I respect Neil Young but, I cannot....

Explode to No CodeExplode to No Code Posts: 13
edited July 2006 in Other Music
.....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

The man can write, but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

Anyone else feel the same way?
'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
Toledo '96
Cleve '98
Jones Beach III '00
Det '00
Pitt '00
State Coll '03
Cleve '03
Pitt '03
Bos III '03
Tor '05
Chic II '06
Cleve '06
Pitt '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sundogg16sundogg16 Posts: 70
    hell......no
    If you don't run, you rust.

Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Waikiki 04/21/07 & 04/22/06
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

no.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Absolutely not!

• falconfalcon Posts: 163
    No.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    while you are entitled to your opinion, I completely disagree

There are singers out there with very unique voices (Young, Townshend) that write songs that are just perfectly fit for their unusual voices

dig a little deeper into Neil and I think you'll find that you are mistaken
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620

Ed got sick and Neil took over?????? This year??? I haven't heard that.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • DCRONINDCRONIN Posts: 39
    Neil Young is one of the great rock songwriters. Look beyond the voice and tap into the emotion.

Also, a guitar sound all his own. Incredible guitar leads with extreme individuality.
  • not this year.
    dirtyT wrote:
    Ed got sick and Neil took over?????? This year??? I haven't heard that.
  • andydick8andydick8 Posts: 205
    Got mad when Neill took over in San Fran?????

That's like getting mad if your preist gets sick, and God finishes the service!
    Add your benaroya vinyl # to the list!!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=104018
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    i love neils voice and his slower songs
    not this year.
    Oh, ok thanks for clarifying.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    andydick8 wrote:

hahaha, nice
  • andydick8 wrote:

06/24/95 - Golden Gate Park: Polo Fields: San Francisco, CA [140m]
    attendance: 53,440
    support act: Crash and Brittany and Bad Religion
    set: Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Go, Animal, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Not for You
    "NeilJam" set: Big Green Country, Act of Love, Throw Your Hatred Down, Powderfinger, Truth Be Known, Rockin' in the Free World, The Needle and the Damage Done, Hey Hey My My, I'm the Ocean, Down By the River, Downtown, Cortez the Killer
    enc: Peace and Love, Rockin' in the Free World
    notes: Ed leaves the stage ill after seven songs. Neil takes the stage and the audience gets an impressive Mirrorball premier. The crowd behaves poorly.
    'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

NO!!!
    Never knew that. What kind of Pearl Jam am I???
    Oh and by the way

NO!@!!!!!!!
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    without neil young, no pearl jam.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • andydick8andydick8 Posts: 205
    06/24/95 - Golden Gate Park: Polo Fields: San Francisco, CA [140m]
    set: Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Go, Animal, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Not for You
    "NeilJam" set: Big Green Country, Act of Love, Throw Your Hatred Down, Powderfinger, Truth Be Known, Rockin' in the Free World, The Needle and the Damage Done, Hey Hey My My, I'm the Ocean, Down By the River, Downtown, Cortez the Killer
    notes: Ed leaves the stage ill after seven songs. Neil takes the stage and the audience gets an impressive Mirrorball premier. The crowd behaves poorly.

"The crowd behaves poorly" hahaha
    Add your benaroya vinyl # to the list!!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=104018
  • sundogg16sundogg16 Posts: 70
    the influence neil young has on eddie vedders approach to vocals in a song is soooooo obvious that its.....it's...just so obvious!
    If you don't run, you rust.

Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Waikiki 04/21/07 & 04/22/06
  • .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I feel exactly the same way. Its not our fault his voice is soo iritating. To us. I can't stand him either. To each his own. If I was at a PJ show and Eddie left and he took the stage I would cry.
  • gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    andydick8 wrote:

LOL.. well said. Neil is a god!
  • 06/24/95 - Golden Gate Park: Polo Fields: San Francisco, CA [140m]
    The BEST version of "Down by the River" ever.
    McCready plays some real lead for Neil...melts my brain every time.
    20 minutes of an insane jam.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Neil is a god-like genius.

The End
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • If I was at a PJ show and Eddie left and he took the stage I would cry.

tears of joy...

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Does anyone have this boot? sounds fucking awesome.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    andydick8 wrote:
    "The crowd behaves poorly" hahaha

i was there and had a blast. of course i was upset that PJ couldn't finish the set, but that day was epic. 50,000 people on the lawn. i was just playing hacky sack and drinking beers all day listening to neil and mike rip it up! i got the makeup show in SJ anyway.. so it's all good.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242

You need to listen to Weld, the double live album from the 1991 Neil Young & Crazy Horse tour. All will be revealed.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • andydick8 wrote:

I dont look at it that way. Its more like having a party and expecting the Tri-Delts, but the Omega-Moo's show up instead.

Buzz. Kill.

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Does anyone have this boot? sounds fucking awesome.:)
    http://www.f4kin-up.net has it I believe
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • tears of joy...

:D

:) which leads me to..... i like RITFW as much as the next guy but can PJ put it away? They have tons of original material. This should be a raritiy where people go nuts like 2 or 3 times a tour. Not every other night. I feel the same way about Baba too. I LOVE THAT SONG but i think they play it too often now a days. its like "oh baba is on that boot .... woop dee doo"