Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

off_the_recordoff_the_record Posts: 843
edited February 2007 in Other Music
why the hell did the other thread get deleted?

anyway, this is going to be the album of the year. FANTASTIC.
Cheat the odds that made you
Brave to try to gamble at times
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Heard Dashboard. Love it.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,014
    Please see the Posting Guidelines

#10 Please respect an artist's copyright. Linking to or otherwise promoting stolen art is prohibited.
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    This cd is amazing. I love Spiting Venom. I'll definitely be buying this.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • how is the emotional feeling on this new one? Usually Modest Mouse are known for their depression like, or sad lyrics, Moon and Antartica is an example. Is this record happy or sad?
  • Superb album.

I was kind of indifferent to Dashboard when I heard it a few weeks ago.. but now that i've heard the album... Well I'll say that in the context of the album (the mood it sets, the way it flows and feels..) I love it.

Che - Definetly a sad record. Very dark feeling. Almost like "everywhere and his nasty parlor tricks" but with a twist and much better writing.. It's got a very unique feel. Now that Johnny Marr is on board it feels like there has always been something missing in MM,.. he has a great effect on the album/band.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • they are playing like 10 dates or so, check their website for the actual dates, but other than that I dont know about a full tour
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    it's the best album I've heard all year.

stunning. It's got a pretty dark vibe, but what else would you expect from Isaac?

"March Into the Sea" is classic. Love the accordion and the twisted, carnival from hell sound.

I hated "Dashboard" as a single but have to agree, in the context of the record, it really sounds great. "Florida" is another one that grabs you right from the start. Insanely catchy, great lyrics. One of my favorite parts of the record is the end where Isaac sings " I stood on my heart's porch thinkin' oh my god, I'll probably have to carry this whole load....I COULDN'T REMEMBER IF I TRIED!"

"Missed the Boat" and "Little Motel" are both beautiful.

"someday you will die and somehow somethings gonna steal your carbon."
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • march 20th!

agree dashboard sounds good.

tour dates are listed here
    http://www.modestmousemusic.com/
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Sweet. Modest Mouse sold out their Portland shows before I even knew about it. Last year they sold out 5 night in a row Mon-Fri. This year two days and both are already sold out. I'm gonna have to sneak in . . . Dammit!
    NERDS!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    not4u10 wrote:
    Heard Dashboard. Love it.

"Your hair is everywhere.....Screaming Infidelities"
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    "Your hair is everywhere.....Screaming Infidelities"

No...that DashBORED sucks!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love this record more than their last. its awesome !
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    "someday you will die and somehow somethings gonna steal your carbon."
    could be the best line on the album. Isaac's writing is so unique, I love it!

And Spitting Venom will be amazing live. Actually, I have a feeling the whole album will be! :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • what I love about MM is for the last 3 albums the title sets the whole mood of the record.....there are quite a few sea/boat references on the new record...I was weary about the follow-up to "good news...", but Issac did it...they still can make kick ass music. My only complaint would be some of the back up vocals suck, like in "we got everything"...kinda ruin that song a bit.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    SlowFade wrote:
    what I love about MM is for the last 3 albums the title sets the whole mood of the record.....there are quite a few sea/boat references on the new record...I was weary about the follow-up to "good news...", but Issac did it...they still can make kick ass music. My only complaint would be some of the back up vocals suck, like in "we got everything"...kinda ruin that song a bit.

interesting, that seemed like hands down the best song on there... im still not sure what i think about the rest of the album yet.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    StoneG82 wrote:
    it's the best album I've heard all year.

given that that means it tops a whopping 2 months worth of releases, that's impressive! ;)
  • i need to check this out. i didn't even know they had a new album released. :o however, i really loved the last album, and a couple of the older albums...so sounds good. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    given that that means it tops a whopping 2 months worth of releases, that's impressive! ;)

heh I knew someone would call me out on that. I forget that it's only February right now.....probably because half of this year's releases leaked last year.

the shins, explosions in the sky, the new dinosaur jr, etc, etc.

for real though, this modest mouse record is great. I can't see a modest mouse fan NOT liking it. it's damn good.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    I just got the album. I really anticipated this to be a ho hum album. I was wrong. "March Into The Sea", and "Parting Of The Sensory" are fantastic songs. Love this album.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    this cd is kicking my ass! it is stellar !
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I'm really loving Spitting Venom right now. I like the trumpet part. I am definitely buying this one when it comes out.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I'm really loving Spitting Venom right now. I like the trumpet part. I am definitely buying this one when it comes out.

I have been listening to this CD nonstop for weeks and Spitting Venon is my favorite as well.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    I've been walking around campus to this album for the last 3 weeks - it is AMAZING.

Unless Pearl Jam has a surprise release late in the year, this will be hard pressed to be topped in 07 :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yup they've finally come together with all their influences and made a really great record... the marr influence is nice but James Mercer (shins) being on those 3 tracks really highlight the album.. my favourite since Moon & A!

oh yeah and Parting of the Sensory is my favourite song of theirs since Doin' the Cockroach..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I love it. Absolutely love it. I got hooked on "good news.." originally but have gone back through their catalogue, and thought it had nothing on "m and a" and that they were possibly going downhill.

I feel this record really succeeds at what they were trying out in the last album. The flow is amazing, the new guitar guy sounds like he's always been there... I'm thinking this will be a great album for the summer.

As for the dark mood, I'd say it's dark, brooding and going to hell moodwise, but they're having fun while on the way. :)

Favorite song right now "People like places like people" hidden there at the end of the album. I knew I'd like that one given the title. ;)

This is a possible best of 2007 release.

"While we are on the subject, can we change the subject please"
    Classic MM-ism right there. And I expect to find lots more while I get the actual record and lyrics. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The Moon & Antarctica remains their best, but the new album is really good.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • this album is fucking freaky good
    "be a philosopher but, amid all your philosophy, be first a man" - david hume

Mitch Hedberg- RIP 1968-2005. your jokes have laughed me through a lot. I thank you.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    This is by far the best album of the year so far.....

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Great album! Love the video for Dashboard too, lol
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I've only heard Dashboard so far, but that song is pretty great. I thought it was David Byrne when it came on.
    bharQ wrote:
    yup they've finally come together with all their influences and made a really great record... the marr influence is nice but James Mercer (shins) being on those 3 tracks really highlight the album.. my favourite since Moon & A!
    I didn't know James Mercer was on the new record. Cool.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts