Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    stu gee wrote:
    I think Dave Grohl is a fantastic frontman actually. Lots of energy and knows exactly how to work the crowd.

well yes dave is a great frontman, that's undeniable. however....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    stu gee wrote:
    I think Dave Grohl is a fantastic frontman actually. Lots of energy and knows exactly how to work the crowd.

Agreed. Their shows are always fun and entertaining - Dave is the man! Can't wait for November! :)

But yes, I also haven't been listening to their most recent releases as much as their older stuff.

I do like The Pretender though.
  • I spun it once and enjoyed it, however it's still too new to judge yet. I will say that I love Gil Nortons work with this band.

Don't think i'll be able to decide until I pick up the real album on the release date

note: Google "Foo fighters leak"
    - go to the second page listed;)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Foo Fighters are the most overrated band around today. I think Dave Grohl is brilliant, but stick to the drumkit, dammit Dave! :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • sorry guys, this is bad....real bad.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I agree. This album sounds like "In Your Honor Part II" and if there is one album that NEVER EVER needed a sequel it's In Your Honor. I'm done with the Foos. This album sucks.
  • sorry guys, this is bad....real bad.

Oh come on, you don't have to feel sorry for having an opinion.

It's good, it's nothing spectacular though. I really enjoy Erase/Replace and Let it Die a lot. The slower tunes are so damn boring though. They've got that formula down and i wish they didn't.

Will spin it for a week or two more. It'll either really grow on me or find it's place on the shelf. I hope it's the former
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I like Erase/Replace too, that sounds like a song that wouldnt feel out of place on TCATS.

Its not like in your honor, even as i was flicking through it sounded better than in your honor and it still does.

Not much of a fan of the acoustic stuff on it though.
  • I don't love it. But I don't hate it either. I think Dave is trying to hard to make a classic sounding album.
  • chris01 wrote:
    I like Erase/Replace too, that sounds like a song that wouldnt feel out of place on TCATS.

I think that's why I like it too
  • but dave's singing & the band's rocking out often just sounds like noise pollution to me
  • sorry to all the haters, but I love this album!!! Still nowhere near as goot as TCATS but nothing ever will be that good
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • This album is great

The pretender
    Long Road to Ruin
    Cheer Up Boys, Your Makeup Is Running
    and
    Statues are all among their best stuff

I'm not sure exactly what people expect the foos to put out to make them happy. These songs are great and is their best album since TCATS
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • I'm surprised how many people swear by The Colour and the Shape - you guys have been saying either "Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace is their best album since TCATS", or "Man, they haven't put out anything good since TCATS" - I didn't know TCATS was such a benchmark album! To me, TCATS is just middle of the road. I understand that it has three of their biggest and most memorable tunes (and yes, My Hero and Everlong are probably still their two best songs), but aside from the big three, I find the rest of the album to be a bit uneven and maybe a little weak in some areas. I mean, "Doll" is only half of a song, "See You" is goofy, "Up in Arms" sounds like a nintendo video game soundtrack, "February Stars" is boring as hell, and "Wind Up" is pure motherfuckin' filler (to quote Zack de la Rocha). So why is this album held in such high regard?????? Someone make some arguments for the songs I just trashed!!!! i want answers and opinions!!!!

I thought the followup "There is Nothing Left to Lose" was much better and especially WAY more even in quality.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    This is their best all-around, and most heart-felt, and mature album since 'There Is Nothing Left To Lose'. The haters are WRONG!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Mojopin wrote:
    The haters are WRONG!

Mojo
    True!
    I must admit, its growing on me. Still think there's too much acoustic stuff on it but im liking the rock tunes.
    I'm surprised how many people swear by The Colour and the Shape - you guys have been saying either "Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace is their best album since TCATS", or "Man, they haven't put out anything good since TCATS" - I didn't know TCATS was such a benchmark album! To me, TCATS is just middle of the road. I understand that it has three of their biggest and most memorable tunes (and yes, My Hero and Everlong are probably still their two best songs), but aside from the big three, I find the rest of the album to be a bit uneven and maybe a little weak in some areas. I mean, "Doll" is only half of a song, "See You" is goofy, "Up in Arms" sounds like a nintendo video game soundtrack, "February Stars" is boring as hell, and "Wind Up" is pure motherfuckin' filler (to quote Zack de la Rocha). So why is this album held in such high regard?????? Someone make some arguments for the songs I just trashed!!!! i want answers and opinions!!!!

I thought the followup "There is Nothing Left to Lose" was much better and especially WAY more even in quality.

Doll and Up In Arms are two of my favourite moments on the album.

Kinda feel like QOTSA ripped off Doll with the first song on there Lullibies to Paralyse (sp?) album.

Doll leading into Monkey Wrench, Up in Arms leading into My Hero, they both fit really well for me.

Wind Up is a great song too.

Feb Stars im not so keen on either, ill listen to it but i could do with out.

See You is goofy.... so is Big Me, but i like them both. :)

Different strokes i guess.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Doll and Up In Arms are two of my favourite moments on the album.

Kinda feel like QOTSA ripped off Doll with the first song on there Lullibies to Paralyse (sp?) album.

Doll leading into Monkey Wrench, Up in Arms leading into My Hero, they both fit really well for me.

Wind Up is a great song too.

Feb Stars im not so keen on either, ill listen to it but i could do with out.

See You is goofy.... so is Big Me, but i like them both. :)

Different strokes i guess.

I also find "Walking After You" as boring as "February Stars" - that part of the album almost kills it for me. Oh, I think "Up in Arms" terrible lead in to "My Hero". Just my opinion, though.

"Wind Up" is an okay song.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • I'm looking forward to this album.
    I just found out Kaki King is on it, I love her music
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 250
    For those in SoCal, theres a show in LA on monday 09/24/07 - announced not too long ago. I think tickets are supposed to go on sale sometime soon.

new album is ok......yea i agree in your honor part 2, but i want to like it, since all the old foo stuff is awesome.

I tried to check the foo forum, but it doesnt seem they are too friendly over there. The mod Jill likes to pick people out and put them in the townsquare and lynch their own fans in front of everyone. Some things just need to be said through PM's, not to use a few bad seeds as examples. I sense a lot of bad vibes there.

Im glad the mods here are always friendly and always (mostly) informing us of everything PJ! The Foo forum itself says nothing about the upcoming shows. how sad
    Previously known as Elzar
  • I'm surprised how many people swear by The Colour and the Shape - you guys have been saying either "Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace is their best album since TCATS", or "Man, they haven't put out anything good since TCATS" - I didn't know TCATS was such a benchmark album! To me, TCATS is just middle of the road. I understand that it has three of their biggest and most memorable tunes (and yes, My Hero and Everlong are probably still their two best songs), but aside from the big three, I find the rest of the album to be a bit uneven and maybe a little weak in some areas. I mean, "Doll" is only half of a song, "See You" is goofy, "Up in Arms" sounds like a nintendo video game soundtrack, "February Stars" is boring as hell, and "Wind Up" is pure motherfuckin' filler (to quote Zack de la Rocha). So why is this album held in such high regard?????? Someone make some arguments for the songs I just trashed!!!! i want answers and opinions!!!!

Doll = one of the cooler ways i've ever heard a record start
    See You = Fun and carefree with a hell of a punch
    Up In Arms = Quick kick in the balls
    February Stars = absolutely gorgeous

Add New Way Home, Hey Johnny Park, Monkeywrench, Windup, Enough Space Walking After you....This record is EPIC!!! I don't think there is "any" filler on it. Also, the lyrical content is a bit more cryptic which I do miss in his writing.

The one song i don't like on the cd is My Hero (it would fit well with the newer stuff)
    looks like the scalpers once again took the tix away from real fans and within minutes after the sale they are trying to scalp em for $600 already. What kind of BS is that. and whats worse is the mod doesnt care, nor do any of the management. The mod actually states in a message that its OK to scalp them on ebay for $580 more than they paid.
    At least its good to know that PJ, 10C, and all of us fans arent like that, and 10c is always good to us
  • ZAPPER wrote:
    looks like the scalpers once again took the tix away from real fans and within minutes after the sale they are trying to scalp em for $600 already. What kind of BS is that. and whats worse is the mod doesnt care, nor do any of the management. The mod actually states in a message that its OK to scalp them on ebay for $580 more than they paid.
    At least its good to know that PJ, 10C, and all of us fans arent like that, and 10c is always good to us

Looks like you had to buy the CD from TicketMaster to gain entrance into the LA showing. That's a bummer. I'll def stay out of the forum if they're as bitchy as you say they are!! That's why I hesitate to venture to other forums sometimes.
  • I'm going to have to take back my first judgment of this record. After listening to it here, http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/foo_fighters/echoes_silence_patience_and_grace/#, I have to say that I've changed my mind. I like it and I've pre-ordered it at Best Buy and I actually feel pretty good about it. It kills me to dump a band I've followed from the beginning and maybe I was just in a mood the day I decided to dismiss The Pretender, because it turns out that it's pretty catchy. The rest of the album really surprised me. You go, Dave.

Oh, and by the way, TCATS is great because it's friggin' heartbreaking. That's the only way I can describe it.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
    The one song i don't like on the cd is My Hero (it would fit well with the newer stuff)

Ive never heard anyone say they dont like 'My Hero'.

The drumming in that song is probably my favorite by the foo's.
  • It sounds ALOT like In Your Honor, just cut down to one cd.
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    chris01 wrote:
    Ive never heard anyone say they dont like 'My Hero'.

The drumming in that song is probably my favorite by the foo's.

Well, here's another one. I absolutely LOVE 'Everlong', totally dislike 'My Hero'.

Still love the Foos, of course! :)
  • how can anyone not like the pretender. i think its a great rock song. im listening to the rest of the album right now. thanks to the guy who posted it.
    ESPG sounds like the 3rd disc to In Your Honor. boring.....