Radiohead

Comments

• CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    pablo honey is a good album ;)

but this is our point... the people who say everything after the bends is 5 stars and a masterpiece are annoying. and i think there are a lot more of them than you're allowing. im glad you're not one of them, but there are still a LOT of them and they annoy the bejesus out of me.
    I understand your point and I agree, and I know there are way too many people who fall into that category.

My point is that for as many people that fall into your category of annoying Radiohead fans, there are just as many who fall into my category of saying "everything except The Bends & OK Computer is crap, anybody who likes any of their other albums is a fanboy and can't make musical judgements on their own." Just because I like songs from HTTT doesn't mean I think it is a masterpiece, there are way too many people who are so anti-Radiohead that they think liking anyhting not on OKC is just being a fanboy or giving in to critical praise.
  • They are one of my favorite bands. Their music is amazing, haunting, beautiful...

Hail To The Thief and OK Computer are my faves.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    love em
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    They are possibly my favorite band. I mean who puts out an album like OK Computer, then follow it up with an album like Kid A and not skip a beat. The talent in that band is rediculous.
  • who gave us that quote about how "x-million people can't be wrong"? radiohead is not winning any new fans. they tried to dabble into ambient electronic music. it has resulted in mediocre rock music and mediocre electronic music. they're not turning on any rock fans nor any electronic fans. all they're doing anymore is giving the diehards wet dreams about what a genius thom is. nobody else cares or is listening.

And that's all I want them to do. I could care less if Joe-Blow next to me has a wet dream over their music, but so long as I do, I will continue to think their music is awesome, important and still relevant in this society.

I guarantee that there are more non-fans than fans out there for every band in existence. That does not make any band any less significant in the eyes of each individual fan, especially those that have wet dreams about them.
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    who gave us that quote about how "x-million people can't be wrong"? radiohead is not winning any new fans. they tried to dabble into ambient electronic music. it has resulted in mediocre rock music and mediocre electronic music. they're not turning on any rock fans nor any electronic fans. all they're doing anymore is giving the diehards wet dreams about what a genius thom is. nobody else cares or is listening.

They successfully "dabbled" into ambient electronic music from a straight forward rock sound which is unheard of. That in itself not only shows you the talent of the band, but shows you the testicular fortitude of the band. No band out there had or has the balls to do that. They did. And thats what a band is supposed to do. Evolve into something totally new, which 99% of the bands out there either don't understand or are too lazy. And, i don't care what you say, Kid A is one of the most critically acclaimed albums in the last 10-15 years.

The "x-million people cant be wrong" statement is just stupid and not worth commenting on.
  • i love radiohead, not very fond of amnesiac really...and kid A aint too bad...the rest is amazing
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    CM1847 wrote:
    I understand your point and I agree, and I know there are way too many people who fall into that category.

My point is that for as many people that fall into your category of annoying Radiohead fans, there are just as many who fall into my category of saying "everything except The Bends & OK Computer is crap, anybody who likes any of their other albums is a fanboy and can't make musical judgements on their own." Just because I like songs from HTTT doesn't mean I think it is a masterpiece, there are way too many people who are so anti-Radiohead that they think liking anyhting not on OKC is just being a fanboy or giving in to critical praise.

well i hope you dont think im one of them. i like pablo honey and kid a, though neither is my favorite. i think amnesiac sucks. hail to the thief was boring. but im open to a good radiohead album. i just dont think they've done one lately. certainly nothing that approaches masterpiece levels.
    pnjguy wrote:
    They successfully "dabbled" into ambient electronic music from a straight forward rock sound which is unheard of. That in itself not only shows you the talent of the band, but shows you the testicular fortitude of the band. No band out there had or has the balls to do that. They did. And thats what a band is supposed to do. Evolve into something totally new, which 99% of the bands out there either don't understand or are too lazy. And, i don't care what you say, Kid A is one of the most critically acclaimed albums in the last 10-15 years.

The "x-million people cant be wrong" statement is just stupid and not worth commenting on.

since when is a band "supposed" to do something totally new? should we have novelists writing poetry? no, becos their strengths lie in novels, not poetry. artists have a passion and a calling and changing for the sake of changing is stupid. if you're the best at what you do, why go on to a mediocre career in something else (see michael jordan's baseball career) that means you're pissing your talent away.

ive no doubt radiohead's electronic experimentation was from the heart, but from what i've heard, it wasn't too impressive by electronic standards. nor was it very impressive by rock standards. it was only impressive to rock fans who were going to write radiohead a blank check for whatever they did and decided to write it becos radiohead was so "brave" in making a mediocre electronica album.
  • sorry man.. i have to disagree with u on that one.....radiohead are one of my favorite bands......u should give them a chance im sure u would like some songs......check out these songs:

paraniod android
    let down
    karma police
    nice dream
    my iron lung
    the national anthem
    they have so many more but those are some of my favs.
    "oh please........
    let it ran today
    this city is so filthy
    like my mind in ways....."
  • best fuckin band ever. hard for me to understand how people couldn't like them. its liek not liking the beatles back in the day.

more than anything, i think people who don;t listen to them are really missing out on something very special!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    sorry man.. i have to disagree with u on that one.....radiohead are one of my favorite bands......u should give them a chance im sure u would like some songs......check out these songs:

paraniod android
    let down
    karma police
    nice dream
    my iron lung
    the national anthem
    they have so many more but those are some of my favs.

notice almost all are from the bends/ok computer and only one from any other album.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhuleVYGVPo

check out Johnny's solo near the end.

wow....
  • notice almost all are from the bends/ok computer and only one from any other album.

okay, try:

i might be wrong
    everything in its right place
    national anthem
    idioteque
    morning bell
    motion picture soundtrack
    there there
    2+2=5
    pyramid song
    where i end

i'll stop there....
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    well i hope you dont think im one of them. i like pablo honey and kid a, though neither is my favorite. i think amnesiac sucks. hail to the thief was boring. but im open to a good radiohead album. i just dont think they've done one lately. certainly nothing that approaches masterpiece levels.
    Nah, wasn't aimed at anybody in particular. I just know a lot of people who start calling people apologists the moment they hear somebody say they like HTTT, like it is impossible for them to believe somebody genuinlely likes the album.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    Nah, wasn't aimed at anybody in particular. I just know a lot of people who start calling people apologists the moment they hear somebody say they like HTTT, like it is impossible for them to believe somebody genuinlely likes the album.

my wife rates it right behind OK Computer

I have it pretty high up there as well. Only tune i don;t like is Myxamatosis. Every other song on there is good, with some greats in there (there there, 2+2, sail to the moon, backdrifts, scatterbrain, wolf, where i end, punchup)
    bryanfury wrote:
    my wife rates it right behind OK Computer

I have it pretty high up there as well. Only tune i don;t like is Myxamatosis. Every other song on there is good, with some greats in there (there there, 2+2, sail to the moon, backdrifts, scatterbrain, wolf, where i end, punchup)

weird, becos myxamatosis is one of the few tracks i did like from that album. as to your list above, ive heard all of those songs. ive listened to all of these albums several times. they have their moments. but there's still not much on there the compares to even the middle tier of songs on bends and ok computer.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    Saying that Radiohead sucks after OK Computer is like saying the Beatles sucked after Rubber Soul - it doesn't make any sense.
    great analogy. except i'd call ok comp. their sgt peppers but it's all relative anyway :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • weird, becos myxamatosis is one of the few tracks i did like from that album. as to your list above, ive heard all of those songs. ive listened to all of these albums several times. they have their moments. but there's still not much on there the compares to even the middle tier of songs on bends and ok computer.

its tough to compare them to songs like let down, homesick alien, exit music, etc. the bends and ok are 2 of the best albums of all time from any band. because they aren't THAT good doesn;t mean they aren't good at all.

they haven't done a bad album, and haven't done a bad tune.

shit, their ep's have some greta fuckin tunes. iron lung ep and airbag ep are better discs than most people put out for their regular stuff.

to each his own i guess...
  • you say the albums sucks, but still claim to like it. it's like the mindless pearl jam apologists who insist riot act is a fantastic album.

amnesiac sucked, plain and simple. bremerton nailed it when he pointed out that there are about 3 good songs to an album post-ok computer. they're a pale shadow of what they once were. and that'd be fine if their idiot fans didn't insist that thom yorke's shit doesn't stink.
    Why don't you just say you hate all pearl jam fans for liking riot act, (which i do, has some great tracks)
    I'm sure that would go along excellently you ignoramus.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
    bryanfury wrote:
    its tough to compare them to songs like let down, homesick alien, exit music, etc. the bends and ok are 2 of the best albums of all time from any band. because they aren't THAT good doesn;t mean they aren't good at all.

they haven't done a bad album, and haven't done a bad tune.

shit, their ep's have some greta fuckin tunes. iron lung ep and airbag ep are better discs than most people put out for their regular stuff.

to each his own i guess...

treefingers is a great tune? is it even a tune? is there a melody or a song in there?

amnesiac was a weak album. im not saying everything they've done since ok computer was bad. just that most of what they've done since hasnt been particularly good. just as most of what pearl jam has done since yield hasnt been particularly brilliant either.
  • Why don't you just say you hate all pearl jam fans for liking riot act, (which i do, has some great tracks)

I detest Riot Act.

What makes him an ignoramus? You are the one putting words in his mouth.
    Cock Fight.
    Why don't you just say you hate all pearl jam fans for liking riot act, (which i do, has some great tracks)

ok, i hate you and all pearl jam fans who like riot act. :rolleyes:

key word in your post... SOME great tracks. they've done albums that had ALL amazing tracks. that's a slip. and radiohead has done the same. and im not going to pretend neither of them did it nor let their fans blow shit up my nose and tell me it's a daisy.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    I detest Riot Act.

What makes him an ignoramus? You are the one putting words in his mouth.
    read the rest of buddy's post, i think its on page 1.
    And his first post where he says radiohead fans. A personal attack, i got defensive, cause radiohead are an amazing band.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • this is why i hate radiohead fans.

this is why I love Conor :)
    Cock Fight.
    read the rest of buddy's post, i think its on page 1.
    And his first post where he says radiohead fans. A personal attack, i got defensive, cause radiohead are an amazing band.

uh... knocking your fav band is not a personal attack on you. if anything, t's a personal attack on thom and his shite taste in music ;)
    Tek Money wrote:
    this is why I love Conor :)

thank you darlin, good to know my way with words is appreciated now and again :)
  • i also agree with soulsinging, radiohead fans can be downright annoying. right up there with fans of tool who insist maynard's shit doesn't stink. the bends was great and ok computer was a masterpiece but they haven't recorded anything to those levels since.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Who here are Radiohead fans? Personally, I can't stand them, but I do know a couple die hard fans who ridicule me for not liking them. I was just wondering what you guys think of them.

Geez Red, First Nirvana, now Radiohead.

Would you like to come by and punch my grandma while your at it?

and to answer your question, I consider Radiohead my generation's Beatles
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Geez Red, First Nirvana, now Radiohead.

Would you like to come by and punch my grandma while your at it?

and to answer your question, I consider Radiohead my generation's Beatles

yeah i'm starting to wonder who this guy actually enjoys listening to as well.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say