***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    daystar143 wrote:
    Top of the mornin' to you, too!

Thanks for your sweet words yesterday. We won at trial. It meant the difference between losing careers and dreams for three lovely young women. After it was over, we all cried and cried...then I went home and slept for HOURS!

More human today, but still in need of lots of coffee!!!!

Hugs,
    Day

Well, congrats to you! I'm glad it went well for you all. Celebrate!

PLAY THE SOUTH and TALK TO US please
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Grits and scrambled eggs.......two great tastes that go great together.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Beautiful evening, went into the pool for the first time.... Mmmmmmm.... nice.

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Im faithfull

No, seriously, that's what it says beneath my name so it must be true.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    we'll leave the light on
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    Im faithfull

No, seriously, that's what it says beneath my name so it must be true.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    we'll leave the light on
    If that's the case............how come I have not "Gone" yet? :D:D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • gardenlovergardenlover Posts: 185
    SHRIMP AND GRITS BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is for all my southern bros and sis's
    where else can you find grits anyway?

1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined*

1 cup heavy cream

2 cups water

1 1/2 cups hot stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable)

1/4 cup butter

Salt and black pepper to taste

1 cup stone-ground grits**

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

6 bacon slices

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons finely chopped green or red bell pepper

* Add add flavor, place the shells of the shrimp in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over low heat approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the broth, discarding shells. Add shrimp broth to hot stock.

** If using quick-cooking grits (not instant, reduce cream to 1/2 cup and reduce stock to 1 cup.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cream water, and hot stock; bring to a gentle boil. Add butter salt, and pepper. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly (so that the grits do not settle to the bottom and scorch), until all are added; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (be careful not to scorch mixture), or until the grits are tender.

NOTE: Grits should have absorbed all of the liquid and become soft and should have the same consistency as oatmeal (moist, not dry). If the grits become too thick, add warm stock or water to thin. remove from heat.

Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice, salt, and pepper; set aside. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown but not crisp. Remove from heat and pat dry with paper towels; set aside. Coarsely chop bacon when cool. Reserve 4 tablespoons bacon grease in the frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and green or red bell pepper; saute 10 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add shrimp mixture and bacon; saute 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp are opaque in center (cut to test). Remove from heat.

To serve, spoon hot grits onto individual serving plates and top with shrimp mixture.

Makes 4 servings.

peace you people
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
    SHRIMP AND GRITS BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is for all my southern bros and sis's
    where else can you find grits anyway?

1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined*

1 cup heavy cream

2 cups water

1 1/2 cups hot stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable)

1/4 cup butter

1 cup stone-ground grits**

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

6 bacon slices

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons finely chopped green or red bell pepper

* Add add flavor, place the shells of the shrimp in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over low heat approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the broth, discarding shells. Add shrimp broth to hot stock.

** If using quick-cooking grits (not instant, reduce cream to 1/2 cup and reduce stock to 1 cup.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cream water, and hot stock; bring to a gentle boil. Add butter salt, and pepper. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly (so that the grits do not settle to the bottom and scorch), until all are added; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (be careful not to scorch mixture), or until the grits are tender.

NOTE: Grits should have absorbed all of the liquid and become soft and should have the same consistency as oatmeal (moist, not dry). If the grits become too thick, add warm stock or water to thin. remove from heat.

Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice, salt, and pepper; set aside. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown but not crisp. Remove from heat and pat dry with paper towels; set aside. Coarsely chop bacon when cool. Reserve 4 tablespoons bacon grease in the frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and green or red bell pepper; saute 10 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add shrimp mixture and bacon; saute 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp are opaque in center (cut to test). Remove from heat.

To serve, spoon hot grits onto individual serving plates and top with shrimp mixture.

Makes 4 servings.

peace you people

so very cool of you to share...

I wonder if the members of Pearl Jam get excited that it is Friday... do they have a sense of the "work week" and "weekend". I would guess not. Lucky them.

Well, Happy Friday all.

Going to Highlands Biological Center in North Carolina for the weekend...class trip...looking for birds, salamanders and mammals.....and some hot, fresh grits!!!
    That sounds cool.

This weekend is Prom for my Senior son... he's a boy so mucho easy... I never went to mine... was too much of a hippie...

Airconditioning broke at work... am going home...whew!

• lug nutlug nut Posts: 11
    hey Spalma -

working at the high school and took our student gov't leaders to a 2 hour lunch - nice - but now back in the office - so, how did you get your AC to break - (i am ready to go to get out of here and head over to the french broad river festival - outside of Asheville - good music again this year).

- congrats to your son. Fla. sounds too hot for a show - f-it, just Play the South!

have a good weekend my friend - say hello to your parnter in crime for me.
    lug nut wrote:
    hey Spalma -

working at the high school and took our student gov't leaders to a 2 hour lunch - nice - but now back in the office - so, how did you get your AC to break - (i am ready to go to get out of here and head over to the french broad river festival - outside of Asheville - good music again this year).

- congrats to your son. Fla. sounds too hot for a show - f-it, just Play the South!

have a good weekend my friend - say hello to your parnter in crime for me.

LUGGGGG-GGGYYY! How the hell are you!!! You must be winding down for the summer... any great plans?

check you pms :)

• play dallas!!!
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Florida Florida Florida! I hope eventually we get an OFFICIAL "no" or "stay tuned" well, still love em' anyway. Trying to keep the faith in Florida!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
    Opps! Forgot I was logged in as Ty, not Daystar! I can't do the icons like he can....

Goodnight to all. It's boring here at the Phoenix House without Ty around and I've already done the internet shopping thing....Victoria's Secret bill just went up. Guess I'll give up and get some sleep!

Ya'll have a great weekend!

Always,
    Daystar
    tybird wrote:
    Opps! Forgot I was logged in as Ty, not Daystar! I can't do the icons like he can....

Goodnight to all. It's boring here at the Phoenix House without Ty around and I've already done the internet shopping thing....Victoria's Secret bill just went up. Guess I'll give up and get some sleep!

Ya'll have a great weekend!

Always,
    Daystar

Oooo-Hoooo! Ty's going to be a happy man!! enjoy!

So how did I miss the movie "Singles" the first time around. Saw it last night... great period piece, and a lighthearted approach to Pearl Jam. I had no clue what to expect, other than it was loosely based on PJ/Seattle/Movement of the moment. Was wonderfully surprised to see somuch of the boys (and all the others). And gotta love Cameron Crowe... It is my new favorite. Def gonna buy that movie.

Whoa! page 3 - unacceptable

bump

SPALMA wrote:
    Whoa! page 3 - unacceptable

bump

ditto page 2

SPALMA wrote:
    So how did I miss the movie "Singles" the first time around. Saw it last night... great period piece, and a lighthearted approach to Pearl Jam. I had no clue what to expect, other than it was loosely based on PJ/Seattle/Movement of the moment. Was wonderfully surprised to see somuch of the boys (and all the others). And gotta love Cameron Crowe... It is my new favorite. Def gonna buy that movie.

I get the "warm fuzzies" whenever I watch Singles. Its like a time warp to 1992. Yes, Crowe is the man. The good news is you can usually find the movie in the bargain bin at your local retail places. I bought it for $7 I think.

PLAY THE SOUTH
    while were young?
    Brian
  • aggietomaggietom Posts: 26
    I know this is terrible to say, but I think this is a lost cause.

That said, play Texas -- and play Houston twice.
    aggietom wrote:
    I know this is terrible to say, but I think this is a lost cause.

That said, play Texas -- and play Houston twice.

Depends on the cause. Most of us aren't expecting anything to happen this year now. Even if it isn't this year.........just come back and play the south. Maybe next year. The sooner the better.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    until PJ comes knocking at the door
    because they happened to be nowhere near our neighborhood
    Brian
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    Hearing a lot of rumblings here? Spalma you?
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    By the way Ty Phoenix, I was told not to divulge the location of the Wings, if that's any consolation. And I agree, It's BULLSHIT.
    SPALMA wrote:
    Oooo-Hoooo! Ty's going to be a happy man!! enjoy!
    Doin' the happy dance as I type.....:D
    JTR wrote:
    By the way Ty Phoenix, I was told not to divulge the location of the Wings, if that's any consolation. And I agree, It's BULLSHIT.
    Cool grits............:D
    JTR wrote:
    Hearing a lot of rumblings here? Spalma you?

I've been underwater... can't hear a thing.

15ft surf expected in the next 3 days... (my son is beside himself). going to the beach after work this evening - just to check it out.

JTR wrote:

Why on earth, would they suppress that !??!

b u m p

SPALMA wrote:
    Why on earth, would they suppress that !??!
    Kind of fits the recent M.O. of this operation, doesn't it?? :D:D
    At least that's some closure to the bat wings question.

BTW.......anyone see the SNL in the 90's special that was on last night? Showed a couple clips of PJ singing appropriately enough "Not For You".

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    its hard when your stuck upon the shelf
    Brian