Best live show you've ever been to!/

Comments

• angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Oasis
    The offspring (they put on a fucking great show.
    really? the little ive seen of the offspring live they sounded awful
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    pearl jam
    nin
    pixies
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Pearl Jam Related: Maple Leaf Gardens, 1998 - Nothing to say really except it started with lit candles all around the stage and then all of the sudden, there it was - the first note of Release. I cried.

Non-Pearl Jam: Radiohead, Skydome, Oct 15, 2003 - Thom Yorke stops the band mid-song (Myxomatosis) because a fan in the front is "having a fit and his eyes are rolling back into his head." He calls for a medic, the fan is carried off and the literally start back up, mid-song, without error or hesitation. Any Radiohead fans out there will know how difficult this would truly be based on difficulty of song. About 7 songs later, he gave the audience an update on the fan and he was resting, but fine. I can honestly say, the music kicked my ass that night.

Local Show: Jimmy Swift Band, Pepperwood, Hamilton, a few years ago - These guys from Halifax were opening for Grand Theft Bus but blew the crowd away with their set. After they left the stage, everybody left. I felt really bad for the main act, but those guys were just unbelievable. It was like dance music, but with guitars. I had never experienced anything quite like it. And the covered "Children" by Robert Miles. Fantastic.
  • Pearl Jam May 19th 2006 Grand Rapids
    Runner up : The Decemberists in Grand Rapids in 2004
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    other than pj
    godspeed you black emperor 01 - best show i've ever been to
    ani difranco a bunch of times, always great
    radiohead 03 great, great show, saw a good part of the soundcheck!!!
    hamell on trial seen him a bunch of times, always puts on a great show and is riot
    sigur ros 05 beautiful show!!
    system of a down 05 -got real close to the front, lots of energy
    the strokes 06 - one of the best shows i've been to
    mogwai 06 - nice mellow and rockin show
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • El_Kabong wrote:
    other than pj
    godspeed you black emperor 01 - best show i've ever been to
    ani difranco a bunch of times, always great
    radiohead 03 great, great show, saw a good part of the soundcheck!!!
    hamell on trial seen him a bunch of times, always puts on a great show and is riot
    sigur ros 05 beautiful show!!
    system of a down 05 -got real close to the front, lots of energy
    the strokes 06 - one of the best shows i've been to
    mogwai 06 - nice mellow and rockin show

So you're the guy that's been following me to all the shows I've been to lately!!!! Bastard. ;)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce and the e street band giant stadium 03- seats were all the way in the upperdeck in the back of giant stadium. just 3+ hours of the bruce and the band on a summer night, no stadium lights, no encores.just singing my lungs and dancing like a crazy person, coolest part is i went with my mom. no concert will ever top this for me
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I can't remember the dates of these shows (would have to go dig out all my ticket stubs)....but these are the best live bands i've seen:

Broken Social Scene: the Phoenix, Toronto - charity benefit show, a very loose and casual night (Sarah Harmer and Hayden joined them on stage for a couple songs - amazing!!!!!)

Arcade Fire/Wolf Parade/Final Fantasy: Danforth Music Hall, Toronto - mindblowing night from start to finish

Godspeed You Black Emperor: Bloor St Theatre, Toronto - an old movie theatre, they played in front of the screen and had images projected behind them during their set

Mogwai - the Phoenix, Toronto - made my ears bleed ;)

Doves/Mercury Rev - the Kool Haus, Toronto

Mr Bungle - the Guverment, Toronto - seeing them live makes you appreciate Mike Pattons genius

the Rheostatics - The Horseshoe, Toronto - their weekly run of shows every year.....gonna miss these guys

Sarah Harmer - Winter Garden Theatre, Toronto - amazing venue, incredible show

the Cure - Varsity Arena, Toronto - played for 3+ hours, mindblowing!!!

Some others who I've seen multiple times and always blow me away live: FLAMING LIPS!!!!!, Sonic Youth, Interpol, Hayden, Primal Scream, Spiritualized, the Dandy Warhols, Tori Amos, Radiohead, Stereolab
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    7/8/03. I've seen hundreds of shows, and PJ at MSG night 1 probably reigns supreme.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    Best PJ Show: Seattle II '00 and then the Orlando HOB show in '03 only for being so damn close to the stage and in a GA crowd following Roskilde.

Best Non-PJ Shows: NIN-Tampa '94 during the Downward Spiral Tour; Lolla '96 w/ Ramones, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, RATM, Rancid, and Metallica (sure it wasn't in the true spirit of the origins of the festival, but what a kick ass lineup); Faith No More in Australia '97 b/c I snuck in free with some Aussies I had met; Radiohead-West Palm Beach '03; Yo La Tengo-last month (an actual transcendental show if I've ever witnessed one); and Crystal Method/BT/Taylor in '98 b/c it was intense and insane and I was on some good X.
    Live Free or Die!
  • TrauTrau Posts: 188
    I've only been to three real concerts in my life, and they're were all quite good. Very different from each other.

In 2002, I saw Dio, Deep Purple, and the Scorpions in Concord, California.

In 2003, I saw Pearl Jam in Mountainview, California. Idlewild sucked.

In 2007, I saw Type O Negative at the House of Blues in Anaheim, California.
    In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    Frigid statue standing icy blue and numb
    Where are the frost giants Ive begged for protection?
    I'm freezing

Are you afraid, afraid to die
    Don't be afraid, afraid to try
  • The '98 Knoxville YIELD show was great...so was Memphis '00 and Kitchener '05.

Other than that, both DBT shows last year (Nashville in Feb. / Memhis in Oct.) were great and I'm looking forward to a couple more this year.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    i agree with most on here....all pearl jam shows ive seen....but a show i must mention because it stands out in my mind was The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness tour ....i think back in 96' in Calgary, that show was mind blowing for me. Say what you will about Billy Corgan but he was a rock god that night.
  • bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce and the e street band giant stadium 03- seats were all the way in the upperdeck in the back of giant stadium. just 3+ hours of the bruce and the band on a summer night, no stadium lights, no encores.just singing my lungs and dancing like a crazy person, coolest part is i went with my mom. no concert will ever top this for me

oh my god, what i would give to have been to a concert like that. Too me, nothing beats bruce on a nice warm summer afternoon/evening (on the east coast, mind you) ;)
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Any Pearl Jam Show is great IMO so they will always be #1 for me.

The Who - Raleigh, 1998
    Dave & Friends - Rochester Aud
    HORDE (Lenny Kravitz kicked ass!) - SPAC - 1996
    Phish - SPAC - 2004????
    The Rolling Stones - Wembley Arena- UK - 1999
    and so many more!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • for me I'd have to say

Pearl Jam..all of them but specifically Ottawa 2005
    Tragically Hip
    Tool
    The cure
    Master of Zen
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    its really hard to pick but i'll try to narrow it down to 3.

1.ryan adams - cold roses tour (sayersville nj)
    2.Bruce - the rising tour (the linc)
    3.Pearl Jam - camden 03

that was real hard i really wanted to include roger waters doing dark side of the moon but he just missed out.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Tragically Hip at Sasquatch 2006. Unfortunately they only got to play 8 songs due to the crazy hail storm, but it was the single greatest performance I've ever witnessed by anybody. Short, but mind-blowing.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,778
    My best 2 PEARL JAMS shows were: Oct. 1, 2006 at the Borgata in Atlantic City, and OCt. 3. 2006 in Philly(Whacovia).

ROLLING STONES: SEPT. 22 2005 (TOWER THEATER)

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN AND HOWE(YES): AUG 3. 1989(SPECTRUM)

CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG; MARCH 20, 2000(FISRT UNION CENTER)

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN:OCT. 2, 2003 (STONE PONY)

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN:NOV. 20,2005(IRVING PLAZA)

ALICE IN CHAINS:AUG. 4,2006(STARLAND BALLROOM)

ROGER WATERS:SEPT. 12, 2006 (MSG)

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS: OCT. 24,2006(WHACOVIA CENTER)

ALICE IN CHAINS: OCT. 28, 2006 (BORGATA)

ROLLING STONES: SEPT. 25, 1981(JFK STADIUM)

THE WHO: JULY 10, 1989(VET STADIUM)-38 SONGS OVER 3 1/2 HOURS

THE WHO: SEPT. 25, 1982(JFK STADIUM)-WITH SANTANA

RUSH: OCT. 27, 2002(FIRST UNION CENTER)

ROLLING STONES: FEB 1, 2006 1ST MARINER ARENA-BALTIMORE)

NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE: SEPT. 17, 1986(SPECTRUM)

DAVID BOWIE: JULY 19, 1983 (SPECTRUM)
  • Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes Milwaukee's Summerfest. Didn't have tickets , got lucky from somebody selling them outside the venue. 15th row almost center. I was talking about that show for weeks. Closest I'll ever get to seeing a Led Zeppelin show. :D
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Trau wrote:
    I've only been to three real concerts in my life, and they're were all quite good. Very different from each other.

In 2002, I saw Dio, Deep Purple, and the Scorpions in Concord, California.

In 2003, I saw Pearl Jam in Mountainview, California. Idlewild sucked.

In 2007, I saw Type O Negative at the House of Blues in Anaheim, California.

Man, I thought Idlewild were incredible. Seeing them open that show and Vancouver two nights before made me into an Idlewild fan.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Pink Floyd at BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, BC (Dark Side of the Moon played live in its entirety!!!!!!!)
    Pearl Jam at The Showbox, Seattle, WA
    Fishbone at The Fenix, Seattle, WA
  • i have been to so many fantastic gigs that i can't pick the best. some that spring to mind are:

pearl jam at brixton circa vs and at wembley arena circa binaural.

tool - seen them 4 times all excellent, but especially wembley last november seeing wings for marie/10,000 days live

nin - seen them 5 times all excellent (soon to be 6 times!)

rush at wembley on the R30 tour

ministry at the astoria circa animositisomina

fear factory at the astoria circa demanufacture

interpol (with bloc party supporting) at the islington academy circa antics

pink floyd at the docklands arena circa momentary lapse of reason

therapy? at brixton in the middle of the brixton riots!

muse at wembley arena last november
  • stones/rush/acdc SARSTOCK

dead/dylan/tom petty BUFFALO

but those are just today's picks...
  • Pearl Jam aside..

Roling Stones and AC/DC-Hockenheim, 2003
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Finsbury Park, 2001
    The Strokes-Electric Ballroom, 2001
    Bob Dylan-Brixton Academy, 2005
    Prince-Hammersmith Apollo, 2003
    Arthur Lee-Aylesbury Civic centre, 2004
    Queens of the Stoneage-Astoria, 2002
    Echo and the Bunnymen-Oxford Zodiac, 2006
    Patti Smith-St James' Church, 2001
  • Pearl Jam aside..

Prince-Hammersmith Apollo, 2003

nooooooooooooooo! it will always be the hammersmith ODEON to me ;)
  • Arctangent wrote:
    nooooooooooooooo! it will always be the hammersmith ODEON to me ;)
    Cool place though. He had it decked out in orange panels, and about a gaziloiyhiohdionduianillion flourescent mirrorballs.

My parents call it the Odeon, I think they went to see Bowie there while I was in the making.
  • Roger Waters- Dark Side of the Moon Tour 2006 ACC
    David Gilmour- Massey Hall 2006
    Tool- September 18, 2001
    NIN with Soundgarden & Marilyn Manson, PWEI Molson Park 94
    Pearl Jam Buffalo 2003/Toronto 96
    Metallica- Fillmore SF May 2003/Toronto Warehouse 1998
    Barrie: 08/22/98 Boston 09 28-29/04
    Buffalo 05/02/03 Hamilton 09/13/05
    Kitchener: 09/11/05 London:09/12/05
    Montreal: 06/29/03, 09/15/05 Ottawa: 09/16/05 Toronto:9/21/96, 10/05/00, 06/28/03, 09/19/05, 05/09-10/06