Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Comments

• "Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon"

Parting of the Sensory is my favorite track on their hands down. I listen to it non-stop. It is wicked good... The only song I think is "meh" is "Fire it Up", that song is tolerable however.

Missed the boat is also one of my favorite on there, and back to back with Parting of the Sensory is kickass.

At about 3:19 into the song (Missed the Boat) is just amazing to me, and I get chills everytime I hear it.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Aren't these guys an EMO band?

Are they really that good?

Now I have not listened to or heard ANY of there music so I can not judge. But after reading some of these posts you have me intrigued.

A friend of mine listens to them and has tried to get me to listened to them. I was like "Nah dude that music is for 13 year olds."
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Danimal wrote:

Now I have not listened to or heard ANY of there music so I can not judge. But after reading some of these posts you have me intrigued.

A friend of mine listens to them and has tried to get me to listened to them. I was like "Nah dude that music is for 13 year olds."

you use terms like EMO band and you end up sounding like the 13 year old... lol.. fuck stupid labels.. its just good music.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    "Someday you will DIE and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon"

Parting of the Sensory is my favorite track on their hands down. I listen to it non-stop. It is wicked good... The only song I think is "meh" is "Fire it Up", that song is tolerable however.

Missed the boat is also one of my favorite on there, and back to back with Parting of the Sensory is kickass.

At about 3:19 into the song (Missed the Boat) is just amazing to me, and I get chills everytime I hear it.

agree completely!.. I love that line from that song.. my favorite song on the album... Fire It Up and Steam Engenius are the only 2 tracks I find average.. the rest are very good
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    you use terms like EMO band and you end up sounding like the 13 year old... lol.. fuck stupid labels.. its just good music.

Well I guess it was better than asking "Are these guys a Homo band?"

Hhahahahaaha.

So they are "that type" of music? So it must stink. Hhahahaha.

Can you compare it to something? Just so I can have an idea.

Thank you!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• larslars Posts: 524
    Modest Mouse is no good
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    Danimal wrote:

Hhahahahaaha.

Thank you!

they are really their own sound especially on the new album.... i guess you could compare their earlier sound and their roots to Built To Spill, Pavement and Kaiser Cheifs.... if you dont know who those bands are.... they are emocore bands from the 90s... before emocore was invented... they were the pioneers of emocore!!!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • yep, what a great album. spitting venom is classic.

this and wilco are my top 2 so far this year.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • i can't get past the lead singer's voice in both modest mouse and bright eyes, therefore I can't fully stomach their music, which is too bad, because with different singers in both, the music would sound a lot better. the modest mouse singer on dashboard sounds like he has been strangled.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    i can't get past the lead singer's voice in both modest mouse and bright eyes, therefore I can't fully stomach their music, which is too bad, because with different singers in both, the music would sound a lot better. the modest mouse singer on dashboard sounds like he has been strangled.

Listen to "Missed the Boat" and "We've Got Everything".... I bet you'll like those.

I used to totally agree the first time I heard Lonesome Crowded West... It was the lyrics that got me first then I eventually got used to the voice now I guess I'm just really used to it 3 albums later
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Danimal wrote:

Hhahahahaaha.

Thank you!

you might have to describe "that type" of music for us. i cant think of anyone who sounds quite like modest mouse to be honest. even though i dont always like them, i have to admit that they have a style all their own. this new album does kick some serious ass though.
    bharQ wrote:
    they are really their own sound especially on the new album.... i guess you could compare their earlier sound and their roots to Built To Spill, Pavement and Kaiser Cheifs.... if you dont know who those bands are.... they are emocore bands from the 90s... before emocore was invented... they were the pioneers of emocore!!!!!

what is emocore? this whole time i thought built to spill was ass-kicking rock and roll, now i find out they're emo? they probly would be the best comparison for modest mouse though.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    i can't get past the lead singer's voice in both modest mouse and bright eyes, therefore I can't fully stomach their music, which is too bad, because with different singers in both, the music would sound a lot better. the modest mouse singer on dashboard sounds like he has been strangled.
    It's part of the whole charm with it. He writes great lyrics, sings passionately with the voice he has, and they write great music. Kurt Cobain didn't exactly have an angel's voice either, you know. ;)

And I'm totally into "Parting of the sensory" about now. Actually I found that I loved the record better by skipping the first 3 tracks. Not that they're awful or anything, but I really like the feel from track 4 and throughout. Right behind Moon and Antarctica this, and that's saying something! :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    what is emocore?

What is emocore you ask? my stupid sarcasm again of course...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    you might have to describe "that type" of music for us. i cant think of anyone who sounds quite like modest mouse to be honest. even though i dont always like them, i have to admit that they have a style all their own. this new album does kick some serious ass though.

I guess "that type' of music would be Panic at the Disco, American rejects? (Is that even a band?) Oh oh !!! And my favorite! 30 Miles to Mars or something!!! With that actor.....uh uh....Jared Leto!!! I want a cookie for that one!

Danimal wrote:
    I guess "that type' of music would be Panic at the Disco, American rejects? (Is that even a band?) Oh oh !!! And my favorite! 30 Miles to Mars or something!!! With that actor.....uh uh....Jared Leto!!! I want a cookie for that one!

im no scientist or anything but If you think those bands suck then there might just be an inkling of a chance that you may like modest mouse?..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Little otel and spitting venom are the strongest tracks on there by a long shot...

stll, pretty great album..

did i see emo, kaiser cheifs, pavement and built to spill in the same sentance just before ?
    Danimal wrote:

ah, modest mouse sounds nothing like any of them. they're kinda the opposite of that.
    Danimal wrote:

Modest Mouse is not emo.
    Here's a piece on what emo is from wikipedia. (Yes I am unsure what emo really means):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

And so are a lot of others. But those bands you mentioned is far far away from Modest Mouse anyway. Why don't you try a few songs and listen for yourself, rather than taking other people's word for it? Modest Mouse IS hard to place really.

And, yes, they really are that good. There are many lame indie/emo bands out there. This ain't one of them. Modest Mouse is perhaps what all the lame bands try to be, but can't manage.

I'd recommend their newest album (discussed here) or perhaps "Good News..." for starters, as they are the most accessible albums, and then move on to Moon and Antarctica which is their best, and definitely in my top-10 ever list, but takes a little while longer to get into. At least for me it did.

Now go forth, and make up your own mind! They are hyped around the indie scene, but goddammit, they are one of those bands who actually deserve their hype.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    Modest Mouse is not emo.
    Here's a piece on what emo is from wikipedia. (Yes I am unsure what emo really means):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

And so are a lot of others. But those bands you mentioned is far far away from Modest Mouse anyway. Why don't you try a few songs and listen for yourself, rather than taking other people's word for it? Modest Mouse IS hard to place really.

And, yes, they really are that good. There are many lame indie/emo bands out there. This ain't one of them. Modest Mouse is perhaps what all the lame bands try to be, but can't manage.

I'd recommend their newest album (discussed here) or perhaps "Good News..." for starters, as they are the most accessible albums, and then move on to Moon and Antarctica which is their best, and definitely in my top-10 ever list, but takes a little while longer to get into. At least for me it did.

Now go forth, and make up your own mind! They are hyped around the indie scene, but goddammit, they are one of those bands who actually deserve their hype.

Peace
    Dan

Thread has been successfully hijacked lol
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    Thread has been successfully hijacked lol
    Yeah, I know. :p But can't resist. Mter for the most part you know...

Let's hear more about the album folks! :D

Peace
    Dan

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    The new record is streaming in its entirety on their myspace today. So far...I like what I'm hearing!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • On the song Florida with about 26 seconds left of the song, it reminds me of a radio head riff (I am not a big radiohead fan, but it reminds me of one of their songs riffs)
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    The new record is streaming in its entirety on their myspace today. So far...I like what I'm hearing!

thank you for the heads up!!!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    thank you for the heads up!!!
    What did we ever do before myspace?? I just love being able to *really* listen to the whole record before buying it.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Looks like Isaac may self-drestruct before the album hits the streets:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41806/Isaac_Brock_SelfMutilates_at_South_Dakota_Gig

Some new tourdates are also below in the article.
    Vancouver and Spokane but no Calgary!? whats the deal :(

I seen em twice in 3 or 4 months here back in I think 2002
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Dashboard is my favorite song in quite some time but I sampled the rest of the album and hated it
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Dashboard is my favorite song in quite some time but I sampled the rest of the album and hated it

Parting of the sensory will change your life!

as will not listening to Oasis :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    Parting of the sensory will change your life!

as will not listening to Oasis :)

parting of the sensory came nowhere near changing my life, but it's still a great album. :) and oasis is awesome!