the problem with a bunch of new bands

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited February 2008 in Other Music
they're just ok. I don't hate them like I hated all that nu-metal stuff at the beginning of the decade, but I'm not running out to buy their albums either. The thing is, there is no PASSION to be found! I feel like just screaming at the radio when I hear the bravery or death cab (ok I know they're not new, but you get my drift) or whatever: "you're in a f-ing ROCK BAND, ROCK will you!!!" Like I dunno, I just can't get into it. Seems like to be a musician you should be passionate about SOMETHING, there should be some ENERGY. All the bands I love, it's like you can feel their heart and soul just powering out, there's some kind of anger or love or hate or...something...that they are getting out...I dunno, I just can't fired up about anyone it seems. Maybe I'm just old now!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    well said gtd.....i've these bands that are talked about here and TO ME they all sound the same.....and you're right no passion....they seem almost like cookie cutter bands - same makeup but different shapes....
  • cutback wrote:
    well said gtd.....i've these bands that are talked about here and TO ME they all sound the same.....and you're right no passion....they seem almost like cookie cutter bands - same makeup but different shapes....

yeah I hate to say it but it is somewhat reminiscent of 80s hair metal-very formulaic.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    yeah I hate to say it but it is somewhat reminiscent of 80s hair metal-very formulaic.

true.....
  • I know a load of people here will crucify me for it, but in terms of passion, energy and impressive musicianship, you could do a lot worse than checking out Alter Bridge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yz_j7nVCJJ0

This is the title song from their latest album Blackbird. The song was written by the singer for a lost friend, I saw them perform it live a couple of weeks ago, and man, the singer's (Myles Kennedy) vocal performance was absolutely devastating.

It's cool if you don't dig it, and I really won't engage in a debate about the band, but in terms of the things you mentioned, I think they tick all the boxes.
  • I know a load of people here will crucify me for it, but in terms of passion, energy and impressive musicianship, you could do a lot worse than checking out Alter Bridge.

This is the title song from their latest album Blackbird. The song was written by the singer for a lost friend, I saw them perform it live a couple of weeks ago, and man, the singer's (Myles Kennedy) vocal performance was absolutely devastating.

It's cool if you don't dig it, and I really won't engage in a debate about the band, but in terms of the things you mentioned, I think they tick all the boxes.

cool, I will. always ready to take recommendations!
  • yeah I hate to say it but it is somewhat reminiscent of 80s hair metal-very formulaic.

agreed, but the good thing about today's music is atleast the kids are into current rock instead them all being into hip-hop like a few years ago. Even if its not doing that much for me.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I agree, takes lots of searching through average or shit bands just to find a decent one. Right now I havent really had the time to listen to alot of new bands so I am stuck listening to the same old stuff.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    check out the band 'brand new.' their last album is like a screaming howl from the height of the 90s transported forward through time. it's amazing.

there are good bands out there, though there is also more restraint. band of horses, the national, etc. they don't "rock" out like rvm's closing. but that's not always bad. it makes it addictive in many cases. if you listen to the beatles, they rarely ever rocked out, there was always a measure of restraint in their music.

the hold steady also rock like the best bar band ever to take the stage. but you've got to accept that he doesn't really sing.
  • check out the band 'brand new.' their last album is like a screaming howl from the height of the 90s transported forward through time. it's amazing.

there are good bands out there, though there is also more restraint. band of horses, the national, etc. they don't "rock" out like rvm's closing. but that's not always bad. it makes it addictive in many cases. if you listen to the beatles, they rarely ever rocked out, there was always a measure of restraint in their music.

the hold steady also rock like the best bar band ever to take the stage. but you've got to accept that he doesn't really sing.

yeah and I've never really liked the beatles!

(disclaimer: before anyone jumps on me, I'm perfectly happy to study the beatles. I get what they were about, I get what they did for music. I just have a heard time really loving that music)

I don't know..."restraint" and "rock"...not sure they go together...

and love "rocking out" :). That's why I ADORE the foo fighters, there is nothing better to rock out to...jump around, spin around, dance, air drum...
    There are different types of rock but just because they arent yelling doesnt mean that they are restraining themselves.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I know a load of people here will crucify me for it, but in terms of passion, energy and impressive musicianship, you could do a lot worse than checking out Alter Bridge.

I'm gonna come out and say it now that I kinda don't mind Creed :p (Alter Bridge is made up of some of the members if I remember correctly). Say what you want about them but at least they had at least some sort of passion.
  • are you guys talking about radio rock? i cant listen to any shit that comes on the radio anymore. its all pretty terrible (thats including shit bands like Alter Bridge and Creed, jesus whats wrong with you people :)). The only thing Staap was passionate about was imitating Eddie, getting hammered, and being a douchebag.

I guess I've migrated over towards to indie-ish camp nowadays. no way you can say White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Strokes, or any of those bands sound anything alike.

I like hard stuff too, but metal and similar is creatively dead right now.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    are you guys talking about radio rock? i cant listen to any shit that comes on the radio anymore. its all pretty terrible (thats including shit bands like Alter Bridge and Creed, jesus whats wrong with you people :)). The only thing Staap was passionate about was imitating Eddie, getting hammered, and being a douchebag.

I guess I've migrated over towards to indie-ish camp nowadays. no way you can say White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Strokes, or any of those bands sound anything alike.

I like hard stuff too, but metal and similar is creatively dead right now.

um, wasn't creed from like 10 years ago? I don't think they are playing that on the radio anymore, what they play on the radio now *IS* the White Stripes, Kings of Leon, the Strokes- those are not '"indie" bands, they just sound indie. These are exactly the bands I am talking about. They have no umph. and there's no difference between these radio bands and all the real "indie" stuff out there in the clubs- same basic type of music.
  • I know I said I wouldn't do it, but....there is a HUGE difference between Creed and Alter Bridge. Check out the song I posted, sounds nothing like Creed. I hated Creed, and I certainly wouldn't be listening to Alter Bridge if I thought they sounded similar. It's easy to judge a band based on a couple of songs, but that's like saying you can understand all of what Pearl Jam are about by listening to Alive.

The singer for Alter Bridge is the real deal, no bull shit posturing - and who knows if you gave them a proper chance, listen to some of their heavier stuff, it's a lot better than you might think.
  • that alter bridge song is killer
  • that alter bridge song is killer

Damn straight! I was actually shocked last time I saw them how heavy they've gotten live. I think the people who still think they bare resemblance to Creed, have a bit of a warped idea of what Creed sounded like.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The arcade fire have somve very passionate songs.

If they don't sound that way on the album spend the money to go see them live.

I have a friend who complains about the same stuff. I like passionate lyrics and singing, but I can get by without it if the structure and song is interesting and perhaps the lyrics are interesting.

I mean Jeff Tweedy is not belting it out like Eddie did in 1992, but Jeff's stuff is awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Avant-Garde is the new big thing.
    Traditional rock is dead. We've heard the same riffs and chords over and over again.
    Radiohead isn't even a making rock albums anymore,
    yet they're still the best "rock band" right now.

I have a feeling that Stone Gossard like this kind of style, I'm hoping he stands up to Eddie and demand a change in the band's direction.
    Avant-Garde/Experimental Rock is the way to go!!!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LongRd. wrote:
    Avant-Garde is the new big thing.
    Traditional rock is dead. We've heard the same riffs and chords over and over again.
    Radiohead isn't even a making rock albums anymore,
    yet they're still the best "rock band" right now.

I have a feeling that Stone Gossard like this kind of style, I'm hoping he stands up to Eddie and demand a change in the band's direction.
    Avant-Garde/Experimental Rock is the way to go!!!

I hope you're kidding that you hope PJ goes avant guard...do we see Mike McCready doing a saw solo anytime soon!

You can be whatever kind of rock you want, just give me some f-ing energy. Honestly "traditional rock" will never die, even if it goes to sleep every once in a while. I think the reaction of the crowd at the foo show last night confirms that.
    I hope you're kidding that you hope PJ goes avant guard...do we see Mike McCready doing a saw solo anytime soon!

You can be whatever kind of rock you want, just give me some f-ing energy. Honestly "traditional rock" will never die, even if it goes to sleep every once in a while. I think the reaction of the crowd at the foo show last night confirms that.
    I'm dead serious.
    Lately I've been listening to Radiohead and Mike Patton's side projects,

Estradasphere, Queens of the Stone Age (somewhat of an Avant-Garde metal) and others a lot lately.
    It refreshing and innovative music.
    It just needs radio support and it'll be mainstream.

EDIT: forgot to mention Thom Yorke's solo release "The Eraser" = awesomeness!!!
  • LongRd. wrote:
    I'm dead serious.
    Lately I've been listening to Radiohead and Mike Patton's side projects,

Estradasphere, Queens of the Stone Age (somewhat of an Avant-Garde metal) and others a lot lately.
    It refreshing and innovative music.
    It just needs radio support and it'll be mainstream.

I just consider QOTSA a rock band, I love QOTSA but I wouldn't even call them innovative...to me "avant garde" is like the velvet underground was in the 60s, or like I dunno, sigur ros or something that's just totally bizarre.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    um, wasn't creed from like 10 years ago? I don't think they are playing that on the radio anymore, what they play on the radio now *IS* the White Stripes, Kings of Leon, the Strokes- those are not '"indie" bands, they just sound indie. These are exactly the bands I am talking about. They have no umph. and there's no difference between these radio bands and all the real "indie" stuff out there in the clubs- same basic type of music.

brand new has umph. so does buckcherry. silverchair.
  • brand new has umph. so does buckcherry. silverchair.

I'll check out brand new. I am kinda liking the new silverchair I have to say. I remember in high school when they first came out we all hated them because they were "posers" :). buckcherry...eh not so much.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    couple albums to check out

Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
    Black Mountain - In The Future

http://youtube.com/watch?v=US0U9tixJbo
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Nope... I love almost all new Indie Rock... the more I listen the more I love it... not the more popular stuff like death cab, arcade fire, or Modest Mouse... I like bands like pinback, menomena, Iron & Wine, Wolf Parade, and MGMT. These newer bands have such a simple subtle way of making music so awesome and catchy. Also, I really like the new vocal styles. They are no longer growling monkey assholes... they have nice smooth voices.... its just relaxing. Although I do have to admit that every now and then I cleanse my musical pallette with some good old Hard Rock
    Nope... I love almost all new Indie Rock... the more I listen the more I love it... not the more popular stuff like death cab, arcade fire, or Modest Mouse... I like bands like pinback, menomena, Iron & Wine, Wolf Parade, and MGMT. These newer bands have such a simple subtle way of making music so awesome and catchy. Also, I really like the new vocal styles. They are no longer growling monkey assholes... they have nice smooth voices.... its just relaxing. Although I do have to admit that every now and then I cleanse my musical pallette with some good old Hard Rock
    Wolf Parade. now that's a fun to listen too.
    Yeah!!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    couple albums to check out

Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
    Black Mountain - In The Future

http://youtube.com/watch?v=US0U9tixJbo

Thinking about seeing The Black Lips live pretty soon.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• um, wasn't creed from like 10 years ago? I don't think they are playing that on the radio anymore, what they play on the radio now *IS* the White Stripes, Kings of Leon, the Strokes- those are not '"indie" bands, they just sound indie. These are exactly the bands I am talking about. They have no umph. and there's no difference between these radio bands and all the real "indie" stuff out there in the clubs- same basic type of music.

really? they never play that stuff here. its just nonstop Seether, Nickelback, random shit emo band, and fake metal here. they tried playing White Stripes once but the 12 year old numetal kids werent having that.

i hate that term indie but i cant think of a better one. Is QOTSA indie? none of these bands sound anything alike to me. they've all got a similar crowd i guess but musically i dont hear it. i just disagree.

except with a lot of those brit rockers. they do sound a lot alike to me. all trying to copy the Beetles
  • they're just ok. I don't hate them like I hated all that nu-metal stuff at the beginning of the decade, but I'm not running out to buy their albums either. The thing is, there is no PASSION to be found! I feel like just screaming at the radio when I hear the bravery or death cab (ok I know they're not new, but you get my drift) or whatever: "you're in a f-ing ROCK BAND, ROCK will you!!!" Like I dunno, I just can't get into it. Seems like to be a musician you should be passionate about SOMETHING, there should be some ENERGY. All the bands I love, it's like you can feel their heart and soul just powering out, there's some kind of anger or love or hate or...something...that they are getting out...I dunno, I just can't fired up about anyone it seems. Maybe I'm just old now!

I agree. Almost everything now sounds the same. Nothing special.

I love Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains