Best Concert you ever saw (other than Pearl Jam)?

Comments

• frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    1. Radiohead- May 18th, 2008 Dallas Tx
    2. Red Hot Chili Peppers- August 18th, Denver CO
    3. Ben Harper and The Nightwatchman- June 2, 2007 Tulsa
    4. Tom Petty/Pearl Jam- July 3rd, 2006 Denver CO
    5. Drive-By Truckers- Febuary 25th 2008 Omaha NE
    6. Muse- September 2006 Kansas City
    7. John Mayer- June of 2007 Kansas City
    8. Queens of the Stone Age- August of 2007 Tulsa
    9. Alice In Chains- November of 2006 in Wichita,KS
    10. Incubus- Febuary of 2007 Kansas City

I have the Boss and My Morning Jacket coming up so Those will be on top this August
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    rem
    counting crows
    7 worlds collide
    phoenix foundation
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    1.Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band ...Tower Theater 1975 or anyone of his six 3 1/2 to 4 hour marathon shows at the Philly Spectrum in 1984.

2. The Gits at The Off Ramp in Seattle, 1991.

3. The Who with Pink Floyd and The Troggs, 7/24/68. Not bad for 9 years old.

4. Live Aid, 1985.

5. My first Ramones Show , CBGB , 5/4/78.

I'd love to say Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees , Temple Stadium, Philly, August , 1967, but the sound was 1960's shitty. To this day , my aunt tells me that even the pop-sounding Monkees sounded crappy. I believe Jimi played this show and one or two others before leaving the tour. I'd only heard two songs by Jimi Hendrix before. They were "Hey Joe" and "Stone Free" . I'd heard them once, maybe twice ,and not enough to know I was hearing a legend. I went courtesy of my aunt who was 18 and took me to see the then TV icon Monkees as a reward for good grades, second grade mind you , during the school year.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • I just saw PJ preform at Madison Square Garden in NYC ( the second show ), on June 25th..and it changed my life completely.

However, the best concerts I ever attended (not in any order)

- Prince ( 2005)
    - Bruce Springsteen (2003)
    - Billy Joel
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    NIN - Toronto 06
    Tiger Army/Street Dogs - Philly 07
    The Cure - Download - 06
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Blind3 wrote:
    1.Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band ...Tower Theater 1975 or anyone of his six 3 1/2 to 4 hour marathon shows at the Philly Spectrum in 1984.

4. Live Aid, 1985.

I'd love to say Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees , Temple Stadium, Philly, August , 1967, but the sound was 1960's shitty. To this day , my aunt tells me that even the pop-sounding Monkees sounded crappy. I believe Jimi played this show and one or two others before leaving the tour. I'd only heard two songs by Jimi Hendrix before. They were "Hey Joe" and "Stone Free" . I'd heard them once, maybe twice ,and not enough to know I was hearing a legend. I went courtesy of my aunt who was 18 and took me to see the then TV icon Monkees as a reward for good grades, second grade mind you , during the school year.
    Very cool. I'm 4 years older than you and wish I'd had a chance to see some of those. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

any year,
    any show,
    any tour .

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at the Hollywood Bowl on the 25th of June, 2008.

Incredible.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    The Cure Msg 08 and it was the best concert of the 100+ ive ever been to.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

any year,
    any show,
    any tour .

:)

see I disagree Ive seen boots from the 80s and 70s that are evidence of what A bruce live experience has as a reputation, but ive seen him twice now and Im going again on 7/28 and I think his modern shows are snoozers
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    stranger34 wrote:
    see I disagree Ive seen boots from the 80s and 70s that are evidence of what A bruce live experience has as a reputation, but ive seen him twice now and Im going again on 7/28 and I think his modern shows are snoozers

Wait, if you've seen him twice nowadays and they're snoozers, why keep going? (Is this a joke?)
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    stranger34 wrote:

boots ?

ive been to over 100 + shows- live in person, since the 70s / 80s,... i dont make judgements on boots- i makem on live shows- what this thread is all about .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Radiohead, U2, Kings Of Leon, Flamming Lips, Wilco, The Raconteurs, Eric Clapton, Audioslave, Phish, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Pink Floyd 1987
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • JasonAZJasonAZ Posts: 11
    Might as well add my opinion here. It would hard for me to list them in order because they change on my mood or my current musical phase. Just an FYI, I'm 31. The list usually consists of the following:

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell tour (1994) -- My first rock concert. It's hard to top the stage, songs, surround sound, pigs, and a crowd of 65,000.

Page & Plant 1998 --Went with my dad again on this one. It was a birthday present for him. He had seen LedZep back in 1972 for $10. We were about 15 rows right in front of Jimmy Page. I had seen them on their Unledded tour but this was balls to the wall rock. 'How Many More Times' and 'Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You'....enough said.

Peter Gabriel -- Growing Up tour (2002) -- Only about 6,000 in a basketball arena, and I had moved closer to the center near the floor. Perfect blend of songs, sound and theater. He made you think that everything was OK for that one night.

U2 Hawaii 2006 -- I had seen them 4 times before, but this one is the best because of the journey to make it to Honolulu. Perfect way to cap off a week in paradise. I met some of the nicest people (from Mexico, other parts of the US, Europe, local Hawaiians and South Africa) throughout the week who were there for U2 and Pearl Jam. A fair amount of people were impressed how awesome Pearl Jam was, and how nice Eddie Vedder is.

Rush 2008 -- My first concert since beating cancer. I had heard great things about a live Rush show, so I made the drive and bought a front row seat from a scalper. They did not disappoint. Three hours of loud classic rock.

Underworld at 2003 Coachella Music Festival -- Dance / techno music probably isn't high on the list of many people here, but Underworld are without a doubt the masters of a live techno show. And it is 100% live, nothing pre-recordered. 5,000 people packed into the dance tent, one nation under a groove, from the beginning hi-hat of 'Rez' to the ending aural crack of 'Moaner'.

Jason
  • INXS- yes I'm serious (back in the day)

Rage against the Machine
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine"
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    lush and cheap trick
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    Violent Femmes. It was in a fairly small place and the audience knew every word. It was very cool.

Also, CSNY...the lights came on and nobody moved...forcing another encore.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Blind3 wrote:

4. Live Aid, 1985.

Thats amazing! I really loved their band.. (The gits)
    Very cool show to have under your belt! Bloody hell, im jelous of all of the above :D
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Tool in Fort Worth TX last year...unbelievable
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Crowded House farewell, Sydney Opera House steps, 1996

Not even my PJ favourites have anything on that one.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    JasonAZ wrote:

Underworld at 2003 Coachella Music Festival -- Dance / techno music probably isn't high on the list of many people here, but Underworld are without a doubt the masters of a live techno show. And it is 100% live, nothing pre-recordered. 5,000 people packed into the dance tent, one nation under a groove, from the beginning hi-hat of 'Rez' to the ending aural crack of 'Moaner'.

I like dance/techno stuff - how could I have left off Daft Punk Lolla 07 show? That was fabulous. I didn't stand still for a second.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • off the top of my head....

Rage Against the Machine next to last show Grand Olympic Los Angeles

Stevie Ray and double trouble celebrity theatre phoenix 1989

peter gabriel so tour 1994 oakland arena

Live throwing copper tour 1995 irvine meadows (8th row)

Genesis mama tour 1982

Van Halen 1984 veterens memorial coliseum
  • I dunno, that My Morning Jacket show from Bonnaroo 2008 may have surpassed anything that I've seen, other than Pearl Jam. I've seen legends in Robert Plant and Bob Dylan, but this set was absolutely epic from MMJ. And the atmosphere in the pouring rain only added to it.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Black Crowes in a small venue. :)
    Brian
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Radiohead 2000 - the tent tour in europe
    Metallica 1992 - introducing the snakepit, and playing 3 hours
    Kashmir 2005 - Vega Copenhagen (The Aftermath DVD) - I was there))
    Smashing Pumpkins 2000 - before the release of Machina (great venue in Copenhagen)
    Neil Young 1993 - Roskilde festival

and loats more when I think about it.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Paul Weller, twice -- with the Style Council in Berlin, 1985, and in... I think it was 1993. He is the best live act I have seen (besides PJ).

Violent Femmes also put on a great show; who knew three guys could make that much noise?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    Smashing Pumpkins Oct 13th Boston 2007. It was my 20th B-day and Billy and company put on the best show I have ever seen. I couldnt believe people were walking out after he played 1979 solo acoustic. They just wanted to see the MTV side it was so disrespectful to what the Pumpkins have done but thats not the point, they were great. Honorable mention to NIN amherst in 2006. Trent had to postpone the date cause he get sick or something so when they played the rescheduled date he was just so pissed and it was a great show.
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Tool-SC 07
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Offspring - the night Barry Sanders retired :(
    Foo Fighters (opening for RHCP)
    Korn/Rob Zombie
    Ozzy, System of Down, Rob Zombie @ Ozzfest
    Sleater Kinney
    My Morning Jacket
    Silverchair
    Breaking Benjamin - before they were signed to a record deal
    A Perfect Circle
    Tool
    Brother Cain
    Tom Petty
    Our Lady Peace
    Incubus
    Bush
    Toadies
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16