Ticket Prices

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
    www.cluthelee.com
  • A review of publicly available data by DecisionData.org found the average cable package costs $217.42 per month. That's more than many households pay for other utilities combined, according to the website. It also notes that cable package prices are similar regardless of the size of a household.Aug 12, 2021

I’ll gladly give up TV for a night with Ed.
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 370
    A review of publicly available data by DecisionData.org found the average cable package costs $217.42 per month. That's more than many households pay for other utilities combined, according to the website. It also notes that cable package prices are similar regardless of the size of a household.Aug 12, 2021

1 night. You’d have to go without cable for over a month
  • The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
    You are good. I applaud you sir. great thread bump
  • Compared to other bands $250 can absolutely seem excessive for the amount of music these shows are gonna provide. Other than probably the final shows in Seattle, they will probably be less than or close to 2 hr shows.  It’s not gonna be like an epic PJ show. But nevertheless, I’ll probably put in for tickets because I haven’t been to a show in 3 years and I love this friggin band. But I do think that part of the rationale behind ticket price is that it’s kind of an all-star band playing some special shows. Even the very first Ed Solo shows were more expensive than PJ tickets at the time and there was a push to market them as “special” shows. Whether they were or not is of course subject to the individual but I know for me personally, I’ve never left an Ed or PJ show feeling ripped off. Even the times I’ve hemmed and hawed about ticket price initially, I’ve always felt I got my money’s worth in the end. 
  • this weekend we got a top shelf club show for $20 a ticket. big win
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,400
    $85 bucks to see metallica.. tool was 125. PJ was like 120...

Outside of Ed the earthlings are just washed old musicians who weren't even the highlights of their main band and they are asking $250 a shot for a handful of mediocre to pretty good originals and a dozen subpar covers.. yikes not even sure how this works. Can't imagine any of these sell out
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    $85 bucks to see metallica.. tool was 125. PJ was like 120...

Outside of Ed the earthlings are just washed old musicians who weren't even the highlights of their main band and they are asking $250 a shot for a handful of mediocre to pretty good originals and a dozen subpar covers.. yikes not even sure how this works. Can't imagine any of these sell out

There was nothing subpar about the covers of Drive, Im One, Should I Stay or Should I Go, and Give Blood. In fact they were amazing and a nice change from Ed solo.
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    There is no doubt the ticket pricing was a shock. More expensive to see Ed and The Earthlings than PJ... Out of excitement, I went for the two NY shows and the one NJ show... would have cost me $1400 for all three (two tickets per show) then I said that is f'ing crazy so I went down to two - still would have been $900+, so now I am down to one.... The point is - for a band we all followed forever, they've always been against pricing out the fan because they want to maintain their audiences, their true audiences....

This comes across as gauging and doing exactly what they've fought against for all of these years... Is what it is - things change.
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • PJ5a1 said:
    There is no doubt the ticket pricing was a shock. More expensive to see Ed and The Earthlings than PJ... Out of excitement, I went for the two NY shows and the one NJ show... would have cost me $1400 for all three (two tickets per show) then I said that is f'ing crazy so I went down to two - still would have been $900+, so now I am down to one.... The point is - for a band we all followed forever, they've always been against pricing out the fan because they want to maintain their audiences, their true audiences....

This comes across as gauging and doing exactly what they've fought against for all of these years... Is what it is - things change.
    Would the calculation change if ticket resale wasn’t so restricted?  

No doubt you could have put in for the extra show and if you didn’t want to go you could have paid for the one you do go to by selling the other 

I tend to think not being able to subsidise the shows people are actually going to is part of the frustration not just the ticket prices.

it’s a lot of money for a show no doubt but it’s also not in doubt that those tickets are worth much more than the face value 

i tend to be of the opinion that bands can charge what they want but a ticket holder has that same right.  Otherwise it’s just inconsistent capitalism.  The expectation that the fan has more of the responsibility to be “fair” than the band is insane 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    PJ5a1 said:

You can’t win both NY shows through 10c. Fine print.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    A review of publicly available data by DecisionData.org found the average cable package costs $217.42 per month. That's more than many households pay for other utilities combined, according to the website. It also notes that cable package prices are similar regardless of the size of a household.Aug 12, 2021

That has to be TV/internet/phone. Anyone who is paying more than $100 just for cable should cancel immediately and just go streaming (plus Hulu or YouTube for live sports).
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021

That has to be TV/internet/phone. Anyone who is paying more than $100 just for cable should cancel immediately and just go streaming (plus Hulu or YouTube for live sports).
    Probably a bundle but Hulu live tv is pretty close to 100 on it’s own after taxes and fees, I know they raised prices about 4 times in the past year and a half.  Then internet has to be purchased separately for another 100.

I stream everything and it’s not much cheaper than cable  Even without Hulu live TV once you add Netflix, Disney plus, Apple TV plus, HBO max etc and you still have nothing live (which doesn’t bother me) 

Cable isn’t a necessity but internet probably is so people are probably 200 plus into the two no matter which way you go 

• SR91748SR91748 Posts: 144
    Life is full of decisions.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    edited December 2021
    Something we need to consider is venue costs have risen. They want to recoup $ from covid and are charging more. That is also a factor, its not just the artist. 

Dave Chappelle is doing a new years show in Seattle. The best main floor seats are $380. I saw Chili Peppers main floor seats were about the same when on sale here.  
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    edited December 2021
    PJ5a1 said: Is what it is
    I don't know when the phrase "it is what it is" entered the lexicon, but it has been a number of years.  This phrase still seems to evade me a bit, maybe because I'm old and out of touch.  Does it mean slightly different things to different people?  To me, it means "this sucks, but there's nothing you personally can do about it."  Is that right?  It's kinda like when PJ played the song Lightning Bolt at every show from 2014-18.  It is what is!
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • $85 bucks to see metallica.. tool was 125. PJ was like 120...

Washed old musicians?  I guess you’re so bitter you forgot who they are.  
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Something we need to consider is venue costs have risen. They want to recoup $ from covid and are charging more. That is also a factor, its not just the artist. 

Dave Chappelle is doing a new years show in Seattle. The best main floor seats are $380. I saw Chili Peppers main floor seats were about the same when on sale here.  
    The venues are owned by Live Nation now - that’s why non- LN artists can’t perform at L N venues and vice-versa.

PJ was forced to join because well, where else would they be able to do shows?

but it doesn’t change the fact that yes, L N is gouging via fees (almost 40%), getting rid of set pricing and having the cost fluctuate “based on demand” etc.

the CEO was doing a lot of press last month admitting to increasing fees etc.

Its ALL L N & Ticketmaster, Not the venues.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/live-nation-q3-2021-earnings-report-revenue/#!
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • compared to a Broadway show, which these concerts are now equivalent to, the prices are right on par
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    edited December 2021
    Something we need to consider is venue costs have risen. They want to recoup $ from covid and are charging more. That is also a factor, its not just the artist. 

The venues are owned by Live Nation now - that’s why non- LN artists can’t perform at L N venues and vice-versa.

PJ was forced to join because well, where else would they be able to do shows?

This is completely wrong and not how it works. Many artists don’t have exclusive deals with Live Nation and play Live Nation affiliated venues all the time and vice versa with AEG. There are also local promoters like Goldenvoice in Los Angeles that are in the mix. There are occasional turf wars like the AEG/MSG thing that happened a couple of years back but that’s not the norm.  

As far as pricing of tickets, LN has presented its dynamic pricing matrix to acts and it is up to the act whether they want to use it. For example, while other big rock acts use platinum/VIP tickets liberally with thousands of tickets in the mix, Pearl Jam only allowed the use of platinum ticketing for the charity tickets in arenas. Of course, this will impact what an act receives contractually in terms of a guarantee. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • pkh43 wrote:
    Everyone will jump on me b/c your all psychos. No one can objectively criticize the "boys", even if you are a huge fan like myself. Bear with me though as we go back in history:

2000 tour: $26.00
    2003 tour: $36.00
    2005 tour: $52.00
    2008 tour: $74.00

Almost 300% mark-up in 8 years. Quite the inflation with ticket prices don't you think. Guess Ed needs the money for his Hawaiian vacations and super model girlfriend. I am able to afford these skyrocketing prices, I am a nurse and my wife is a physical therapist, but maybe some other fans are having a hard time paying these "Rolling Stone" type prices. So let the shit begin. If anyone has a opinion against the "jamily" flow, they are ostracized. That is why when I need a good laugh, I read this message pit b/c most on here need to get in touch with reality. See you in Hartford bitches!

We've done this thread already.

First, welcome to 2008.

Inflation, economy sucks right now, gas prices, touring expenses, etc..

Smaller tour = more money to put on.

All that stuff, enjoy the show.

Also, Ed doesn't need our money to take his family to Hawaii, that's just being ignorant to say that.

and... Rolling Stones cost much, much more than Pearl Jam.
    And? The Rolling Stones earned it. Mick Jagger was singing satisfaction when Ed was pissin’ and shittin’ his diapers. Literally.
  • PJ5a1 said:

Would the calculation change if ticket resale wasn’t so restricted?  

No doubt you could have put in for the extra show and if you didn’t want to go you could have paid for the one you do go to by selling the other 

I tend to think not being able to subsidise the shows people are actually going to is part of the frustration not just the ticket prices.

it’s a lot of money for a show no doubt but it’s also not in doubt that those tickets are worth much more than the face value 

i tend to be of the opinion that bands can charge what they want but a ticket holder has that same right.  Otherwise it’s just inconsistent capitalism.  The expectation that the fan has more of the responsibility to be “fair” than the band is insane 

1. There is no restriction for resale… as their shouldn’t be anywhere… for NYC

2. No one is gonna pay double face price for tickets to this… the only way that happens if you’re super lucky and get tickets in the first 5 or so rows. It’s New York… in February… one of the shows is on a Thursday… there’s likely to be a foot of snow on the ground… ain’t no one dishing out $1,000 for a pair of tickets to go thru that. 

3. What’s a lot more likely to happen is the mid-40s beta bros… we all know the type… will buy the tickets so they can waggle their wieners about them like some degenerate social commodity and then a week before the show get mad and whiny when they are all over stubhub for $50 each when people realize their gonna get 10 cover songs and another 10 from an album they’ve never heard. I’d bet anything you can get floor tickets for $100 long before you are paying over face for this tour. 

4. And your last paragraph is spot on. If I buy something, I’ll do with it whatever I want… and hopefully a lot of people feel the same when they put in for tickets they can’t use…. LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO…. and now can dump them because of the likely low demand and they have to eat the entire ticket cost…
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    edited December 2021
    goblues82 said:
    pkh43 wrote:
    Everyone will jump on me b/c your all psychos. No one can objectively criticize the "boys", even if you are a huge fan like myself. Bear with me though as we go back in history:

2000 tour: $26.00
    2003 tour: $36.00
    2005 tour: $52.00
    2008 tour: $74.00

Almost 300% mark-up in 8 years. Quite the inflation with ticket prices don't you think. Guess Ed needs the money for his Hawaiian vacations and super model girlfriend. I am able to afford these skyrocketing prices, I am a nurse and my wife is a physical therapist, but maybe some other fans are having a hard time paying these "Rolling Stone" type prices. So let the shit begin. If anyone has a opinion against the "jamily" flow, they are ostracized. That is why when I need a good laugh, I read this message pit b/c most on here need to get in touch with reality. See you in Hartford bitches!

We've done this thread already.

First, welcome to 2008.

Inflation, economy sucks right now, gas prices, touring expenses, etc..

Smaller tour = more money to put on.

All that stuff, enjoy the show.

Also, Ed doesn't need our money to take his family to Hawaii, that's just being ignorant to say that.

and... Rolling Stones cost much, much more than Pearl Jam.
    And? The Rolling Stones earned it. Mick Jagger was singing satisfaction when Ed was pissin’ and shittin’ his diapers. Literally.

Earned what? The right to basically be a novelty act like a large scale Kool and the Gang?
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Are the same people who praise the band for marching to their own beat with their virtuous handling of pandemic scheduling the same people who claim "High tickets prices? eVerYoNe iS dOinG iT".
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Well to be fair they have more control about handling their pandemic scheduling where there are a lot of factors that go into the price of a ticket that are out of the bands control, unless they want to make no money touring while also making no money off music sales as well.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    apirk72 said:
    Well to be fair they have more control about handling their pandemic scheduling where there are a lot of factors that go into the price of a ticket that are out of the bands control, unless they want to make no money touring while also making no money off music sales as well.
    It's in his control. He's charging 3x more than MMJ for the same venue by choice. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Yep these are expensive tickets. Set at prices to ensure that the event sells out and the artist and TM get some of the revenue that would otherwise go to the secondary market. But that is just masturbatory speculation. 
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    I am going to go out on a limb and say it is not nearly as black and white as people think.  Because one band is able to do one thing it doesn't mean every band can do it.  If My Morning Jacket could sell out a theater at a $200 price point they would charge that much but everyone involved knows they can't so that is why charge that much.  It is not like everyone who plays a club charges the same amount either.  There isnt a flat rate for everyone who is involved in the price of a ticket and then the difference in price is what the artist wants.  The higher the demand or draw the more everyone else wants/gets as well.

I think it would be interesting to know what people think Eddie should make per ticket and then see an actual breakdown of what everyone makes on a ticket.  I wouldn't be shocked if what fans think Eddie should be making isn't that far off from what he actually makes, except for the fans that don't seem to like him anyways.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Ticket prices are usually based on the performance fee requested by an artist's agent.  The higher the fee demanded by the aritst, the higher the ticket price.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,833
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Ticket prices are usually based on the performance fee requested by an artist's agent.  The higher the fee demanded by the aritst, the higher the ticket price.
    Betting if EV didn't tap Chad Smith, Pino Palladino, Glen, etc for his backing band the prices would be ~$50 cheaper. Small venues and a short cross-country tour needs to be worth it for all of them, not just EV.
This discussion has been closed.