Options

An exclusionary ticket policy?

Comments

• Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Were there multiple threads here from PJ fans claiming they were excluded from the most recent tour because of high ticket prices? Dirty frankly, I don't see any epidemic going on in regards to fans being priced out. Also, West Palm Beach, Columbia, and Virginia Beach are hardly large cities.

Dumb thread.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I'm still stuck on how it is the fan club favors people who follow the band to multiple shows...
  • Options
    edvedr13edvedr13 Posts: 241
    Hey Bez, stop bitchin and enjoy the perks we're alotted!
    Like fuck, we've got pretty damn good
    Joe
    "It's Evolution Baby"
    Montreal '00; Toronto '03; Montreal '03; Kitchener '05; London '05; Hamilton '05; Toronto '05; Toronto '06 x2; Boston '06; Toronto '08 x2 (Eddie)
  • Options
    gotchagotcha Posts: 56
    CityMouse wrote:
    I'm still stuck on how it is the fan club favors people who follow the band to multiple shows...

Maybe he means when that when seats are chosen by seniority, fans who have been in the 10C for a while go to a lot of shows, so they take away tickets from fans who just want to or can afford to go to one close to their home. (?)
    "uncanny and immutable"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I hate to be one of *those guys* ... but there have already been multiple, multiple threads on this.

Why did you feel the need to start yet another one? Go add to those.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I understand peoples grief with the band not playing in smaller cities or particular regions or for a cheaper price. I'll admit, I was a little bummed when I saw the list for the east coast tour because I knew if I wanted to go it would not be a cheap affair (after all of the costs were added up). So I came to the conclusion, do I want to spend all of my money on one band (my favorite band since the age of 11), or take that same amount of money and see multiple up and coming bands in my area. I chose the latter. There are a lot of great up and coming bands or undiscovered bands that will play anywhere, and I mean anywhere, in an attempt to get their sound heard, and the performances are usually stellar because these undiscovered bands realize they have to put on a great show in order to get people to buy their album or to see them again so they can eat the next night.

True, this does not explain the rise of Pearl Jam's ticket cost, it's more or less just another option to think about.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,745
    Bands don't make their money selling albums anymore, they make it touring. Do you want cheap tickets or do you want to download music without paying for it? You can't have both...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    gotcha wrote:
    Maybe he means when that when seats are chosen by seniority, fans who have been in the 10C for a while go to a lot of shows, so they take away tickets from fans who just want to or can afford to go to one close to their home. (?)

oh well I don't think that is favoring fans who go to multiple shows, it's just allowing them to. the people who only want to go to one show near home have the same chance of getting tickets. (I only went to shows close to home this year). Plus, I've never had any problems getting fan club tickets to any shows. I know the EV tix were in short supply, but I've never heard of ten club members getting shut out of PJ shows.
  • Options
    cash wrote:
    Somebody has used this Neil Young solor Tour vs EV solo tour price comparison before, maybe it was you. I see it differently...Neil Young is playing all his hits and rarities for $140 a night. EV is playing a mediocre movie soundtrack plus 5 Pearl Jam songs for $100 a ticket. If it was all PearlJam songs w/rarities, covers, i can see the price being that high. If neil young was charging 140$ a ticket for a movie soundtrack tour id be skeptical also.

It just sounds like a matter of taste to me. If you don't like Ed's solo stuff, obviously you shouldn't go, no matter what the price.

But where you see "a mediocre movie soundtrack" I and others see "Ed's best work in years." And we're willing to pay accordingly.

Another thing ... you're paying for the experience. The one Ed show I saw in LA will forever go down as one of the most special nights of music I've ever been privy to. The venue was small and intimate, Ed was in good storytelling spirits and interacting with the crowd ... it was like he was playing my living room.

I'll definitely pay 80 bucks for that. (Actually, I had to pay $180 through Stub Hub -- a sign that these tickets are actually UNDERpriced).
  • Options
    Not sure I'd call 2006 a full blown tour either. But I'll have to go bakc and look at the dates...didn't feel "full blown"...at least compared to a pre-2006 normal PJ tour schedule.

You mean like the 12 shows they played in 1995 and 1996 combined? ;)
  • Options
    I understand peoples grief with the band not playing in smaller cities or particular regions or for a cheaper price. I'll admit, I was a little bummed when I saw the list for the east coast tour because I knew if I wanted to go it would not be a cheap affair (after all of the costs were added up). So I came to the conclusion, do I want to spend all of my money on one band (my favorite band since the age of 11), or take that same amount of money and see multiple up and coming bands in my area. I chose the latter. There are a lot of great up and coming bands or undiscovered bands that will play anywhere, and I mean anywhere, in an attempt to get their sound heard, and the performances are usually stellar because these undiscovered bands realize they have to put on a great show in order to get people to buy their album or to see them again so they can eat the next night.

True, this does not explain the rise of Pearl Jam's ticket cost, it's more or less just another option to think about.

This band is legendary. They can name their price and I'll be there. I'll download their bootlegs from their site for $10 then love them so much that I'll go back and order the hard copy CD's as well. I'll spend $35.00 on the Klausen shirt and then run back out while they are playing Even Flow to drop $55.00 on the hoodie.

This band has always gone to extraordinary measures to make themselves and their music accessible to their fans. At this point in their career, they truly can name their price and I'll bite. They deserve it and THEY ARE THAT GOOD.

What I won't do is pay a greedy broker $600.00 for tix or $300 for a poster to NinersFan because he is a poster pig. That doesn't benefit them at all.

Keep rocking boys. I'll keep spitting up the $$$ to see you and I'm sure there are plenty like me with the same opinion.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    This band is legendary. They can name their price and I'll be there. I'll download their bootlegs from their site for $10 then love them so much that I'll go back and order the hard copy CD's as well. I'll spend $35.00 on the Klausen shirt and then run back out while they are playing Even Flow to drop $55.00 on the hoodie.

This band has always gone to extraordinary measures to make themselves and their music accessible to their fans. At this point in their career, they truly can name their price and I'll bite. They deserve it and THEY ARE THAT GOOD.

What I won't do is pay a greedy broker $600.00 for tix or $300 for a poster to NinersFan because he is a poster pig. That doesn't benefit them at all.

Keep rocking boys. I'll keep spitting up the $$$ to see you and I'm sure there are plenty like me with the same opinion.

That's fine. I'm glad to see your enthusiasm for the group and I am in no way saying they aren't legends. I was just suggesting another option for those of us who are a bit more frugal with our money.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,779
    Think about this:

For all of the bands that can sell out stadiums, how many charge a relatively consistent, low price for great seats?

I saw REM play the United Center in Chicago this year, and my seats were $30 more than upper level, but still about $40 cheaper than the floor. I'd have loved to get closer, but I didn't want to spend over $100.

When you see Pearl Jam, the front row seats cost just as much as ones higher up (or at the very worst, there may be a $20 difference). They could easily be charging $200+ for front row seats and stagger the prices the further you get away from the stage, but they sell their fan club members the best seats in the house for what everyone else pays.
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    The band shows the love by not charging what they could charge and forgoing millions of dollars in profit by doing this. PJ shows would all sell out if they charged $100 + per ticket and $300+ for centre floor like most other big bands.
    The band is GIVING UP this money by only charging $65 (PJ) or $75 (ED). I don't expect them to sleep in their broken down tour bus to save us even more money.
    Fans that tour from show to show help make the PJ experience what it is - the hardcore fans sing and dance hard every show which, IMO gets the crowd rocking even harder which elevates that experience for everyone.
    I thought recently at a PJ show, the 10C fans spread out and occupy a lot of varied seats throughout the venue - this ensures that there are hyped up fans never far away, which brings the casual fan into the experience - next thing you know they are singing and dancing - not an every day experience at a stadium show - so touring fans are great!
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    polaris wrote:
    seriously?? ... you got a link?
    cannot find it? sorry for the bad info. it was posted on the tickets for sale board in the local record store when I was buying the PJ mansfield tickets and I was like, wow, WTF, $25 bucks for REM. maybe I read it wrong. I just looked and I did see OAR is playing for $35, and Lincoln Park if also playing there for $35..... Maybe I read it wrong.

My bad.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Lets look at the money PJ makes outside of touring:

Avocado album-2 years ago
    that music video they made for it that rarely aired- 2 years ago
    promotion for new album-there is none, probably wont be anyway.

PJ makes almost all of their money from touring, and merchandise at the venues. Maybe if they decided to make PJ action figures, go on TRL, and make a bunch of music videos, then we wouldnt pay higher ticket prices. Ill take them the way they are thanks.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    Lets look at the money PJ makes outside of touring:

Avocado album-2 years ago
    that music video they made for it that rarely aired- 2 years ago
    promotion for new album-there is none, probably wont be anyway.

PJ makes almost all of their money from touring, and merchandise at the venues. Maybe if they decided to make PJ action figures, go on TRL, and make a bunch of music videos, then we wouldnt pay higher ticket prices. Ill take them the way they are thanks.

Almost all bands make their money touring. If bands made any money on Cd's then why are so many of them trying to figure out ways to distribute them themselves?
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    I seem to remember Pearl Jam championing low prices to allow everyone to attend their shows (and fighting Ticketmaster for service charges), but that simply is not the case anymore. Prices have basically doubled in the last eight years... and don't get me started on Eddie's solo tour.

Furthermore, the last few tours have been region centric - avoiding lower population areas in favor of multiple shows in large cities. Fans in more remote areas without the financial means to travel long distances are SOL (not Soldier of Love).

Finally, although on paper the tenclub "buy many shows" policy seems to promote freedom of choice... it is really geared towards the relatively small group of fans who can afford the time/money to follow the band on tour. This makes getting tickets tougher for locals and the policy really only seems to advantage the haves (and the band because they sell more tickets by getting these hardcore folks to follow them around).

I know that it's the fan's choice as to how they spend their money and no one is being forced to buy PJ tickets... I certainly don't blame the band for wanting to make more money, but given their previous stance, has their been any explanation for the gradual change towards this more exclusionary ticket policy?

That's it! I've had enough! Pearl Jam is a band. Pearl Jam is a business. Dozens of people work directly for the organization and depend on the business's solvency for their financial security. Scores more people depend on the band, indirectly, and other bands like it for their income. There is no longer any real money in recording and releasing albums. Nearly all the real money comes from touring, merch and royalties. Who in their right mind would go 500-800 miles out of the way to play a show in Decatur, Georgia when the largest arena there seats 9,000 and only 5,000 of those seats are gonna sell? Road crew still gets paid the same in the rinky-dink towns as it does in NYC.

Furthermore, I've had it with this "eat the rich" bullshit. I work very hard for my money and I can spend it going to as many fucking shows as I want. It's not my fault that others have chosen different financial paths than I have and cant afford to travel to see the band. It's a band not a fucking tent revival. In a perfect world I'm sure Pearl Jam would play all shows for free and do hundreds of private concerts in your living room every year but this is the real fucking world.

So, here's your options as I see them:

1. Get a better job

2. Move north

3. Become a Faith Hill fan

4. Shut the fuck up!
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Options
    I think there is a lot the above idea that the massive drop in record sales is forcing bands to make their money on the road. Add this to the quadrupling of gas prices from the early 90s and the overall spike in the cost of living (which affects crew members as much as it does you and me), you have a band that once charged $18 for tickets now having to charge $70 to make what they consider to be a "fair wage."

Another thing to bear in mind is that Pearl Jam made little to no money on their tours in the 90s (this is directly from an interview with Jeff Ament I read a few years ago). They could afford to take that "hit" when they were selling millions of records, but not anymore. You also have to keep in mind that these guys all have families they want to take care of too (just like you and me) and they want to be compensated for their hard work so they can take care of their loved ones now and in the future.

As far as them not touring certain markets, I think that sucks for people who live there, but the band has to make enough money to make the trip worth their while. As much as we like to think these guys are saints, they need to make money and apparently markets in certain pockets of this country (ex: the south and the southwest) are not cost effective for them to play.

While they are a band, they are also a business -- like it or not.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I don't really buy it.

Bands make about a dollar per cd, if they're lucky. All the rest of the money goes to others involved, such as the label.

I have a great article at home in an old issue of wire about how little downloading music actually effects a band, I should dig it up or see if I can find it online somewhere.

It is true bands make very little of the money that is paid for a CD. But at the same time PJ CD sales have gone down drastically. Ten sold over 9 million copies, VS around 6. "Pearl Jam" on the other hand sold about 700,000. So even if the band is only making a dollar per cd that is a huge amount of lost revenue (when at the same time their personal and business expenses are going up).

Personally I think it is kind of funny that people are complaining about ticket prices on an INTERNET message board. I mean if someone is in a position where raising ticket prices from $40-$70 could actually hurt them financially, maybe they should get rid of their internet connection. Or maybe they should use some of the time they spend posting message to look for or train for a higher paying job.
  • Options
    if pj charged me $300/ticket, i would still consider it a bargin....

Uhhhhh, let's not get too nuts here.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    we are paying for all the good that was done earlier by the band when they lost alot of money keeping tickets prices low and they had noone but themselves to take care of

now they have families and need money, so they are making up for all the years they missed out on the cash flow

it is, what it is

i will say i bought tickets to Ed's solo show, but 85 bucks a pop is a little steep for just him
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    It is true bands make very little of the money that is paid for a CD. But at the same time PJ CD sales have gone down drastically. Ten sold over 9 million copies, VS around 6. "Pearl Jam" on the other hand sold about 700,000. So even if the band is only making a dollar per cd that is a huge amount of lost revenue (when at the same time their personal and business expenses are going up).

Personally I think it is kind of funny that people are complaining about ticket prices on an INTERNET message board. I mean if someone is in a position where raising ticket prices from $40-$70 could actually hurt them financially, maybe they should get rid of their internet connection. Or maybe they should use some of the time they spend posting message to look for or train for a higher paying job.
    But, he wasn't complaining. He was just asking if the band had explained the rise in ticket prices. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    1994: cost of filling up my tank $30
    cost of PJ ticket around $30

2008: Cost of Filling up my tank $75
    Cost or PJ ticket $75

So a Pearl Jam ticket will always equal a tank of Gas!!!
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    BezdelnikBezdelnik Posts: 13
    Yikes, I'm getting my ass bit off. Let it be known that I live in Michigan, where I have had relatively easy access to all of the recent tours. Let it also be known that I have not had trouble getting/affording tickets. Furthermore, I am lazy and did not bother to look for other threads on the topic.

I was curious if there have been explanations for a number of policies that seem to make it more difficult for the average fan to see a show. This includes price increases, selectivity of venues and a fan club policy that makes it so large numbers of out of towners attend shows (presumably pushing back/out locals). I am troubled by measures that (to me) seem exclusionary and against the previous philosophy of the band.

I still love the band and its their prerogative to charge and do whatever the hell they want. I would certainly feel better about it, however, if they said they were using it for carbon offsetting, charity donating, etc.
    "You're all here and it shows that you have faith in us"
    - Detroit '06
  • Options
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    I was curious if there have been explanations for a number of policies that seem to make it more difficult for the average fan to see a show. This includes price increases, selectivity of venues and a fan club policy that makes it so large numbers of out of towners attend shows (presumably pushing back/out locals). I am troubled by measures that (to me) seem exclusionary and against the previous philosophy of the band.

all of the explanations are given here in the responses. the band has not gone against it's previous philosophy in the least- they keep ticket prices down, they make sure fans get the best seats. I thought that's always been their philosophy on these matters.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135

Cost or PJ ticket $75

That's not something I'd want my ticket prices to compare with. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Cost or PJ ticket $75

Or you could buy a more fuel efficient car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $75 to fill er up???
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    Yikes, I'm getting my ass bit off. Let it be known that I live in Michigan, where I have had relatively easy access to all of the recent tours. Let it also be known that I have not had trouble getting/affording tickets. Furthermore, I am lazy and did not bother to look for other threads on the topic.

I still love the band and its their prerogative to charge and do whatever the hell they want. I would certainly feel better about it, however, if they said they were using it for carbon offsetting, charity donating, etc.

Not to get too technical, but people who live in the heavily populated cities that get a lot of concerts are paying a premium to live in said cities.

When living in a less populated city, you usually pay less rent, and the cost of living is much less.

Many people choose to work in a city but live in the suburbs so that they can afford a better house/apartment, however, in exchange for the improved digs, they usually have a longer commute. This is tantamount to living in a small area and being faced with having to travel in order to see a band.

Most businesses will shut-down if their current location is doing poorly. In a sense, PJ has "shut-down" in some cities due to lack of demand. No matter how much they may care about their fans, it wouldn't make sense for them to play a show in an area where not enough people would show up.
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    Vedderegisele.jpg
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10