Most disappointing follow up album...

Comments

• PJammasPJammas Posts: 11
    Head Automatica- Popaganda

Like the title suggests it is cookie-cutter, pop-rock crap. The first album was something completely awesome and so unlike anything I was used to listening to.
    I lick-a my lips
    and I grab on your hips...
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    No-FX - Heavy Petting Zoo

After making Punk in Drublic... It had to be a let down.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    btb002 wrote:
    Pavement's Terror Twilight

To me, they never did wrong. I loved every record they put out, but if I had to pick a weakest link it would be Brighten The Corners
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    blink-182 -enema of the state

this was pure sell out pop-punk at its finest. the only song i like on there is adams song. i never listen to this cd at all
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    No U2 album has ever let me down. POP came close, tho...

New Order's Republic was wrong...

The Used "In Love and Death", After coming out with the self titled CD that changed my view on music from mainstream to underground type bands and a whole new scene they produce utter garbage. Every song is made for the radio and anything that has an attempt at agression is poorly written and juvenile...

AFI "decemberunderground": Talk about selling out. Making a bunch of video's for your songs and writing nice little radio hits. They have been trying to be mainstream for about 5 years though. Too bad because "Sing the Sorrow" was a nice little emo-goth effort...

One By one -Foo Fighters...

"Sandinista" by The Clash was a letdown after "London Calling". About a 1/3 of it was great but the rest was pretty lame...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Brez wrote:
    No-FX - Heavy Petting Zoo

After making Punk in Drublic... It had to be a let down.

that cover alone is worth the price of admission
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • KOL's Because of the Times is fucking awesome dude not a letdown in my book

I honestly don't understand the love for this album. It's uninspired, unfocused, and not even remotely interesting. Aha Shake is by far the superior album.
    the needle & the damage done
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Interesting topic...I love Room On Fire, better than Is This It I think. Also love Kid A. V from Live was my biggest disappointment. The beginning of the end for them, and my fandom as well.

But is there a bigger disappointment than when one of your favorite bands puts out a shitty album? It just makes you sick to your stomach. You generally wait a year to 3 years (sometimes more) for it, and when you finally stop being in denial and say to yourself, 'wow this is not good', its an awful feeling. Sometimes it makes their previous work seem shittier too, and makes you turn to another one of your favorites (usually PJ or wilco for me) and just embrace them even more.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    alpitt wrote:
    Interesting topic...I love Room On Fire, better than Is This It I think. Also love Kid A. V from Live was my biggest disappointment. The beginning of the end for them, and my fandom as well.

But is there a bigger disappointment than when one of your favorite bands puts out a shitty album? It just makes you sick to your stomach. You generally wait a year to 3 years (sometimes more) for it, and when you finally stop being in denial and say to yourself, 'wow this is not good', its an awful feeling. Sometimes it makes their previous work seem shittier too, and makes you turn to another one of your favorites (usually PJ or wilco for me) and just embrace them even more.

I agree with your thoughts completly, I also apply that to seeing a favorite band of your live and they totally blow or come off as something you did not expect....making you pretty much resent their past efforts.....I do acknowledge that some bands have off nights but in some cases a lot of bands really suck live....
  • dirtyshoesdirtyshoes Posts: 27
    sunny day real estate's "how it feels to be something on" was a huge let down for me. how could the same band that made something as amazing as Diary make something as crappy as this?
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    I thought the 1st Bush album was very good, but the follow up was pretty lame.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • peepspeeps Posts: 79
    I honestly don't understand the love for this album. It's uninspired, unfocused, and not even remotely interesting. Aha Shake is by far the superior album.

fuck me hard, i love you.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Pink Floyd's The Wall was a huge disappointment to me after the brilliant Animals. The Wall was a bloated album filled with near showtunes that emphasized the lyrics to the detriment of the music. Even worse was that even the good music didn't really sound like Floyd. I still can only listen to a couple of the tunes.

I feel Presence(1976) was a way more inferior album to Physical Grafitti(1975). Both by The Hammer of the Gods Led Zeppelin. Although I wasn't alive in the '70s & didn't actually hear them when they first came out. I did hear them In chronological order, not based on anyone elses perspective, but my own when the albums were reissued on CD. Presence is a total disapointment to the double album Physical Grafitti and Houses of the Holy & the point where the band started to slip.

Tool's 10,000 Days was a MAJOR LETDOWN after Lateralus...

REM's last good album was Monster but before that they made some exceptional ones...

To the Faithful Departed by The Cranberries, has some catchy tunes but it´s not comparable to no need to argue...
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Smashing Pumpkins - Machina. The songs on this CD just sound flat and even and unintersting to me. I really wish they would just "Try, Try, Try" harder. Zeitgeist sounds more promising so far.

Pearl Jam - Binaural. I've tried listening to this many many times, and with the exception of a couple of songs, I just don't get the appeal of this album. The best songs are only average, and the rest are just depressing. And "Evacuation" I simply hate. Luckily, my faith in Pearl Jam was fully restored when they released Riot Act.

Guns N' Roses. If the leaked songs floating around are any indication of the new album, then I'd say Chinese Democracy as well. I really really hope that these tracks are either B-sides or are early demos that will be majorly reworked. "Better" is the only really good song I've heard, although I suppose my inclusion of Chinese Democracy is a bit premature. Maybe instead of Axl releasing an actual album, the demos will just keep evolving and we'll get new leaked versions every year forever.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    gleemonex wrote:
    By The Way was a poor follow up to Californication, which I like a lot
    I disagree, By The Way is a stronger album than Californication, Imean sure, Californication ahd some great singles, but as a whole it is one of the chili's weaker albums.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    biggest letdown records:

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - BY THE WAY + STADIUM ARCADIUM: I can't stand these sellout mainstream records...this ain't the chili they used to be!!! For me the biggest letdown records EVER! I don't really stop listenning to old favs but that happened to me about RHCP!!!

METALLICA - Reload + St. Anger - Load was a tough one but still very good...but Re-Load and St. Anger suck big balls!!!

All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 : after Pop it was a safe sellout as well

Blur - Think Tank: this was a huge disappointment

Faith No More - Album of the year: actually it's their ONLY TERRIBLE record!!!

R.E.M. - Reveal + Around The Sun: good but not great, mostly monotone

Foo Fighters - One By One + In Your Honour: simply cannot get into them

Killers: Sam's Town - I really loved Hot Fuss but this second one ain't half as good as that one!!! I don't really like it...

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina: I never listen to that!

Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants - their worst record but the latest ones are far better ones fortunately!!!

Placebo - Meds: their only weak record + they become a weak performers as well...unfortunately

Cranberries - Wake Up and Smell The Coffee: this is something I wouldn't call a Cranberries record!!!

Suede - Head Music: their first three albums were brilliant but from that moment on they began composing dull and forgettable music...:(
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Binaural wrote:
    I disagree, By The Way is a stronger album than Californication, Imean sure, Californication ahd some great singles, but as a whole it is one of the chili's weaker albums.

By the way is a really consistant album, a great pop record for sure.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    The White Stripes~Get Behind Me Satan....game over I win
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Eminem-The Eminem Show

Really? That one might be my favorite. I love "Square Dance" so much
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • the killers - sams town

maroon 5 - it won't be soon before long(huge letdown)

phantom planet - EVERYTHING after the guest. that album was so good top to bottom and everything else is horrible.

rooney - just the simple fact that their first album came out in 2003 and their follow up has yet to come out.

ben folds - rockin the suburbs, following all of the amazing ben folds five stuff.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Get Behind Me Satan was the most disappointing for me. I know Jack was going in a different direction but I was so pumped when it came out. I may have listened to it 6 times since then and never feel that much. I loved the first 4 albums they made and I really hope that Icky Thump is a return to form. BTW, I prefer Kings of Leon's "Youth and Young Manhood" over "Aha Shake Heartbreak" or "Because of the Times". Call me crazy...then listen to Trani.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    PJ Habit wrote:
    The White Stripes~Get Behind Me Satan....game over I win

Actually, Elephant wasn't even their best album. De Stijl, much?
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    The Tea Party's "Interzone Mantras" spelled the end for them. "Seven Circle" wasn't bad, but neither of these albums compared with "Spledor Solis", "Edges of Twilight," "Transmission" & "Tryptych"
    adam42381 wrote:
    Get Behind Me Satan was the most disappointing for me. I know Jack was going in a different direction but I was so pumped when it came out. I may have listened to it 6 times since then and never feel that much. I loved the first 4 albums they made and I really hope that Icky Thump is a return to form. BTW, I prefer Kings of Leon's "Youth and Young Manhood" over "Aha Shake Heartbreak" or "Because of the Times". Call me crazy...then listen to Trani.
    100% with ya
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Actually, Elephant wasn't even their best album. De Stijl, much?
    all the time
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Actually, the Stripes S/T was pretty nice too, IT had stop breaking down and slicker drips. I dunno.
    Yeah, but Ball & Biscuit makes Elaphant my fav. & is why Satan was such a let down
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    PJ Habit wrote:
    Yeah, but Ball & Biscuit makes Elaphant my fav. & is why Satan was such a let down

But De Stijl is a lofty height to reach. And then we get White blood cells. What? Ouch.
    Hey Alex
    I just read your quote in metsfans sig & cant stop laughing~very nice, i hope you found it lol
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Beck- Sea Change
    Phish- Round Room
    Tool- Lateralus
    Blind Melon- Soup
    The Game- Doctor's Advocate
    Snoop Dogg- Tha Doggfather
    Lenny Kravitz- Lenny
    Korn- Life is Peachy
    Pantera- Reinventing the Steel
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    Trailer wrote:
    Beck- Sea Change
    Phish- Round Room
    Tool- Lateralus
    Blind Melon- Soup
    The Game- Doctor's Advocate
    Snoop Dogg- Tha Doggfather
    Lenny Kravitz- Lenny
    Korn- Life is Peachy
    Pantera- Reinventing the Steel

Blind Melon's "Soup"? Blasphemy!!!