I respect Neil Young but, I cannot....

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    it's not about the voice....it's the art....the craft....the emotion.....the heart.....you can litterally "feel" his music.
  • sundogg16sundogg16 Posts: 70
    neil young is an old man with a heart of gold who's just rocking in the free world
    If you don't run, you rust.

Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Waikiki 04/21/07 & 04/22/06
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

The man can write, but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree 100%. I really don't understand what the big deal is and never have. His singing reminds me of an old woman, I can't take it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Um, Neil is awesome.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    while you are entitled to your opinion, I completely disagree

There are singers out there with very unique voices (Young, Townshend) that write songs that are just perfectly fit for their unusual voices

dig a little deeper into Neil and I think you'll find that you are mistaken

i agree... i love neil's tone!!! also, pete townshend's, robert smith's, kurt cobain's, paul mccartney, etc....~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    Neil is fantastic... get some new ears. :)
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Watching his concert doc "Heart of Gold" earlier this year on the big screen, I was on the verge of tears for pretty much the entire hour and half. And I'm a dude.

I think his voice his achingly beautiful.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    The BEST version of "Down by the River" ever.
    McCready plays some real lead for Neil...melts my brain every time.
    20 minutes of an insane jam.

if i heard this live, i could die. seriously. i'd have nothing left to live for.

:)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I feel the same about Bob Dylan. Amazing songwriter, but I can't stand his "voice".
    But as for Neil, for my money, listen to Harvest, Harvest Moon and Prairie Wind back to back and you will understand.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    .....see what all the fuss is about? I hate his voice and a lot of his songs are whiney and wimpy.

I love RITFW, Harvest Moon and a few others....but that is when Ed or someone else sings them.

I can see why the San Fran fans were pissed when Eddie got sick and Neil took over.

Oh my god no!!!! His voice is perfect for his music, and the way he plays that guitar ..... wow. I don't ever want Ed to get sick of course, but it's a thrill to see Neil anytime, anywhere. Toledo '04 was one of the highlights of my concert-going career ... Neil onstage with my favorite band for "Cortez" ... I get the shivers just thinking about it!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    http://www.f4kin-up.net has it I believe

No they have the Berlin show from the Mirrorball tour, which I downloaded already:) cracking show.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • He paved the road for others to travel on... His music contains.. raw emotion... strength... & just pure rock & roll...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    hippiemom wrote:
    Oh my god no!!!! His voice is perfect for his music, and the way he plays that guitar ..... wow. I don't ever want Ed to get sick of course, but it's a thrill to see Neil anytime, anywhere. Toledo '04 was one of the highlights of my concert-going career ... Neil onstage with my favorite band for "Cortez" ... I get the shivers just thinking about it!

I was there too, that was awesome :)
  • hahaha, nice

Hey jenny whats up how was the portland show did your son like it
    did you get my poster

befor you comment on heil listen to some more stuf

you sound like the typical radio fan that says pearl jam is still makking music, after betterman i stopped listening they were to pop
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • i love neil and his voice. dont forget, there are some people out there ( my sister ) who feels the same about Ed's voice. she said it just gets to her.

to each his/her own.
    peace, love.
  • how about not crying and just leaving then?

and, uh to answer the original question...

FUCK NO!! NEIL RULES!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

I agree 10000%. I don't like the man's voice. Plain and simple. I respect his contribution to music but I can't get past his voice to get into his music. If I paid to see Pearl Jam and Neil Young sang I would be disappointed. I would not "act poorly" but I would still be disappointed. I know it is the cool thing to be a Pearl Jam fan and love Neil Young but I don't and I don't give a fuck what you think about that.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410

"I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow." Sweet Home Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like most of Neil Young's tunes. He's not so bad. I wonder when he's going to tour the South?????
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• bjf143bjf143 Posts: 147

nope...
    "Actually, we're a complete fraud. We can't sing, play or write songs, we get other people to do it for us. We also pay radio stations lots of money to tell kids to buy our records and wear clothes like us."

~EV

www.myspace.com/nittanylions

Jo's Board
    http:\\jojogvn2fly.proboards86.com
  • pirate jampirate jam Posts: 15
    I can understand the original posters point. I feel the same way with many of Neil's songs. His voice can be very whiney sometimes. There are certain artists I have to be in the mood to listen to and Neil is one of them along with Bob Dylan. Both artists obviously are great song writers, but their voices can be very annoying if you're not in the mood for that kind of singing.
  • qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    Neil Young = God
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • SmithySmithy Posts: 11
    andydick8 wrote:
    Got mad when Neill took over in San Fran?????

That's like getting mad if your preist gets sick, and God finishes the service!

hahahah
  • Hey jenny whats up how was the portland show did your son like it
    did you get my poster

befor you comment on heil listen to some more stuf

you sound like the typical radio fan that says pearl jam is still makking music, after betterman i stopped listening they were to pop

huh?
    'had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse of my innocence... got back my inner sense...'

Chic '95
    Toledo '96
    Cleve '98
    Jones Beach III '00
    Det '00
    Pitt '00
    State Coll '03
    Cleve '03
    Pitt '03
    Bos III '03
    Tor '05
    Chic II '06
    Cleve '06
    Pitt '06
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    tears of joy...

:D
    That is a stretch. I mean, after all, we are there to see Pearl Jam with Eddie, right?
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    cool, and i don't give a fuck what you think about neil.

i don't think people like neil because "it's the cool thing", i think they like neil because, uh, they like neil.
    I like Neil bevause he is fucking great...personally!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    andydick8 wrote:
    Got mad when Neill took over in San Fran?????

That's like getting mad if your preist gets sick, and God finishes the service!

ummmm...this actually happend like 11 years ago.
    www.myspace.com
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    you're gonna hear it for this one.....
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i love neil youngs singin
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • sundogg16sundogg16 Posts: 70
    BamaPJFan wrote:
    "I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow." Sweet Home Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like most of Neil Young's tunes. He's not so bad. I wonder when he's going to tour the South?????

you know that the members of lynyrd skynyrd were huge fans of neil young right?
    If you don't run, you rust.

Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Waikiki 04/21/07 & 04/22/06
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    grace6697 wrote:
    without neil young, no pearl jam.

agreed. I quite like his voice actually. I kind of got into Pearl Jam late, and before I really knew all their music, I was playing No Code and heard Smile, and my first thought was there's Neil-ness in there some way some how...
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008