What's in your bookshelf?

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    qtegirl wrote:
    If you like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you should also check out Isabel Allende. Especially, The House of Spirits. Great book.
    Aphrodite - A Memoir of the Senses is a quick foodie read by her, too.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    Give it a try myself...I'll name the books I have with my home, which are very few. Can't remember those in my parents house...

Charles Bukowsky-Hollywood
    Charles Bukowsky-Post Office
    Charles Bukowsy-Tales of a Dirty Old Man
    Paul Auster-New York Trilogy
    Paul Auster-Smoke & Blue in the Face
    Pulp Fiction Script-Quentin Tarantino
    David Lynch-Michel Chion
    Jack Kerouac-Big Sur
    Jack Kerouac-Dharma Bums
    John Kennedy Toole-Confederacy of Duncees
    George Orwell-1984
    Steppenwolf-Hermann Hesse
    The Tin Drum-Günter Grass
    J.D. Salinger-Catcher in the Rye
    Mario Vargas Llosa-La Fiesta del Chivo
    Nelson Mandela-Long Walk to Freedom
    Buried Alive:The Biography of Janis Joplin-Myra Friedman
    Touching from a Distance: Ian Curtis and Joy Division-Deborah Curtis
    Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain-Charles R. Cross
    Plase Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk Rock-Legs McNeil&Gillian McCain
    England's Dreaming: Anarchy, Sex Pistols, Punk Rock, and Beyond-John Savage

I also have more than 20 books about the Peronist Movement, the Montoneros Guerilla and the Peronist Left
    And, finally I don't know how many books/papers/manuals about Economic Theory, Econometrics, Statistics, Math, Fiscal Policy, Monetary Policy, Social Policy, Public Politics, etc, from the time I was a student

PS: for those with some preferences for Latin American writers, I highly recommend Mario Vargas Llosa, Julio Cortazar and Jorge Luis Borges books!!!
    One random shelf? I have thirteen big ole bookcases in this room. I'll do one shelf, because even if I do one case, I'll be here all night. Er... hang on....

The Complete Pelican Shakespeare - Comedy and Romances (Pelican)
    The Complete Pelican Shakespeare - Histories and Tragedies (Pelican)
    The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Midpoint Press)
    Shakspeare (sic) - another complete works (Kegan Paul Ltd 1909)
    Shakespeare in Production: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Cambridge)
    Twelfth Night (Oxford)
    Othello (Cambridge Schools)
    Shakespeare in Production: Antony and Cleopatra (Cambridge)
    Shakespeare's Sonnets (eds. Ingram and Redpath)
    Antony and Cleopatra (Oxford)
    Shakespeare in Production: The Tempest (Cambridge)
    The Cambridge Companion to Shakespeare on Film (Cambridge)
    The Merchant of Venice (Cambridge Schools)
    Duncan Salkeld - Madness and Drama in the Age of Shakespeare (Manchester)
    Keir Elam - Shakespeare's Universe of Discourses (Cambridge)
    The Norton Shakespeare
    Mr William Shakespeares: A Facsimile of the First Folio, 1623 (Routledge)
    Helen Vendler - The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets (Harvard)
    The TLS on Shakespeare (TLS)
    Anne Righter - Shakespeare and the Idea of the Play (Penguin)
    The Longman Guide to Shakespeare Quotations (Longman)

There ya go. Yes, every edition is different.
    Yeah, my shelves look a lot like that, too ;)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Wow - great collection, Brynzie......

I have Charles Bukowski - "The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain" (poetry) & we have a few books in common.......
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    What? No one has Exam Cram's CCNA Study Guide by Tod Lamle?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Ahnimus wrote:
    What? No one has Exam Cram's CCNA Study Guide by Tod Lamle?

I am waiting for someone to list something quasi-normal, like something in the "For Dummies" series, or like 80 volumes of the long-standing Western serial "Longarm".
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Barry Lopez, Gretel Ehrlich (nature writers)
    I haven't had the time to read Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams, but I've wanted to for a while. I've read The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Ehrlich's, but I didn't finish Questions of Heaven or MATCH TO THE HEART, A: One Woman's Story of Being Struck by Lightning. I think my nature writing reading phase ran it's course a couple years ago.
    I am waiting for someone to list something quasi-normal, like something in the "For Dummies" series, or like 80 volumes of the long-standing Western serial "Longarm".

I don't have any "For Dummies" books, there is something about the title that makes me not want to buy it. I'd sooner by the "For Scientists and Engineers" and read it four or five times until I understand it.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Come on, now ... you know better than to come to the MT looking for normality ;)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    I had Architecture for Dummies, I have Knitting for Dummies, and I had Drawing for Dummies. I have Project Management for Idiot's, and a few other's. That's not the shelf I'm going to focus on, though.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I had Architecture for Dummies, I have Knitting for Dummies, and I had Drawing for Dummies. I have Project Management for Idiot's, and a few other's. That's not the shelf I'm going to focus on, though.

:)

Yes indeed ... This forum requires a different focus, no?

I have a LOT of work-related books ... Manuals, etc. Some classics by people like Freud, Jung, Adler ... I actually have a fair number of the books Kenny mentioned ... My fiance is the one who actually owns great literature. I read too much non-fiction, probably.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I haven't had the time to read Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams, but I've wanted to for a while. I've read The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Ehrlich's, but I didn't finish Questions of Heaven or MATCH TO THE HEART, A: One Woman's Story of Being Struck by Lightning. I think my nature writing reading phase ran it's course a couple years ago.

Ran it's course? Oh, too bad, there's so many great books on the subject....
    I've read Match to the Heart & Open Spaces - really good. Just finished Barry Lopez' - "Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren" & loved it. If you like Lopez, check out "Of Wolves & Men" - awesome. It's one of his earlier works.

For the animal lovers, I also recommend "The Ten Trusts" by Jane Goodall & "When Elephants Weep" by Jeffrey M. Masson. And since winter is coming, Bernd Heinrich's "Winter World".......

I know there are a lot of feline lovers on this board, I can recommend some good ones for u too!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Wow - great collection, Brynzie......

I have Charles Bukowski - "The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain" (poetry) & we have a few books in common.......

Yeah. He's the man. I love his early short story collection 'Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and general tales of ordinary madness', and his poems - especially 'You get so Alone..' and 'Betting on the muse'.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Ran it's course? Oh, too bad, there's so many great books on the subject....
    I've read Match to the Heart & Open Spaces - really good. Just finished Barry Lopez' - "Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren" & loved it. If you like Lopez, check out "Of Wolves & Men" - awesome. It's one of his earlier works.

For the animal lovers, I also recommend "The Ten Trusts" by Jane Goodall & "When Elephants Weep" by Jeffrey M. Masson. And since winter is coming, Bernd Heinrich's "Winter World".......

I know there are a lot of feline lovers on this board, I can recommend some good ones for u too!
    I loved When Elephants Weep. I lent that book to many people.

Have you read The Tapir's Morning Bath? I just got it recently, it's in the running for "book to be read next," I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    every contact leaves a trace - dr. zakarias erzinclioglu

I like the sound of that - cool title!
    This thread is making me naseous
    hippiemom wrote:

Have you read The Tapir's Morning Bath? I just got it recently, it's in the running for "book to be read next," I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it.

No, can't say that I have. But I'll prolly check it out - I love reading about animals/nature.."way back when" I wanted to be an oceanographer or a forest ranger or something like that.....didn't pursue it, but my interests are still very much hooked in w/all that.

PM me, hippiemom, if you want some titles....I got tons of 'em! :-)
    PS- you look great in the photo I saw on another thread!
  • CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Charles Bukowski - Betting on the muse
    Charles Bukowski - Last night of the Earth Poems
    Charles Bukowski - Poems written before jumping out of an 8 story window
    Charles Bukowski - The Days run away like horses over the Hills
    Charles Bukowski - Notes of a dirty old man

Cool, another Hank fan...my favorite, however, is one of his late books: Hollywood
  • hippiemom wrote:

Jeffrey Masson wrote another excellent book about dogs -- "Dogs Never Lie About Love." It was wonderful!! Great stories about dogs' amazing abilities, combined with a really touching portrait of his relationship with his own dogs.
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
    CaterinaA wrote:
    Cool, another Hank fan...my favorite, however, is one of his late books: Hollywood

I've got more than I've listed - too many to list.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Yeah. He's the man. I love his early short story collection 'Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and general tales of ordinary madness', and his poems - especially 'You get so Alone..' and 'Betting on the muse'.

There's a new movie out recently about him. I haven't seen it yet - "Factotum" starring Matt Dillon. Have you seen it?
    Hope&Anger wrote:
    Jeffrey Masson wrote another excellent book about dogs -- "Dogs Never Lie About Love." It was wonderful!! Great stories about dogs' amazing abilities, combined with a really touching portrait of his relationship with his own dogs.

I heard about that - He also has one about cats called "The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats (A Journey into the Feline Heart)". It was really good. I'd like to read the 1 you mentioned too. Thanks for the info.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    This thread is making me naseous

Well, Ahnimus, maybe you just don't like to read.....??? Hmm?
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Well, Ahnimus, maybe you just don't like to read.....??? Hmm?

I like to read, just not fiction or philosophy. I like to read facts. Let's talk about Quantum Mechanics or something. The M.T. is boring today.
    seagoat2 wrote:
    There's a new movie out recently about him. I haven't seen it yet - "Factotum" starring Matt Dillon. Have you seen it?

Yeah. I can send you a copy if you like. Just pm me your address.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I like to read, just not fiction or philosophy. I like to read facts. Let's talk about Quantum Mechanics or something. The M.T. is boring today.

Quantum Mechanics?? Huh? Boring.......I suggested lots of books that are factual - how about history? I like that too.....
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Quantum Mechanics?? Huh? Boring.......I suggested lots of books that are factual - how about history? I like that too.....

Meh history is so-so, depends on what it is I guess
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Meh history is so-so, depends on what it is I guess

Well, like what?
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Well, like what?

Well we just discussed the Third Reich, so that's out of the question. What about Asian history. I read that the North American Natives were believed to be Asians that discovered N. America long before the English or French, but before that was even Norse Vikings. Also Ninjitsu was a cool art.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well we just discussed the Third Reich, so that's out of the question. What about Asian history. I read that the North American Natives were believed to be Asians that discovered N. America long before the English or French, but before that was even Norse Vikings. Also Ninjitsu was a cool art.

Hmm, haven't read much Asian history....as far as Native Americans, there's a theoery that they crossed a land bridge from Asia eons ago, but I don't kow much about it. I assume ninjitsu is a martial art? My fiance used to be a national champ in Kajukempo. It's a combo of karate/judo/kempo or something......i think they call it "American Karate".