Comments

• pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Top 3 would have to be:

Dinosaur Jr - Beyond
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild
    Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Bump
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    kenshunt wrote:
    Bump

Once December rolls around, I will try to do our annual "List your top 5 albums of the year" poll where I keep track of the votes albums receive. We'll have to eliminate Ed's album from the voting, as we can assume most people here love the album. And I am sure I will get pissed off because Zeitgeist will get a ton of votes in spite of the fact it is horribly mediocre. But it is also interesting to see how people here vote.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I didn't purchase that many albums this year:

Our Love to Admire - Interpol
    Release the Stars - Rufus Wainwright
    Made of Bricks - Kate Nash
    Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder
    Begin to Hope - Regina Spektor
    Not Too Late - Norah Jones

Slim pickins, but the best was probably Our Love to Admire.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Alter Bridge's Blackbird. The title track is epic.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    1. Young Modern - Silverchair
    2. Into The Wild - Eddie Vedder
    3. Elect The Dead - Serj Tankian
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • djerdap wrote:
    Radiohead - In Rainbows, by far.

Agreed. I cant stop listening to it, every track is killer.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • #1 - Magic - Bruce Springsteen
  • wcsmith wrote:
    I'm usually not very up to date with the new stuff, but I do like the following:

Bruce Springsteen - Magic
    Chris and Rich Robinson - Brothers of a Feather
    Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild
    The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

Nice choices. I didn't even think about the Brothers of a Feather album because it was a live record....and I was at the shows. I think I would put Ed in my #2 spot. Ive been mixing Magic with Into The Wild for about the last month........which might explain my need for extra Prozac.
  • Bruce Springsteen--Magic

nothing even comes close

Ditto this. Interesting fact. Only 3 albums in the last two years have received 5 stars from Rolling Stone. This was one of them. Well deserved. Flawless record.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Ditto this. Interesting fact. Only 3 albums in the last two years have received 5 stars from Rolling Stone. This was one of them. Well deserved. Flawless record.

what were the other 2? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    #1 - Magic - Bruce Springsteen

thank you !

i second that vote.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Grady: A Cup of Cold Poison - Blues rock done heavy, loud, and brash. Some have called it punk blues. A nice sonic kick in the ass. Been looking forward to this disc since I got the first pressing of Y. U. So Shady back in '04. Spadina, West Coast Hobo In A Boxcar Blues, Come And Take Me, and the title track are standouts.

Clutch: From Beale Street To Oblivion - Good but not great. Better than Robot Hive/Exodus, but pales in comparison to Slow Hole To China and Blast Tyrant as far as recent albums go. It starts off with that good old Clutch wallop with Progress and Power Player but then goes all over the place from there. White's Ferry and Mr. Shiny Cadillackness are the other hightlights. Electric Worry is a nice take on John Lee Hooker style blues and the segue into the One Eye Dollar remake is nice. Hopefully the next disc is another step forward.

North Mississippi Allstars: Mississippi Folk Music vol. 1 - An off the cuff acoustic album whipped up after they finished their upcoming studio album. Some stripped down boogie on the quieter side. If this is what they can throw together as an afterthought then Hernando should kick a lot of ass. Luther shreds the acoustics as well as the electrics. Masters of War, Ragged But Right, Mean Old World, Goin' Home, On A Monday, and the stripped down Snakes In My Bushes are the highlights.

Howlin' Rain: Howlin' Rain - Hawkwind meets Working Man's Dead era Grateful Dead? Some lilting acoustic tunes with screaming, echo driven solos from Hell dominate this disc. I think it may have actually come out last year though. Caught these guys opening up for QotSA and they were amazing.

Steepwater Band: Songs From The Eighth Day - A self released EP by a Chicago power trio that's struck gold in Spain of all places. Some outtakes, covers, and reworkings make up a solid EP. Twelve minutes of Cortez The Killer filled with screaming guitars. Wheel and Key To The Highway are fun too.

Queens of The Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - Slightly uneven, but worthwhile. Misfit Love, Turnin' On The Screw, and 3's & 7's are catchy rockers with some great riffs. They should have included Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and the title track on the album instead of I'm Designer, Into The Hollow, and River In The Road.

Neil Young: Chrome Dreams II - Best album from Neil in years, but given his recent output, that doesn't say much. No Hidden Path is a guitar epic that rivals the Ragged Glory epics. Even with the first three tunes being 20 years old there is a consistency to the disc. More so than...

Jason Isbell: Sirens of The Ditch - Former Drive-By Truckers member's long delayed solo album. Definitly a patchwork effort "years in the making". Could have been better considering some of the tunes left on the shelf. Still a solid effort though. Looking forward to a more consistent release in the future.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Baby 81 - Liked Howl more, but they continue to put out solid efforts. No real stinkers on here, but some of the tunes are kind of mediocre. Hopefully they continue to mix it up with their next album.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals: Get the Japanese version. The inclusion of Belladona and Over Again totally change the vibe of the album. Over Again rocks like Neil & Crazy Horse, and rocks much more than anything else on the disc. If I Was From Paris, the I-Tunes track would have made a rocking inclusion as well. As it is, the album makes a nice effort by this singer/songwriter and her tight band.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Wilco ~ Sky Blue Sky
    Robert Plant & Alison Krauss ~ Raising Sand
    Radiohead ~ In Rainbows
    Neil Young ~ Chrome Dreams II
    M.I.A. ~ Kala
    Jason Isbell ~ Sirens of the Ditch
    Iron & Wine ~ The Shepherd's Dog
    Ed ~ Into the Wild
    Bruce Springsteen ~ Magic
    Bjork ~ Volta
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • what were the other 2? :)
    I know one was Sonic Youth. Id have to look it up for the other one
  • The Vacant wrote:
    Grady: A Cup of Cold Poison - Blues rock done heavy, loud, and brash. Some have called it punk blues. A nice sonic kick in the ass. Been looking forward to this disc since I got the first pressing of Y. U. So Shady back in '04. Spadina, West Coast Hobo In A Boxcar Blues, Come And Take Me, and the title track are standouts.

Clutch: From Beale Street To Oblivion - Good but not great. Better than Robot Hive/Exodus, but pales in comparison to Slow Hole To China and Blast Tyrant as far as recent albums go. It starts off with that good old Clutch wallop with Progress and Power Player but then goes all over the place from there. White's Ferry and Mr. Shiny Cadillackness are the other hightlights. Electric Worry is a nice take on John Lee Hooker style blues and the segue into the One Eye Dollar remake is nice. Hopefully the next disc is another step forward.

North Mississippi Allstars: Mississippi Folk Music vol. 1 - An off the cuff acoustic album whipped up after they finished their upcoming studio album. Some stripped down boogie on the quieter side. If this is what they can throw together as an afterthought then Hernando should kick a lot of ass. Luther shreds the acoustics as well as the electrics. Masters of War, Ragged But Right, Mean Old World, Goin' Home, On A Monday, and the stripped down Snakes In My Bushes are the highlights.

Howlin' Rain: Howlin' Rain - Hawkwind meets Working Man's Dead era Grateful Dead? Some lilting acoustic tunes with screaming, echo driven solos from Hell dominate this disc. I think it may have actually come out last year though. Caught these guys opening up for QotSA and they were amazing.

Steepwater Band: Songs From The Eighth Day - A self released EP by a Chicago power trio that's struck gold in Spain of all places. Some outtakes, covers, and reworkings make up a solid EP. Twelve minutes of Cortez The Killer filled with screaming guitars. Wheel and Key To The Highway are fun too.

Queens of The Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - Slightly uneven, but worthwhile. Misfit Love, Turnin' On The Screw, and 3's & 7's are catchy rockers with some great riffs. They should have included Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and the title track on the album instead of I'm Designer, Into The Hollow, and River In The Road.

Neil Young: Chrome Dreams II - Best album from Neil in years, but given his recent output, that doesn't say much. No Hidden Path is a guitar epic that rivals the Ragged Glory epics. Even with the first three tunes being 20 years old there is a consistency to the disc. More so than...

Jason Isbell: Sirens of The Ditch - Former Drive-By Truckers member's long delayed solo album. Definitly a patchwork effort "years in the making". Could have been better considering some of the tunes left on the shelf. Still a solid effort though. Looking forward to a more consistent release in the future.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Baby 81 - Liked Howl more, but they continue to put out solid efforts. No real stinkers on here, but some of the tunes are kind of mediocre. Hopefully they continue to mix it up with their next album.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals: Get the Japanese version. The inclusion of Belladona and Over Again totally change the vibe of the album. Over Again rocks like Neil & Crazy Horse, and rocks much more than anything else on the disc. If I Was From Paris, the I-Tunes track would have made a rocking inclusion as well. As it is, the album makes a nice effort by this singer/songwriter and her tight band.
    So which is your favorite?
  • Take a stand. Best album...Not best ten albums. Why so fickle?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

Anything political or by an artist who is somewhat political automatically gets a 4 or 5 stars

By the way, one of the other artists who got 5 stars was Bob Dylan (what a surprise)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Anything political or by an artist who is somewhat political automatically gets a 4 or 5 stars

Except for Pearl Jam. I am also guessing Rise Against hasn't gotten a 4 star review.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    boroff89 wrote:
    Except for Pearl Jam. I am also guessing Rise Against hasn't gotten a 4 star review.

PJ got 4, they definitely favor certain artists though and give really good reviews to anybody who attempts to be political usually (for christs sake, actual shit like Linkin Park actually got 4 stars for attempting to be political)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • So which is your favorite?

They go 1 to 10. THe Grady disc is solid and lived up to my expectations while the Grace Potter & The Nocturnal's album was simply alright. A much better live band that is being marketed as laid back female songwriter by their label.
  • With the current rock scene sounding like pop music , I've bought albums by more established acts such as Foo Fighters -echoes, silence,patience & grace, Neil young - chrome dreams II and Wilco - sky blue sky. I've also been listening to alot of music from africa such as Tinariwen, Nuru Kane and bhundu boys.It's easy to forget that music exists all around the world and not just america and britain.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    The Vacant wrote:

Queens of The Stone Age: Era Vulgaris - They should have included Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and the title track on the album instead of River In The Road.

why on earth leave out the best song on the album?
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouse wrote:
    why on earth leave out the best song on the album?

Because I meant to say Run Pig Run? Although I wouldn't say River In The Road is the best tune on the album.
  • Anything political or by an artist who is somewhat political automatically gets a 4 or 5 stars

By the way, one of the other artists who got 5 stars was Bob Dylan (what a surprise)
    Thats it