Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

124»

Comments

• CM1847 wrote:
    This is easily the most excited I have been about an album immediately after it's realese in at at least a year and a half. I don't know if it will keep my interest, but it is pretty amazing thus far
    I've been listening to it non-stop for over a month and I still can't get enough!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I love this album. I can usually chime in with some kind of criticism but this album is the real deal. James Mercer contributing is just icing on the cake. We've Got Everything is the perfect springtime, driving with the windows down kind of song. I haven't read a lot of love for People As Places As People. I think that along with Missed The Boat are the album highlights in an album already filled with highlights.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    culot4 wrote:
    I love this album. I can usually chime in with some kind of criticism but this album is the real deal. James Mercer contributing is just icing on the cake. We've Got Everything is the perfect springtime, driving with the windows down kind of song. I haven't read a lot of love for People As Places As People. I think that along with Missed The Boat are the album highlights in an album already filled with highlights.
    People As Places As People may be my favorite track on the album. All 3 Mercer tracks are excellent, although I like "Florida" & "We've Got Everything" both a bit more than "Missed the Boat." "Little Motel" and "Fly Trapped in a Jar" are the only two tracks I don't really, really like.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    CM1847 wrote:
    People As Places As People may be my favorite track on the album. All 3 Mercer tracks are excellent, although I like "Florida" & "We've Got Everything" both a bit more than "Missed the Boat." "Little Motel" and "Fly Trapped in a Jar" are the only two tracks I don't really, really like.

that is pretty funny i love little motel and fly trapped in a jar :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    "Missed the Boat" is a pretty, pretty, pretty song.

I've been listening to this record all weekend, really enjoying it start to finish.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    So what does everyone think of the new album now that it's officialy been out 2 or 3 weeks?
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Their best album yet.

Just excellent!
  • bharQ wrote:
    A lot of great stuff came out at once... at least was leaked at once... i'd have to say I'm still puttin the new Kings of Leon over Modest Mouse.... but Mouse definitely over Arcade Fire (although a great record)!
    Yeah I got the KOL album a week or two after MM and I haven't put MM back on yet. It was a veryyyyy good record, but KOL blew it away.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Neon Bible by Arcade Fire still my favorite album of the year, but this album is very good. I just got into MM over the past month, but I'm hooked now. The addition of Johnny Marr to the band really shows and shines on this album- he adds a funk to songs like 'Fly Trapped in a Jar' and 'Education' that really works. My favorite song off this one would have to be both 'Education' and 'Parting of the Sensory.'
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I really enjoy this album a lot. Spitting Venom and Parting of the Sensory are still my favs but i like pretty much every song on the album for what it is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    'March into the sea' is fucking sexy.

I also love the new album. It is what currently plays on loop in my car.
    Cock Fight.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    never found brock's lisp to be sexy.... march into the sea is a great way to start the album though lol
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Fly Trapped in a Jar is one fuckin kick ass tune.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    A testament to a good album in my opinion is when your favorite track keeps changing the more you listen to it. I'm on song 4 right now, first it was Fire it Up, then Spitting Venom, then Missed the Boat and now it's on People as Places.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    great grower album for sure.. my favorites are always changing... i would say overall though Parting of the sensory would be the favorite... that song is up there with doin the cockroach as my favorite mm song
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    Great Album!!! i just bought we were dead before the ship sank last night, and i can't get enough. Honestly i bought it because of Marr, but i am totally blown away. the first few songs are ok- but From Florida on, it's on fire.
    My fav song is Fly trapped in a jar... Marr fits in well, unlike someone else said ,i can hear him loud and clear ,in a handful of songs...
    now on the top of list for cd's to buy is Moon and Antarctica-thx
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    spitting venom rules, when the slowed down horn section comes in about halfway through... magic...
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    spitting venom rules, when the slowed down horn section comes in about halfway through... magic...

agreed. thats my favorite track on the album.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    rocks :cool:
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I bought this album earlier this spring when it first came out. This was the first time I heard MM. Now I love them and after getting all of their albums I must say there older stuff is a lot better than GNFPWLBN and We Were Dead.....

Not saying those two albums are not good but I just like their other style better....I don't wanna say less mainstream but you know what I mean.