What song would You commit suicide to?

thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
edited September 2007 in Other Music
This is very morbid, but I was reading a book (..Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman) and he was talking about how he knew the very song he would play if he decided he was going to off himself. Anyone know theirs?

I think mine would be Around the Bend. It's kind of soft and gentle and it sounds like the lyrics are for someone about to take a journey. I wouldn't want something too emotional so people would read into it. Like something like Black would totally throw everyone off to think that I was upset about a girl, when in fact it is just my favorite song; it would be kind of like a last meal, but just listening to my favorite song one last time, you know? But I would go with Around the Bend..

note: im not thinking about offing myself, it's just a question that will get some strage answers I'm excited to read.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    interesting topic.....last night i was outside staring at the moon listening to society and i thought the lyrics could make a good suicide note....
  • Weird topic.......I wouldnt kill myself but if I did..........

Joy Division - Isolation

or The Doors - The End, When The Musics Over
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • My War--Black Flag
    the Minions
  • ...I'm just coming "home" (the home of my uncle who I visited, three hours by train from my actual hometown away) from an ANNA TERNHEIM concert, which took place in Bielefeld, Germany. She was playing a solo gig, guitar, piano, beautiful drum and sound playbacks and, of course, her vocals...it was so touching, so overwhelming...

After hearing my mother's voice first when being born, I would definetely prefer to die with hearing a woman's voice...Anna Ternheim would be the one...because I die every time I hear her songs...

Which specific song?

She made a brilliant cover of swedish Daniel Broder's "Shoreline".

The perfect one would be "To be gone". Check out the keyboard-version on youtube ("...at Grammisgalan" - swedish 'Grammy'-show).

"Leave the body leave the mind
    Leave the body leave the mind
    Every promise every place behind

I just happen to feel so alone
    For today for all days to come

I just wanna be wanna be gone
    I just wanna be wanna be gone

Leave the quiet leave the night
    Leave the quiet leave the night
    Broken feelings of dreams out of sight

Pictures in your head at night
    For tonight for all nights to come

Erased for good and always gone
    Erased for good and always gone

Leave the city leave the cold
    Leave the city leave the cold
    Young people far too old

Let me cross a very fine line
    For today for a lifetime
    For today for a lifetime

Let me
    Every promise every place behind

I just happen to feel so alone

I just wanna be wanna be gone"
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• Stone Cold Mutha-Fuckin' Crazy

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    blink182-adams song
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• upina2001 wrote:
    Stone Cold Mutha-Fuckin' Crazy

Hey you,

recognizing you to post simultaneously with me (see the time on "last edited") we should consider making a suicide together as well...

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”

• blink182-adams song

...another one!

~~~

• i would drive off a cliff, just as "THE WAVE CAME CRASHING LIKE A FIST TO THE JAW" was blaring over the system
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I would Choose Exit Music (For a Film) by Radiohead.

Pretty apropiate for a song about Romeo and Juliet.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I would Choose Exit Music (For a Film) by Radiohead.

and you'd just hope that you choke, I suppose.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I would Choose Exit Music (For a Film) by Radiohead.

How to Disappear Completely came into thought for me, but it was too much of a downer for a last song type of thing...but then again if I'm killing myself I would probably be in the mood for a downer song.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    see this is a question I often mix up with what songs I want played at my funeral. See if I were to make a mixtape for my funeral (assuming I died from something other than myself) I would make it of songs I liked that wouldn't make people feel worse than they already did (assuming they actually liked/loved me and they didn't just go to my funeral to go through the motions). I think I could make a pretty good mixtape. I could put Black on that one because although it might be a downer, the guitair solo towards the end (This would be a live version for obvious reasons) would be sweet to listen to while standing in a long line at calling hours (again assuming people liked me)

can anyone tell I'm bored as hell at work?
  • I plan on taking myself out to NIN's Hurt. The whole Downward Spiral album culminates perfectly into that song.

If I could start again, a million miles away
    I would keep myself, I would have found a way.
  • Footsteps
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • Last Exit, maybe?

I dunno. Maybe Let's Face the Music and Dance, so I could go out laughing.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    blink182-adams song

what a shocker! ;):p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Good question!

The first thing I thought of was Marilyn Manson's Speed of Pain.

I'll have to think some more and get back to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87clhcvQ99Y

They slit our throats
    Like we were flowers
    And our milk has been devoured

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times you hate it
    It always seems to last
    But just remember when you think you're free
    The crack inside your fucking heart is me
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Indifference
  • Like Suicide
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Down in a Hole~AIC or
    The End~The Doors or
    When the Music's Over~The Doors
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I guess Adam's Song by Blink 182 (as mentioned before) would be appropriate in my case.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Good question!

The first thing I thought of was Marilyn Manson's Speed of Pain.

I'll have to think some more and get back to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87clhcvQ99Y

They slit our throats
    Like we were flowers
    And our milk has been devoured

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times you hate it
    It always seems to last
    But just remember when you think you're free
    The crack inside your fucking heart is me

this was the first song i loved on mechanical animals. havent heard mention of it in years....going to go play it now.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Dumb Ass question but whenever I hear this song if I'm about to get the chair I'd lke to hear.....Metallica's...."FADE TO BLACK".....

Metallica - Ride the lightning
    Fade To Black

Life it seems, will fade away
    Drifting further every day
    Getting lost within myself
    Nothing matters no one else
    I have lost the will to live
    Simply nothing more to give
    There is nothing more for me
    Need the end to set me free

Things are not what they used to be
    Missing one inside of me
    Deathly lost, this can't be real
    Cannot stand this hell I feel
    Emptiness is filing me
    To the point of agony
    Growing darkness taking dawn
    I was me, but now He's gone
    No one but me can save myself, but it to late
    Now I can't think, think why I should even try
    Yesterday seems as though it never existed
    Death Greets me warm, now I will just say good-bye......

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    thunderDAN wrote:
    How to Disappear Completely came into thought for me, but it was too much of a downer for a last song type of thing...but then again if I'm killing myself I would probably be in the mood for a downer song.

odd that HTDC's lyrics are influenced by a line from Michael Stipe trying to cheer up/calm down Yorke from the pressure of touring after OK Computer..yet you'd choose it to listen to while committing suicide. beautiful piece work..just can't picture killing yourself to it w/ the message in mind, although i agree i mainly listen to it when i'm down and the song's feel is pretty grim. sorry for the history lesson if it's common knowledge to everyone, just find it interesting.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Comfortably Numb
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    this was the first song i loved on mechanical animals. havent heard mention of it in years....going to go play it now.

Just to enjoy it right? :eek: I'm not supposed to be reading between the lines or anything? :o

I do love Mechanical Animals, it's my favorite MM album. It's one you can just put on and walk away from, you don't need to skip any tracks.

Speed of Pain and Coma White, especially the acoustic version on Last Tour On Earth are both favorites of mine when I'm filled with melancholy and angst.
    Anyway, hope you enjoy it. I may just hunt out the album and put it on myself now and listen with you. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Rotten Apple By Alice In Chains
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    strangely enough this is not something i have actually thought of.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Black, maybe?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009