Ticket Prices

124»

Comments

• Shocking prices no matter what way people try to dress it up or justify it. It's only serving to price out the genuine working man/woman. 

I'm not sure about "The Earthlings" either if I'm honest. I love watching EV solo shows 'cos they're different to those with the band, being just Ed & his guitar/ukelele & a bit of Glen Hansard thrown in but that's just personal choice. 

Anyhow, pay those prices if you wish, but I for one won't out of principle. A priniciple this band once had but seemed to abandon some years ago.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    JC29866 said:
    compared to a Broadway show, which these concerts are now equivalent to, the prices are right on par
    I can get rush tickets for under $100 for Broadway. Broadway is more affordable (except for Hamilton).
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JC29866 said:
    compared to a Broadway show, which these concerts are now equivalent to, the prices are right on par
    I can get rush tickets for under $100 for Broadway. Broadway is more affordable (except for Hamilton).
    Wouldn’t EV be the best comparison to Hamilton though? This is a PJ forum after all 

unless the value judgement is comparing seeing him to seeing Aladdin.  Hardly seems fair 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    JC29866 said:
    We saw TKAMB with Jeff Daniels for $75. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    PJ5a1 said:
    There is no doubt the ticket pricing was a shock. More expensive to see Ed and The Earthlings than PJ... Out of excitement, I went for the two NY shows and the one NJ show... would have cost me $1400 for all three (two tickets per show) then I said that is f'ing crazy so I went down to two - still would have been $900+, so now I am down to one.... The point is - for a band we all followed forever, they've always been against pricing out the fan because they want to maintain their audiences, their true audiences....

This comes across as gauging and doing exactly what they've fought against for all of these years... Is what it is - things change.
    Would the calculation change if ticket resale wasn’t so restricted?  

No doubt you could have put in for the extra show and if you didn’t want to go you could have paid for the one you do go to by selling the other 

I tend to think not being able to subsidise the shows people are actually going to is part of the frustration not just the ticket prices.

it’s a lot of money for a show no doubt but it’s also not in doubt that those tickets are worth much more than the face value 

i tend to be of the opinion that bands can charge what they want but a ticket holder has that same right.  Otherwise it’s just inconsistent capitalism.  The expectation that the fan has more of the responsibility to be “fair” than the band is insane  
    This is probably the best point in this whole thread.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited December 2021
    JC29866 said:
    Wouldn’t EV be the best comparison to Hamilton though? This is a PJ forum after all 

unless the value judgement is comparing seeing him to seeing Aladdin.  Hardly seems fair 
    EV will always be my Hamilton. ;) but even Hamilton has the first two rows for $10 lottery.  =)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    JC29866 said:

EV will always be my Hamilton. ;) but even Hamilton has the first two rows for $10 lottery.  =)
    I am more a Les Miserables person myself. 
  • JC29866 said:

At ticketing time so is most of the forum it appears 
    JC29866 said:

At ticketing time so is most of the forum it appears 
    I hadn't intended it that way, but what you said is pretty spot on.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    edited December 2021
    Post edited by Zod on
  • goblues82 said:
    pkh43 wrote:
    Everyone will jump on me b/c your all psychos. No one can objectively criticize the "boys", even if you are a huge fan like myself. Bear with me though as we go back in history:

2000 tour: $26.00
    2003 tour: $36.00
    2005 tour: $52.00
    2008 tour: $74.00

Almost 300% mark-up in 8 years. Quite the inflation with ticket prices don't you think. Guess Ed needs the money for his Hawaiian vacations and super model girlfriend. I am able to afford these skyrocketing prices, I am a nurse and my wife is a physical therapist, but maybe some other fans are having a hard time paying these "Rolling Stone" type prices. So let the shit begin. If anyone has a opinion against the "jamily" flow, they are ostracized. That is why when I need a good laugh, I read this message pit b/c most on here need to get in touch with reality. See you in Hartford bitches!

We've done this thread already.

First, welcome to 2008.

Inflation, economy sucks right now, gas prices, touring expenses, etc..

Smaller tour = more money to put on.

All that stuff, enjoy the show.

Also, Ed doesn't need our money to take his family to Hawaii, that's just being ignorant to say that.

and... Rolling Stones cost much, much more than Pearl Jam.
    And? The Rolling Stones earned it. Mick Jagger was singing satisfaction when Ed was pissin’ and shittin’ his diapers. Literally.

Earned what? The right to basically be a novelty act like a large scale Kool and the Gang?

I mean no more than the Pearl Jam.. “ahhh we won’t play properly sized venues cuz we’re so true to the intimate experience “ crap… every band has done stadium tours that had the ability to do so… the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, the Eagles, Springsteen… and yes, the Stones. That’s their gimmick and you can see it in the high prices of the current “Ed and friends” tour.
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    tschav said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Ticket prices are usually based on the performance fee requested by an artist's agent.  The higher the fee demanded by the aritst, the higher the ticket price.
    Betting if EV didn't tap Chad Smith, Pino Palladino, Glen, etc for his backing band the prices would be ~$50 cheaper. Small venues and a short cross-country tour needs to be worth it for all of them, not just EV.
    Well, Pino is out for the upcoming dates. That saved about 10 usd.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    JC29866 said:

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I saw Eddie in Europe in 2019, tickets were around 150€, the most I have ever paid for a concert.
    For the sake of comparison, I saw Billy Corgan the same month for 45€ in a 1000 cap venue. 
    Pricing is in the hand of the artist or in the hand of the management company that has been chosen by the artist. 
    Eddie can obviously charge whatever he wants  but fans can obviously consider the pricing as outrageous as they feel.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited December 2021
    I frankly think that this is all a lot less predatory than some of y'all are claiming. There has to be substantial market research done to determine prices like this. At what point are you pricing out low-level scalpers so that legitimate fans who really want to go can more easily get a ticket without paying secondary market prices while also ensuring that the band gets paid at what's been determined to be fair market value for their performance as opposed to all that additional cash going to scalpers who have never worked an honest day in their lives or are just trying to increase their funds to buy up even more Pearl Jam tickets? Pearl Jam tickets are scalped for hundreds of dollars a pop in major metropolitan areas. $250 to see Eddie Vedder in a small cap venue in a place like New York seems about right to me. It unfortunately prices out a lot of fans as well. But if it's worth it to you, then you know what it's going to cost next time and can try to plan for it. Let's be real also...seeing EV solo is nowhere near as good as seeing the band.
    AlaG said:
    I frankly think that this is all a lot less predatory than some of y'all are claiming. There has to be substantial market research done to determine prices like this. At what point are you pricing out low-level scalpers so that legitimate fans who really want to go can more easily get a ticket without paying secondary market prices while also ensuring that the band gets paid at what's been determined to be fair market value for their performance as opposed to all that additional cash going to scalpers who have never worked an honest day in their lives or are just trying to increase their funds to buy up even more Pearl Jam tickets? Pearl Jam tickets are scalped for hundreds of dollars a pop in major metropolitan areas. $250 to see Eddie Vedder in a small cap venue in a place like New York seems about right to me. It unfortunately prices out a lot of fans as well. But if it's worth it to you, then you know what it's going to cost next time and can try to plan for it. Let's be real also...seeing EV solo is nowhere near as good as seeing the band.
    F2F and non transferable tickets are supposed to cut out the scalpers (in the markets that allow it).
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    So the folks in this thread and the other exact same thread about Capitalism sucking because...tickets, will be going into work on Monday and letting their employers know that market value for their work is just a dumb idea and that they'd like to be paid what the employer feels is fair?  Even if it's way below the market value and industry standard?  Of course they won't.  It's an argument of convenience that fits whatever made up narrative people are trying to create. We'd all love 200 shows a year, in our preferred venue type, within walking distance of our home, with exclusive seating on the rail for us in perpetuity, while the band manages an endless supply or posters and merch that are available for preorder, while they pay all staff a full living wage with benefits and stick it to the man. If we could just get all of that for say, I dunno...free or at most $50?  Seems both realistic and fair. Where can I sign the "Official Petition to.."
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    edited December 2021
    The rail in perpetuity seems like more work than I'm willing to put in.  Sweaty, drunks pushing and kicking you non-stop.  I like the idea of them playing within walking distance of my house.  But, again, the associated vehicle traffic would overcomplicate my life.  200 shows is also a lot.  Maybe, like 50?  Every Friday of Saturday night seems about right.  Then I could go if I want to, or skip a week if I wanted to go out of town.  $50 seems fair.  But I'd pay $100.  Oh, also, prefer an outdoor venue most of the time.  But I'd be fine with them moving inside if the weather is bad.  I think that covers it.  I don't really need any more merch.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    If you don't want to pay the price, don't enter for tickets, simple as that.  You have no right to argue with those who choose to pay that price.  As far as the artist charging that price, it's economics, supply and demand.  The demand is there, the supply is limited, hence they can charge what they want.  Not saying I agree with these prices, but as long as there are those who are willing to pay . . .
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    Is the phk43 pic (who started this thread) a penis and pubic hair?
  • Little ItalyLittle Italy Posts: 404
    edited December 2021
    (Morgan Freeman voice)

”It was at this moment when they finally learned that 10c tickets are now under the full control of Ticketmaster”

"he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • For perspective. Have you seen prices for Adele’s residency? All verified fan sales. All sold out. Now go look at resale sites

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Yeah these ticket prices are way too high, nobody wants them.

Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    For perspective. Have you seen prices for Adele’s residency? All verified fan sales. All sold out. Now go look at resale sites

I just went to Stubhub to take a look. Son of a Nutcracker those are expensive! 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    tdawe said:
    Yeah these ticket prices are way too high, nobody wants them.

as long as there is a gap between what people (however many seats a particular venue holds) are willing to pay and the face value of a ticket this happens.

if a market is in equilibrium 2000 seats would be readily available to the 2000 people who want to buy tickets to that show.  Sure it prices out most but that’s how an efficient market is supposed to work with a high demand and a limited quantity. 

Tickets can’t be both too expensive and too hard to get at the same time.  They can either be too cheap and thus hard to find or too expensive and readily available.

tickets were sold to the show well below market value. Fact.  They clearly could have made even more money but chose not to.  I have no idea why, it’s not like they get any goodwill for charging below market. It’s a lose lose for them no matter what they do. Charge even less and there are less price complaints but astronomically more “I can’t get tickets” complaints as even more people just got priced into the lottery. 

Do we want a chance to actually get tickets or do we want them so cheap you’ll never have a chance to get selected?  The price is directly related to that 

pick one, not both
This discussion has been closed.