Most talented vocalist of our time?

Comments

• It doesn't get any better than Maynard Keenan. Don't even try to put Eddie in the same league as him, please. It's no accident that his services have always been in such high demand with guys like RATM, Deftones and Trent Reznor.

BTW, Jim Morrison is one of the most overrated and terrible vocalists of all time. I blame him too for Scott Stapp.
  • chris cornell for dynamic
    eddie vedder for personal favorite
    layne staley for uniqueness
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    muppet wrote:
    Eddie Vedder isn't the only member of Pearl Jam. I think he's got a good voice but it isn't exactly the best. Different tastes for different people.

The vocals are almost key to liking any band, I cant think of enjoying a band enough to join a forum if I dont even like their singer.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Steve Perry!!!

In our time...Cornell, Eddie Vedder and Shannon Hoon as mentioned above was great!!

I forgot about Steve Perry, he has a killer voice whether you like their music or not.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The three most talented mainstream vocalists since the late 80s are Jeff Buckley, Chris Cornell and Mike Patton. No doubt in my mind.

Not my favourites mind, except Buckley who is up there.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    If by last 20 years or so, we can mean 20-40...then it's Robert Plant all the way. :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • i'll throw freddy mercury up there also in addition to a lot of the others already mentioned.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have no idea why you listen to PJ. Eddie has amazing vocals, easily one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Seriously, get off this forum and go to the Chris Cornell forum. I would take Eddies deep voice over Chris Cornells screeching vocals any day. Listen to the vocals on Release, In Hiding, and Setting Forth and say that again, if you agree with what you said......you are deaf.

By the way, here are my favorites
    Richard Ashcroft
    Eddie Vedder
    Jim Morrison

I think Ed has a great voice, it's just that early "yarl" thing he did in songs like Jeremy which is pretty bad. It's weird, because I used to love it, but now I think it's really weak.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Just to judge it by voice and range not by music

Whitney Houston
    Mariah Carey
  • Easy...Bjork.

Patton is the only one even remotely close to her. Her vocal chords are from Pluto or something.
  • My picks are based on singers with unique voices not just octave range.

Axl Rose
    Eddie Vedder
    Liam Gallagher
    Chris Cornell
    Richard Ashcroft
  • More than a vocalist. A genius too. The Doors wanted him to join when Jimbo died. He told them to fuck off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksxhrKhULM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hXXn_dIYM
    Matty Boy wrote:
    My picks are based on singers with unique voices not just octave range.

Axl Rose
    Eddie Vedder
    Liam Gallagher
    Chris Cornell
    Richard Ashcroft

Liam used to have an awesome voice, its kinda gone to shit though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Liam used to have an awesome voice, its kinda gone to shit though

Cocaine's a helluva drug.
  • Such as?

To name a few:
    Immortality
    Hunger Strike
    Better Man
    Release
    Animal
    Off He Goes
    Indifference
    Man Of The Hour

Even Arc gives me the chills.

I'm not saying that Ed is techically the best singer out there, but to say that "Ed Vedder is NOT a good singer at all. At all. Not even close" as you put it, just makes me kind of wonder what you got stuck in your ears.

The man has had some outstanding moments.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • It doesn't get any better than Maynard Keenan. Don't even try to put Eddie in the same league as him, please. It's no accident that his services have always been in such high demand with guys like RATM, Deftones and Trent Reznor.

BTW, Jim Morrison is one of the most overrated and terrible vocalists of all time. I blame him too for Scott Stapp.
    10 years ago, I would've listed Keenan, but not currently. He cannot do what he used to do...not even close. The shows I saw on 10K Days tour were pretty sad to watch.

1999:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=X6gZ_85IxFk

2006:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fulbhy4dg7k

I dunno...to me, it's not even the same guy.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    More than a vocalist. A genius too. The Doors wanted him to join when Jimbo died. He told them to fuck off:

Shit! That was good, know of the fellow, didn't occur to me his live performances would be as spectacular. Never heard the second song before.
  • In no order:

Paul Rogers
    Maynard
    Eddie Vedder
    Geoff Tate
    10/22/90, 8/23/91, 1/3/92, 12/8/93, 12/9/93, 2/5/95, 2/6/95, 9/14/95, 9/14/96, 9/15/96, 9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/1/2005, 9/2/2005, 7/6/2006, 7/22/2006
    It doesn't get any better than Maynard Keenan. Don't even try to put Eddie in the same league as him, please.

Jesus.............yeh, Keenan has great range and tone, and great diversity of song,,,,,,,
  • elmer wrote:
    Shit! That was good, know of the fellow, didn't occur to me his live performances would be as spectacular. Never heard the second song before.

He was astonishing live. Right up until the end. For the record, and staying with the thread, I saw Jeff Buckley live too, but he was no Kevin Coyne. Not even remotely.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    Bob Dylan just keeps getting better and better :D.

Seriously, among women: Sinead O'Connor, Ann Wilson and Pat Benatar.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • More than a vocalist. A genius too. The Doors wanted him to join when Jimbo died. He told them to fuck off:

Impressive, I'd never heard him before. I'll give him the nod for a more powerful voice, but Buckley still wins out in the beauty category, and overall for me. But wow are you lucky to have seen both of them live.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Impressive, I'd never heard him before. I'll give him the nod for a more powerful voice, but Buckley still wins out in the beauty category, and overall for me. But wow are you lucky to have seen both of them live.

Beauty schmeauty. ;)
    He was astonishing live. Right up until the end. For the record, and staying with the thread, I saw Jeff Buckley live too, but he was no Kevin Coyne. Not even remotely.
    Used to be friends with this old guy from Holland(his other half was alcoholic....something happened..outta my control)who had been a journalist, he turned me onto Marjory Razorblade in 04. I'd never heard of Coyne, he'd spoken to him in the 70's, gave me three records.
    He also talked up Tim Buckley but the albums I heard never impressed me too much, he seemed to favour the more obscure recordings with most artists, the songs sometimes mentioned here aren't on the albums he gave to me.
    He once mentioned some guy Thompson, said he was a great guitarist, what you think?

Checked out your MySpace the other night, especially like two songs. The delay pedal you use, how'd you think it'd sound through a classical guitar?? Said I'd come to your gig,haven't forgotten, hope to catch yer on the one later this month or the beginning of march.
  • I like Thompson, but maybe it's my Celtic heart but I find his vocal style a bit too nasal and English for my tastes. He's a great, great songwriter though.

Beginning of February? I'll PM you.
  • I have no idea why you listen to PJ. Eddie has amazing vocals, easily one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Seriously, get off this forum and go to the Chris Cornell forum. I would take Eddies deep voice over Chris Cornells screeching vocals any day. Listen to the vocals on Release, In Hiding, and Setting Forth and say that again, if you agree with what you said......you are deaf.

By the way, here are my favorites
    Richard Ashcroft
    Eddie Vedder
    Jim Morrison

So fanboy if someone does'nt think Eddie's their favourite they need to move to a new forum? Right....
    So fanboy if someone does'nt think Eddie's their favourite they need to move to a new forum? Right....

I never said that, he made it sound like Eddie is an absolutely terrible singer which is far from the truth, I just dont know why he would join a forum of a band with a singer that is so appalling.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    you are all forgettnig the mole faced Pakisatani
    Nurstat Fateh Ali Khan

Robert Plant back in the day was as good as anyone

Geoffrey Oreyama

Bob Seeger- turn the page----wow

Ed's stuff from Merkin Ball is a-1 quality

Jim Morrison yelled as well as any

Pat M from Train

Elton John when his mouth is not full

Etta James "at last" is past phenominal

Enya-love this lady

Annie Lennox

Mike Patton- Real Thing days, was amazing

Perry Farrell

John Denver

Lionel Richie

Ed K from Live

MJ pre-freakshow

Freddy Mercury- THERE WAS NEVER ANYONE BETTER

I can just stop there as he cannot be topped in terms of range and versatility

So Etta and Mercury
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • I have no idea why you listen to PJ.

Because their are 5 people in the band. Eddie Vedder is not the only one.
    Eddie has amazing vocals,

That are whiny and nasal since he refuses to quit smoking and drinking.
    Seriously, get off this forum and go to the Chris Cornell forum.

I see you're obviously the Eddie Vedder police. A little sensitive are we?
    Listen to the vocals on Release, In Hiding, and Setting Forth and say that again,

Eddie Vedder is whiny, mumbly, and nasal. And has been since Yield.
    if you agree with what you said......you are deaf.

Your blind bias outweighs my hearing loss.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB