Options

u2

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited July 2023
    I always like reading the U2 thread here.  On the other place I read about music, if there is a U2 thread its all about how "U2 sucks", "Bono is a phony egomaniac", "The Edge can't play", etc.    I don't bother to respond.  If they haven't figured out by now that U2 influenced music in a big-way a long time ago, they'll never get it.  I'm not saying they need to be the kind of fans many of us are, but couldn't they could just talk about something else instead of being pricks about it?

Anyway, Kudos and thanks U2 fans. 
    U2, War LP tour, 6/1/83, at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium is on my top 10 (or better) list of favorite live shows.  It was fantastic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562
    brianlux said:
    I always like reading the U2 thread here.  On the other place I read about music, if there is a U2 thread its all about how "U2 sucks", "Bono is a phony egomaniac", "The Edge can't play", etc.    I don't bother to respond.  If they haven't figured out by now that U2 influenced music in a big-way a long time ago, they'll never get it.  I'm not saying they need to be the kind of fans many of us are, but couldn't they could just talk about something else instead of being pricks about it?

U2, War LP tour, 6/1/83, at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium is on my top 10 (or better) list of favorite live shows.  It was fantastic!
    Those '83  and '84 shows had a whole different vibe to them.
    The band was on the cusp of greatness and had an energy and an innocence they've never had since.
    Seeing them in the small halls and feeling like the roof was going to blow off was amazing.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The band was on the cusp of greatness and had an energy and an innocence they've never had since.
    Seeing them in the small halls and feeling like the roof was going to blow off was amazing.

Yeah, for sure!  The Civic was rocking that night!
    I wish I had heard about U2 a little earlier.  I know this guy named Paul who played guitar in a Bay Area band called The Young Doctors.  He was always up on the latest thing and got to see U2 on their first U.S. tour.  At that time, they were all but unknown in the states and played small clubs like you mentioned.  I ran into Paul a few days after he had seen U2 play this small venue on the second floor of a hotel in San Jose, CA.  He said the band was amazing, totally on fire, and the relatively small crowd watching the show were REALLY into it.  He said everybody was po-go dancing and that second story floor was bouncing up and down like a crazy.  Although he had a blast watching the show and dancing, he said was kind of freaked out, worried that the place might collapse.  I have often wondered how close U2- and people like my friend Paul- came to an early demise that night.  In any case, it must have been an exhilarating show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I wish I had heard about U2 a little earlier.  I know this guy named Paul who played guitar in a Bay Area band called The Young Doctors.  He was always up on the latest thing and got to see U2 on their first U.S. tour.  At that time, they were all but unknown in the states and played small clubs like you mentioned.  I ran into Paul a few days after he had seen U2 play this small venue on the second floor of a hotel in San Jose, CA.  He said the band was amazing, totally on fire, and the relatively small crowd watching the show were REALLY into it.  He said everybody was po-go dancing and that second story floor was bouncing up and down like a crazy.  Although he had a blast watching the show and dancing, he said was kind of freaked out, worried that the place might collapse.  I have often wondered how close U2- and people like my friend Paul- came to an early demise that night.  In any case, it must have been an exhilarating show!
    I feel lucky that I got to see them back then.
    I've seen at least 1 show on every U.S. tour back to the first one except for the Joshua Tree 30th.
    The tours previous to 83/84 were very raw with lots of intensity. But as far as I'm concerned it was 83/84 they really hit their stride. It was before arenas and stadiums. Like they knew they were on the verge of blowing up worldwide but just had to get there first.
    Joshua Tree did that.
    Not quite the same since then.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I've seen at least 1 show on every U.S. tour back to the first one except for the Joshua Tree 30th.
    The tours previous to 83/84 were very raw with lots of intensity. But as far as I'm concerned it was 83/84 they really hit their stride. It was before arenas and stadiums. Like they knew they were on the verge of blowing up worldwide but just had to get there first.
    Joshua Tree did that.
    I’m that boat saw them I believe in 81 by 83 it was full blown I have to see them every show! I tried I saw them at Stoneybrook College, The peir in Manhattan and flew out to California for the US festival to see them! Last time I saw them was November of 01 after the Towers went down @MSG
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,952
    edited July 2023
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Joshua Tree did that.
    I have seen them several times as well. My first time was in 1987 in Chicago for the Joshua Tree tour. That was the only time I saw them in an arena. Then it was all football stadiums. The last time I saw them was their most recent Joshua Tree tour - full circle. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    My first shows were 1985 on the UF tour and have seen them on every tour since, including the Amnesty International concert at Meadowlands in 86 (bono also dueted with a reunited Police on Invisible Sun that show). 30 shows and counting.
    The original ZooTV tour I think was their absolute peak. Groundbreaking show combined with the band at the absolute top of their game musically and physically. Saw 4 shows, 2 indoors and 2 outdoors. These Vegas shows will be the closest we'll ever get to reliving that.

https://youtu.be/tKnG06-oYcg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Joshua Tree did that.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Joshua Tree did that.
    I’m that boat saw them I believe in 81 by 83 it was full blown I have to see them every show! I tried I saw them at Stoneybrook College, The peir in Manhattan and flew out to California for the US festival to see them! Last time I saw them was November of 01 after the Towers went down @MSG

GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Joshua Tree did that.
    I have seen them several times as well. My first time was in 1987 in Chicago for the Joshua Tree tour. That was the only time I saw them in an area. Then is was all football stadiums. The last time I saw them was their most recent Joshua Tree tour - full circle. 

Very nice, all.  True fans!

• Options
    Love reading all these recollections!
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    My first shows were 1985 on the UF tour and have seen them on every tour since, including the Amnesty International concert at Meadowlands in 86 (bono also dueted with a reunited Police on Invisible Sun that show). 30 shows and counting.
    The original ZooTV tour I think was their absolute peak. Groundbreaking show combined with the band at the absolute top of their game musically and physically. Saw 4 shows, 2 indoors and 2 outdoors. These Vegas shows will be the closest we'll ever get to reliving that.

https://youtu.be/tKnG06-oYcg
    Yes I was at that meadowlands show too and saw them a couple of times on the UF tour 
  • Options
    Love reading all these recollections!
    One of my fave recollections is seeing them at Radio City.
    I was lucky to have pulled a single front row center seat during the initial on-sale but if you know RCMH it's not necessarily that close.
    It was an amazing experience in a historical venue.
    What stands out is a fan made it on stage and rather than being tackled by security and tossed Bono hugged him and sat him on a monitor for the rest of the song and then back into the crowd he went.
  • Options
    The ending of the song "Gloria" from October still give me the same euphoric chills after all these years.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    The ending of the song "Gloria" from October still give me the same euphoric chills after all these years.
    That’s the song that got me onto them I can remember watching the video! I was wtf who are these guys 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    That’s the song that got me onto them I can remember watching the video! I was wtf who are these guys 

It's hard to believe that so was long ago.  Look how young they were!
    U2  News  October when the trees are stripped bare

• Options
    ...and today.  WHAT?! Time flies!
    U2 recognised for contribution to American culture at awards - BBC News

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The Edge with hair 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The Edge with hair 

LOL
    Larry Mullen Jr in that photo looks like a kid!  Reminds me somewhat of The Replacements' Tommy Stinson when they were a young band:

New definitive bio reveals the rowdy Replacements

• Options
    brianlux said:
    That video got a lot of airplay in the earliest days of MTV. Love the song & video.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    That video got a lot of airplay in the earliest days of MTV. Love the song & video.
    Yeah I’m hoping they break it out the night I’m seeing them! 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,290
    edited August 2023

Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    super excited about the sphere venue

• Options
    super excited about the sphere venue

I saw a show in a planetarium once (Sun Ra and the Solar Arkestra) and it was more dome like and obviously smaller, but not a lot different in shape and the sound was amazing! So a larger spherical venue like that I imagine would be pretty amazing.  Hope you get to go!

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    One of my favorite bands ever. Grew up as a kid listening to my Dad play those early records all the way up to Rattle & Hum. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    45 days for me till I see them in Vegas.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    45 days for me till I see them in Vegas.
    Can’t wait to hear your review my show is not till December 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,279
    I haven't listened to a lot of U2 in recent years -- I'll blame it on iPods and all that modern technology, meaning, I own the CDs but when I go for a run I just have the music I purchase on my phone available... never mind.

Anyway, recently I've been trying to bring an older friend up to speed on 20th- and 21st-century music. (I think she knows the Beatles and ABBA, and that's basically it.  I introduced her to "Bohemian Rhapsody" the other day, and she thinks Freddie Mercury is a genius.) As a result I've been killing a lot of time on YouTube. I sent her a sampling of U2 the other day, and I have to say, "Pride (In the Name of Love)" remains an astonishing song nearly forty (!) years later. (Also, damn, I'm old.)

Bono might be rather full of himself, and there are those tax questions, but I'd never, ever, slag on U2 the band. And even though this is a PJ board, and I love PJ, I'll stand solidly by my assertion that "Achtung Baby" is the best album of the 1990s. It's just about perfect. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
      And even though this is a PJ board, and I love PJ, I'll stand solidly by my assertion that "Achtung Baby" is the best album of the 1990s. It's just about perfect. 

You won't get any argument from me on that point.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep.
    I'm sure the line nazis will try and circumvent the process (the U2 line folks are way worse than the PJ line folks could ever dream of being). But I like the idea of grabbing a band in the morning, going about my day winning countless riches in the casino and returning for show time.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,270
    One of the Vancouver U2 shows I went too, I think on the All that you can't leave behind tour.  It was self run by fans, and I think we had a low enough # to get to the pit at the front, but the line wrapped up around itself like an upside down U, so when the venue opened, the people at the back were right beside the people at the front, and just hopped over the fence, so we didn't get in the pit.

Veritgo tour was a random scan of your ticket and we got in that year.

Saw Edmonton on the 360 tour, and it was civil.  I guess Albertan's don't line up.  We showed up around 4:30 and got into the pit section.

It really is a shame there isn't a better to way to do GA so you people don't line up all day or multiple days.   But I guess it's just saving fans from themselves.. lol.