Best Concert you ever saw (other than Pearl Jam)?

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Radiohead St Louis May 08 (best I've ever seen)
    Neil Young Bloomington IL 1992
    U2 Red Rocks 1984
    MMJ Bonnaroo 2008
    Sigur Ros Bonnaroo 2008
    the Minions
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Tibetan Freedom Concert - Golden Gate Park 96' I believe. Almost every single band I was in love with at the time was there.

QOTSA secret club tour 02' with the Ultimate Queens lineup (Josh, Nick, Mark, Troy, & Dave)

Loud as fuck. Noveselic mingling in the crowd, Lanegan chain smoking 2 cigarettes at once in the bathroom. The last show w/ one of my best friends(R.I.P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWBh2RnFHw
    NERDS!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    U2 Zoo TV tour, Philly PA (1992 @ Vet's Stadium). Absolutely blew me away...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"there is a W!A!R! coming!!!!!!"
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    probably Incubus in 2002 with Phantom Planet opening

Incubus had good energy, sounded great, and really had a good connection with the audience. All in all a very good show.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Pixies, Ani DiFranco, Kings of Leon
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    The Who Gorge 2002
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Radiohead at The Hammerstein Ballroom 12/97

honorable mention to The Raconteurs at 'roo
    if there had been a roof, they would have blown it off
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • born2runqtborn2runqt Posts: 109
    Tough to pick just one because you know it's Bruce. I have to go with

New Year's Eve - 1980 - Nassau Coliseum
    ...tramps like us...

I miss you Daddy.....10/12/07
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Radiohead at The Hammerstein Ballroom 12/97

I think I saw part of that show on MTV's Live At the 10 Spot - were there cameras there?

I taped the first 4 songs from that show, I wish I'd have taped the whole thing. It looked awesome.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    zircona1 wrote:
    I think I saw part of that show on MTV's Live At the 10 Spot - were there cameras there?

I taped the first 4 songs from that show, I wish I'd have taped the whole thing. It looked awesome.

yep thats exactly right, we were crammed like sardines in there but it was great!
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    The Eagles
    Clapton
    Bob Seger
    Foo Fighters
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    barenaked ladies in Columbus , Ohio - it was just pure fun. I laughed and then I laughed some more.
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Tibetan Freedom Concert - Golden Gate Park 96' I believe. Almost every single band I was in love with at the time was there.

QOTSA secret club tour 02' with the Ultimate Queens lineup (Josh, Nick, Mark, Troy, & Dave)

Loud as fuck. Noveselic mingling in the crowd, Lanegan chain smoking 2 cigarettes at once in the bathroom. The last show w/ one of my best friends(R.I.P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWBh2RnFHw

That song never fails to kick my ass. :D I'd kill to see that line-up of QOTSA live.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    The Omnipotent Grateful Dead- Alpine 7/17/89. 21 years old, two weeks off to tour and this was a peak musical experience. To this day all I can say is WOW!

I was at Alpine Valley for those two shows in 89...last shows there for the GD

my best live show EVER(sorry PJ) was Phish at Big Cypress Seminole Reservation
    New Years Eve 1999

first set from 10pm till 11:30pm

second set from midnight till SUNRISE!!

best show ever!
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    born2runqt wrote:
    Tough to pick just one because you know it's Bruce. I have to go with

New Year's Eve - 1980 - Nassau Coliseum

Saw him twice on the River tour - that was a great tour! (Darkness was probably my favorite)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    That song never fails to kick my ass. :D I'd kill to see that line-up of QOTSA live.

I saw them, and the ironic thing is that the venue was half empty. The even more ironic thing is...since then I've noot been able to get a ticket for any of their tours....I blame Dave G :( for making them too popular.

sorry, thread integrity an all.....best concert. Hmmmmm, Pearl Jam Madrid 07 was excellent, as was Soundgarden Bristol 92 as was PJ Cardiff 2000, as was Audioslave Cardiff 06, as was AC/DC Donington 91, as was Metallica Wembley arena 91.....this is a ridiculous question, I could be here all night.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I saw them, and the ironic thing is that the venue was half empty. The even more ironic thing is...since then I've noot been able to get a ticket for any of their tours....I blame Dave G :( for making them too popular.

I couldn't give two shits about Dave Grohl - it's all about seeing Mark Lanegan for me. :D Nothing beats that voice.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I couldn't give two shits about Dave Grohl - it's all about seeing Mark Lanegan for me. :D Nothing beats that voice.

Me either, I meant that Dave played on the album following the tour I saw and loads of people went...."ooooh, ooooh, Dave Grohl is crazily being a drummer in his new band, let's go see em"...and I never got a ticket, or this last tour :( Mark was good, he only sang a handful of songs the night I saw them, which was the Rated R tour, it was a warm up show for a festival slot they had with ac/dc at Milton Keynes Bowl.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    The best I ever saw besides PJ was My Morning Jacket in MSG on New Years.

Thats what I hope to be writing come 2009 lol.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Hmm...

Sleater-Kinney every time. Wish they still played together. :(

Ani Difranco, Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, maybe 1999? 2000? This was my favorite but she's always pretty incredible.

Radiohead, Grant Park in Chicago, I cried like a little ninny, it was so good.

U2, United Center, Chicago, like a month after 9-11, again with the waterworks....

Phish at the Gorge, 1999. I miss them too.

And now I have MSG I, first PJ ever, to add to the list! Plus all the times I saw some awesome person at an open mic or in a little bar and their name has since escaped me but I was loving it at the time...
  • dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    Saw Wilco at Radio City Music Hall a couple of years ago; that one was pretty great. Also, dozens of shows by the fantastic DC band, The Make-Up. If you haven't heard them, you've gotta check it out.

Oh, and I saw David Byrne by himself in a church in Brooklyn a few years back. That one was beautiful.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    My favs-
    -Tibet Fest in Randalls Island, nothing could beat this 2 day fest
    -Radiohead Liberty State Park, 3 wks before 9/11 incredible to see this amazing band with the skyline to the left and lady liberty visible in the distance betw the screen and the ground
    -Radiohead in Nimes, France
    -Chris Cornell solo at Town Hall, Irving Plaza and half naked at the very HOT Starland Ballroom
    -PJ Harvey at the Hamerstein Ballroom
    -Bjork at Radio City (tour with the Islandic Choir, not the most recent when she played WAY too short a set)
    -Soundgarden at Roseland
    -Cat Power Hiro Ballroom and Town Hall
    -Beck Roseland
    -Area 51 with Bowie and Moby
    -Horde w/ Neil and Beck
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
    NYCPJ wrote:

Neil Young/Sonic Youth/Social Distortion - early 90s (92?) Atlanta Omni

Same tour, I think. With Crazy Horse. LOUD AS FUCK!!! :D Cortez the Killer, Like a Hurricane, etc. The same tour that was recorded as Weld. Only Pearl Jam has ever equalled that show, for me.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Bjork..last december..although the venue wasn't the best one (because of acoustic resonance), she pulled the show with her magnificent performance
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    imalive wrote:
    Same tour, I think. With Crazy Horse. LOUD AS FUCK!!! :D Cortez the Killer, Like a Hurricane, etc. The same tour that was recorded as Weld. Only Pearl Jam has ever equalled that show, for me.

That was the one! (tour where they recorded Weld).
    Great show - definitely with Crazy Horse. I also saw Neil & Crazy Horse in 86 -- that was sick as well (memorable for a long version of Down by the River!)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ok, I just saw Back Door Slam again, and holy shit. That show's gotta be up there.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
    NYCPJ wrote:
    That was the one! (tour where they recorded Weld).
    Great show - definitely with Crazy Horse. I also saw Neil & Crazy Horse in 86 -- that was sick as well (memorable for a long version of Down by the River!)
    Sure wish they would put Weld out on DVD. I still have the VHS tape. :p
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    So many great ones ... I remember these shows uniquely in that a standout musician cut directly into my soul:

Clapton 83, 94
    SRV 89
    Johnny Winter 92
    Buddy Guy 95
    Patricia Barber 02

Fascinating / mesmerizing band performances:

U-2 83
    Grateful Dead 82 - 84
    Crazy Horse 86
    Black Crowes 93, 08
    Traffic 94
    Hot Tuna 99

Mega-shows: Pink Floyd in 94 and Rolling Stones in 89

In the classical realm I've also been really fortunate to see Andres Segovia, Julian Bream, and Isaac Stern in solo performances.

Not much can really touch PJ at Mansfield last weekend though :)
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'd have to say if it came right down to it, the who and/or the stones,,
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~