the problem with a bunch of new bands

1235»

Comments

• JSBE wrote:
    jane, you beat me to it...except i can't be bothered to go to any of the big festivals and i'm 'only' 30. not that i wouldn't love to go, i would just rather see the bands i want in smaller venues.

i would also recommend the whole thing of checking out who bands you like like. some people on the porch take it a little too close to heart (as if anyone in pearl jam likes someone, then they HAVE to like them too), but more often than not you will like a band that the band you like respects and likes.

yeah I would have to agree on the festival thing. I am 30 also...I think the last festival I went to I was about 19 or 20 and I felt old then! And don't you think the warped tour and all that is really just like the crap that's on the radio?

haha ok, it's funny you mention taking advice from pearl jam- I've had it with Ed's taste in music! He keeps making my buy the strokes!
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Green Tea Disease, how to find new music. We have mentioned tons of bands in this thread alone. Go to their myspaces and listen to clips, or go to itunes and listen to clips. You might like something - you just have to take a little more responsibility for finding stuff than in the past. And go to Warped (or Lolla, Bamboozle, Coachella, Bonnarro.....) in the summer. I go to shows with my kid. Then, if you find music you like, find out what music THAT band likes. You might like that too.

ok I can search for bands on myspace at home.

is there a way to look on myspace when you're not looking for anything specific?
  • it's got nothing to do with music actually, i was just poking at her. i just generally find east coasters have an condescending attitude i find annoying... like if it's not on the east coast, it doesn't matter. new yorkers are the worst, but boston is catching up pretty quick. ;)

you do realize how much of ass you are being right? Don't you think that you, mr. midwesterner, are having a little attitude of your own???
  • meme wrote:
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned them, but it sounds to me like you'd like The Black Keys. Personally, I prefer KOL and Death Cab, but if I get what you mean by umph... you should check them out.

see, I have 2 black keys albums, and I don't like them.
  • JSBE wrote:
    w
    it sounds like to me that you are looking for another foo fighters-esque band and to be honest, you're probably not going to find one because most of the 'straightforward' guitar based popular rock really has really gone the way of crap (in my opinion). just looking at metacritic's top 2007 albums (http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2007.shtml) i can see a ton of stuff i would recommend, but very little, if any, that i would categorize in the same style as the foos. it is a rough time for fans of that style of music.

well no, I mean I happen to like the foo fighters, and they are the perfect example of a powerful, energetic band, that gets really into their music and conveys that to their audience. And I love how you can just rock out to it and stuff. A band doesn't have to sound like that per se, but they have to have that level of intensity.
  • I'm gonna second the recommendation for The Twilight Singers. Example: Yes!
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    yeah I would have to agree on the festival thing. I am 30 also...I think the last festival I went to I was about 19 or 20 and I felt old then! And don't you think the warped tour and all that is really just like the crap that's on the radio?

haha ok, it's funny you mention taking advice from pearl jam- I've had it with Ed's taste in music! He keeps making my buy the strokes!

the warped tour is something i stopped being interested in at least 5 years ago, between the fact that the majority of the bands were new found glory and angels and airwaves and that the show would always be smack in the middle of the hottest part of july in a parking lot.

i usually have liked most of the bands that pearl jam has had opening for them before they opened for them (s-k, mmj, idlewild, sparta to name a few). some of the other bands aren't my thing (ie - death cab, ben harper).
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    well no, I mean I happen to like the foo fighters, and they are the perfect example of a powerful, energetic band, that gets really into their music and conveys that to their audience. And I love how you can just rock out to it and stuff. A band doesn't have to sound like that per se, but they have to have that level of intensity.

i know what you're saying, but it is hard for me to think of someone that fits the bill of a powerful, energetic band...i don't even know who my perfect example would be.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JSBE wrote:
    i know what you're saying, but it is hard for me to think of someone that fits the bill of a powerful, energetic band...i don't even know who my perfect example would be.

flogging molly.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I could use a good dose of live NIN..... they never fail me
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    flogging molly.

Hey - a question - was anyone selling tickets outside the venue - I don't know where you saw them. Rochester is sold out. I'll keep looking on the day of, but am tempted to just go and hope to get a ticket.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    pjl44 wrote:
    Here are some of my favorites just from last year; some rockin', some not-so-rockin', but all passionate:

ROCKIN'
    Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
    Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest Of Times
    Pelican - City Of Echoes
    Coheed and Cambria - No World For Tomorrow
    Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet

NOT SO ROCKIN'

Minus The Bear - Planet Of Ice (best album of the year...)
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Jason Isbell - Sirens Of The Ditch
    Aereogramme - My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go

And I second the Twilight Singers recommendation....Twilight Singers, Gutter Twins, Afghan Whigs...it doesn't get much better than Dulli...

THANK YOU!!!! I will DEFINITELY check these bands out tonight!Some of these bands I have not heard of.....but CLUTCH kicks ass!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Danimal wrote:
    THANK YOU!!!! I will DEFINITELY check these bands out tonight!Some of these bands I have not heard of.....but CLUTCH kicks ass!!

You're goddamn right Clutch kicks ass. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving in 2 hours to see them. And will do the same tomorrow. I'm giddy with excitement!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JaneNY wrote:
    Hey - a question - was anyone selling tickets outside the venue - I don't know where you saw them. Rochester is sold out. I'll keep looking on the day of, but am tempted to just go and hope to get a ticket.

we showed up kinda late (didnt miss the band, but well after doors opened). i didnt see anybody selling, but that doesnt mean people werent out there earlier. i couldnt say.