Best live show you've ever been to!/

HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Ok, so we've got a 'worst live show you've ever seen' but what's the Best
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Police-Spring 1982-"Ghost in the Machine" Tour-Birmingham-Jefferson County Civic Center Coliseum Birmingham, Alabama.

The best live show that was not a Pearl Jam concert for me.

Runner-up: Sleater-Kinney "The Woods" tour-Summer 2005-Variety Playhouse Atlanta, Georgia
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Hippyvik wrote:
    Ok, so we've got a 'worst live show you've ever seen' but what's the Best
    I've got several

Pearl jam
    Foo fighters
    The who
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    The Moody Blues
    The Burden Brothers
    Joe Bonamassa
    red hot chili peppers (their show in January that I saw was great, I hear they are hit and miss though).
    Bush (back in 96, and 97)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I really enjoyed seeing Pearl Jam, but after hearing various boots I would say when I saw them they were somewhere between average and great, by their standards, the night I saw them.

I think the best show I've seen was The Walkmen. They are far from my favorite band, but they were fantastic live, they had energy and intensity from start to finish. The Dismemberment Plan comes in second.
  • Pearl Jam
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    November 25th 2005
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    I have so many that are up there, but the best concert by far that I have attended was Nick Cave in Montreal 2002 with Neko Case opening.

As far as PJ goes... Toledo with Neil Young 2004 and Grand Rapids. The Kitchener/London/Ottawa and Montreal PJ shows are highlights for me as well.

Portishead in Ottawa 1997 was also one of the best concerts I've ever been too.
  • HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
    I've had to think about this one, and I think it would have to be Bush at the Kilburn National, London October 24th 1997, awesome gig. The sound engineer was one of the best, the bass made my jeans flap, but it wasn' too loud, what a performance and then we went to the aftershow party because our next door neighbour drove one of the Stage Truck lorries and did Gav's spot light :D
  • Pearl Jam
    Chicago

I know I will get flamed for this one, but Matchbox Twenty...i got free tix in 2001 and they were a tight live act...very enjoyable.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • The first time I saw Pearl Jam (Memorial Day weekend, '06) was a religious experience. Besides that, I'd have to say:

Slayer '02: The atmosphere was amazing. I've never felt more energetic since.

Iron Maiden, Dio, and Motorhead '03: Great bands, great sets, and my friends whooped some ass on the lawn.

Megadeth '03: This show was the reason why I've seen them three times since. They're one of my favorite live bands.

Alice in Chains '06: AIC is my favorite band. Hands down. It was amazing to see them live after such a long hiatus. I even did a shot with Mike Inez, got the setlist, and a pick from Jerry.
    I'll cut you in.
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Pearl Jam- Limelight, NYC '92
    System of a Down- 9:30 Club, DC- '05
    NIN- MSG, NY
    Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Guns-N-Roses- Giants Stadium, NJ- '87
    Pearl Jam- Mexico City, 05

i am sure there are many others... these are some stand outs.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Pearl Jam
    TOOL
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Binaural wrote:
    Pearl Jam
    TOOL

yep, I agree with you totally. For me Pearl Jam, Albuquerque 98 will be the greatest show in my life, nothing could ever top it and coming in at a close second would be Tool, Dallas 06. Amazing!

Runner up award would go to: Radiohead, Houston, 02
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    yield2me wrote:
    yep, I agree with you totally. For me Pearl Jam, Albuquerque 98 will be the greatest show in my life, nothing could ever top it and coming in at a close second would be Tool, Dallas 06. Amazing!

Runner up award would go to: Radiohead, Houston, 02

Yeah after the TOOL show I was speechless, I still can't get over just how fucking incredible they were. As for PJ, well we all know the level they perform at :D Never seen Radiohead although I have seen a pianist who has permission form the band to perform their stuff on piano,no vocals. Amazing stuff.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Binaural wrote:
    Yeah after the TOOL show I was speechless, I still can't get over just how fucking incredible they were. As for PJ, well we all know the level they perform at :D Never seen Radiohead although I have seen a pianist who has permission form the band to perform their stuff on piano,no vocals. Amazing stuff.

Radiohead is kinda like Tool in the way that it really isn't a concert, it's more of an experience!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    In no order:

The Rolling Stones - Memorial Stadium, Columbia, MO '94
    Gloria Estefan - Riverport Ampitheater, St Louis, '96 (I'm not kidding, it was like a huge party)
    Pearl Jam - Riverport, St Louis, '98 (first time I saw them, fantastic setlist)
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Kiel Center, St Louis, 2002
    Prince, Kemper Arena, Kansas City, 1998
    Moby, American Theater, St Louis, 2000
    R.E.M., Riverport, St Louis, '99
    Radiohead, Riverport, St Louis, 2003
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • NYbenben wrote:
    Pearl Jam- Limelight, NYC '92
    System of a Down- 9:30 Club, DC- '05
    NIN- MSG, NY
    Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Guns-N-Roses- Giants Stadium, NJ- '87
    Pearl Jam- Mexico City, 05

i am sure there are many others... these are some stand outs.

that aerosmith show musta been awesome!

Mine:

Guns N Roses, Hammerstein Ballroom, March 15, 2006.

Close Second:

Pearl Jam, Boston Night 2, 2006

Saw them within a week of each other....awesome week!
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • larslars Posts: 524
    BIOHAZARD - Mid 90s, just after releasing State of the world address. They invited people to come up on the stage with them....It was loaded and everyone was jumping around like maniacs...but with respect for eachothers....cool show.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Portishead in Ottawa 1997 was also one of the best concerts I've ever been too.
    Oh wow! You lucky bastard! :D
    Alice in Chains '06: AIC is my favorite band. Hands down. It was amazing to see them live after such a long hiatus. I even did a shot with Mike Inez, got the setlist, and a pick from Jerry.
    Um??? :eek: Fuuuuck. Once again..WOW! you lucky bastard! :D

Alright well other then PJ obviously, the live shows that I've seen that especially stand out are....

* The Rolling Stones
    * The Who
    * Soundgarden
    * Chris Cornell - solo
    * AIC - the remaining 3 in '06
    * The White Stripes
    * Radiohead
    * Rob Zombie
    * Trent Reznor
    * Metallica
    * Sonic Youth
    * Rage Against The Machine
    * The Strokes
    * Dave Matthews
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    tool - sept 18, 2001
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • My Morning Jacket
    My Morning Jacket
    My Morning Jacket

Drive By Truckers
    Will Hoge
    Muse
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Flaming Lips
  • The Mars Volta at Bonnaroo 2005. Followed closely by the 4 other times I've seen them: May 2005 in Detroit, September 2005 in Cleveland (opening for System of a Down), October 2006 in Chicago and December 2006 in Cleveland (opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers). They're the best live band I've seen, hands down. Other than the Mars Volta, my first Pearl Jam show is hard to beat (Cleveland 2003), as well as seeing Jerry Cantrell open for Nickelback in Cleveland, whatever year he put out Degradation Trip. Audioslave and 311 were both surprisingly great shows too.
  • Pearl Jam Ottawa 2006.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Metallica Brisbane 2003, by a nose hair over PJ Brisbane 1 last year, by far the best of the 4 times I have seen them.
    INXS at Chandler in Bris in about 1985 or somewthing was pretty good too !
    Music is not a competetion.
  • My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    besides the obvious PJ shows..

the best show i ever saw was boyhitscar back in December in California. I've loved them for years, and this was the first opportunity ever to see them. got to talk to CRegg after the show for a bit, and i stay in touch with him via email. Its nice that he takes time out to email me back just to say whats up.

some other honorable mention shows

the 4 times i've seen Nonpoint
    6 times i've seen MuDvAyNE
    Ozzfest 2002.. getting to see Drowning Pool a week before Dave died
    Bloodhound Gang - local hometown show, best $15 i ever spent for a show.

it sucks not getting into a band till after you seen them live.. like i saw 36 Crazyfists up in Mass a few years ago, they were ok. But i really started getting into them last year, and i'm kicking myself for not rocking out back when i had the chance to.
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • Pearl Jam, Reading 2006

Counting Crows, The Forum London 2000
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Tom Waits - Akron Civic Theatre, August 2006

the man is a legend. words cannot describe that night.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Pearl Jam- San Francisco 2006 nights 1, 2, and 3.
    The Arcade Fire- The Warfield in San Francisco 2005
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Oasis
    The offspring (they put on a fucking great show.
  • 1. Pearl Jam- Boston 2 06
    2. Pearl Jam- Boston 1 06
    3. Pearl Jam- Ottawa 05
    4. Pearl Jam- Hawaii 06
    5. Pearl Jam- Boston 04
    6. Pearl Jam- Hartford 06

7. Tie- Ben Harper & The Who :D
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    outside of pj shows which you can see in my sig (which were all probably my favorites since pj is my favorite band):

audioslave/seether- '05 msg
    candlebox (with dave krusen, former pj drummer)- '98 c.p.i.,
    jerry cantrell (opening up for *gasp* nickelback)- '02 hammerstein ballroom
    coldplay/the verve- '06 nassau coliseum
    collective soul/gin blossoms- '05 ives concert park, wcsu
    collective soul (maybe my 2nd favorite live band)- trump marina, atlantic city
    foo fighters/qotsa- '00 roseland
    metallica/linkin park/ limp bizkit/ deftones/ mudvayne(on floor, met linkin park, chester is a cool guy)- '03 giants stadium
    green day- '04 continental airlines arena
    seether/shinedown/flyleaf- '06 starland
    metallica/godsmack- '04 nassau
    system of a down- '05 continental
    rhcp/qotsa/mars volta- '03 continental
    audioslave/stone sour/ coldplay/ box car racer etc. (clause fest)- '02 nassau
    stp/ linkin park/ staind/ static x- '01 continental

shows im embarrassed to admit i liked:

fuel/creed (when they first came out)- '98 cpi
    papa roach/ eminem/ limp bizkit- '00 continental
    korn/staind (korn is still the loudest band i ever heard live, only one where my ears were still ringing the next day)- '00 nassau

(these are all bands i no longer like anymore really)

also enjoyed sonic youth, sparta, my morning jacket opening up for pj
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER