Options

Random 10c seating is a GREAT idea

Comments

• Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I think that every person should be entitled to declare 1 show where they'd like to get further up. I mean, I just kind of get annoyed at the people who aren't effected by sitting up front anymore, but they got to 5+ shows a tour, and have been for a decade now. I live in Pittsburgh - why should some dude from California get front row seats at the Pittsburgh show, when it's one of 10 shows he's seeing at that tour...but it's my first & only show?

No matter what it is, someone is going to be unhappy. This is just a war between the old-timers, and the new-timers. The former don't want to give up their seats; the latter want to sit up front. No one is going to budge, no one is going to quit complaining.

It just kind of annoys me that I have next to 0% chance to ever see my favorite band live from the first 5 rows. And not only that, but the same people have been sitting up front for years and take it for granted. Yeah, I can go to Lolla or 'Roo and try to get up front, but (a) it's harder and (b) it's a festival so you aren't even as close. They started doing GA shows, but those were more in Cali, if I remember right. Just give us a chance - just let us pick 1 show where we want to have our number count higher than it is, and then let us go back to sitting in the back of the Fan Club section. Or, let the hometown people sit up front.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my2hands wrote:
    thats how your coming off...

i have sat 5th row and i have sat in the lawn... both were great experiences...

i guess people are just greedy by nature...

Please dont misquote me.
    Why would a new member be entitled to a privilege that has always been earned through years of supporting the band and the fan club?

I said it was an earned privilege-from that you get entitlement and greedy?
    nice try

And yes in case you havent noticed its pretty tough to get decent seats to ANY show these days.

Yes I am protective of the senority system. It gets me good seats to see my favorite band after paying my dues (literally and figuratively) for a long time.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    Do what Springsteen did for the first ten rows for his shows - when you pick up the tickets at will call, they put a wristband on you; to get into the show you have to have both the ticket and the wristband.

Even though there weren't physical tickets this is how they handled the Vic.

I guess the question really meant, 'how do you prevent the opportunist who only buys a membership on years when there is a tour rumor, from having access to the front row?" As opposed to the faithfull member who paid his dues for years regardless of touring or not.
  • Options
    cc10106 wrote:
    GA sucks and is dangerous. If they headline ACL i'll prob skip it due to the first reason. Not to mention some people will inevitably get hurt. I think shaking things up just a little in the seating department couldn't hurt. But it needs to be done in a way to not alienate old school members, yet allow some newER members a chance to see the band from a reasonable distance. By 'newer' i don't particularly mean people who just signed up this year. I've been a member for 5 or 6 years and have never seen them in the first 20 rows. Not that I ever had any problem with my seats, and it's not like they TOUR HERE anyway. Bastards. Anyway, if I was used to getting to see them from 10 rows away or closer, I'd certainly be willing to take a reserved seat further back every now and then. Especially if the band was playing multiple nights in one city.

I agree, Im done with GA.
  • Options
    cc10106 wrote:
    GA sucks and is dangerous.
    GA is exciting and gives everyone an opportunity. OK, GA means that if you want to get to the front, you need to queue. Or, if you know your way around, you can still get close to the front even without queuing that much! You can also move back if need be. Obviously, the moving around is if it is GA standing. GA seating also gives everyone the same opportunity, though seating is not that fun.

I understand there is a huge cultural difference between the US and Europe when it comes to GA and standing. I notice from a lot of threads that the Americans have their 'piss breaks' and go get beers, etc. during the shows. I understand that they would like to get back to their place after that, so I guess assigned seating is best for them!
  • Options
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    I still like the idea of the first two rows being random; this only moves the old-timers back 2 rows and gives everyone a chance to be up front...

that I agree with
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    they will not change the senority of fan club tickets for PJ shows - it's been their thing all along

*locked*
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    The system I'd like to see implemented for full band tours is to allow 10C members to get a pair of tickets to as many shows as they want (like they currently do), but also to be able to specify a limited set of top priority shows.

Arrange the two groups of tickets by seniority within each group. The top priority group gets the best seats (so fans only catching say one show in their home town get a chance for decent seats), followed by the fans who don't list the show as their top priority.

Perhaps the system could be set like you get to mark one show as top priority for every 5 shows you're attending. I'd also recommend making exceptions for certain venues (like MSG) where the number of people likely to mark it top priority would negate the value.

The feasibility of this idea really depends on statistics of how people order (eg. do the bulk of the 10C attend X amounts of shows, and what percent of X has a member number below YYYYY). I'm sure with some thought, balance could be achieved such that even the worst top priority seat is good (and likewise the best normal priority seats are also good).

Anyways, just my opinion. My 10C got me decent seats in the shows I attended last tour, but I have pretty much little hope of ever cracking the front row.
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    It's not that hard to avoid commotion at GA shows. I went to Rage at Coachella with my GF last year and we were fine. We just had to move around a couple of times to find a comfortable spot.

I personally feel seats on the floor drain the energy from the crowd because there is no room to move around. Every time I jump up I hit my friggin knee on the chair in front of me. I think i get more bruises from hitting my knees on the chair then I do in a pit. I'm also 6'3 so I need more room then the average Jammer.

That's why my idea would call for people who don't want to be GA to be 1st row side stage. Those are often the best seats other then the first 3 rows anyways.

That's the thing. When I saw Ben Harper headline the last night at ACL a few years ago, there was ZERO room to move around. Need to leave to take a whiz? Haha, wrong! Don't want dirty festival goers pushing on you to get out of the way and/or trying to steal your shit (or smoke!)? You in the wrong place! Worst place to even think of starting a fight with someone that deserves a pounding, believe me. You're stuck with the hippie douche rats, just how it is. And not to mention it was one of the absolute mellowest/most boring performances I've ever seen. (Nothing against Ben, just didn't compare to his live album.) Yet everyone around me still acted like it was KISS at the Garden or some shit. Guess if I do get to see PJ at ACL, I'll wait all day to be very at the very front, or enjoy the show from farther back.

PJ rarely even plays GA shows in the US. Europe and other countries is obviously a little different though.
  • Options
    cc10106 wrote:
    PJ rarely even plays GA shows in the US. Europe and other countries is obviously a little different though.
    It gives them a buzz!
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I agree that there should be some sort of hometown based ticket thing, not sure how it would work, but hopefully something. Like someone said, someone from California could come on his or her 10th show into Grand Rapids and get first row when that's the only show i can afford.

Or what if there was some sort of seniority based GA? Have the chairs still set up, and depending on your 10C number, you would get a color coded wristband. Low number is a brighter color, high number darker, for an example. So if you have a lower number and a brighter colored wristband, you can get in 45 minutes before the doors open and pick your 'seat' the next color gets in 30 minutes, etc. Maybe not exactly like this, but work something out with the colored wristbands somehow. This way you're fair to the seniors but while still compromising with the newer members.

Besides, it's not fair when i'm at a show 4 hours early to take in the whole scene and someone walks in during the opening act and gets a better seat.

I would love GA personally, i've only been to two shows with bigger bands with GA and i was 4th and 1st row.

I realized i explained this terribly, but in my head it looks good.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    It's obviously a moot point. People who have been members since '92 don't want it, and people who joined in the past few years will. But I think maybe for one tour it would be cool. I think it's pretty reasonable for the people who have been to DOZENS of shows (at least!) and been close for every single one to let those who have only been to a few shows (or none) get the chance. Just one tour.

P.S - The hometown thing is a REALLY good idea.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    redrock wrote:
    It gives them a buzz!
    I bet it does! I'd love to see a show in Europe or South America! Too bad it's still a huge safety liability (see Roskilde). Most US cities they play there are nice ampitheaters, which beat the hell out of arenas IMO. Arena shows can allow for close viewing GA style tho. PJ just sounds so much better outside, as do most bands.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I'm all for random seating, have been for years. Why should the same people be in the first few rows show after show, year after year?
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    cc10106 wrote:
    I bet it does! I'd love to see a show in Europe or South America! Too bad it's still a huge safety liability (see Roskilde)

Sorry, but I do not see GA shows as a huge safety liability. If they were, they wouldn't happen on a daily basis. Sure they CAN be dangerous, but so can driving a car, or a hundred other things. I think I know which i'm more likely to die doing. What happened in 2000 was a freak accident, and accidents do happen. It doesn't mean that we're going to stop doing these things (rest assured I mean no disrespect at all, and am not claiming that what happened wasn't a tragedy). I've been to a lot of GA shows, and i've always been fine. I've been at the front for a lot of them, and i've always come out unscathed. People look after each other, and for the most part, they are perfectly safe.

I'm sorry to detract from the point of the thread, but this annoyed me.

As for the original point of the thread, i've never been to a seated PJ show so I can't comment, but as many people have pointed out, it's just a battle between new and old fans, and you're never going to please everyone. As for the argument that people should wait for their time...the "new" fans could be in the fanclub for 10, even 15 years, and they're still never going to get near the front because of those older fans digging their heels in and refusing to budge.

Being from Europe, I have no problem with the system at all. If I want to get close...I go early, and I queue. What has bothered me about the seniority seating is, I always go to shows with the same group of friends, but the way it is set up in America, I would only be able to sit with one of them, and that would seriously detract from my enjoyment of the show.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Sorry, but I do not see GA shows as a huge safety liability. If they were, they wouldn't happen on a daily basis. Sure they CAN be dangerous, but so can driving a car, or a hundred other things. I think I know which i'm more likely to die doing. What happened in 2000 was a freak accident, and accidents do happen. It doesn't mean that we're going to stop doing these things (rest assured I mean no disrespect at all, and am not claiming that what happened wasn't a tragedy). I've been to a lot of GA shows, and i've always been fine. I've been at the front for a lot of them, and i've always come out unscathed. People look after each other, and for the most part, they are perfectly safe.

I'm sorry to detract from the point of the thread, but this annoyed me.

As for the original point of the thread, i've never been to a seated PJ show so I can't comment, but as many people have pointed out, it's just a battle between new and old fans, and you're never going to please everyone. As for the argument that people should wait for their time...the "new" fans could be in the fanclub for 10, even 15 years, and they're still never going to get near the front because of those older fans digging their heels in and refusing to budge.

Being from Europe, I have no problem with the system at all. If I want to get close...I go early, and I queue. What has bothered me about the seniority seating is, I always go to shows with the same group of friends, but the way it is set up in America, I would only be able to sit with one of them, and that would seriously detract from my enjoyment of the show.

GA sucks
    I want to be able to get up and come back to my space
    and maybe in Europe people are respectful, but not in the states

and dont even get me started about the last minute knuckleheads
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    On the flip side random seating also gives a scalper who bought a membership a month before a tour was announced, a much better chance of having really top seats to sell, compared to a senority system.

That said I do like the idea of a "golden ticket" type situation that has been proposed before where one random set of tickets is front row seats. That way it is not enough people moving up to really push anyone back, but at the same time, everyone has a shot to be at the front.

I haven't read this whole thread, so not sure if anyone responded to your post. The 10c system virtually eliminates the majority of scalpers because you have to pick up your ticket at the venue on the day of the show and present ID to do so. Most scalpers buy up tix and resell them through agencies or on Ebay. That's not possible with the 10c system.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    GA sucks

Well thats quite bad for you guys, and I think that's a quite sad. The majority of people over here are respectful, and it is possible to leave and come back to your spot...just difficult and not recommended. But there are always a few who push their way up, and a few who get drunk and stand on you, but generally, people try to get rid of them.

If you want to drink at shows, fair enough, GA is probably not for you, but even at a seated show, I don't drink. I'm there for the music. :)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Options
    I'd like it to go back to the "hometown show" thing. That was super-fair.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Get_Right wrote:
    GA sucks

Maybe it was because it was a tiny venue, but at the Borgata in 05 people let me out of my space along the rail for both shows when I had to use the facilities or grab a beer.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Get_Right wrote:
    Because we have been paying the membership fee longer ad patiently waiting for our time "up front."

Why would a new member be entitled to a privilege that has always been earned through years of supporting the band and the fan club?

amen. paying that fee for 15 odd years im not giving up my good seats for anyone. call me selfish, i do not care.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    What if they did it similar to the NBA draft lottery. Have all seats be considered random but if you have been a member more then 10 years you are guaranteed at least first 5 rows. If you are a member more then 5 years you are guaranteed first 10 rows. Any newer members aren't guaranteed anything but since its random they have a chance to be real close.

The way its similar to the NBA lottery is that the teams with the worst records are not guaranteed the first pick but they can do no worse then Top 5. Same with PJ if you have a number that is under 100XXX you are guaranteed top 5 rows but not the front row.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Solat13 wrote:
    Maybe it was because it was a tiny venue, but at the Borgata in 05 people let me out of my space along the rail for both shows when I had to use the facilities or grab a beer.
    not in my area... people left and i didn't see them again.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    nfanel wrote:
    not in my area... people left and i didn't see them again.

That's because you were there and you draw a crowd. ;)

I guess Mike's side was just more laid back and plus many of us were in the exact same spot both nights so we kind of bonded.

Mike pointed at me, these three great guys from Portland, this couple from New York and a couple of my friends when he came out Night 2 and said to us, Wow you guys are all back again - so that was pretty cool.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Why not have every other row be random, or one side of the floor be seniority and the other side be random?

Of course, I would prefer GA. If you're hardcore enough, then yer willing to wait!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    its a great idea. Just bc someone was a fan before someone else doesnt mean they are a bigger fan. And like the origional poster said, it will give an extra excitement to purchasing tickets
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Well thats quite bad for you guys, and I think that's a quite sad. The majority of people over here are respectful, and it is possible to leave and come back to your spot...just difficult and not recommended. But there are always a few who push their way up, and a few who get drunk and stand on you, but generally, people try to get rid of them.

If you want to drink at shows, fair enough, GA is probably not for you, but even at a seated show, I don't drink. I'm there for the music. :)

drinks, pee, merch, food, take that emergency call from home, whatever,
    I dont like being forced to get in line, and then stay in one place for an entire evening while last minute drunks and knucleheads try to muscle in front

I dont want to work that hard to have a good time
  • Options

they will not change the senority of fan club tickets for PJ shows - it's been their thing all along

actually, um, no it's not....not by a long shot. unless you consider 2000 the beginning of pearl jam's career and touring? the very FIRST year of 'seniority' seating, and for ONE SHOW ONLY. 2003, first year that made the # of shows unlimited with your seniority for every show, utilizing the 'block system'....2004 VFC NO seniority, 10c/TM presale.....2005 canadian tour the FIRST year utilizing the EXACT system we have today.

can anyone tell me the monatary cost of a membership from 1991 to say 2001? i know someone once tallied up each years membership dues. pure curiosity on my part, but i know it doesn't amount to much.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    and what is your number
    six digits and begins with a 3?

Its not a great idea.

Edit:
    Its a great idea for any shows I dont go to!

So, I'm gathering from your argument, as well as the argument of those that support your position, that the long-time fan club members are the only long-time fans of Pearl Jam. I don't believe that's true in all cases, because I know that's not true for myself. I have only recently (well, two years ago) been financially able to devote a little bit of money yearly to 10 club, even though Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since Ten came out. I know it's only $20 a year, but when I was living paycheck to paycheck, it was $20 I didn't have. Things got considerably better for me, so I was finally able to join 10 club in '05. So I have a six digit fan club number that begins with a 3.

The mentality that 10 club membership numbers determine quality of fanhood is the same mentality that some fans have when they say that they're the most loyal fans because they've been to x number of shows. Once again, I've been a big fan for a long time, but my first show was East Rutherford 2 in '06. Total number of shows I've been to: 2. I'm not saying we should take away all the great seats from the people with the lowest numbers, but at least give me a chance...just once...to get in the first 15 rows. Then I will gladly return to the rear of the 10 club seats for each subsequent show.
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    drinks, pee, merch, food, take that emergency call from home, whatever,
    I dont like being forced to get in line, and then stay in one place for an entire evening while last minute drunks and knucleheads try to muscle in front

I dont want to work that hard to have a good time
    Fair enough, if you don't enjoy it, I can respect that. But i don't consider any of it work, and usually enjoy the whole day, including the queuing aspect of it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~