Most talented vocalist of our time?

redmosquito10redmosquito10 Posts: 568
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Pretty self-explanatory, I guess I would define our time as having performed/created music in the past 20 years or so.

I would have to go with Jeff Buckley. I love Ed's voice but Jeff's range and tone are just awe-inspiring. His performance of "Once I Was" at the tribute to his father gives me chills every time.
"Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    ...there are a few... Eddie, is one of them of course ...

...Bjork...
    ...Cedric Bixler-Zavala (Mars Volta - if atd-i would have stayed together, no one would have known what an awesome singer he is)
    ...Serj Tankian...

tbc...
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• Put in a vote from me for Jeff Buckley. He's one of the few rock artists I can think of for whom voice technique is as important as music... the only other one I can think of is Paul Rodgers but he makes AOR these days.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I'm probably the only one here who would list this guy: Eddie Vedder.
  • Pretty self-explanatory, I guess I would define our time as having performed/created music in the past 20 years or so.

I would have to go with Jeff Buckley. I love Ed's voice but Jeff's range and tone are just awe-inspiring. His performance of "Once I Was" at the tribute to his father gives me chills every time.

I like Buckley a lot, however I don't lilke the way he seemed to 'over exagerate' certain parts of his singing more then they seemed to need. Almost as though he was forcing notes on occasions.
  • I like Buckley a lot, however I don't lilke the way he seemed to 'over exagerate' certain parts of his singing more then they seemed to need. Almost as though he was forcing notes on occasions.

I think all his notes were near perfect. He was a little elaborate sometimes, yes, but he did it because he knew he could. Most rock singers stay within a narrow range because they'd expose flaws if they didn't.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I think all his notes were near perfect. He was a little elaborate sometimes, yes, but he did it because he knew he could. Most rock singers stay within a narrow range because they'd expose flaws if they didn't.

I guess it just makes his vocals very distinctive.That aspect of his singing seemed to me more a product of training but obviously he did have the ability.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I think all his notes were near perfect. He was a little elaborate sometimes, yes, but he did it because he knew he could.
    yes, he knew he did. I saw him in 1995 and he was able to sing all the notes that he sang on the album. That was just incredible.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Chris Cornell and Maynard James Keenan

Easily.

2 of the biggest vocals forces since Robert Plant
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Chris Cornell gets my vote.

I've never heard a singer as dynamic as him.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Rather predictably I'll put my name down for Cornell too, his power and range in the early 90's were unmatched.

Buckley, Vedder, MJK etc are all high on my list too.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I won't say 'most talented', it's all opinion. But my personal favourites are:

Chris Cornell
    Eddie Vedder
    Mark Lanegan
    Mike Patton
    Shannon Hoon
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    pirlo21 wrote:
    I won't say 'most talented', it's all opinion. But my personal favourites are:

Chris Cornell
    Eddie Vedder
    Mark Lanegan
    Mike Patton
    Shannon Hoon
    Have to agree with that!
  • Fuck, i forgot Mike Patton.

ok, then here is my new list...

Chris Cornell
    Maynard James Keenan
    Mike Patton

Those 3 guys all are WELLLLLL known for their vocal dynamics and range.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Mike Patton by a landslide......not my favorite vocalist - but definitely the most diverse and talented I have ever heard
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • otis redding is best of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlKJDEI1Nk&feature=related

but for our time...

buckley
    cornell
    lanegan
    mjk
    vedder

nods to layne staley and mike patton too.
  • i get that this is a PJ bulletin board, but seriously....

Ed Vedder is NOT a good singer at all. At all. Not even close.

Whether it was the early records with the fake baritone (ok, he has a deep voice, but he totally overextended it ala Scott Stapp when he was young) to the fact that now he is older he is mumbly, whiney, and nasal....

Not good. i love pearl jam, but Ed's voice is pretty much never anything better than "good". Never great, never exceptional.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Whether it was the early records with the fake baritone (ok, he has a deep voice, but he totally overextended it ala Scott Stapp when he was young) to the fact that now he is older he is mumbly, whiney, and nasal....

I agree about his voice in the early days. Some of the songs on Ten are almost unlistenable to me now because of that horrible baritone. But I'd say he's a pretty good singer now though, even if he lacks the power and growl that he used to have.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • i get that this is a PJ bulletin board, but seriously....

Not good. i love pearl jam, but Ed's voice is pretty much never anything better than "good". Never great, never exceptional.

Whoa...I beg to differ. Ed has had a few exceptional moments as a singer.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • jammerfall wrote:
    Whoa...I beg to differ. Ed has had a few exceptional moments as a singer.

Such as?
  • Such as?

Not for you is a great recording of his voice.

Ed Ved's voice is so easy for anyone to recognize. I listen to PJ, so people around me hear it mixed in with everything else. People who are not fans at all say, "He has a beautiful voice". And that is what Ed has. Its is very distinct and just beautiful sounding. Once you get into PJ you hear the way he chooses to use his voice. The words are second to the sound he makes and he does it his own way. (something that is missing from most of today's rock music). I honestly don't think any band has ever, ever been better at covering songs and 90% of that is because he has such great voice for singing fucking anything.

In terms of talented vocalist: YES for Vedder, definately with Cornell and others; because that includes more than range and ability

In terms of best singer overall: Cornell, I've never heard anyone better. And its the ability, the range, the choice of vocal melodies, the whole package.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    i get that this is a PJ bulletin board, but seriously....

I have no idea why you listen to PJ. Eddie has amazing vocals, easily one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Seriously, get off this forum and go to the Chris Cornell forum. I would take Eddies deep voice over Chris Cornells screeching vocals any day. Listen to the vocals on Release, In Hiding, and Setting Forth and say that again, if you agree with what you said......you are deaf.

By the way, here are my favorites
    Richard Ashcroft
    Eddie Vedder
    Jim Morrison
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I think Nothingman is a great showcase of Ed's voice, no over-singing, just pure and heartfelt.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I have no idea why you listen to PJ. Eddie has amazing vocals, easily one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Seriously, get off this forum and go to the Chris Cornell forum. I would take Eddies deep voice over Chris Cornells screeching vocals any day. Listen to the vocals on Release, In Hiding, and Setting Forth and say that again, if you agree with what you said......you are deaf.

By the way, here are my favorites
    Richard Ashcroft
    Eddie Vedder
    Jim Morrison

Eddie Vedder isn't the only member of Pearl Jam. I think he's got a good voice but it isn't exactly the best. Different tastes for different people.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Shannon Hoon had an amazing voice. I prefer the singers who you can clearly identify the second you hear them. Eddie alone, for spawning so many imitators should be acknowledged. I think Axl has one of the coolest voices in rock history. I love Plant, Cornell, and Roger Waters may one of my favorites, if not my favorite.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    sanjia
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Steve Perry!!!

In our time...Cornell, Eddie Vedder and Shannon Hoon as mentioned above was great!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,272
    well if you go by word pronouciation and clarity voices ...

ian anderson jethro tull

jon anderson ...yes

come to mind .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I guess I'd have to vote for Jeff Buckley. I'm not a huge fan, but he was certainly impressive.

I seem to prefer singers with terrible yet memorable voices. I'll take character over technique any day.
  • Chris Cornell