Most talented vocalist of our time?

Comments

• OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I feel Layne Staley haven't got the love he deserves here. Maybe not technically the best voice, but the most memorable haunting bluesy voice I've ever heard. Some of his stuff with Mad Season and of course Jar Of Flies are gonna give me the chills until the day I die. You can feel the pain through his voice so clearly. Him and the harmonies with Cantrell on many songs are the main draw to AIC for me. Cantrell solo just isnt the same at all.

Eddie Vedder scores for personality and warmness. His early days have gotten a beating here, but he was good and more aggressive and powerful back then. He was probably straining his voice a lot more though, so I guess it couldn't go on forever. I like his vocals now too, particularly when he goes into his folksy mode, as on the "into the wild" soundtrack. (which was just a bit too much like a soundtrack and had way too short songs) Someone mentioned PJ doing the best covers, and I agree. Many songs they cover sound better with them than the original. Personal favorite, and a voice with a lot of character.

Mike Patton, shit. I love how he with FNM did those crooner sappy songs like Easy, I started a joke etc. I see that as a "You know, I could do this all the time and be superpopular, but fuck that!". :) As for diversity, Patton blows everyone out of the water. I can't get into all of his stuff, but undoubtedly a great voice. Almost a pity that he has so many fringe projects, and not too many "normal" ones.

Honourable mentions goes to early Chris Cornell, Serj Tankian (now there's a barytone), Jeff Buckley (of course, probably the best tecnique of the bunch), Thom Yorke and probably many more.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • I never said that, he made it sound like Eddie is an absolutely terrible singer which is far from the truth, I just dont know why he would join a forum of a band with a singer that is so appalling.

Just so you know, there are some other dudes in Pearl Jam

Here are their names:

Mike McCready
    Stone Gossard
    Jeff Ament
    Matt Cameron

And formerly:

Jack Irons
    Dave Abruzzese
    Dave Krusen

You're one of those guys who can't comprehend that the parts equal the sum apparently.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • hrd2imgn wrote:
    Freddy Mercury- THERE WAS NEVER ANYONE BETTER

I can just stop there as he cannot be topped in terms of range and versatility

Cornell had more range.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s3bblpum6Ho
  • there is too little lanegan love here, considering he has been far more consistent than vedder, cornell, etc... (im talking live shows and recorded output)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grw5AT5kq0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHOuqZZXVyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1rL7DI_D4&feature=related

and no love for tom waits yet...
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    well if you go by word pronouciation and clarity voices ...

ian anderson jethro tull

jon anderson ...yes

come to mind .....

I've been on a serious Jethro tull trip lately,so I have to agree with Ian Andersson, he is truly a great singer/entertainer....

other really talented singers in my personal opinion....

eddie vedder
    christina aguilera
    michael stipe
    neil young
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• 1. Ed Vedder
    2. Ben Harper
    3. Brandon Boyd
    4. Jack Johnson
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • StonEd67 wrote:
    neil young

Wow.. first time I've ever seen him called a great vocalist. Fair enoughski. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    Wow.. first time I've ever seen him called a great vocalist. Fair enoughski. :)

the thing is I couldn't stand his voice before......
    now I've listened to him a great deal and find that he has a very
    nice voice, he may not have gone to singing school......but the feeling
    when he sings is just out of this world...(in my personal opinion)
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Bruce Dickenson gets my vote - man that dude can wail! Any guy who can rock out and consistently hit those high notes, even in live performances, while doing so gets props in my book. :D (Save for Geddy Lee--his voice gets on my nerves. :p)

I like Eddie Vedder's voice in live performances because he's so into it that he moves me...sometimes even to tears! But, I wouldn't say he's the most talented volcalist HOWEVER--most talented lyricist, IMO, yes--good vocalist, yes! :)

I have always thought that Bono had a great set of pipes and I saw Ian Anderson's name mentionned as well, he's a goodie too.
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Chris Cornell and Maynard James Keenan

Easily.

2 of the biggest vocals forces since Robert Plant
    *BANG*
    Thats the sound of you hitting the nail on the head.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Eddie Vedder
    Joey Ramone
    Sebastian Bach
    Elton John
    Pink
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    there have only been four singers in my life whose voice sent chills up and down my spine

1. Bruce Dickenson-Iron Maiden-screaming as an art form
    2. Chris Cornell-with soundgarden-ditto
    3. Eddie Vedder-deep baritone
    4. Mariah Carey-someone else said it, but this chick can sing

Not sure if that translates to talent or not, but when I think of outstanding modern singers, thats the list.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Just so you know, there are some other dudes in Pearl Jam

Here are their names:

Mike McCready
    Stone Gossard
    Jeff Ament
    Matt Cameron

And formerly:

Jack Irons
    Dave Abruzzese
    Dave Krusen

You're one of those guys who can't comprehend that the parts equal the sum apparently.

Eddie is the most important person in Pearl Jam. I just cant listen to a band if I dislike the singer, dont even understand how somebody else could.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Eddie is the most important person in Pearl Jam.

Are you joking?

Have you HEARD Bad Radio? or the ITW soundtrack?

Pearl Jam is the sum of it's parts. No member is bigger than any other, and they need each other to create the collective force that they are.
  • Are you joking?

Have you HEARD Bad Radio? or the ITW soundtrack?

Pearl Jam is the sum of it's parts. No member is bigger than any other, and they need each other to create the collective force that they are.
    I wouldn't go THAT far....Cameron and Ament could easily be replaced and there wouldn't be much of a difference in the overall sound. Replace Vedder or McCready, and it's a much bigger deal. They are a more democratic band, but it's not that equal.
  • Well we all know the drummer position is clearly replaceable.

But you really think they could go on without Jeff? the only thing i could see them maybe doing was to have Stone move to bass if that happened. And it would be a temporary thing.

But if something happened to Stone, Mike, or Ed....the band wouldn't continue on.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I'll vote for Robert Plant - love or hate his solo stuff, the guy has always done his own thing, and his voice has always sounded amazing, even though its totally changed over the years. Mighty Rearranger from 2005 has some of his best stuff since Zeppelin on it, he's still coming up with the goods. Really like Raising Sand too
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Well we all know the drummer position is clearly replaceable.

But you really think they could go on without Jeff? the only thing i could see them maybe doing was to have Stone move to bass if that happened. And it would be a temporary thing.

But if something happened to Stone, Mike, or Ed....the band wouldn't continue on.

Rush might be a cool band but their vocals are actual shit which makes them unlistenable, therefore I think the singer of a band is easily one of the most important parts.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Well we all know the drummer position is clearly replaceable.

Yea, I think they could go on without Jeff. Almost any band can replace the drummer and bassist. They could even go without Stone possibly...they probably wouldn't, but they could.

Vedder is the most irreplaceable by far.
  • I jizz over anything PJ/Vedder does, but I'd still name a lot singers ahead of him. His is this best baritone in eons, but I'd give more credit to these guys I also heard growing up:

Layne Staley
    Bon Scott
    Chris Cornell
    Axl Rose
    David Lee Roth
    Steven Tyler
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • vedder(of course),phil anselmo(sure the guy might be a complete dick but there is no denying his talent he has shown in pantera, down, and superjoint ritual),freddie mercury,rob halford,layne staley,chris Cornell,robert plant,bruce dickinson,mick jagger,steve Tyler,axl rose,jim morrison, Scott Stapp(please don't kill me),dave mustaine,james hetfield, and jonathon davis(criticize KoRn all you want, but don't you dare to call this man untalented).
  • Plant all the way, Mercury a close second, then it drops way off to extremely talented people like Cornell, Rodgers, Gillian and the likes of those.

As for Plant, think about it, think about the thread title. In all of the Zeppelin stuff, the diversity in the solo career, the Moroccan influences in later stuff, Honeydrippers Vol 1., Afro Celt Soundsystem, Raising Sand w/ Alison Krause. So many genres touched in his career and he pulls it off. Find yourself a copy of the HOB 2005 PJ with Plant bootleg. Goes from Going to California, right into Little Sister and Money, then Fool in the Rain and Thank You and makes it all sound amazing.

Likewise, Mercury can do early americana to opera to screaming rock.

I'd like to see these other people try all of that diversity and pull it. Now that I think of it, Bono might be a close 3rd if he tried.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Plant all the way, Mercury a close second, then it drops way off to extremely talented people like Cornell, Rodgers, Gillian and the likes of those.

As for Plant, think about it, think about the thread title. In all of the Zeppelin stuff, the diversity in the solo career, the Moroccan influences in later stuff, Honeydrippers Vol 1., Afro Celt Soundsystem, Raising Sand w/ Alison Krause. So many genres touched in his career and he pulls it off. Find yourself a copy of the HOB 2005 PJ with Plant bootleg. Goes from Going to California, right into Little Sister and Money, then Fool in the Rain and Thank You and makes it all sound amazing.

Likewise, Mercury can do early americana to opera to screaming rock.

I'd like to see these other people try all of that diversity and pull it. Now that I think of it, Bono might be a close 3rd if he tried.

Cornell in his prime was a better vocalist than Plant, his power and range were virtually untouchable, in my opinion. Cornell's talent wasn't just that he could sing insanely high, but that he could also hit all the lower notes too, most similar vocalists to him were/are tenors, as opposed to Cornell who's a baritone. In all honesty I think there were things Cornell could do that Mercury wouldn't have managed either - the relentless wailing in Birth Ritual for example, let alone all the deeper stuff. Please do give me an example of Mercury singing that high, I would love to hear it.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Cornell in his prime was a better vocalist than Plant, his power and range were virtually untouchable, in my opinion. Cornell's talent wasn't just that he could sing insanely high, but that he could also hit all the lower notes too, most similar vocalists to him were/are tenors, as opposed to Cornell who's a baritone. In all honesty I think there were things Cornell could do that Mercury wouldn't have managed either - the relentless wailing in Birth Ritual for example, let alone all the deeper stuff. Please do give me an example of Mercury singing that high, I would love to hear it.
    Birth Ritual is obscene. I can't believe the guy that could hit highs like that also sang Fourth of July
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Birth Ritual is obscene. I can't believe the guy that could hit highs like that also sang Fourth of July

I know! People don't wanna give Cornell credit, I have a theory that it's because he has the whole alpha male thing going on, but people would never admit to that obviously! But if you just listen to his voice, and nothing else, there is no doubting that his range and power were unquestionably impressive. I wish some of his detractors would actually try themselves to sing that high with that much power, most people could never even hope to come close.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Birth Ritual is almost cringe worthy (in a good way). Hard to believe a man can sing that high.

Cornell's high voice does not always translate into a good song though. A lot of Soundgardens early stuff maybe had some really impressive technical vocal stuff but a lot of the time it sounded silly, IMO.
  • muppet wrote:
    Birth Ritual is almost cringe worthy (in a good way). Hard to believe a man can sing that high.

Cornell's high voice does not always translate into a good song though. A lot of Soundgardens early stuff maybe had some really impressive technical vocal stuff but a lot of the time it sounded silly, IMO.

Oh yeah, I agree some of it was unnecessary, and the dramatic vocals were often masking very average songs. It was when he began to harness that power and pair it with really strong songwriting that it became more impressive - Slaves and Bulldozers being a prime example.
  • Oh yeah, I agree some of it was unnecessary, and the dramatic vocals were often masking very average songs. It was when he began to harness that power and pair it with really strong songwriting that it became more impressive - Slaves and Bulldozers being a prime example.

I've become quite a fan of the early SG stuff lately. And even the different sing approach he had back then. Which came first? TOTD or BMF? He really started to make a great use of his lower register then.

I have to give it to Cornell or Plant. Wow hard to decide. Listening to a lot of Zeppelin the last few days and Plant is crazy, but overall I got to give it to Cornell. Hard decision though. I do get that Cornell doesn't get the credit because of the "alfa male" thing, but who ever had that more than Plant. Is Cornell anywhere close to how in love Plant was with himself? I don't think so.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • I've become quite a fan of the early SG stuff lately. And even the different sing approach he had back then. Which came first? TOTD or BMF? He really started to make a great use of his lower register then.

I have to give it to Cornell or Plant. Wow hard to decide. Listening to a lot of Zeppelin the last few days and Plant is crazy, but overall I got to give it to Cornell. Hard decision though. I do get that Cornell doesn't get the credit because of the "alfa male" thing, but who ever had that more than Plant. Is Cornell anywhere close to how in love Plant was with himself? I don't think so.

I think lately though Cornell's become a lot more mainstream orientated, in terms of modelling and wearing the designer clothes etc. It's easy for a lot of people to dismiss him as a prettyboy who used to make good music, blah blah blah.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I've become quite a fan of the early SG stuff lately. And even the different sing approach he had back then. Which came first? TOTD or BMF? He really started to make a great use of his lower register then.

As much as I like Cornell, I just don't put him on the same page as Plant. I mean the young Plant, the performances on those first few albums were simply incredible, no one has the right to be able to wail like that!
    I love how he's accomodated his style over the years, accepted he could no longer do what he once did, and moved on, he is a very 'serious' vocalist, really works at his craft.
    Plant wins it.
    As for modern day, Damien Rice is as good as I've heard, great range, and feeling.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....