I respect Neil Young but, I cannot....

Comments

• DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    Definately can't agree with this, Neil is the man, and his songs rock! Sure he's not the most gifted vocallist ever, but he writes songs that work with his voice, and his overall sound is more than impressive.
    Rock on uncle Neil!!!

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    JaneNY wrote:
    agreed. I quite like his voice actually. I kind of got into Pearl Jam late, and before I really knew all their music, I was playing No Code and heard Smile, and my first thought was there's Neil-ness in there some way some how...

good call. smile is a great example of just how much neil is in pj. corduroy is another one.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    JaneNY wrote:
    agreed. I quite like his voice actually. I kind of got into Pearl Jam late, and before I really knew all their music, I was playing No Code and heard Smile, and my first thought was there's Neil-ness in there some way some how...

good call. smile is a great example of just how much neil is in pj. corduroy is another one.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    I remember reading some reviews that said No Code was a complete Neil Young ripoff.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • falconfalcon Posts: 163
    JaneNY wrote:

Good call. I can really here it.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    I remember reading some reviews that said No Code was a complete Neil Young ripoff.

I believe the word you're looking for is...tribute!

Peace
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i am just now starting to seriously get into NY and i have to say the man is one of our best songwriters.. Beatles, Dylan, Young, Springsteen etc. cannot say a bad word about him. he's always done what he wanted to do and could care less if it alienated his fanbase or pissed off his label.

rock and roll can never die...
  • .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

The man can write, but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Ive been waiting a few years for someone else to say it first ;p

Neil's acoustic stuff is great, the chalkboard fits it perfectly. But the whole 'electric grunge Neil' is laughable. I do respect the crappy albums he put out to spite his label in the 80s though. Always good for a laugh.
    If it weren't for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college.
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Everyone can have their opinion .....that being said this just made me laugh!!!

NEIL YOUNG is the "Godfather of Grunge" and by far one of the most influential singer/songwriters of the 20th century and he's still performing!!!!
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    I believe the word you're looking for is...tribute!

Peace

Sounds good to me, I love Neil Young and No Code.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    cool, and i don't give a fuck what you think about neil.

i don't think people like neil because "it's the cool thing", i think they like neil because, uh, they like neil.

What is amazing is that most, if not all of the people, who said they don't like Young said they respect him and the influence he has had over rock and roll and still people post that he is the "godfather of grunge" and that he was a big influence on Pearl Jam. That is obvious and has been noted. We don't like his voice. Get over it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • I remember reading some reviews that said No Code was a complete Neil Young ripoff.

Ed does Neil better than Neil himself.
    'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
    Ed does Neil better than Neil himself.

Indeeeeed. :D
  • Niel Yung sux! His voice is so whiney and stuf. He culd never right a song as good as Cum Bak!
  • i_alexi_alex Posts: 2
    I agree whole-heartedly.......that whiney ass old fogie hippie, he should go back to playing with Rick James (oh, right...he died)......songwriter, sure....performer/singer, blech!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    dude, i'm so over it. i said i don't give a fuck what you think about neil...what part of that didn't you understand?

i've been a neil fan for a looooong time, longer than i've been a pj fan (well, they weren't around in 89). i stopped caring what people think about him a while ago...why bother? i like him and that's all that matters to me.

What part did you not understand of me saying I don't give a fuck if people like Neil Young? You get a cookie for being a fan of his since 89.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

I totally agree. Neil Young is a legendary lyricist but his voice sounds like Siamese cats fucking.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • RevolverRevolver Posts: 34
    Neil Young is God. He's better than you'll ever be.

I bow to his greatness daily.
    Revolver wrote:
    Neil Young is God. He's better than you'll ever be.

I bow to his greatness daily.

See above Siamese cat comment...lol
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • I don't understand why people hate his voice.

It's not a traditional voice, but it's not nails on a chalkboard.

Christ, that man is great..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Alright, I just read the thread and argued someone saying Neil was a better songwriter than Neil. I opposed Neil in that thread, but my god, nails on a chalkboard?? Got to question your musical taste???
    tacos
    See above Siamese cat comment...lol

Well, find me another 60 year old that can rock as hard as he does. I doubt you can.
  • Ed does Neil better than Neil himself.

Not to be immature, but this is funnneeee. :D:D:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • hippiemom wrote:
    Oh my god no!!!! His voice is perfect for his music, and the way he plays that guitar ..... wow. I don't ever want Ed to get sick of course, but it's a thrill to see Neil anytime, anywhere. Toledo '04 was one of the highlights of my concert-going career ... Neil onstage with my favorite band for "Cortez" ... I get the shivers just thinking about it!

me too
    Revolver wrote:
    Well, find me another 60 year old that can rock as hard as he does. I doubt you can.

I didn't say he doesn't rock and that he isn't a brilliant song writer. His voice just sounds like crap and I can't listen to it more than about 10 minutes before it starts getting on my nerves.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    I didn't say he doesn't rock and that he isn't a brilliant song writer. His voice just sounds like crap and I can't listen to it more than about 10 minutes before it starts getting on my nerves.

His voice is fine. You're just a bitch.
  • sennin wrote:
    it's not about the voice....it's the art....the craft....the emotion.....the heart.....you can litterally "feel" his music.

well said sennin.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    neil once said singing off key was his style.

he's one of my favorite singers.
  • .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I'm pretty sympathetic to your argument man. I've tried many times to really, really like the guy. His lyrics and songwriting skills are excellent. But beyond that, voice-wise, he's sort of beyond me...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison