Options

Random 10c seating is a GREAT idea

124»

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I say only do random 10c in cities with more than one show. Say if they play 2 nights at MSG do one night random, one night seniority. If they are only playing one date in that town then it should be by seniority at this point.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I say only do random 10c in cities with more than one show. Say if they play 2 nights at MSG do one night random, one night seniority. If they are only playing one date in that town then it should be by seniority at this point.

That's probably the most rational idea I've seen yet.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,564
    with the amount of "heated discussion" taking place on the message-board and elsewhere lately i wouldn't be surprised if 10C simply said "fuck it!" and just turned its back on every single privilege afforded to us these last few years and simply let the pieces fall where they may,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    i dont believe that just bc your in the fan club longer than me that your a bigger fan. my number is 250xxx. i have only been a member since like 03 but been a fan since within 6 months of ten coming out. i just never got into the fan club due to partial laziness on my part and i am only 24 so i didn't really go to many of the concerts since they don't really come to lexington,ky. so i have been a fan for a long time but not a member. sorry that's just my opinion. i do respect the long term members but i feel like it is time to give some others a chance. i love pearl jam and listen to them as much as anyone else. although i do have a life and don't just sit here and bitch about everything the fan club doesn't do right. i am thankful for everything the 10c does and appreciate it all. it would be nice if they did more but i would expect to pay more. i am satisfied with the amount they do compared to what i pay. thats my drunken rant and go ahead and bitch about that.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    I'm just gonna throw this idea out there, while we're at it. How about a designated GA 10C seating area? Not like a pit, but just a designated seating area. Then, the people that show up early (i.e. hardcore PJ fans) would get better seats and it would be a lot harder to scalp. Plus, an all day pre-PJ show barbecue and hang out fest filled would cool fans would be fun as hell. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Look, seniority is a great idea. Those of us with low numbers have been dedicated for a long time, we deserve some love.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I went to my first show in 1995 in San Diego. I passed up the chance to see Sublime in a club with a buddy of mine who had been begging me to check out this new punk sound.

I actually bought the ticket from a Fan Club member. I actually had no idea at the time that there was a fan club. Anyway the dudes name is on the ticket. It's the cool tickets that were printed during the F$@k TM days. I think I paid double face value which was $24.00.

In 1998 I saw them in Mansfield, MA. Was loving the Last Kiss song at the time. I think I found out in late 1998 that the Last Kiss was the single on the x'mas record from a friend who was in the 10 club.

I think I wrote a letter to the club with $20.00. The membership was $10.00 a year but I asked if they could grandfather me into the club and send me the 1998 single.

They did and the rest is history.

My number is 184XXX as you can see in my signature. I joined for the above reason and didn't know anything about 10 Club pre-sale or assigned seating.

I generally get row 10 but have been back quite a ways at some shows.

Anyway I don't care one way or the other about randomization or seniority personally but would think for the good of all they should do this.

(Kind of the consensus from anyone who isn't totally greedy)

If there are two nights in the same town then go seniority for the 1st and perhaps even reverse seniority for the 2nd.

Or even just split each row with half being seniority and half being random for every show.

I've never been upset sitting far away and would be happy to have others get up close.

Sorry for the long story just wanted to let it out and give a specific time table for my number so people can have a perspective about when people joined.

Nate
  • Options
    In 06 I went to three shows, 2 in LA and 1 in SF. The 2 LA shows were normal fan club seats, I think I was 10-15 rows back. The SF show was GA so the floor was probably mixed with people with various fan
    club numbers. Did I notice a difference in "energy" between the two sets of crowds? No Way.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    I'd love to see someone with a high 10c number give up their seats to a person in the very last row, at the very top, in the very back of the arena, and then see whats its like to really have a shitty seat.

why not give that person the chance to be up close with the rest of the people who have a lot of energy? Maybe that person in the last row is a 10clubber who wasn't able to score tickets through the 10club sale, don't they deserve a shot to be up close too?
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    i dont believe that just bc your in the fan club longer than me that your a bigger fan. my number is 250xxx. i have only been a member since like 03 but been a fan since within 6 months of ten coming out. i just never got into the fan club due to partial laziness on my part and i am only 24 so i didn't really go to many of the concerts since they don't really come to lexington,ky. so i have been a fan for a long time but not a member. sorry that's just my opinion. i do respect the long term members but i feel like it is time to give some others a chance. i love pearl jam and listen to them as much as anyone else. although i do have a life and don't just sit here and bitch about everything the fan club doesn't do right. i am thankful for everything the 10c does and appreciate it all. it would be nice if they did more but i would expect to pay more. i am satisfied with the amount they do compared to what i pay. thats my drunken rant and go ahead and bitch about that.

i dont believe that just bc you are in line to use the urinal ahead of me that you have to take a piss more than i do. I'm 3rd in line to take a piss. i have only had to take a piss since like 5:30 but my bladder has been filling since I started listening to binaural at 4. I just never got into line due to partial laziness on my part and I am only 26 so i don't really like to get up to take a piss because the bathroom is so far away. so i have had to take a piss for a long time, but not been in line. I do respect the people who are ahead of me in line but i feel like it is time to give others a chance to cut in line and piss ahead of them. I love taking a piss and like to go to the bathroom as much as anyone else. although i do have a life and i dont sit here and bitch about all the people who have been standing in line ahead of me. im thankful for urinals and appreciate it all. it would be nice if there were urinal cakes in all of them though. i am satisfied after taking a piss, i just wish i could get to the front of the line although i have paid less and waited for a shorter time than those ahead of me.

Sorry...I couldn't resist... :) all in good fun but do you see my point?
  • Options
    Same argument, different thread. I've been reading this board for the past 5 years now. There's got to be hundreds of "10c senority" threads.

Don't you people realize it's the same arguments over and over and over again? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

The two sides will never come together. It will always be oldies vs. newbies and 10c will never change it's policy. So many people think they have the ultimate solution to the "problem" while plain and simply put, 10c keeps it's policy.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    smaksmak Posts: 226
    As someone who joined about a year after 10 came out here are things I wouldn't mind.

1. In cities that have 2 shows, randomize one show. Absolutely. Let us know which is which. The senior people will pick that show, the newer people will pick the random show. The people in the middle will have to chose. They have a 50/50 shot of getting better seats, but also 50/50 at getting worse seats.

2. Pick 20 random people to move up to the first 5 rows. Sure, i wouldn't have a problem with that.

The thing I don't want is for me after 16 years in the fan club, most without even getting seniority seating having to sit way in the back.

But moving a few dozen people in front of me, pushing me back a row or 2, not a big deal.

3. The home show idea, letting everybody pick 1 show, where they get priority over people for whom it's their 8th show...Agreed. I'm not that big of a traveler to shows anyway. I've gone to Vegas for a few shows, I went to London, Ont because my Pearl Jam lovin friend lived in Detroit. I went to Tampa because my PJ lovin cousin lived there.

Other than that, let me see them based on my seniority for at least 1 show, I don't care if i'm 12-15 rows back for anything else I might go to.

I think doing any of that will actually get me better seats for my "home show". I'm sure there are some people coming to my show from other areas who have a better # than me. If you do the home show idea, even I will get better seats for that show.

-smak-
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Same argument, different thread. I've been reading this board for the past 5 years now. There's got to be hundreds of "10c senority" threads.

Don't you people realize it's the same arguments over and over and over again? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

The two sides will never come together. It will always be oldies vs. newbies and 10c will never change it's policy. So many people think they have the ultimate solution to the "problem" while plain and simply put, 10c keeps it's policy.
    While I will agree that the two won't ever come together, I disagree that 10c will never change. I've been in the 10c since 1993 and it has changed quite a bit. Where I don't see it changing is doing away with senority completely. I can see some "tweaking" with the policy happening though. :) Whatever happens, I completely support them and am just tired of these threads and arguments and solutions. Enough already! :D
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    I'd just like to get a friggin seat anywhere!!!!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands wrote:
    is a great idea... i really hope the band goes in this direction for future tours... i am sure it sucks for the band to see the same 100 faces upfront every night, it probabaly sucks the energy out of the show a little for them... not to mention the folks up front are used to being upfront and they dont bring their a-game energy to every show... let some noobs get up there and freak out

everyshow i go to with my 10c i am in the same general area, and i would like it to be mixed up... i think it would be awesome to get random tickets and open that envelope before the show to discover where you are...

i think it is a great idea and would add alot of evergy to the show, especially up front... it would also expand interest in joining the 10c if noobs had a random chance at amazing seats...

i am not suprised at all that Eddie is doing this for his shows... and i think it is a sign of things to come... hopefully

this guy is one smart dude :)
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    agreed glad its only a few rows though lol
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    that's all anyone really ever asked/wished for...just a chance. i think it's beautiful, for all.

and m2h....many os us have been singing that same tune for many years. :) happy to see it all come to fruition. i think it'll be AMAZING for everyone!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    BeavBeav Posts: 223
    My question then is, how do you prevent a scalper who only buys a membership on years when there is a tour rumor, from having access to the front row?

The significance of this problem is minuscule. We're talking 4 rows total out of the whole ten club. What are the odds that there'd be any more than a few scalper-held seats. There's no point in worrying.
    And I don't understand the logic in being so bent out of shape over the SHARING of a measly FOUR rows. G-R-E-E-D... G-R-E-E-D
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    B-Girl wrote:

exactly

be happy - you are seeing live shows, and really in a pretty short space of time since their last tour

its a few rows, even if you get pushed back a bit, its not like your sitting at the back of the stadium

sometimes i wonder if the only thing that would make everyone happy is if they all got invited up for 5 minutes on stage with ed and the band then lined up and personally kissed your feet
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    B-Girl wrote:
    agreed, I'm just happy to be in the place.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    my2hands wrote:
    is a great idea... i really hope the band goes in this direction for future tours... i am sure it sucks for the band to see the same 100 faces upfront every night, it probabaly sucks the energy out of the show a little for them... not to mention the folks up front are used to being upfront and they dont bring their a-game energy to every show... let some noobs get up there and freak out

everyshow i go to with my 10c i am in the same general area, and i would like it to be mixed up... i think it would be awesome to get random tickets and open that envelope before the show to discover where you are...

i think it is a great idea and would add alot of evergy to the show, especially up front... it would also expand interest in joining the 10c if noobs had a random chance at amazing seats...

i am not suprised at all that Eddie is doing this for his shows... and i think it is a sign of things to come... hopefully

Doesn't matter to me cause no matter where I am 1-3rd row and I'm not even a 10c member
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Once upon a time, I'd be in front of all of you (I joined in 1992). Sadly, when I started college (1996), and renewal time came up, eating took precedent over renewing my membership. At that time, they were taking on Ticketmaster and it didn't look like they were going to come anywhere NEAR me again, so I didn't think much of it, until after I graduated, when the Binaural tour was about to happen.

I let it lapse again when we had the baby... Now, I'm gonna be stuck in the back of the 10c seats (if I can even get them), come next tour.

(Sigh)

I do think (and this isn't sour grapes) that allotting, say 10% of the first ten rows for random distribution among those with numbers over, say, 200XXX, or maybe taking proximity into account -- if you're closer to home, you're more likely to get a decent seat, it's fair, especially to those of us in our thirties with jobs and kids who can't take several weeks off to Grateful Dead/Phish our way around the country (you know, their original demographic ;) -- maybe some mix of a lottery and proximity, etc.

As I recall, once upon a time, you were given seats over people ahead of you if you were at your "home" show.

Cincinnati, Columbus 2000
    Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    i wouldn't expand it to a total lottery. Perhaps do like last tour but expand to first 4 rows and rows 10-14 instead of 1, 2 9 and 10...just a proposal...hopefully this is something that wuld keep all fans happy including long time 10c members.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I think the lottery used for the 2008 tour is a great compromise.
    Senority isnt really affected and some new folks get close. Win win.

Id suggest the 10c focus on getting more tickets for each show, at least in the major markets, so everyone can go without getting shut out.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Get_Right wrote:

Id suggest the 10c focus on getting more tickets for each show, at least in the major markets, so everyone can go without getting shut out.

i am in total agrement with that...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Get_Right wrote:

look who's bumping/supporting the new system now eh? ;)
    good to see/hear! :D
    it was FANTASTIC absolutely...win-win all-round imho, and EXACTLY what i have hoped, and loudly/relentlessly posted for.....in fact, it is MORE than i had hoped for! i hope it continues for EVERY pearl jam tour!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    look who's bumping/supporting the new system now eh? ;)
    good to see/hear! :D
    it was FANTASTIC absolutely...win-win all-round imho, and EXACTLY what i have hoped, and loudly/relentlessly posted for.....in fact, it is MORE than i had hoped for! i hope it continues for EVERY pearl jam tour!

Ive always supported a first few rows system. As long as it doesnt push me back too far ;) and as long as my hat is also in the ring! :D
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I'm looking to move up from my already decent seats..I'm not looking to move back
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG