Radiohead

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Geez Red, First Nirvana, now Radiohead.

Would you like to come by and punch my grandma while your at it?

and to answer your question, I consider Radiohead my generation's Beatles

i would liken them more to this generation's pink floyd. i dont think this generation has a beatles, but i dont think id pick radiohead to be it. the beatles managed to meld pop with psychedelia. they integrated experimentation with classic pop songwriting to break new ground while still making very catchy music. radiohead has not done that. they turned their backs on their roots and ran in an opposite direction. though i guess if i had to pick one band to have the ass-kissing in music mags in 20-30 years that the beatles get now, it would probly be them. or u2.
  • u2 is probably the closest we have to the beatles, although they are not exactly a new act. they have made timeless pop songs yet experimented and break new ground as well.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    u2 is probably the closest we have to the beatles, although they are not exactly a new act. they have made timeless pop songs yet experimented and break new ground as well.

yeah, i was thinking if they'd split after pop, they'd be a good candidate. but their last 2 albums have pissed off a lot of whiners. i try to think of it as pop was the end of u2 and the latest albums are like paul's pansy solo career ;)
  • I think Radiohead is one of the great bands out there now. Thankfully they're not for everybody! It's hard enough to get tickets for them now! :D

I saw them at the Tower Theater in Philly last year and it ranks among the great musical experiences I've seen. They have an intensity and tension live that very few bands can achieve.

I like Amnesiac! :)

Then again, I like this. Here's something you don't see every day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBEZYQAPEE&mode=related&search=
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    i would liken them more to this generation's pink floyd. i dont think this generation has a beatles, but i dont think id pick radiohead to be it. the beatles managed to meld pop with psychedelia. they integrated experimentation with classic pop songwriting to break new ground while still making very catchy music. radiohead has not done that. they turned their backs on their roots and ran in an opposite direction. though i guess if i had to pick one band to have the ass-kissing in music mags in 20-30 years that the beatles get now, it would probly be them. or u2.

I only mentioned The Beatles because I feel Radiohead have bravely challenged the boundaries of their sound, when they had no comercial reason to do so. Each album was different than the previous one and I never felt any sounded forced or lame.

I've heard the Floyd referance and agree to an extent. I used to call em Punk Floyd
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i like them quite a lot, yes indeed.
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • yeah, i was thinking if they'd split after pop, they'd be a good candidate. but their last 2 albums have pissed off a lot of whiners. i try to think of it as pop was the end of u2 and the latest albums are like paul's pansy solo career ;)

Their last couple of albums have not being as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but they are still very solid releases. Our generation doesn't really have a beatles, a band that just about everyone loves yet still loved by the critics. radiohead are loved by the critics and adored by their fans, but there are MANY people who only like "creep" and detest anything else they've done.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Geez Red, First Nirvana, now Radiohead.

Would you like to come by and punch my grandma while your at it?

and to answer your question, I consider Radiohead my generation's Beatles

First off, I have never claimed to hate Nirvana. They are just overrated. It's my honest opinion. As for Radiohead, no fucking way are they even close to the Beatles or Pink Floyd or U2 or whoever else you guys compare them to. I just don't like their music. Thom Yorke annoys the hell out of me. Sorry for formulating my own opinion on the music I like and not just liking what people tell me is good.

As for bands I like, its the usual suspects. Alice In Chains, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Beatles, Hendrix, Creed (just kidding), much, much more. Hell, I even like Elton John.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
    Their last couple of albums have not being as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but they are still very solid releases. Our generation doesn't really have a beatles, a band that just about everyone loves yet still loved by the critics. radiohead are loved by the critics and adored by their fans, but there are MANY people who only like "creep" and detest anything else they've done.

dont get me wrong, i like the last u2 albums, but they seem to have engendered a backlash. though id have to say that u2 does fit the bill or loved by critics and audiences. you dont have back to back multi-platinum albums and sold out stadium tours of the usa if nobody likes you. it's just the snobbish indie rockers who truly hate u2, probly cos more people like u2 than their pet underappreciated band. they're probly all radiohead fans too ;)
  • I think Radiohead is one of the great bands out there now. Thankfully they're not for everybody! It's hard enough to get tickets for them now! :D

I saw them at the Tower Theater in Philly last year and it ranks among the great musical experiences I've seen. They have an intensity and tension live that very few bands can achieve.

I like Amnesiac! :)

Then again, I like this. Here's something you don't see every day:

ditto! saw them twice, and no live show compares. they're THAT good!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Like some of their albums but their live show is greatly overrated.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    U2 stopped making great albums after Achtung. Don't get me wrong, I like the band and I dig alot of their stuff after that record, but it just doesn't compare IMO. Couple that with their disastrous popmart tour, not to mention whoring themselves out to whoever and whatever, you're gonna have backlash. Of course part of it is from 'cool hipster indie' fucks, but it's what those cynics do. As bad as they are, I'm not sure it compares to how much of an annoying freak some U2 fans can be. I finally got to see them at the Honolulu show, and it was amazing and all that, but couple being surrounded by obsessed asshole fans (we got in the ellipse) with a show that seemed planned out to the minute, one show was all I needed. I'd much rather spend that kind of money going to see Radiohead or PJ (of course) anyway.

Radiohead is perhaps overrated, but I think their time has passed as far as being the coolest band around to like. They make real music, for the sake of art and expression, and don't give two shits about much else. Oh, and I doubt you'll ever hear a Radiohead song on an ipod commercial. Maybe ARTISTIC INTEGRITY is what I'm going for here?

• Then again, I like this. Here's something you don't see every day:

That is unbelievable. I'm so impressed!

EDIT: I tried to find the link, but I can't. Equally as interesting though are the covers of Radiohead tunes that the Brad Mehldau Trio do, especially Paranoid Android.
    cc10106 wrote:
    Oh, and I doubt you'll ever hear a Radiohead song on an ipod commercial. Maybe ARTISTIC INTEGRITY is what I'm going for here?

u2 didnt take any money for that commercial. they did it to show support for mp3 players and digital music and released a statement about how they hope digital music can break the record industry's hold on music. to me, that sounds more like walking the talk than selling out.
    yeah, and didn't they make a video with mary j. blige in a remake of 'one'....? explain that one? was it for raising awareness or something?
    cc10106 wrote:
    yeah, and didn't they make a video with mary j. blige in a remake of 'one'....? explain that one? was it for raising awareness or something?

that was an awards show. the grammy's i think. elton john played with eminem. duets are common at those kinds of shows. what's the big deal? they probly thought it was fun.

would you call them sellouts for playing rocking in the free world with pearl jam?

i also like how every hater who points to the ipod commercial as u2 selling out immediately changes the subject when told they did it for free... dont have a response to that?
    that was an awards show. the grammy's i think. elton john played with eminem. duets are common at those kinds of shows. what's the big deal? they probly thought it was fun.

would you call them sellouts for playing rocking in the free world with pearl jam?

i don't think you can find the word 'sellout' in any of my comments about them. barking up the wrong tree.
    cc10106 wrote:
    i don't think you can find the word 'sellout' in any of my comments about them. barking up the wrong tree.

then im not sure what your point is. you think they have no artistic integrity becos they played with someone you dont like or dont think is cool? i think sleater kinny is some of the most god-awful music i ever heard... i dont say pearl jam has no integrity for playing with them.

i also like how every hater who points to the ipod commercial as u2 selling out immediately changes the subject when told they did it for free... dont have a response to that?
  • then im not sure what your point is. you think they have no artistic integrity becos they played with someone you dont like or dont think is cool? i think sleater kinny is some of the most god-awful music i ever heard... i dont say pearl jam has no integrity for playing with them.

I have no problem with it but lets keep i mind those ads started right when their album came out and they were everywhere - to ad nauseum.....millions in free advertising $$$$$$ probably help sell a few albums and some itunes - $$$$$$$$$. U2 got free publicity for their new single and Apple got the superstar to promote their product - a nice little handshake with a wink - thats how things are done in the corporate world............

By the way Sleater Kinney rocks - I'll take the Woods over any U2 album - OK maybe not the Joshua Tree......

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• Like some of their albums but their live show is greatly overrated.
    Never heard that before... I've got to say you must never have really heard them live because even if you hate the band you gotta admit they're incredible live.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Never heard that before... I've got to say you must never have really heard them live because even if you hate the band you gotta admit they're incredible live.

About 20th row dead center and nearly put to sleep............

Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• About 20th row dead center and nearly put to sleep............
    unbelievable. I don't mean that I actually don't believe you, I just can't understand it.

"Make our day"
  • unbelievable. I don't mean that I actually don't believe you, I just can't understand it.

me too! the live show is what sold me on their greatness. to see their sound reproduces live was just incredible. during idioteque, i've never felt that much energy at any show before!

was it too many slow songs for you or something?
  • unbelievable. I don't mean that I actually don't believe you, I just can't understand it.

Crowd was lame and lacked emotion and energy IMO. Everywhere I looked people had this robot head bopping going on.

Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• Crowd was lame and lacked emotion and energy IMO. Everywhere I looked people had this robot head bopping going on.

its definitely a different vibe. peopel there are actually there to hear Thom sing, and not the meathead next to them.

I saw an IV with Michael Stipe once where he said the same thing. but it wasn;t because people were bored, it was because they were in awe.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    If hearing "Iodioteque" live doesn't make you want to move,

I just don't know
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    you say the albums sucks, but still claim to like it. it's like the mindless pearl jam apologists who insist riot act is a fantastic album.

amnesiac sucked, plain and simple. bremerton nailed it when he pointed out that there are about 3 good songs to an album post-ok computer. they're a pale shadow of what they once were. and that'd be fine if their idiot fans didn't insist that thom yorke's shit doesn't stink.

Listen to Hail To The Thief and then you say stuff you probably can't back up. Hail To The Thief is their best album to date with every second beiing amazing songs and music... Maybe You just haven't listened to it properly because you thought Amnesiac and Kid A were too weird for you.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • bryanfury wrote:
    its definitely a different vibe. peopel there are actually there to hear Thom sing, and not the meathead next to them.

I saw an IV with Michael Stipe once where he said the same thing. but it wasn;t because people were bored, it was because they were in awe.
    i'd definetly agree with that. WAY different vibe than say Pearl Jam too.

"Make our day"
  • moho wrote:
    Listen to Hail To The Thief and then you say stuff you probably can't back up. Hail To The Thief is their best album to date with every second beiing amazing songs and music... Maybe You just haven't listened to it properly because you thought Amnesiac and Kid A were too weird for you.
    I'd go with OK computer being their best so far, but I think HTTT was just as consistant a record as Ok Comp. it's brilliant.

"Make our day"