Options

An exclusionary ticket policy?

BezdelnikBezdelnik Posts: 13
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I seem to remember Pearl Jam championing low prices to allow everyone to attend their shows (and fighting Ticketmaster for service charges), but that simply is not the case anymore. Prices have basically doubled in the last eight years... and don't get me started on Eddie's solo tour.

Furthermore, the last few tours have been region centric - avoiding lower population areas in favor of multiple shows in large cities. Fans in more remote areas without the financial means to travel long distances are SOL (not Soldier of Love).

Finally, although on paper the tenclub "buy many shows" policy seems to promote freedom of choice... it is really geared towards the relatively small group of fans who can afford the time/money to follow the band on tour. This makes getting tickets tougher for locals and the policy really only seems to advantage the haves (and the band because they sell more tickets by getting these hardcore folks to follow them around).

I know that it's the fan's choice as to how they spend their money and no one is being forced to buy PJ tickets... I certainly don't blame the band for wanting to make more money, but given their previous stance, has their been any explanation for the gradual change towards this more exclusionary ticket policy?
"You're all here and it shows that you have faith in us"
- Detroit '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Your right!!

Don't listen anymore...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    how much has gas gone up in the last 8 years? ... you have to compare apples to apples ... what are other bands charging and what are you getting? ... 2+ hrs of (always start on time) pure energy rock experience ... what is radiohead or coldplay charging these days?
  • Options
    8 years ago, PJ ticket prices were ridiculously cheap. today, they're just cheap. then there's the whole "value" thing -- which is different from cost. the value you get from a PJ ticket is HUGE.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,747
    polaris wrote:
    how much has gas gone up in the last 8 years? ... you have to compare apples to apples ... what are other bands charging and what are you getting? ... 2+ hrs of (always start on time) pure energy rock experience ... what is radiohead or coldplay charging these days?

Radiohead is actually comparable to Pearl Jam. I paid $77 total for a decent seat for the 8/12/08 show in Camden. I agree that there are bands out there, though, that absolutely rape their audience. Pearl Jam and Radiohead don't.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    polaris wrote:

I agree, the price of everything has doubled. Gas, renting the trucks, renting the venues, the staff, etc. The costs have to get spread somehow. But I do agree that it has been a long time since they have played in certain areas of the country. I find it hard to beleive cities like New Orleans, Dallas, Pheonix, St Louis would not sell out. Ticket prices are goign to keep going up for everything, from concerts to sports.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    polaris wrote:

Coldplay: 74.50+14.55+3.00=92.05 for one ticket
    Radiohead: 53.00+11.15+6.00=70.15 for one ticket
    (no shipping charges included)

if pj charged me $300/ticket, i would still consider it a bargin....
    if you don't live where pj tours, move if it is that important to you. they can't come to all our living rooms :)

see this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=293759
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    I love these threads...here's my opinion...

Ticket prices have jumped a large amount. Sure some of that is travel, etc. but they are also limiting costs by only doing smaller regions and playing multiple nights in the same city. I think ticket prices are high for a band that use to preach about it and would cut down other bands for it. It's not as bad as it could be...but certainly you should walk your talk.

Also, as far as touring only big cities and the multiple nights...it does sadden me to see Pearl Jam's tour schedule resemble something from Madonna...but it makes sense as they get older and cost of travel increases.

All that said, it hasn't stopped me from seeing shows...just making me a bit more selective.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    This is not a thread about value of the show (which is obviously very high). Gas prices can certainly be used to explain part of the increase in price, but presumably they are saving a fair amount by playing one area at a time and avoiding long distances between shows. Furthermore, the prices have been raised consistently between tours (not a specific spike, for example, due to the recent rapid rise in gas prices). I'm just disappointed that one of the things I love about Pearl Jam (championing the have-nots) does not seem to be reflected in their ticket policy. I just wanted to know if their was some formal explanation from the band.
    - Detroit '06
  • Options
    Royals32Royals32 Posts: 160
    The Band DOES NOT owe anybody an explanation for anything. Music, sports, movies and any other entertainment are meant to be a distraction from real life. We all have issues - whether it's something as serious as chronic illness to something as simple as the elevators not working properly in your apartment building. When you go to a rock concert, flick on your ipod, open the paper to check on your favourite team or open up a Star magazine to read up the latest BS on your favourite movie star, it's supposed to be a temporary escape from reality. Forget about your problems and lose yourself for a few minutes/hours in whatever it is that turns your crank. Listening to people complain on here, in poster lineups, and at the will call line for 10C tickets make the whole Pearl Jam experience a lot less fun for everybody around you.

If you are so unhappy with the way this band has "treated" you, then go away.
    #==(o )

You are not your job.
    You are not how much money you have in the bank.
    You are not the car you drive.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your fucking khakis.
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    DeLukin wrote:
    Radiohead is actually comparable to Pearl Jam. I paid $77 total for a decent seat for the 8/12/08 show in Camden. I agree that there are bands out there, though, that absolutely rape their audience. Pearl Jam and Radiohead don't.

agreed.

compared to most bands, the tickets are not that much. And talk about greed, someone mentioned Madonna - who I read in aprevious article in Rolling Stone, has managers who keep a large block of tickets & sell them on ebay themselves, giving the profits to Madonna. So, her tickets already go for $200+ through ticketmaster. They were going for 1000+ on Ebay (all profit). Talk about a greedy slob.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    and don't get me started on Eddie's solo tour.F

oh please, by all means get started. what's your beef, charlie?
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    It's also certainly not about what Coldplay is charging... I have no idea what their ticket policies are or how they represent themselves to their fans.
    - Detroit '06
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    8 years ago, PJ ticket prices were ridiculously cheap. today, they're just cheap. then there's the whole "value" thing -- which is different from cost. the value you get from a PJ ticket is HUGE.

I agree with your comments.

Also, for everyone that is bashing the cost of ed's solo tour at $85+/- a ticket (including service charges) keep in mind Neil Young's show at Massey Hall earlier this year (Toronto) was $140 +/- for the top balcony. And do not forget how much the Stones, U2 and other top acts have been charging for years. Things are not getting cheaper out there with the cost of oil skyrocketing....
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    agreed.

compared to most bands, the tickets are not that much. And talk about greed, someone mentioned Madonna - who I read in aprevious article in Rolling Stone, has managers who keep a large block of tickets & sell them on ebay themselves, giving the profits to Madonna. So, her tickets already go for $200+ through ticketmaster. They were going for 1000+ on Ebay (all profit). Talk about a greedy slob.

You are being too kind when you describe madonna as a 'slob'. LOL
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    I seem to remember Pearl Jam championing low prices to allow everyone to attend their shows (and fighting Ticketmaster for service charges), but that simply is not the case anymore. Prices have basically doubled in the last eight years... and don't get me started on Eddie's solo tour.

Furthermore, the last few tours have been region centric - avoiding lower population areas in favor of multiple shows in large cities. Fans in more remote areas without the financial means to travel long distances are SOL (not Soldier of Love).

Finally, although on paper the tenclub "buy many shows" policy seems to promote freedom of choice... it is really geared towards the relatively small group of fans who can afford the time/money to follow the band on tour. This makes getting tickets tougher for locals and the policy really only seems to advantage the haves (and the band because they sell more tickets by getting these hardcore folks to follow them around).

I know that it's the fan's choice as to how they spend their money and no one is being forced to buy PJ tickets... I certainly don't blame the band for wanting to make more money, but given their previous stance, has their been any explanation for the gradual change towards this more exclusionary ticket policy?

i can understand your frustration. tix are expensive for sure and it bums me out that people are left out because of it or turned off by the band.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Royals32 wrote:
    The Band DOES NOT owe anybody an explanation for anything. Music, sports, movies and any other entertainment are meant to be a distraction from real life. We all have issues - whether it's something as serious as chronic illness to something as simple as the elevators not working properly in your apartment building. When you go to a rock concert, flick on your ipod, open the paper to check on your favourite team or open up a Star magazine to read up the latest BS on your favourite movie star, it's supposed to be a temporary escape from reality. Forget about your problems and lose yourself for a few minutes/hours in whatever it is that turns your crank. Listening to people complain on here, in poster lineups, and at the will call line for 10C tickets make the whole Pearl Jam experience a lot less fun for everybody around you.

If you are so unhappy with the way this band has "treated" you, then go away.

I didn't say an explanation was owed... I was curious if one had ever been made. And this is simply a discussion; I am not complaining. I certainly attend shows and the value is more than worth the money. No reason to get all defensive.
    - Detroit '06
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    This is not a thread about value of the show (which is obviously very high). Gas prices can certainly be used to explain part of the increase in price, but presumably they are saving a fair amount by playing one area at a time and avoiding long distances between shows. Furthermore, the prices have been raised consistently between tours (not a specific spike, for example, due to the recent rapid rise in gas prices). I'm just disappointed that one of the things I love about Pearl Jam (championing the have-nots) does not seem to be reflected in their ticket policy. I just wanted to know if their was some formal explanation from the band.

the market dictates the prices. that's it. listen, the band obviously has tour expenses and those expenses have gone up through the years. it costs the band more to play in certain places (MSG, for example), and the salaries of those employed by the band have increased as well.

life in general is more expensive than it used to be. drop your ideal of your favorite band "championing the have-nots" ... it's not realistic.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    PEPPER wrote:
    My $0.02.....when did downloading music really take off...I think I can say safely around 8 - 10 years ago.....with this new outlet bands made less money on album sales...so in turn they make a living by touring...that is why concert tickets have been on the up

excellent observation
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    agreed.

I mentioned Madonna in context of playing limited cities with multiple shows in the city...not her cost.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PEPPER wrote:
    My $0.02.....when did downloading music really take off...I think I can say safely around 8 - 10 years ago.....with this new outlet bands made less money on album sales...so in turn they make a living by touring...that is why concert tickets have been on the up

I agree with this and part of the reason why I've always been against stealing music.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    I mentioned Madonna in context of playing limited cities with multiple shows in the city...not her cost.

I wasn't referring to your post - Just using her as an example of high tickets prices & how EV's aren't that bad.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    Coldplay: 74.50+14.55+3.00=92.05 for one ticket
    Radiohead: 53.00+11.15+6.00=70.15 for one ticket
    (no shipping charges included)

if pj charged me $300/ticket, i would still consider it a bargin....
    if you don't live where pj tours, move if it is that important to you. they can't come to all our living rooms :)

see this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=293759

honestly ... $75 a ticket is not gouging ... it's the cost of doing business - i'm gonna assume that the people who have worked for the guys all these years are being taken care of accordingly; there is money going to a local charity for each show; that they are all pretty active socially and give back tons of that money; how can you begrudge the band for still charging one of the cheapest tickets around for the stature of the band and the type of show they put on ...

as for not playing other cities - i definitely feel for ya - they always come to my town ... and i definitely feel fortunate ... having said that - there hasn't been a full blown tour since 2006 ... they only played a handful of shows this mini-tour so, can't really complain if they didn't do a single show in the west coast (EV excluded) and have not been down under anywhere for an even longer time ...
  • Options
    I wasn't referring to your post - Just using her as an example of high tickets prices & how EV's aren't that bad.

If you want to be completely fair in comparing those prices though, you'll have to take a look at the cost of putting on the shows. I'm sure Madonna has quite the stage setup...dancers...many more trucks of equipment, etc...it's Ed on a stage with a guitar...so you can't compare them directly...

But, I certainly see AND agree with your overal point.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    polaris wrote:

as for not playing other cities - i definitely feel for ya - they always come to my town ... and i definitely feel fortunate ... having said that - there hasn't been a full blown tour since 2006 ... they only played a handful of shows this mini-tour so, can't really complain if they didn't do a single show in the west coast (EV excluded) and have not been down under anywhere for an even longer time ...

Not sure I'd call 2006 a full blown tour either. But I'll have to go bakc and look at the dates...didn't feel "full blown"...at least compared to a pre-2006 normal PJ tour schedule.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Bezdelnik wrote:
    Prices have basically doubled in the last eight years... and don't get me started on Eddie's solo tour.

These are 3,000 seat theatres. What do expect? Go to your local JUCO and take ECON 101. There is this crazy concept called supply and demand.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    These are 3,000 seat theatres. What do expect? Go to your local JUCO and take ECON 101. There is this crazy concept called supply and demand.

That is true...but I think the poster was comparing past ticket prices/policies to current. Despite huge demand with still limited supply (in the PJ heyday) they still kept tix ridiculously low. They also preached about it and made it a big point.

You don't hear that anymore...and it's a good thing, because they don't do that anymore.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    PEPPER wrote:

You hit the nail on the head, but not just because of Napster. Pearl Jam itself does not sell enough albums anymore (due to its music). Instead of having 5 people in the band to take care of, they all seem to have wives or significant others and some have kids. I don't fault them for upping the prices to pay for their increased expenses as well as to just increase their bank account. For $75 a ticket, they aren't hurting ours too much either, because if $75 is too muck for a ticket buyer, than so is $45.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    That is true...but I think the poster was comparing past ticket prices/policies to current. Despite huge demand with still limited supply (in the PJ heyday) they still kept tix ridiculously low. They also preached about it and made it a big point.

You don't hear that anymore...and it's a good thing, because they don't do that anymore.

Times have changed. It is a good thing. Ed's gotta fly back and forth from Hawaii somehow!
  • Options
    because if $75 is too muck for a ticket buyer, than so is $45.

The rest of your post makes sense...this last part does not. That's a big difference to many people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

I don't think the PJ shows doubling in price is that shocking either. Think about how much there costs of doing a show have increased. You can't charge $25 a ticket at MSG. You will lose money.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20