the problem with a bunch of new bands

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JaneNY wrote:
    Have you ever listened to Mindless Self Indulgence? I guess they're not totally *new* but they're sure different and they are a BLAST live.

Chiodos rocks okay. Are you looking only for singing and no screamo? I mean, there's bands out there. You should go to more festivals - for a pretty small price you get a chance to listen to a bunch of bands. I usually discover one per festival that I want to investigate further. You can't rely on the radio to find new music any more.

How about Tiger Army? They are FABULOUS. Again, not totally new, but great.
    Street Dogs? And they'll be at Warped this year.

And I do not think people are more mellow at shows, if you go to the right shows. I stay out of the line of fire, but a wall of death is still fun to watch if you're not in it.

i was at flogging molly this past weekend and that crowd was anything but mellow ;)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm definately guilty of this but a lot of people tend to dismiss new music. People talk about the 60s, 70s or whatever generation they were bought up in as if they were the 'golden age.' But there was shit in the 60s and there's shit now. Just like there was gold in the 60s and there's gold now - if you know where to look.
  • and i feel like you might just not be willing to hear it becos you're used to the 90s alternative scene where that passion was easy to hear front and center by exaggerated vocal dramatics and wanker guitar noodling. the passion is there.

no this isn't the case. I loved 90s "grunge" and stuff, but that's not the only kind of music I like. I like classic punk and some california punk (ok, by "some" I mean Bad Religion :))...I LOVE the smiths...hell I like old michael jackson and traditional irish folk! I like a lot of 80s hair metal, pop, new wave, I like some 70s stuff, 60s stuff...I like elvis presley, I like fleetwood mac! I like stuff that came out the 90s that was far from grunge...I'm totally willing to hear it, I want to hear it, give it to me.

I like anything where you can listen and feel what the band is feeling, even if it's just adrenaline. but I'm not even getting any adrenaline.

oh as for hip hop...I dunno...when I was a kid and listening to hip hop because it wasn't cool to listen to rock, I couldn't get into it, it wasn't "me." I get really bored with hip hop.
    no this isn't the case. I loved 90s "grunge" and stuff, but that's not the only kind of music I like. I like classic punk and some california punk (ok, by "some" I mean Bad Religion :))...I LOVE the smiths...hell I like old michael jackson and traditional irish folk! I like a lot of 80s hair metal, pop, new wave, I like some 70s stuff, 60s stuff...I like elvis presley, I like fleetwood mac! I like stuff that came out the 90s that was far from grunge...I'm totally willing to hear it, I want to hear it, give it to me.

then it IS just energy and not passion. michael jackson is danceable. all the others are either danceable or energetic. punk is pumped up music. it is just about head banging or air drumming or whatever. indie doesn't have that. it's introverted. that doesn't mean it's not passionate or they don't care. just that it isn't good music for playing air guitar or karaoke. to say they are passionless is just ridiculous though, becos you are judging "passion" by whether or not they make you want to rock out or headbang, not whether or not their music is passionate. it just doesn't have the kind of energy you're used to. if you're used to ADD punk music and over-the-top hair metal or whatever, then yeah, today's indie is going to sound boring as shit to you. everything you listed is about as opposite as you can get from today's indie. so what's the problem? you don't like the scene now... fear not, it won't last.
    I like anything where you can listen and feel what the band is feeling, even if it's just adrenaline. but I'm not even getting any adrenaline.

oh as for hip hop...I dunno...when I was a kid and listening to hip hop because it wasn't cool to listen to rock, I couldn't get into it, it wasn't "me." I get really bored with hip hop.

well duh, that's the point. you're not going to feel adrenaline listening to indie becos the band is nOT FEELING adrenaline. just becos they're not feeling what you want them to feel doesn't mean they don't feel anything. they feel melancholy or introspection or dreams. i suspect this makes total sense. i can't picture you being the type to chill and mellow and feel introspective indie music. you're too type-a ;)

as to hip hop, i didnt like it as a kid either. but it sounds a helluva lot better now if you listen to the right stuff.
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I can make one suggestion... I have a lot on this board, but give the album 'Colors' a listen by Between the Buried and Me. That has emotion, aggression, passion, and energy all rolled into one. It's a progressive song that's a little over an hour long broken up into 8 sections...there's no pauses in the sound though, they just title each mood basically. There's amazing musicianship on that album. Their talent is through the roof.

However there's quite a bit of screaming, mostly deep screaming(almost like grunting I guess) if you don't mind that, it's powerful, but the man, Tommy Rogers, also has an amazing singing voice when he does sing, which he does in some parts, and some other songs from other albums.

They're currently touring in support of this album too, and it's an amazing live experience as well. They just come out and get right to it and play it straight through flawlessly.
  • then it IS just energy and not passion. michael jackson is danceable. all the others are either danceable or energetic. punk is pumped up music. it is just about head banging or air drumming or whatever. indie doesn't have that. it's introverted. that doesn't mean it's not passionate or they don't care. just that it isn't good music for playing air guitar or karaoke. to say they are passionless is just ridiculous though, becos you are judging "passion" by whether or not they make you want to rock out or headbang, not whether or not their music is passionate. it just doesn't have the kind of energy you're used to. if you're used to ADD punk music and over-the-top hair metal or whatever, then yeah, today's indie is going to sound boring as shit to you. everything you listed is about as opposite as you can get from today's indie. so what's the problem? you don't like the scene now... fear not, it won't last.

no it's passion too. michael jackson wasn't just dance music. he loved music, and you could hear it. I am not judging passion by whether I want to jump around. I'm not into over the top hair metal or whatever. As I said, it is a combination of the two. If you have passion, there will be a certain "energy" to your music. I'm not necessarily talking like huge masses of energy and headbanging-which is cool and all- but your audience will able to hear it come through. it was like the other night when dave grohl was standing on stage alone and singing everlong almost a capella- I had chills, I could feel his energy. that is what makes bands great. What makes pearl jam great? They LOVE music. They ENJOY making it. They make music for a reason. And it comes through. You can feel it. It doesn't matter if they're playing like Lukin or like elderly woman or something boring like that...I want to listen to bands that believe in their own music!
    no it's passion too. michael jackson wasn't just dance music. he loved music, and you could hear it. I am not judging passion by whether I want to jump around. I'm not into over the top hair metal or whatever. As I said, it is a combination of the two. If you have passion, there will be a certain "energy" to your music. I'm not necessarily talking like huge masses of energy and headbanging-which is cool and all- but your audience will able to hear it come through. that is what makes bands great. What makes pearl jam great? They LOVE music. They ENJOY making it. And it comes through. You can feel it. It doesn't matter if they're playing like Lukin or like elderly woman or something boring like that...I want to listen to bands that believe in their own music!

it's NOT passion. becos the bands you listed have everything you just said. the energy is just different. and plenty of audiences seem to be hearing it coming through. you just don't hear it for whatever reason, which is fine. but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the bands, it means the bands just aren't your thing. just like you say hip hop isn't your thing and that doesn't mean it's not passionate music. if you can't hear the joy in the music of band of horses, i don't know what to tell you. go to a snow patrol concert and tell me gary doesn't love what he does and the music he makes.

also, another band suggestion: hanson. im not joking. their last album is incredible and if you want to hear a band rocking out and LOVING the music they make, they're a great bet. they're like michael jackson meeting blues traveler.
  • they're like michael jackson meeting blues traveler.

that sounds...really...bad :).
  • it's NOT passion. becos the bands you listed have everything you just said. the energy is just different. and plenty of audiences seem to be hearing it coming through. you just don't hear it for whatever reason, which is fine. but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the bands, it means the bands just aren't your thing. just like you say hip hop isn't your thing and that doesn't mean it's not passionate music. if you can't hear the joy in the music of band of horses, i don't know what to tell you. go to a snow patrol concert and tell me gary doesn't love what he does and the music he makes.

well call it anything you want, but I feel anything when I listen to the radio these days. I'd almost prefer to HATE the music, at least it would be stirring something up.
  • they feel melancholy or introspection or dreams. i suspect this makes total sense. i can't picture you being the type to chill and mellow and feel introspective indie music. you're too type-a ;)

I'll chill and listen to mellow music, but not if the whole CD is just constant droning and droning.

and I don't think you are using "introspection" the right way, especially when you contrast it like bands like pearl jam. Eddie Vedder is hella introspective...um Layne Staley? what do you call that? I think with the new music it's more like the selfishness and consumerism of the "me" generation coming through in the music.
  • The irony of this thread is that the creator of it is a Foo Fighters fan. The Foo Fighters WERE good, but there is absolutley NO passion in their last two albums AT ALL.

Secondly, radio is the WORST place to find new music. There is a SHITload of amazing music being made, but you'd never tell by visiting billboard.com, listening to the radio, or watching MTV.

Also, I'm back.
  • The irony of this thread is that the creator of it is a Foo Fighters fan. The Foo Fighters WERE good, but there is absolutley NO passion in their last two albums AT ALL.

you have GOT to be kidding. I agree, I never liked In Your Honor, but ESP&G makes me love rock again. I feel it through my whole body.

Secondly, radio is the WORST place to find new music. There is a SHITload of amazing music being made, but you'd never tell by visiting billboard.com, listening to the radio, or watching MTV.

well we have a station in boston that isn't like most commercial rock stations. I'd never in a million years read billboard or watch MTV. But a good progressive radio station tells you what people like at a given moment in time. It tells you what the feel is, what's going on. As a sort of "student" of rock history, the radio is an invaluable tool. And hell, I met a lot a lot of my favorite bands on the radio. But then again, I've never heard a station like FNX in other parts of the country.

so then where do YOU get new music?
  • Also, I'm just now reading the whole thread.

I'll agree with whoever said that PJ needs to get experimental on their next album.

If their next album is another grunge-guitar-rehash album, then I'm done as a fan.

• If their next album is another grunge-guitar-rehash album, then I'm done as a fan.

wtf, when have they ever "rehashed grunge"???
    and sorry to break it to you, but they are guitar players. If you want Mike McCready to learn how to play the saw, write him a personal note but I'm not gonna support that.
  • you have GOT to be kidding. I agree, I never liked In Your Honor, but ESP&G makes me love rock again. I feel it through my whole body.

well we have a station in boston that isn't like most commercial rock stations. I'd never in a million years read billboard or watch MTV. But a good progressive radio station tells you what people like at a given moment in time. It tells you what the feel is, what's going on. As a sort of "student" of rock history, the radio is an invaluable tool. And hell, I met a lot a lot of my favorite bands on the radio.

so then where do YOU get new music?

I get a shitload of new music from my boss.

Also, I go into record shops and buy random stuff form bands that have cool names that I've never heard before.

Also, as much as it is lame, myspace is incredible for finding new shit.

Recently I've been digging Mastodon(new album, still have to get Leviathan) big time.
  • Also, I go into record shops and buy random stuff form bands that have cool names that I've never heard before.

lol I do this like once a month. I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I've completely wasted on utter shit.
  • wtf, when have they ever "rehashed grunge"???
    and sorry to break it to you, but they are guitar players. If you want Mike McCready to learn how to play the saw, write him a personal note but I'm not gonna support that.

LOL....how do you equate experimental with playing the saw?

Something different is all I'm looking for.

Like I said before, PJ's last great album was Binaural.

I mean, HOW MANY SONGS CAN YOU CREATE WITH POWRCHORDS HAT HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE? Honestly.

They've done their return to form, now it's time for something new. Stuff like Push me, Pull Me, help help, You Are...something more intriguing. Maybe something with some horns? or a crazy boom organ line as the main riff. They need to do something different before they turn into cliches of themselves I.E. Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili peppers.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    its amazing to me how little a lot of people know of ween... some may know of their older stuff... but they have evolved a ton over the years and are in my mind one of the best rock acts on the planet live... its hard to know where to start with them but if you like what you see/hear check out their live in chicago DVD or see them live!!... here are a few randoms:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9FMtnd6Mo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kN_ZVkEZkY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D37oC1gxqxE

and one fucking trippy music video :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DU91POX33aE

the show here...what a great fucking time: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uO2l0tVbNZI
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Are you familiar with the Twilight Singers Greenteadisease? Their last album Powder Burns is immense, check it out:
    http://media.putfile.com/Theres-Been-An-Accident
  • LOL....how do you equate experimental with playing the saw?

Something different is all I'm looking for.

Like I said before, PJ's last great album was Binaural.

I mean, HOW MANY SONGS CAN YOU CREATE WITH POWRCHORDS HAT HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE? Honestly.

They've done their return to form, now it's time for something new. Stuff like Push me, Pull Me, help help, You Are...something more intriguing. Maybe something with some horns? or a crazy boom organ line as the main riff. They need to do something different before they turn into cliches of themselves I.E. Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili peppers.

As long as it doesn't sound anything like Architecture in Helsinki. My god, that shit is like painful to listen to. Nails on a chalkboard.

but you're seriously saying that no rock bands should ever play guitar again? I mean that's crazy talk. There's been plenty of new sounds coming out of guitars over the course of rock history. It's about the overall sound, not the progression of power chords.
  • Are you familiar with the Twilight Singers Greenteadisease? Their last album Powder Burns is immense, check it out:
    http://media.putfile.com/Theres-Been-An-Accident

thanks.
    that sounds...really...bad :).

i only meant it in the sense that they've gone beyond pure bubblegum pop to play some great bluesy rock music that still has those great pop harmony vocals. maybe a better descriptor would be a more fun and energetic csny.

regardless, call it consumerism if you will, but you seem like a person who needs to stay active all the time. not the type to just sit and burn a joint and chill out for an hour and do or think nothing. that's what the new indie is about. maybe introspection has different connotations for you, but to me it is more akin to sustained, mellow self reflection. deep, peaceful thinkers. the melancholy irish concept of poets and thinkers. or zen buddhism. whatever you wanna call it. it's not layne staley's self-loathing which is still tinged with anger and rage. it's like comparing shawshank redemption to requiem for a dream. shawshank is phenomenal but it's very melancholy and methodically paced, while requiem is almost sickening in its gut-level impact. indie music is not for sudden jolts of energy or quick fixes of emotion. it's for long, sustained reflection. meditative.
  • i only meant it in the sense that they've gone beyond pure bubblegum pop to play some great bluesy rock music that still has those great pop harmony vocals. maybe a better descriptor would be a more fun and energetic csny.

regardless, call it consumerism if you will, but you seem like a person who needs to stay active all the time. not the type to just sit and burn a joint and chill out for an hour and do or think nothing. that's what the new indie is about. sustained, mellow self reflection. deep thinkers. whatever you wanna call it. it's not layne staley's self-loathing which is still tinged with anger. it's like comparing shawshank redemption to requiem for a dream. shawshank is phenomenal but it's very melancholy and methodically paced, while requiem is almost sickening in its gut-level reaction. indie music is not for sudden jolts of energy or quick fixes of emotion. it's for long, sustained reflection. meditative.

burning a joint? lol, are you like 12? :)

I don't know how that music can make you "reflect" on anything. the lyrics are meaningless, I swear most of them have GOT to be about experiences one has while shopping at the galleria...and it's not about the tempo of the music, soulsinging...it's about actually having a key change...or a freaking CHORD change in some of these song...a bridge...a tempo change...anything. If I want white noise, I'll listen to the dish washer. It's about the same.

Actually in all seriousness, I see a lot of this new rock as EXTREMELY similar to electronic dance music, with the formulaic nature of 80s hair metal.
  • As long as it doesn't sound anything like Architecture in Helsinki. My god, that shit is like painful to listen to. Nails on a chalkboard.

but you're seriously saying that no rock bands should ever play guitar again? I mean that's crazy talk. There's been plenty of new sounds coming out of guitars over the course of rock history. It's about the overall sound, not the progression of power chords.

Please quote where I said they rock bands shouldn't play guitar?

Oh right, i didn't

I'm saying that I would really, really like to see PJ do something completely different on their next one. S/T was OK, but some of the songs are very derivative of their older stuff...not to mention extremely simple guitar lines. You can play guitar and be experimental*.
  • I'm saying that I would really, really like to see PJ do something completely different on their next one. S/T was OK, but some of the songs are very derivative of their older stuff...not to mention extremely simple guitar lines. You can play guitar and be experimental*.

well I agree, however, one must make sure not to change at the expense of musicianship.
    burning a joint? lol, are you like 12? :)

I don't know how that music can make you "reflect" on anything. the lyrics are meaningless, I swear most of them have GOT to be about experiences one has while shopping at the galleria...and it's not about the tempo of the music, soulsinging...it's about actually having a key change...or a freaking CHORD change in some of these song...a bridge...a tempo change...anything. If I want white noise, I'll listen to the dish washer. It's about the same.

Actually in all seriousness, I see a lot of this new rock as EXTREMELY similar to electronic dance music, with the formulaic nature of 80s hair metal.

ah, the old age knock. are you like a 45-year old mom... obsessing about nothing but your figure and how music was better in your day and drug users are immature? for the record, i don't smoke. but i do understand the concept of chilling out, something i doubt you've done a single day in your life.

and most of the lyrics of soundgarden and nirvana are complete gibberish too. hell, kurt cobain flat out admitted most of his lyrics dont mean a damn thing, he just took scraps of poems he'd written and pasted them together as needed. it's on their dvd. but oh yeah, they get a "cool pass" becos they were hip when you were a teen and thus automatically superior, like your child of the 80s nostalgia for lame hair metal and annoying 80s music.

if you dont dig it, that's your thing. but it doesn't mean it's no good or has no passion. just that you feel that music has to have x, y, and z to be passionate or good, which is ridiculous.
  • ah, the old age knock. are you like a 45-year old mom... obsessing about nothing but your figure and how music was better in your day and drug users are immature? for the record, i don't smoke. but i do understand the concept of chilling out, something i doubt you've done a single day in your life.

and most of the lyrics of soundgarden and nirvana are complete gibberish too. hell, kurt cobain flat out admitted most of his lyrics dont mean a damn thing, he just took scraps of poems he'd written and pasted them together as needed. it's on their dvd. but oh yeah, they get a "cool pass" becos they were hip when you were a teen and thus automatically superior, like your child of the 80s nostalgia for lame hair metal and annoying 80s music.

if you dont dig it, that's your thing. but it doesn't mean it's no good or has no passion. just that you feel that music has to have x, y, and z to be passionate or good, which is ridiculous.

how about this in summary then, rather than parsing words and trying explain feelings and things that are difficult to explain: it is boring.

ok, that is what I meant by this thread. My opinion is it's boring. Take that however you want to you, extract any meaning you want. boring.

and for the record, you were the one who brought up lyrics, I don't really give a shit about lyrics. And I've never been a big fan of Nirvana, and I don't like "nostalgia rock."
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I know a load of people here will crucify me for it, but in terms of passion, energy and impressive musicianship, you could do a lot worse than checking out Alter Bridge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yz_j7nVCJJ0

This is the title song from their latest album Blackbird. The song was written by the singer for a lost friend, I saw them perform it live a couple of weeks ago, and man, the singer's (Myles Kennedy) vocal performance was absolutely devastating.

It's cool if you don't dig it, and I really won't engage in a debate about the band, but in terms of the things you mentioned, I think they tick all the boxes.
    not bad, but I can't help but feel this sounds like Chevelle, or System of a down or Miser. I'm getting a mix of all 3 bands in this one song. That's the problem with these bands. Like the original poster said, the rock sound on radio like this is so generic. A beautiful song though, but this doesn't make me want to listen to an Alter Bridge album. This is however a step up from the first single they ever released, can't remember what it was though.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    how about this in summary then, rather than parsing words and trying explain feelings and things that are difficult to explain: it is boring.

ok, that is what I meant by this thread. My opinion is it's boring. Take that however you want to you, extract any meaning you want. boring.

and for the record, you were the one who brought up lyrics, I don't really give a shit about lyrics. And I've never been a big fan of Nirvana, and I don't like "nostalgia rock."

1. im pretty sure i didnt type the word lyric once in this entire thread until you brought up it up by saying indie lyrics were meaningless or inspired by shopping at the galleria (whatever that means). i said indie music is generally introspective and introverted in terms of mood and sound. i never said anything about the lyrical content.

2. that's what i've been saying this whole time. you think indie is boring. that's fine. i mentioned a few bands that have more pep and are more lively than the average indie band. i only took issue when you started saying that not only were they boring, you felt qualified to pass judgment on their intentions and conclude they were not passionate about their music and they were all writing songs at the mall for commercial soundtracks just becos you don't like or get them, which simply is not true. you may think they're boring just as we both seem to agree electronic dance is boring. but i'd not presume to judge the people who produce it have no passion or pride for what they do just becos i don't like it. i just may not care for the result.

3. you mentioned radio... there is your problem. the days of broadcast radio is over. they will only play the most generic music that appeals to the biggest chunk of the bell curve. they have no choice. they cannot compete with online streaming, satellite radio, itunes, and file-sharing. the radio is for music listeners who don't really care for music. you find good music by talking to friends, reading blogs, scrolling the message boards, etc. someone suggested festivals... most of the music i listen to now is stuff i checked out for a music festival. but you've also got to be patient and have an open mind.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Recently I've been digging Mastodon(new album, still have to get Leviathan) big time.

all of their albums are awesome. gtd - go buy mastodon's most recent album (blood mountain) and if it doesn't rock you, then, well...um...i don't know. (fyi - mastodon were the foo's guests for their little vma hotel room thing).

and to each their own as to what rocks for them and what doesn't.

and fnx is better than it used to be a couple years ago, but it is still pretty crap.