GNR anyone?

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    shahril wrote:
    get ready for a response from AxlUlrich

my question tho is this: while i am not completely for keeping the name GnR because 3 of the members who were there at the 'peak' are gone, especially slash and duff, wouldnt u say the GnR sound is still there?

the underlying style that made GnR, well GnR, has remained and wouldnt u at least give Axl credit for that?

plus, the other guys did sign off the name GnR to Axl didnt they? I mean, they can complain but at the end of the day, they DID sign it off. I dont really agree with keeping the name, but i wont blame Axl for doing so. It his right.

True, but as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, it's pretty much become the Axl Rose show. He wrote all the new stuff, he produced it, he hired the musicians, etc... it's all him. Therefore it's basically an Axl Rose solo project. Whether he owns the rights to the name or not, it's not a Guns N' Roses album. I've heard a couple of the new tracks, and the only thing that makes it sound like Gn'R to me is the fact that it's Axl singing hard-rock music. The only reason he's kept the name is because he knows it'll sell.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    The brand name will sell albums...ask Scott Stapp how the solo thing is working out.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The brand name will sell albums...ask Scott Stapp how the solo thing is working out.
    PBM

You're comparing Axl to Scott Stapp?? As much as I dislike Axl's new band, I still think he's a lot more talented than Scott Stapp. Stapp wouldn't know a good song if it came up and bit him on the ass. My argument is that I don't think Axl needs to cling to the Guns N' Roses name to sell albums. An "Axl Rose" album would sell pretty well. He's still one of the biggest names in rock, and anything with his name attatched to it will sell records. He may have disappeared for 10 years, but I'm guessing he still has a lot of clout in the industry, whereas Scott Stapp is pretty much considered to be a joke the world over. The reason Stapp's album tanked is because he writes shitty songs, plain and simple. Axl would probably fare a lot better as a solo artist.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yes it is..it's all explained in the VHS tapes Making the Fucking Videos Part 1 -4 that were released in 93-94
    and isnt the parts where he falls asleep and gets up like he's having a nightmare obvious enough that it was a dream?
    and he doesnt die in Don't Cry..can't remember the exact thing cos its been ages since i touched my tapes..but it has something to do with a certain part of him dying inside in 1990 and therefore starting afresh in 1991.

yeah i wasn't totally sure about him dying in don't cry. but i saw a plaque on the gravesite. but then someone(him i'm assuming) comes to the grave supported by a cane. a metaphorical death. i can dig that.
    i guess it could be a dream/nightmare in november rain.
    i think we(at least I) need that third part. which i guess isn't going to happen.
    the thing i did pick up was the tension between the bride and slash. he didn't exactly look thrilled that she was marrying axl. and it was clear to me after they got married and were getting in the car that she was looking for him. but alas he was too busy wailing away in that little churchyard on the plain..
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I love GN'R! :D I like old Gn'R better, but the new stuff is ok too. And yeah, I like Velvet Revolver also. It's actually kinda funny how I've seen VR twice and I haven't seen PJ yet :o Come back to Florida dammit! :D haha.

Aaaanyway, wasn't Chinese Democracy supposed to come out in March??? WTF??? Now we gotta wait until SEPTEMBER? lol :D Too funny. This album is never coming out...or so it seems :p
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    I love GN'R! :D I like old Gn'R better, but the new stuff is ok too. And yeah, I like Velvet Revolver also. It's actually kinda funny how I've seen VR twice and I haven't seen PJ yet :o Come back to Florida dammit! :D haha.

Aaaanyway, wasn't Chinese Democracy supposed to come out in March??? WTF??? Now we gotta wait until SEPTEMBER? lol :D Too funny. This album is never coming out...or so it seems :p

Ahh!! I hate VR. Probably only because of Scott Weiland. I fuckin hate him...and he can't write worth a shit.

But after reading some of the posts, it sounds like most of you don't think the new gnr will have that classic sound or sound like original gnr....well, from the rough demo of the leaked tune Catcher in the Rye, it sounds very classic. In fact many people including myself can def. hear how this tune was inspired by the BEATLES and QUEEN.

Hell CITR has BRIAN MAY as a special guest on guitar...he has a killer solo too!!
    Whats got the whole world faking?
    Hell CITR has BRIAN MAY as a special guest on guitar...he has a killer solo too!!

brian may + killer solo = hard to believe.;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • brian may + killer solo = hard to believe.;)

what!? I hope your kidding. you dont think the solo at the end of We Will Rock You is awesome? or his guitar work in fat bottom girls or bohemian rhapsody (however you spell that)
    what!? I hope your kidding. you dont think the solo at the end of We Will Rock You is awesome? or his guitar work in fat bottom girls or bohemian rhapsody (however you spell that)

who me? kidding? of course i was.(where are those rolly eyes?)
    hence the wink.
    i've been aware of brian may for dead on thirty years. i know what he can do and what he has done. plus you're my best friend and fat bottom girls are two of my fave songs.
    i do believe he's also known as BRIAN FUCKIN' MAY, MAN!!!
    :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    the thing i did pick up was the tension between the bride and slash. he didn't exactly look thrilled that she was marrying axl. and it was clear to me after they got married and were getting in the car that she was looking for him. but alas he was too busy wailing away in that little churchyard on the plain..
    nah there isnt any tension...Slash was just acting cool as usual..acting all rockstar like.
    and when Steph entered the car..i think she just looked back at the moment like wow..i just got married
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    nah there isnt any tension...Slash was just acting cool as usual..acting all rockstar like.
    and when Steph entered the car..i think she just looked back at the moment like wow..i just got married

nuh i have to disagree with you there axl. though it is difficult for slash NOT to be cool,there was tension. there was something going on between stephanie and slash. hence the churchyard wailing. that was him venting cause slash don't cry.;)
    she was looking for him getting into the car cause he left the church in a sulk.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuh i have to disagree with you there axl. though it is difficult for slash NOT to be cool,there was tension. there was something going on between stephanie and slash. hence the churchyard wailing. that was him venting cause slash don't cry.;)
    she was looking for him getting into the car cause he left the church in a sulk.
    Slash doing the solo had nothing to do with the storyline..they just wanted to add that scene cos it would be so cool...and yeh it was such a cool scene.
    Slash in general hates to act therefore maybe you sense some tension.
    during the whole Making Of..Duff and Slash were fucking bored..they even had more fun playing with the leather seats making fart sounds.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Slash doing the solo had nothing to do with the storyline..they just wanted to add that scene cos it would be so cool...and yeh it was such a cool scene.
    Slash in general hates to act therefore maybe you sense some tension.
    during the whole Making Of..Duff and Slash were fucking bored..they even had more fun playing with the leather seats making fart sounds.

farting sounds are hilarious......... for guys.
    we may just have to agree to disagree on this one.:)

just give me paradise city, welcome to the jungle and sweet child o' mine anyday. all day. every day. i'm easy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    farting sounds are hilarious......... for guys.
    we may just have to agree to disagree on this one.:)

just give me paradise city, welcome to the jungle and sweet child o' mine anyday. all day. every day. i'm easy.
    i dont enjoy farting sounds meself and im a guy lol...but the scene was hilarious.
    Geffen should re-release these VHS tapes on dvd..cos those Making the Fucking Videos tapes were really the best stuff ever.

darn that's got me in the mood for some AFD...my fave gn'r song ever is "Think About You"

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i dont enjoy farting sounds meself and im a guy lol...but the scene was hilarious.
    Geffen should re-release these VHS tapes on dvd..cos those Making the Fucking Videos tapes were really the best stuff ever.

darn that's got me in the mood for some AFD...my fave gn'r song ever is "Think About You"

yeah i like a good ballad too axl ;)

man there's some seriously rockin' guitar in TAY. and is that cowbell i hear?
    and then along comes sweet child o' mine. there's nothing i can say about this song. it just gets ripped up to 11 whenever i hear it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yeah i like a good ballad too axl ;)

man there's some seriously rockin' guitar in TAY. and is that cowbell i hear?
    and then along comes sweet child o' mine. there's nothing i can say about this song. it just gets ripped up to 11 whenever i hear it.
    cowbells?
    the intro maybe..but i think it's just normal drum cymbals cos i dont remember seeing anyone credited for cowbells.

now listening to the Illusions and "Don't Damn Me" another underrated classic

YNWA
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

oh, the video for Sweet Child O' Mine is probably the first music video I've ever seen. (and not least so because it was a HUGE hit the year I was born. :D ) I just love it! and now I've got the song in my head. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    oh, the video for Sweet Child O' Mine is probably the first music video I've ever seen. (and not least so because it was a HUGE hit the year I was born. :D ) I just love it! and now I've got the song in my head. :)
    not sure if anyone noticed..but there are 2 versions of the videos..but not much of a difference..just some scenes are different and in black n white

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    not sure if anyone noticed..but there are 2 versions of the videos..but not much of a difference..just some scenes are different and in black n white

really? it's been a while since I've seen the vid... what scenes are different?
    although, now that I come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've sometimes had the haunting feeling that somethings different in the video.. or then I'm just make-believing. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    really? it's been a while since I've seen the vid... what scenes are different?
    although, now that I come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've sometimes had the haunting feeling that somethings different in the video.. or then I'm just make-believing. :D
    i can't tell you which scenes are different cos yeh..it's been awhile since i watched the other version.
    only the more popular version is stuck in me head.

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i can't tell you which scenes are different cos yeh..it's been awhile since i watched the other version.
    only the more popular version is stuck in me head.

ah well, I guess I can live without knowing. :p

I just love the song. :D
    AxlUlrich wrote:

yeah i noticed. thought i was hallucinating as i sometimes do.

re: think about you. i hear cowbells. more than once. but i will check one more time just for my own sanity.
    and honestly axl, who in g'n'r would want to be credited with cowbells?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    eMMI wrote:
    ah well, I guess I can live without knowing. :p

I just love the song. :D
    the differences arent great honestly...i wouldn't lose sleep over missing it haha.

yeh love it too...for those who watched the movie "Big Daddy"...you can hear a new studio version of SCOM with the newer members which was recorded in 98 or so.
    at first it starts off as an old live clip of SCOM then switches to the new re-recorded version just before the "where do we go" part.

YNWA
    yeah i noticed. thought i was hallucinating as i sometimes do.

re: think about you. i hear cowbells. more than once. but i will check one more time just for my own sanity.
    and honestly axl, who in g'n'r would want to be credited with cowbells?
    maybe its those cowbells attached to the drumkit..

well i think Adler wouldnt mind taking credit..he makes a few million dollars a year just thanks to appearing on AFD and GN'R Lies

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    maybe its those cowbells attached to the drumkit..

that's my thinking.

re: sweet child video.
    when you see 'the other one' it's as if somethings not quite right. you'll probably dismiss it the first time you see it. blame it on your eyes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    the differences arent great honestly...i wouldn't lose sleep over missing it haha.

yeh love it too...for those who watched the movie "Big Daddy"...you can hear a new studio version of SCOM with the newer members which was recorded in 98 or so.
    at first it starts off as an old live clip of SCOM then switches to the new re-recorded version just before the "where do we go" part.

That Big Daddy version sucks. However, I do love the way axl sings the "where do we go..." part...its pretty cool.

so which gnr boards do you go to?
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Ahh!! I hate VR. Probably only because of Scott Weiland. I fuckin hate him...and he can't write worth a shit.

But after reading some of the posts, it sounds like most of you don't think the new gnr will have that classic sound or sound like original gnr....well, from the rough demo of the leaked tune Catcher in the Rye, it sounds very classic. In fact many people including myself can def. hear how this tune was inspired by the BEATLES and QUEEN.

I think Scott Weiland is ok, but he tends to overuse that freakin' megaphone quite a bit, lol.

And yeah....I don't know if it will, but I really really reeeeaaaally HOPE the new album sounds like classic GN'R!!!!!!! :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I love GN'R and I have the ticket to Budapest show in May...that must be really huge!!! Cannot wait but there is still not any news about release dates:((
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    The new single will be will be released 4-6 weeks from now to go. And I think I'm going to believe this.
  • Klumpie wrote:
    The new single will be will be released 4-6 weeks from now to go. And I think I'm going to believe this.

Ya, its the only rumor since being a GNR fan that i'm gonna let myself believe.

GNR ARE PLAYING IN NYC MAY 15TH AND 17TH!!! HOLY SHIT!!!

I'm getting 2 tickets for sure!!!