics (Kerouac, Miller, etc.), all my Russians (Dostoyevky, Gogol, Bulgakov, Bodganov, etc.), my 'latins' (Borges, Marquez, Gomez-Arcos, amado, etc.), mixed with my reference books, history books, etc. I do have lots of thrillers, Follett, Forsythe, Koonz. etc.. you get my drift. I love those books as well... Can't always be with 'heavy stuff.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Not many interesting ones, I read a lot, but only recently I started buying the books instead of borrowing them from friends or the library. Most of my books are classics:

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    A fine Madness - Elliot Baker
    The Trial - Franz Kafka
    The unbearable lightness of being - Milan Kundera
    The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Edgar Allan Poe (obviously)
    Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
    the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    1984 - George Orwell
    Confessions of an English Opium-Eater - Thomas de Quincey
    The God of small things - Arundhati Roy
    Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
    Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne
    The Devil's Teardrop - Jeffery Deaver
    Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
    Dreamcatcher - Stephen King
    Nobody's Boy - Hector Malot
    Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    Deception Point - Dan Brown
    Stick & Whittle - Sid Hite
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and Post-War Pop, a musical biography of Jimi Hendrix - Charles Shaar Murray
    Interview with the Vampire - Ann Rice
    The Vampire Lestat - Ann Rice
    Pandora - Ann Rice

I think I forgot a few... and I have quite a lot of Dutch books.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Collin wrote:
    Not many interesting ones...
    What do you mean not many interesting ones?

Shelley.. Stoker... Kundera (love him!).. Poe.. Verne... Twain.... need I continue... great selection!
    redrock wrote:
    What do you mean not many interesting ones?

Shelley.. Stoker... Kundera (love him!).. Poe.. Verne... Twain.... need I continue... great selection!

I only posted the interesting ones, I have a whole lot of Dutch books, 500+ or something, most of those are not interesting.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Collin wrote:
    I only posted the interesting ones, I have a whole lot of Dutch books, 500+ or something, most of those are not interesting.
    How was The Unbearable Lightness of Being? I saw the movie. Is the book worth reading?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    You've got to finish a book, even if you hate it!
    Says you! No way, man. Life is short. There are so many good books to read that are just calling to me, why waste time on something that called like a wolf and ended up being a porcupine?

You know what? I was looking at another one of the shelves of another bookcase, and I thought to myself Damn, I'm interesting;) Such diverse topics, it's amazing how multi-dimensional I am.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    How was The Unbearable Lightness of Being? I saw the movie. Is the book worth reading?

Until Collin gets back on the thread and gives his opinions. here is mine..

YES! It is a masterful novel..... Have you read other stuff by Kundera? Among others, The Joke, Immortality, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting...

He is an increadible author.. also wrote plays, poetry and some essays.
    redrock wrote:
    Until Collin gets back on the thread and gives his opinions. here is mine..

YES! It is a masterful novel..... Have you read other stuff by Kundera? Among others, The Joke, Immortality, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting...

He is an increadible author.. also wrote plays, poetry and some essays.

I agree, it's a great book, it's definitely better than the movie.
    I've read the joke, great book as well and I will probably read the rest of his books this year.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Says you! No way, man. Life is short. There are so many good books to read that are just calling to me, why waste time on something that called like a wolf and ended up being a porcupine?

You know what? I was looking at another one of the shelves of another bookcase, and I thought to myself Damn, I'm interesting;) Such diverse topics, it's amazing how multi-dimensional I am.

totally agree. i read madam bovary only until emma died. by then i figured it was the least she could do for boring me to death with her insipidness.
    usually i am in the camp of books must be finished, but i made an exception with flaubert.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    That is your particular choice sir, but having attained a First from the University of Edinburgh it is of pure consequence - through my learning there - that I use the institution's typography in qualifying my position....
    It may interest you to know that I have subsequently gained a pass in my Master's program (which of course you will know does not entail a specific qualification) and through a subtle blend of skill and determination am well on my way to completing my PHD....

And while i may not have delved comprehensively into the more hefty tomes of Shakespeare In General, I do take snotty comments with a good dose of humour....All the while humoring the narcissism of the professed literary master of these pages........H

Ah, a Scottish MA. English MAs are usually graded fail, pass and distinction. We could say, for convenience if not exactness's sake, that it's akin to a first.

Well done, and good luck!
    totally agree. i read madam bovary only until emma died. by then i figured it was the least she could do for boring me to death with her insipidness.
    usually i am in the camp of books must be finished, but i made an exception with flaubert.

One of the best bits of the novel is the conversation over her dead body! You should take a peek!
    MrBrian wrote:
    You mean like a bad date? You can't just leave half way in? Gotta tough it out?

You got it!
  • Including Fast Food nation
    Women and Bisexuality
    No logo
    Bitch, in praise of difficult women
    Prozac Nation
    More, Now and Again
    The Celestine Proficy
    numerous computer software and french and dutch language books and dictionnaries.
    Assertiveness and Women
    Sexuality in your mirror
    Stupid White Men

Et al.
  • Ah, a Scottish MA. English MAs are usually graded fail, pass and distinction. We could say, for convenience if not exactness's sake, that it's akin to a first.

Well done, and good luck!

The M.A (hons) was awarded for my program of undergraduate study - for a more exacting representation of my qualification's we might look to the fact that my Master's qualification is actually an M.Litt.........and it was graded 'with distinction' - should we require further qualification, so to speak......

But this life isn't about qualification's or counting letters after your name...it's about utilising the tools we develop - to challenge the different notions we encounter in the hope that learning will continue.....all walks of life.....H
    What do you call 3 sheep tied together in the middle of Wales? - A Leisure Centre.
  • The Soul of Capitalism - Greider
    The Unconquerable World - Schell
    Our Religions - Sharma
    Freethinkers - Jacoby
    Ship of Gold - Kinder
    A Star Called Henry - Doyle
    Freedom From Fear: The American People in Depression and War - Kennedy
    Liberalism and It's Challengers - Hamby
    Mansion on the Hill - The Head on Collision of Rock and Commerce - Goodman
    The Forgotten Hero of My Lai: The Hugh Thompson Story - Angers
    Collected Stories - William Faulkner
    People's History of US - Zinn
    May God Have Mercy - Tucker
    Ghost Soldiers - Sides
    The Zimmerman Telegram - Tuchman
    The Guns of August - Tuchman
    Killer Angels - Sahaara
    A Random Walk Down Wall Street - Malkiel
    Democracy in America - de Tocqueville
    Life on the Run - Bill Bradley
    Ishmael - Quinn
    Story of B - Quinn
    1984 - Orwell
    Slaughterhouse Five - Vonnegut
    Good Muslim, Bad Muslim - Mamdani
    The Eagle's Shadow - Hertsgaard
    Golden Arches East - Watson
    Guerrilla Days in Ireland - Barry
    Sacred Hoops - Phil Jackson
    War in a Time of Peace - Halberstam
    Confessions of a Street Addict - Kramer
    Moneyball - Lewis
    Life Without Parole - Hassine
    Rock and Roll: It's History and Stylistic Development - Stuessy
    The Martian Chronicles - Bradbury
    Lincoln - Donald
    Team of Rivals - Goodwin
    American Brutus - Kauffman
    John Adams - Mccullough
    Truman - Mccullough
    The United States of Europe - Reid
    Namath - Kriegel
    The Conquerors - Beschloss
    The 100: Ranking of the Most Influential People in History - Hart
    The Long Emergency - Kunstler
    Dying to Win: the Logic of Suicide Terrorism - Pape
    Negro League Baseball - Lanctot
    Confessions of an Economic Hitman - Perkins
    Three Billion New Capitalists - Prestowitz
    Gold Warriors: America's Secret Discovery of Yamashita's Gold - Sterling
    Oliver Twist
    Moby Dick
    Adventures of Huck Finn
    One of the best bits of the novel is the conversation over her dead body! You should take a peek!

okey doke. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Requiem For A Dream - Hubert Selby Jr
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Lord Of The Flies - William Goliding
    The Tao Of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff
    The Four Agreements - Don Miquel Ruiz
    On The Road - Jack Kerouac
    Big Sur - Jack Kerouac
    The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac
    1984 - George Orwell
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
    Brave New World - Alodus Huxley
    Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - JRR Tolkein
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkein
    The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay
    No Logo - Naomi Klein
    Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger
    Stupid White Men - Michael Moore
    Dude Wheres My Country - Michael Moore
    Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    The Worst Case Survival Handbook: Golf
    Watership Down - Richard Adams
    Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
    Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    God Bless You, Mr Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of Ann Coulter on people's bookshelves :(

in terms of fiction, one of my favorite books of all time is actually master and the margarita, and would never have read it if not for this board.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of Ann Coulter on people's bookshelves :(

in terms of fiction, one of my favorite books of all time is actually master and the margarita, and would never have read it if not for this board.

we're talking about ONE random shelf for a few people here. i have many shelves. and yes i have ann coulter. her book 'treason' has the honour of being the only book i've ever hoiked out into the backyard in disgust.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Twisted 1, 2, 3 & 4 -JEssica Zafra
    Ambeth Ocampo books
    THe HAndmaid's Tale & Wilderness Tips - MArgaret Atwood
    there are others, i'll get back to you...
    Is it time to list the books on the second shelf of a bookcase? :)