Options

***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    some of the best shows they"ve played have been south baby. Its been a while since i posted my thoughts-thanks man for upsetting what was a great day.

The South is also increasingly diverse -- racially, economically and politically.

First of all, ma'am would have been the correct term. Secondly, the south is not known for embracing liberal thinking.

While you may love PJ...I highly doubt the political conservatives in charge will greet them with open arms. I can just imagine the picketing and negative news headlines that would run rampant! Do you think they could get away with any protest/anti Bush songs or comments unscathed?
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    JTRJTR Posts: 347
    All of that's important and keeps this country eventually headed in the right direction.

Welcome to America.

It's exactly why Pearl Jam should and will play the South.
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    Juberoo wrote:
    First of all, ma'am would have been the correct term. Secondly, the south is not known for embracing liberal thinking.

While you may love PJ...I highly doubt the political conservatives in charge will greet them with open arms. I can just imagine the picketing and negative news headlines that would run rampant! Do you think they could get away with any protest/anti Bush songs or comments unscathed?

You ma'am, are being ridiculous.

I believe the last time they played down here some remarks were made about Bush and there was cheering and booing. Hold on...I remember that happening across the nation, not just in the South. If I am right a large group of people walked out of a show in Denver. That isn't in the South in case you were wondering.

Do you really believe people would picket and them playing would make the front page of the news?? I get more frustrated as I type this. Everyone down in the South is just as tired of this administration and the war as the rest of the country. And don't give your state too much credit. Ohio was the swing state that gave Bush his victory last election. Way to go.

The last time they played Pensacola they gave proceeds from the show to a pro-abortion charity. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT HAPPENING IN THE SOUTH WHERE ALL OF US TOOTHLESS REDNECK CHRISTIAN FREAKS LIVE! I bet there was picketing and it was all over the news and they got booed off-stage. Hold on....none of that happened. The show sold out and it was a great show.

It is hard to believe there are still so many uneducated people in this nation that live their lives basing all their thoughts are stereotypes. Hold on again...no it is not hard to believe at all, it is just sad.

Oh yeah, good morning everyone. Please play the South.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Juberoo wrote:

lmao....oh yes maam, when I think of liberal thinking, Ohio just pops right into my head! you have no idea how ignorant you sound.

its okay though, every once in awhile, someone such as yourself comes through here and tries to bring us down, but in case you haven't noticed, we're still here and we're not leaving.

Pearl Jam has played here MANY times before and Pearl Jam will be back.

in the mean time, stop thinking in generalities and sterotypes, it just makes you look pathetic.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:

You do really need to go down to the clue store and buy at least one of the little suckers. The South is not a police state. The majority of our state legislatures are controlled by DEMOCRATS. At least in Alabama, the majority of the local leaders are also DEMOCRATS.

Where did PJ get flack for playing "Bushleaguer" in 2003? The previously mentioned Denver and Long Island, NY.....not exactly the South in my book.

One day soon, we hope to welcome you to reality..........see you then.

PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    Your hostile responses are exactly why people have the opinion of the south that they do.

I do have to ask though....why do YOU think PJ won't play the south?

Maybe a gentle reminder of what happened to Dixie Chicks who spoke openly about their political stance will help you form a conclusion.

But since this isn't my battle, I will humbly take my leave of this discussion.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:
    Your hostile responses are exactly why people have the opinion of the south that they do.

I do have to ask though....why do YOU think PJ won't play the south?..........

well shucks, i reckon that thur purl jam wont play the south no mo on accounta weez all jes a buncha inbred redneck unedumacated truck drivin shotgun totin hillbillies livin in rusted out trailers with our american flags flyin and one of them thur shrine thangies in our living rooms builded up for jorge W bush, the greatest american parsident that thur ever was!!!

buh bye now!
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    Wow not even going to comment on all of that...here's my response

P T S
    P T S
    P T S
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    lukin321 wrote:
    Wow not even going to comment on all of that...here's my response

P T S
    P T S
    P T S

lol, well of course play the south, isn't that what this whole thing is about?
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Juberoo wrote:

Maybe a gentle reminder of what happened to Dixie Chicks who spoke openly about their political stance will help you form a conclusion.

the dixie chicks had to cancel tour dates all over the country due to lack of ticket sales, not just in the south. it's not like they're burning up the world and are a huge raging success everywhere except the south....

aw fuck it. why do i bother?

how do you do mrs wiley?
    can i have the next dance?
    coffee tea or punch thank you....

you ain't seen the last of ernest t bass!

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    the dixie chicks had to cancel tour dates all over the country due to lack of ticket sales, not just in the south. it's not like they're burning up the world and are a huge raging success everywhere except the south....

aw fuck it. why do i bother?

how do you do mrs wiley?
    can i have the next dance?
    coffee tea or punch thank you....

you ain't seen the last of ernest t bass!

lmao

pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts pts
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    Juberoo wrote:

Please explain what you thought the response would be when you put down a large group of people based on stereotypes?

I don't feel like any of the responses were hostile. I think the responses were defensive since you attacked everyone with one broad stroke.

In fact there is one thing the south is known for throughout the world, and that is southern hospitality. If you want to experience it, you should apologize and watch how nice we can be.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    Juberoo wrote:

I saw no hostility....just decent folks correcting a world view that was more fictional than factual. The Dixie Chicks is irrelevant to this discussion. It was the radio corporations that manufactured the supposed "backlash" against the chicks.

PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Juberoo wrote:

The reason you received some "gentle" hostility (and it was much more gentle than what you probably deserved) was a direct response to your uneducated tossing around of stereotypes. I encourage you to educate yourself more.

More importantly people............... Lurkerpalooza continues through tomorrow. All lurkers should feel free to post and declare your love for PJ and your desire to see them make a triumphant return to The South.

PLAY THE SOUTH
    just say no to ignorant stereotypes
    Brian
  • Options
    NCBRI wrote:
    More importantly people............... Lurkerpalooza continues through tomorrow. All lurkers should feel free to post and declare your love for PJ and your desire to see them make a triumphant return to The South.

PLAY THE SOUTH
    just say no to ignorant stereotypes
    Lurkers.............come to the light.........We really are good people. :)

PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    if this wont do it, i give up

I have been planning out
    All that I'd say to you
    Since you slipped away
    Know that I still remain true
    I've been wishin' out the days
    Please say that if you hadn't have gone now
    I wouldn't have lost you another way
    From wherever you are
    Oh oh oh oh
    Come back
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    Pts
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Pushin dis here thread back to da top of this here web thingy (have to fit the stereotype).

liked post from page or two ago..... "if it keeps on rainin, levees gonna break....if it keeps on rainainin the levees gonna break...if the levee breaks, I've got not place to stay..."

in Houston..been raining for couple months straight...OHHH let it rain today....this city's so filthy...like my mind someways...

wooo hoooooo
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    daystar143daystar143 Posts: 367
    some of the best shows they"ve played have been south baby. Its been a while since i posted my thoughts-thanks man for upsetting what was a great day.

~Just try. Try to name a part of the country -- or the world, for that matter --that's done more for music in the last 150 years than these Southern United States.

We birthed the blues. We launched rock 'n' roll. We've been the seat of gospel, the bastion of bluegrass, the home to the world's hottest hip-hop. We've dug deep down to our Nappy Roots, fostered Stephen Foster, screamed "Sweet Home Alabama" and gotten straight-up Ludacris, from Memphis to Mobile to Uncle Tupelo.

Southern music encompasses all kinds of styles, yet it hangs together as a coherent genre. Nobody's ever heard of New England music or Midwestern music, but down here we know that rock can have soul and rap can be country, and even wimpy folk can count so long as it's got Carolina in its mind. Southern music's more of a sensibility than a sound.

The South is about big ideas (like pain and redemption) and small pleasures (like the look of grandma's hands). The South is also increasingly diverse -- racially, economically and politically.

If our music has a common thread, it's the thread of hope -- hope that this mystical land won't lose all that's made it special and that it's not too proud to admit when it's wrong. Those are some big challenges. But they're nothing the music can't handle.

Peace you southern PJ freaks.

I came late to this post, a couple of hectic weeks at work, but thank you for making my Friday afternoon. The South is my home and no matter how far I travel, no other place will be as lovely or welcoming. For someone who is looking to return to her hometown after a many year absence, truly, I will experience pain, redemption, and the memory of my grandmother's hands...tatting a lace border for a dress she made for me.

Indeed, there is nothing the music can't handle and no where else that I would rather be.
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    no......seriously
    Brian
  • Options
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    tybird wrote:
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !

If PJam announced a world tour in 2008 and skipped "the South" again, would you completely freak out and give up on them or would you travel??

Just curious (not tryin to bust your balls!!)
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    THE SOUTH ABIDES
    until new shit comes to light
    Brian
  • Options
    If PJam announced a world tour in 2008 and skipped "the South" again, would you completely freak out and give up on them or would you travel??

Just curious (not tryin to bust your balls!!)
    We would march on PJ headquarters!!!!!!! ;)

PTS
    PTS
    PTS
    PTS

P
    l
    a
    y

t
    h
    e

S
    o
    u
    t
    h
    !
    !
    !