Most talented vocalist of our time?

124»

Comments

• jamie uk wrote:
    As much as I like Cornell, I just don't put him on the same page as Plant. I mean the young Plant, the performances on those first few albums were simply incredible, no one has the right to be able to wail like that!
    I love how he's accomodated his style over the years, accepted he could no longer do what he once did, and moved on, he is a very 'serious' vocalist, really works at his craft.
    Plant wins it.
    As for modern day, Damien Rice is as good as I've heard, great range, and feeling.

Ok, perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't recall anything that Plant did that Cornell didn't match. I think nostalgia clouds a lot of people's opinions.
  • Ok, perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't recall anything that Plant did that Cornell didn't match. I think nostalgia clouds a lot of people's opinions.

I don't think it is a matter of technical highs and lows. It is how it is applied to the situation. (Like Van Halen's Eruption vs. Gilmour's solo in Time, the former technically a better feat, the latter being an amazing adaptation to a song.) In the vocal world, I give the nod to Plant as his adaptation of vocals to what's needed in a song are amazing. Here are some examples:

Since I've been Loving You, Led Zep 3, Studio album
    D'yer Maker, Houses of the Holy
    Night Flight, Physical Graffiti
    I'm gonna crawl, In through the Out door
    Moonlight in Samosa, Pictures at Eleven
    I believe, Fate of Nations
    Anything on disk 2 of 66 to Timbuktu- everything from rockabilly to disco and he pulls it off.
    Anything on Honeydrippers
    It goes on...
    Great performances on Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger
    This new thing with Alison Krause...

I think the difference is a certain amount of passion, and a certain amount of fun in his performances.

I find Cornell to have amazing technical range, but almost a machine-like application which gives me a sense of being too clean or sterile. I wish he'd explore the blues more and add that to his delivery.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • I find Cornell to have amazing technical range, but almost a machine-like application which gives me a sense of being too clean or sterile. I wish he'd explore the blues more and add that to his delivery.

Um, have you heard Temple Of The Dog? If that aint blues I don't know what is.

I understand what you are saying about the other things, but they are all subjective opinions, the power and range are the only real things you can measure a voice by. What one person views as talent may mean nothing to another person, and there's no way of really debating that.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Ok, perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't recall anything that Plant did that Cornell didn't match. I think nostalgia clouds a lot of people's opinions.

Nah, listen to the first Zepp album, the vocals are outragous at times. Plant gets embarressed by it, says there's too much showing off on there.
    Cornell is also amazing btw, just he's not Plant, imo.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Nah, listen to the first Zepp album, the vocals are outragous at times. Plant gets embarressed by it, says there's too much showing off on there.
    Cornell is also amazing btw, just he's not Plant, imo.

Oh I've listened to it plenty, no more impressive than something like Beyond The Wheel or Four Walled World. Plus Plant is/was a tenor, reaching those notes is more natural to a tenor, as opposed to a baritone like Cornell.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Jeff Buckley
    Antony Hegarty
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I don't think it is a matter of technical highs and lows. It is how it is applied to the situation. (Like Van Halen's Eruption vs. Gilmour's solo in Time, the former technically a better feat, the latter being an amazing adaptation to a song.) In the vocal world, I give the nod to Plant as his adaptation of vocals to what's needed in a song are amazing. Here are some examples:

Since I've been Loving You, Led Zep 3, Studio album
    D'yer Maker, Houses of the Holy
    Night Flight, Physical Graffiti
    I'm gonna crawl, In through the Out door
    Moonlight in Samosa, Pictures at Eleven
    I believe, Fate of Nations
    Anything on disk 2 of 66 to Timbuktu- everything from rockabilly to disco and he pulls it off.
    Anything on Honeydrippers
    It goes on...
    Great performances on Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger
    This new thing with Alison Krause...

I think the difference is a certain amount of passion, and a certain amount of fun in his performances.

I find Cornell to have amazing technical range, but almost a machine-like application which gives me a sense of being too clean or sterile. I wish he'd explore the blues more and add that to his delivery.

I have to completely dissagree about the machine-like thing. Cornell delivers extreme "mood" to the music and emotion as often as plant for sure. Often Plant is completely shallow doing just fun rock.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0o1MBptNSI

This isn't too shoddy either, even if the bloke on the decks is.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've become quite a fan of the early SG stuff lately. And even the different sing approach he had back then. Which came first? TOTD or BMF? He really started to make a great use of his lower register then.

I have to give it to Cornell or Plant. Wow hard to decide. Listening to a lot of Zeppelin the last few days and Plant is crazy, but overall I got to give it to Cornell. Hard decision though. I do get that Cornell doesn't get the credit because of the "alfa male" thing, but who ever had that more than Plant. Is Cornell anywhere close to how in love Plant was with himself? I don't think so.

When I said early stuff, I meant like Screaming Fopp or Ultramega OK. I agree with you, TOTD and BMF are just phenomonal.

Not to make this a Cornell-only thread but somebody said Cornell should start singing with a blusey style again (or words to that effect, I've got a terrible memorey). I'd like to see more of this as well. We got some of it on TOTD but lately his voice (even though it's back) sounds flat and emotionless.

Just listen to that 'Hey Baby' Hendrix cover with him and some of the other guys from Pearl Jam. Amazing. Hell, I thought there was even a bit of it on the last Audioslave album with 'Broken City' which is probably the most underrated Cornell song ever.

I gotta put Plant above Cornell though. If Cornell ever does an album like 'Raising Sand' then I might reconsider :p
  • muppet wrote:
    When I said early stuff, I meant like Screaming Fopp or Ultramega OK. I agree with you, TOTD and BMF are just phenomonal.

Not to make this a Cornell-only thread but somebody said Cornell should start singing with a blusey style again (or words to that effect, I've got a terrible memorey). I'd like to see more of this as well. We got some of it on TOTD but lately his voice (even though it's back) sounds flat and emotionless.

Just listen to that 'Hey Baby' Hendrix cover with him and some of the other guys from Pearl Jam. Amazing. Hell, I thought there was even a bit of it on the last Audioslave album with 'Broken City' which is probably the most underrated Cornell song ever.

I gotta put Plant above Cornell though. If Cornell ever does an album like 'Raising Sand' then I might reconsider :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BV8IbDK2UZk Cornell getting bluesy, recently.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    of our times... (!)

here come my favs:

Eddie Vedder (any snob idiots who say he has no exceptional voice are just competely dumb outsiders)
    Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)
    Richard Ashcroft (solo and with The Verve)
    Dolores O'Riordan (solo and especially with The Cranberries)
    Chino Moreno (Deftones) - he is an absolutely underrated singer!!!
    Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees)
    Björk
    Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
    Matthew Bellamy (Muse)
    Sinead O'Connor
    Tom Chaplin (Keane)
    Keith Caputo (Life Of Agony)
    Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots / Velvet Revolver)
    Mike Patton (Faith No More)

+

Kurt Cobain - one of the most underrated singer EVER! He had a powerful but still beautiful vocals!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • muppet wrote:

I meant Screming Life and UltramegaOK by early. I didn't care for them so much the first listen through, but the very next listen through I completly fell in love. Actually good fucking songs. I don't like Fopp. Hunted Down, Nothing to Say, Little Joe, Hand of God, Flower, All Your Lies, Nazi Driver, Incessant Mace are all Phenomenal. And I like all the rest nearly as much. They are my two most recent additions. I didn't expect to like them much, and I am thrilled I gave them a chance. Sure, they are more raw, punk sounding and seem to still be experimenting, but very worthy SG albums IMO.

Its really hard to choose between the Plant and Cornell. I think most people would agree its between the two. Plant does have more years and more albums. They are my two favorite for sure. I got the "raising Sand" album for christmas. Listened a couple of times. Haven't got into it yet. I might play it again today.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Saturnal wrote:
    I wouldn't go THAT far....Cameron and Ament could easily be replaced and there wouldn't be much of a difference in the overall sound. Replace Vedder or McCready, and it's a much bigger deal. They are a more democratic band, but it's not that equal.

well with all of these never ending drummer debates, i highly doubt another PJ drummer wouldn't change the overall sound much. people are always saying how they like one PJ drummer over another because of their style.

and as of now, i think if any of the members except boom were to leave, they wouldnt go on as a band. matt cameron has been with them for almost 10 years now, he is more of the bands original drummer then any of the prvious drummers, regardless if he is the last. eddie would never want to see him go, or anyone.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Even though I doubt anyone here has heard of him, Dean Bowman is probably one of the best.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Johnny Cash

Freddie Mercury

Elton

Mike Patton
    the Minions
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Pretty self-explanatory, I guess I would define our time as having performed/created music in the past 20 years or so.

I would have to go with Jeff Buckley. I love Ed's voice but Jeff's range and tone are just awe-inspiring. His performance of "Once I Was" at the tribute to his father gives me chills every time.

Jeff Buckley or Mike Patton take my vote. Not sure which one both are extremely talented.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The guy from Neutral Milk Hotel... Listen to Aeroplane over the sea and Oh Comely... so much emotion...
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    i get that this is a PJ bulletin board, but seriously....

Ed Vedder is NOT a good singer at all. At all. Not even close.

Whether it was the early records with the fake baritone (ok, he has a deep voice, but he totally overextended it ala Scott Stapp when he was young) to the fact that now he is older he is mumbly, whiney, and nasal....

Not good. i love pearl jam, but Ed's voice is pretty much never anything better than "good". Never great, never exceptional.

I disagree Eddie's vocals live are great, have you listened to hard sun on the radio? mumbly whiney i think not. Wouldn't have been my pick but great vocalist none the less.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Chris motherfuckin Cornell
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    muppet wrote:
    Just listen to that 'Hey Baby' Hendrix cover with him and some of the other guys from Pearl Jam. Amazing.

His voice kinds of ruins that song for me. Which is too bad since it's one of my hendrix's favorite. Cornell sure has a lot of talent but most of the time he does (did) too much, and doesn't seem able to adapt to the songs he is doing. He'll just sing like he running up for the "most talented vocalist of our time" contest instead of adapting to the music that is playing behind him.
  • Ryan Adams
    Scott Weiland (I'm talking No. 4-present on records as seriously awe-inspiring)
    Layne Staley
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Chris Cornell gets my vote..
    I'm abit ashamed to say, but I also enjoy Nick Cave's voice, very mystical...

And I have to put up a norwegian guy, playing in a band called Madrugada - Called Sivert Høyem.

I'm norwegian, so if you havent heard "Madrugada" I highly recommend it...
    First album called "Industrial Silence" is one of my favorite albums.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Johnny_N wrote:
    Chris Cornell gets my vote..
    I'm abit ashamed to say, but I also enjoy Nick Cave's voice, very mystical...

And I have to put up a norwegian guy, playing in a band called Madrugada - Called Sivert Høyem.

I'm norwegian, so if you havent heard "Madrugada" I highly recommend it...
    First album called "Industrial Silence" is one of my favorite albums.
    He has a great, deep voice, and Industrial Silence is a great album. Still I think it's a bit much to put him among the best of our time. But he's not far from it. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965