Most disappointing follow up album...

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Sometimes a band follows a really great album or vice versa, wich albums do you consider a big follow up letdown...

Sam's Town-the killers, Please,no arguments as to how much better than Hot Fuss it was. I like SAM'S TOWN. but not in comparison to HOT FUSS...

The Future Embrace- billy corgan - what a crap, Zwan's "Mary Star of the Sea" was a good album...

Room On Fire - After the Strokes released "Is This It" I was sure they were the next BIG thing. I was wrong...

Weezer (Green) - After 2 spectacular albums and a 5 year hiatus, I couldn't imagine expectations being any higher... a recipe for a major let down.

Oasis's BE HERE NOW was a stinker, especially following up the majestic MORNING GLORY.

and the biggest letdown is ´´KID A´´by radiohead, after this band released one of the most important album ever they came with this crap...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I strongly agree with billy corgans solo album.. it was rubbish... I can't get into Kid A but this doesnt mean its a bad album I just dont understand it. I don't like Oasis anyway so its all rubbish to me even Morning Glory.

I think Audioslave had a decent first record on their hands even though I was never a big fan but now they have released to of the most dissappointing albums of any major big or important band of the last 20 years especially seeing the talent in that band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Lullabies to Paralyze by Queens of the Stone Age has a few good songs but for the most part it is a disappointing follow up to Songs For The Deaf.

I think Kid A and Weezer's Green Album were big disappointments as well.

By The Way was a poor follow up to Californication, which I like a lot.

The Tragically Hip's Trouble at the Henhouse is a disappointing follow up to Day For Night.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Lullabies to Paralyze - QOTSA
    Feedback - Jurassic 5
    The Massacre - 50 cent
    Circus - Lenny Kravitz
    The New Danger - Mos Def
    So Much For the Afterglow - Everclear
    NERDS!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I love Lullabies but I have to agree it aint quite in the same league as SFTD.
    Riot Act was a bit of a let down after Binaural.
    Load
    Adore
    One Hot Minute

I love most of these albums but compared to the album that came before them they are fairly lacking.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    van halen 2.......boston - don't look back
  • larslars Posts: 524
    the new muse album is a letdown
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    tonadax wrote:
    and the biggest letdown is ´´KID A´´by radiohead, after this band released one of the most important album ever they came with this crap...
    Kid A is one of my favourite albums of all time. You may not hold in such high esteem but it sure ain't crap.
    Try listening to bootlegs from the shows since its release. Kid A and Amnesiac songs are fantastic in a live setting. Combined on setlists with those of the other albums including OK Computer, you'll see they all complement each other very nicely. This is the beauty of Radiohead's varied catalog, not too unlike Pearl Jam's.

lars wrote:
    Personally I love Black Holes & Revelations. I find it easier listening than the others. Again hearing some of the songs live, especially Knights of Cydonia, was a factor.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    lars wrote:

I could not agree more

but man spot on here. I like a few songs off of Black Holes, but it is just not very good at all compared to Absolution.

another is Hawks & Doves which was a follow up to rust never sleeps by neil young
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Anything by Coldplay after Parachutes.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Lullabies to Paralyze - QOTSA
    Feedback - Jurassic 5
    The Massacre - 50 cent
    Circus - Lenny Kravitz
    The New Danger - Mos Def
    So Much For the Afterglow - Everclear

Disagree with So Much For The Afterglow,that's a great album.
    But i go with
    Load
    Lullabies to Paralyze
    By The Way
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder
    Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i was dissappointed by Neon Bible - Arcade Fire .... not that its bad but i had high expectations and it wasnt anywhere as good as Funeral.

i thought this thread was gonna be more about poor SECOND albums... thats what i though "follow up" meant?

Second Coming - The Stone Roses just sprang to mind as well!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Kid A was a major letdown alright.

room on fire wasn't near as solid as IS this it.

Stadium arcadium is near as good as By the way
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Binaural by a landslide
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Binaural by a landslide

It's a great album...but YIELD is a tough act to follow.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Sam's Town is total crap
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Sam's Town is total crap

So was Hot Fuss.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Carry On :(
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • evil empire couldnt have been a shitter follow up to rages debut
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • Wow opinions sure do vary. I love Kid A, One Hot Minute and Evil Empire, all of which being my favourite albums by each artist in question (apart from the Chilis, that accolade goes to BSSM). Incubus and Muse with Light Grenades and Black Holes & Revelations (and Absolution actually) respectively get my vote.
    Wow opinions sure do vary. I love Kid A, One Hot Minute and Evil Empire, all of which being my favourite albums by each artist in question (apart from the Chilis, that accolade goes to BSSM). Incubus and Muse with Light Grenades and Black Holes & Revelations (and Absolution actually) respectively get my vote.

I absolutely love OHM, but really was always gonna be a let down after BSSM.:)
  • SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
    THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT AND WORST LET DOWN EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC

Gomez - How we operate

you hear the lead track as a single and think "wow this is going to be like in our gun" and you listen to the rest and its fuckin sell out new age british rock TRASH.

What a huge fuckin let down
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    REM's last album, Leaving New York is such a great song, the rest of the album was an absolute snore-fest.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Bloc party's 2nd album was very dissapointing for me. Silent Alarm is honestly one of my all time favourites, was so fresh and exciting, but aside from a couple of songs the newest one is quite poor.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Stabbing Westward - Self Titled

After how AMAZING Darkest Days is, i rushed out to buy this CD.. bought it.. gave it a listen in the car.. tossed it out as i got home..
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl -- I just couldn't get into it, Take Them On, On Your Own was great.. Baby 81 is what Howl should've been...

The Clash - Cut The Crap -- honestly though, I think we had to see this coming, the name even fills you in on what to expect..
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    REM's last album, Leaving New York is such a great song, the rest of the album was an absolute snore-fest.
    That's one of the most boring on the album IMO. And seeing as it was a follow up to Reveal...it's definitely the better album of the two for me.
    It's a great album...but Yield is a tough act to follow.

PBM

Not especially. PJ's worst album for me, and was followed by their best. In my opinion.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    tonadax wrote:
    Sometimes a band follows a really great album or vice versa, wich albums do you consider a big follow up letdown...

Sam's Town-the killers, Please,no arguments as to how much better than Hot Fuss it was. I like SAM'S TOWN. but not in comparison to HOT FUSS...

The Future Embrace- billy corgan - what a crap, Zwan's "Mary Star of the Sea" was a good album...

Room On Fire - After the Strokes released "Is This It" I was sure they were the next BIG thing. I was wrong...

Weezer (Green) - After 2 spectacular albums and a 5 year hiatus, I couldn't imagine expectations being any higher... a recipe for a major let down.

Oasis's BE HERE NOW was a stinker, especially following up the majestic MORNING GLORY.

i understand the killers one as well as weezer, and i never listened to zwan or corgan solo, but i have to disagree really strongly with your last two statements. be here now is my favorite oasis album... i mean sometimes the songs go on a little too long, but the songs themselves are my favorite oasis songs. i love everything on that record. and kid a is probably in my top 5 albums ever. it's miles above ok computer and anything else they've done. i never got the tremendous love for ok computer. it's a really good album, but compared to kid a, it just seems a little boring (especially at the end). they'll have a hard time ever topping that one, IMO.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    brain of c wrote:
    van halen 2.......boston - don't look back

Agreed 100%

I'll add:

GNR - Spaghetti Incident
    Metallica - Black
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    audiodave wrote:
    That's one of the most boring on the album IMO. And seeing as it was a follow up to Reveal...it's definitely the better album of the two for me.

It's the only song with any even remotely catchy melody! To each their own I guess, lol!