GNR anyone?

gnr+pj=2bestevergnr+pj=2bestever Posts: 358
edited May 2008 in Other Music
So do any of you guys like Guns N Roses? If so, do you like the old Guns or the new Guns?

Has anyone heard any of their new songs yet (live or leaked...I have, i have mixed feelings about them).

Discuss what you want about GNR....how bout that Chinese Democracy, huh?
Whats got the whole world faking?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I've always liked GNR...I think the long-hiatus is a little much, but I like the new tunes I've heard.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I LOVE Guns N Roses.

You can't really say what you like better seeing as the album isn't even out yet and we've only heard a handful of songs. I like those new songs alot, but nothing will ever compare to Appetite. Its like trying to compare the new PJ album to Ten. It just can't be done. I think its next to impossible to be able to make an album better then that or Use Your Illusion II.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    yeh me fave band..everything Axl does is gold to me..
    Richard Fortus just said he hopes they are able to release the new album by earliest September.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Ya, I heard about the Sept. thing...but who knows...w/gnr anything could change.

Oh and I think Better is the best of the new songs...axl's voice is the best.

BUT i think Catcher in the Rye has potential to be even better (no pun intended) when the final released version is out there
    Ya, I heard about the Sept. thing...but who knows...w/gnr anything could change.

Oh and I think Better is the best of the new songs...axl's voice is the best.

BUT i think Catcher in the Rye has potential to be even better (no pun intended) when the final released version is out there
    have you heard the instrumentals and alternate versions of TWAT?

CITR..the leaked version had such poor quality..can't judge it much but i love it so far.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • I have the extended version of TWAT w/vocals, but i haven't heard the instrumental yet. idk, something about that song just doesn't do it for me. I think it's the first half i dont like...with the piano and hip hoppish beat. i hope it gets better on the album as it is suppose to be one of the "big guns"
    I have the extended version of TWAT w/vocals, but i haven't heard the instrumental yet. idk, something about that song just doesn't do it for me. I think it's the first half i dont like...with the piano and hip hoppish beat. i hope it gets better on the album as it is suppose to be one of the "big guns"
    i been looking for the 3 leaked instrumentals but it's been hard.
    have the other 4.."Better" is by far my favorite.
    i love the outro for TWAT..the verses arent too bad either.

YNWA
  • As for GNR- Loved the old stuff, haven't heard much of the new. Who didn't love them? That would just be non-sense!
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Great band, I like the old and the new band. From the new songs you can hear Axl is the man. It's just like what Freddie Mercury was to Queen is Axl Rose to Guns N' Roses. Maybe he is an asshole, at least that is what alot of people say, but he's a great musician.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Not heard any of Axl's new material but I love the old Guns. It's not Guns anymore though, just Axl attempting to recreate the old magic. I'm intrigued to hear what the new stuff sounds like though.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 404
    Absolutely love GnR! You're gonna be hard pressed to find a group of guys, together, as talented and creative as this group....Axl contributes with amazing lyrics that can have so many interesting interpretations. His attitude also helps the rockstar image. Matt Sorum on the skins, holy fuck. Just listen....so technical. The purest rock drumming you'll hear. Duff....very dynamic and smooth on the bass guitar. Gilby was a perfect fit for rhythm and Slash....nuff said.

Velvet Revolver are also very good. Took a few listens to get the album but once I saw them live from the front of the crowd, Slash's side, I know they have what it takes to save Rock and roll. It was an unforgettable experience.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Boston 1 24|Boston 2 24|
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I agree that it just isn't G N' R without Axl AND Slash. It was Slash's playing that gave the Guns their trademark sound. I also have a hard time with Buckethead (not sure if he's still with them) filling Slash's spot. To me Buckethead seems like more of a shredder than a blues rock player i.e. Slash.

I also feel the same way about Axl. It just wouldn't be the same without him either. But right now it just seems like the band should be called "The Axl Rose Show" instead of G N' R. I just wish they could all just kiss and make up and make some more killer music together.
  • Buckethead is no longer with the band. He has left. so I hope, and according to an email sent by a fan at one of the guns n roses message boards, the new gun's record will be out in September.

Can't wait for summer tour!
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    funkymonk wrote:
    But right now it just seems like the band should be called "The Axl Rose Show" instead of G N' R.

Axl is an egomaniac and acts like a rotten teenager so I think this name would be fitting.

With that being said, they have put out some great music and have high expectations for the new CD when its released in 2012.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • ^^^^hahah
    2012, well this year might be the year!

(ahha, ya right.....!haha)
  • Lovin the new GNR, Axl may be a little over the top at times but he has proven once and for all that he doesnt need those other guys.
    Its hard for people to recognize his talent when youve got someone like Slash on guitar...Slash is absolute badass but that doesnt make him a great songwriter. Turns out he needed axl to carry him along, just listen to Velvet Revolver.
    http://www.myspace.com/bonodinner

Detroit x 2
    Grand Rapids x 2
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    <~~ currently blastin THE fuckin song..>ROCKET QUEEN \m/ :D

*sways ala Axl*
    :p

I love the GUNNERS baybeee!!

<~~ trying to be as butt rock about it as possible
    :eek: :D

haha. Really though...old & new, I'll take em both. Ok, I mean I guess if you put a GUN to my head I'd say APPETITE is THE BEST and basically one of the greatest album EVER EVER EVER..but hey...who can really dispute that? ;) I'm also very obsessed with Use Your Illusions II. Mmmm.

Chinese Democracy? Mixed feelings as well. I still just can't even accept GNR = Axl. Very strange to still have that name. Doesn't sit right with me. I mean?? But, eh..whatev. :p On the bright side, I was very pleasantly surrpised with the 2 demos that I heard...like, VERY. Chinese Democracy was becomming such a joke and I went from being interested and excited to hear what it would bring, to laughing, to just kinda forgettng about it. It's nice to be excited and interested again. The demos sound really good. Axl sounds amazing after all these years. Will it translate live? Not likely :eek:...but we still love ya! haha. There's no one else like Axl. This voice definitely stands alone with it's power.

GNR will forever ROCK my world.
    :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    gnr were great one of the best rock bands ever the new gnr is a joke
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    <~~ currently blastin THE fuckin song..>ROCKET QUEEN \m/ :D

*sways ala Axl*
    :p

I love the GUNNERS baybeee!!

<~~ trying to be as butt rock about it as possible
    :eek: :D

haha. Really though...old & new, I'll take em both. Ok, I mean I guess if you put a GUN to my head I'd say APPETITE is THE BEST and basically one of the greatest album EVER EVER EVER..but hey...who can really dispute that? ;) I'm also very obsessed with Use Your Illusions II. Mmmm.

Chinese Democracy? Mixed feelings as well. I still just can't even accept GNR = Axl. Very strange to still have that name. Doesn't sit right with me. I mean?? But, eh..whatev. :p On the bright side, I was very pleasantly surrpised with the 2 demos that I heard...like, VERY. Chinese Democracy was becomming such a joke and I went from being interested and excited to hear what it would bring, to laughing, to just kinda forgettng about it. It's nice to be excited and interested again. The demos sound really good. Axl sounds amazing after all these years. Will it translate live? Not likely :eek:...but we still love ya! haha. There's no one else like Axl. This voice definitely stands alone with it's power.

GNR will forever ROCK my world.
    :)

what 2 demo's have you heard?

and sometimes i agree that the new guns are a joke, but I seriously think they will be awesome once they start playing their OWN material rather than just covering old guns stuff.

ya, so GNR is my fav band. but pearl jam is a close second, and thats saying a lot!
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Hey there. :)

I've heard IRS and Better.

Again, surpringly impressed with both. Guess which one I like Better? ;) haha. Reeeally dig that one. :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Madagascar is really good...however, it sounds like something that was written around the time of Illusions.

IRS is my favorite thus far.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Madagascar is really good...however, it sounds like something that was written around the time of Illusions.

IRS is my favorite thus far.

PBM

In the middle of the song Madagascar, there is a guy that say this "What we got here is failure, just ?????". This part is also in Civil War.
    Klumpie wrote:
    In the middle of the song Madagascar, there is a guy that say this "What we got here is failure, just ?????". This part is also in Civil War.
    yeh..thats some Military guy saying it..forgot his name...apparently its a famous quote.
    "what we've got here is..failure to communicate"

YNWA
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    "what we've got here is..failure to communicate"

Cool Hand Luke...the Strother Martin classic line.

PBM

Cool Hand Luke...the Strother Martin classic line.

PBM
    yeh that's right was confused with the other quotes from Civil War which was by some Peruvian Guerilla

"WE PRACTICE SELECTIVE ANNIHILATION OF MAYORS
    AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS
    FOR EXAMPLE TO CREATE A VACUUM
    THEN WE FILL THAT VACUUM
    AS POPULAR WAR ADVANCES
    PEACE IS CLOSER"

YNWA
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    how could someone not like Guns n' Roses?! :D

absolutely magnificent!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

before I had heard PJ G'n'R and Queen were my fav bands.. now I've got PJ as #1 but I LLOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE G'n'R (and Queen) still.
    I used to have the biggest crush on Axl. :o hmm, well, on the Axl he looked like some 20 years ago. :p
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    The old G 'n R i couldnt get enough of.

Ive heard two of the new songs, one i liked, cant remember what it was called. The other i thought was so-so, something about 'just another sunday/day' i dont really remember the name of that either... but i remember thinking it was weird.

Even if they came to Scotland i dont think id go see them, Axl is a dick and unpredictable.
    chris01 wrote:
    Ive heard two of the new songs, one i liked, cant remember what it was called. The other i thought was so-so, something about 'just another sunday/day' i dont really remember the name of that either... but i remember thinking it was weird.
    Just Another Sunday was a demo from the Illusion era

YNWA
    That's something I would like to get your opinion on AxlUlrich. chris01 raises a good point...Axl Rose hasn't been very kind to his fans as of late...(i.e. the long-hiatus...the 2002 tour debacle).

What do you make of this?

PBM

That's something I would like to get your opinion on AxlUlrich. chris01 raises a good point...Axl Rose hasn't been very kind to his fans as of late...(i.e. the long-hiatus...the 2002 tour debacle).

What do you make of this?

PBM
    well...i respect his hiatus etc and dont see it as him being unkind to fans.
    recently..he never failed to talk to fans or even take pics with them if approached at Airports,clubs etc.
    to me..he's always been a nice guy to fans...heck he even beat up security to protect a female fan in a hotel once.
    whenever he attacks fans etc..i think it's the fans fault for breaking simple rules like "No Cameras Allowed" or asking stupid questions like "Where's Slash?"
    the only time when i thought he was an "asshole" was in Montreal 92 when James Hetfield got burnt and he just walked off stage so that GN'R will recapture the headlines from MetallicA that night.

YNWA