Options

***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• Options
    yeah, bring it on. early 2006 is perfect b/c it won't be 1000 degrees.
    4.FOOTSTEPS
    Tampa x 3, West Palm, Kissimmee, Vegas
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    bump for dennis rodman not dropping ed from 8 feet off the ground, which he almost did....and for the single slushy theory...

07/05/98 - Reunion Arena: Dallas, TX [115m]
    support act: Murder City Devils
    soundcheck: Hard to Imagine, MFC, Last Exit, Faithfull, Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy, Off He Goes
    set: Sometimes, Last Exit, Brain of J, Hail Hail, Given to Fly, In Hiding, (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Go, MFC, Wishlist, Rearviewmirror, Pilate, Alive, Spin the Black Circle, Off He Goes, Even Flow, Daughter/(Mother)/(Monkey Gone to Heaven), Mankind, Do the Evolution
    enc: Jeremy, Immortality, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Sonic Reducer (w/ Murder City Devils)
    notes: Dennis Rodman makes an appearance during 'Hail Hail' and is in attendance for much of the show, smiling and occasionally singing. Ed sits in his lap for 'Wishlist,' and Ed and Rodman take turns pouring wine in each other's mouths. With audience seating behind the stage, PJ turns and faces the back, playing to them during 'RVM.' During 'Alive,' Ed gets on Rodman's shoulders. Eventually, PJ convinces Rodman to just watch and sit on the stool that Jeff uses while he's playing the stand up bass. Later, he is kicked off the stage before 'Off He Goes' when Jeff needs his stool for the stand up bass, although before he leaves, he adds chorus backing vocals to 'Spin' via Stone's mic. The 'Daughter' tag, 'Mother,' is a John Lennon cover ("Mother you had me, but I never had you"). During the first encore, Ed announces "This song is a B-side I'm sure no one here has ever heard," then goes into 'Jeremy.' 'Better Man' is dedicated to "a special person in my life who knows who he is," and right before a phenomenal version of 'Sonic Reducer,' Ed says he "admired Rodman for what he's done and where he came from." Ed takes to all four corners of the stage to wave to fans. On the last corner, Rodman grabs Ed again and runs him around the stage. The band is, again, in good form. Depending on who you talk to, Rodman either detracted from or enhanced the show.
    poster

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    sweet home alabama

play that dead bands song

turn the speakers up full blast

play it all night long
  • Options
    bump for "satan's methods university" and angel.....

11/12/93 - Moody Coliseum, SMU: Dallas, TX [100m]
    support act: Butthole Surfers
    set: Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Even Flow, Sick o' Pussies/Deep, Jeremy, Why Go, poetry reading/Glorified G, Daughter/(The Real Me), Go, Animal, Oceans, State of Love and Trust, Alive
    enc 1: Blood, Dissident, Sonic Reducer, Improv (Don't Think You Trust Me?), Rockin' in the Free World
    enc 2: Garden, Porch
    enc 3: Angel
    notes: King's X joins PJ for 'RitFW.' 'Angel' makes a rare setlist appearance, performed on the drum riser with only Dave on guitar and Ed singing

• Options
    bump for the ramones and nearly being trampled in the 100 degree heat during last exit...last pj pit i was ever in...last MAJOR pit i was ever in....

09/16/95 - South Park Meadows: Austin, TX [135m]
    attendance: 27,000
    support act: The Ramones
    soundcheck: Rats, Jeremy
    set: Act of Love, Go, Last Exit, Long Road (teaser), Animal, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Jeremy (new-teaser), Lukin, Not for You, Elderly Woman, Why Go, Even Flow, Dissident, Daughter/(Improv)/(W.M.A), State of Love and Trust, Rearviewmirror, I Got Shit, Immortality, Black, Spin the Black Circle, Alive
    enc 1: Once, Sonic Reducer, Leaving Here, Better Man, Talk About the Passion, Whipping, Porch
    enc 2: Indifference
    comments: At some point during The Ramones' set someone comes out, jumping around in a dress and a mask with a "Gabba Gabba Hey" sign. Okay, Ed - nice try on the disguise. At the start of PJ's set, Ed takes the stage grinning and wearing a heavy jacket on this terribly hot day. Immediately after 'Act of Love,' the jacket is gone. The show is paused briefly after 'Last Exit' to "get everybody up" and everyone is encouraged to "take two steps back." A surprise song, R.E.M.'s 'Talk About the Passion,' is played during the first encore

• Options
    bump for the LO2L version of black...well, ok, the second half...the half with the solo....for the number 23, and for being in the venue to watch them practice 'no way' for about 20 minutes.....

08/31/98 - Hardee's Walnut Creek Amphitheatre: Raleigh, NC [117m]
    attendance: 18,445
    support act: Mudhoney
    soundcheck: Soldier of Love, Driven to Tears, Hard to Imagine, No Way (several times), Mankind, In My Tree (1/2 without vocals)
    set: Sometimes, Corduroy, Animal, Given to Fly, Tremor Christ, Hail Hail, Not for You, Habit, Wishlist, Even Flow, Daughter/(Beginning to See the Light), Footsteps, Immortality, Brain of J, Faithfull, Go, Jeremy, Alive
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, State of Love and Trust, Black, Elderly Woman, Better Man
    enc 2: Soldier of Love
    notes: Mike and Ed are in particularly great spirits. 'Corduroy' features a great Townshend leap by Ed with his white Gibson SG. The 'Wishlist' lyrics include "I wish friends would always be friends until the bitter end." Ed notes, "We've been tryin' to feel y'all out ... we think you can handle this," introducing 'Footsteps.' During 'Brain of J,' a someone in the third row passes out and while everyone is helping her, Ed is watching throughout the whole song (not dancing) to make sure she is OK. He even throws one of his water bottles out to one of her friends for her and comments, ""We've got people passing out up here ... I can only imagine what its like in the back" (big roar from back of the lawn). 'Faithfull' is dedicated to the people in the back. Mike tears the stage up on 'Go,' playing the entire solo for about a minute with the guitar behind his head and seems to get stuck near the edge of the stage and a bed of speakers, prompting Stone to ask if he had gotten stuck! Upon returning for the first encore (Ed sporting a 'blonde era' Lou Reed shirt), the crowd cheers wildly and Ed says, "Aww, you probably say that to all the bands. You're probably the same assholes that were cheering Dave Matthews here last night!" During 'State', Mike starts doing laps around the stage and Ed turns his mic to follow him. On his second lap Ed nails him with a shoulder and almost knocks him down and changes the lyrics to refer to Mike ("help him from himself"). Ed tells a humorous tale about the Mudhoney show the previous night in Chapel Hill, where he bought a beer for some guys standing by him and heard one of them say "I'm under" to which he said "Don't worry, man, I got you covered." He thought the guys were short on cash but they were saying they were underage. The two guys got dragged out of the show halfway through because some "celebrity asshole" (Ed calls himself that) got them in trouble. Ed calls them "poor fuckers" then says he made it up to them and they had backstage passes and definitely had beers in their hands right now! 'Better Man' is dedicated to Michael Jordan, with Ed just referencing someone in a light blue jersey, with number 23. Before the last encore, Ed looks at the crowd and mouths "fucking awesome." Once again, Ed brings a fan onstage for the final encore and has him hold his song book while he sings 'Soldier of Love.'
    poster

• Options
    bump for mail order 10c tickets, and the first show i'd seen (out of four) i didn't have to fly to....still it was a 5 hour drive....and for footsteps

10/05/96 - North Charleston Coliseum: Charleston, SC [130m]
    attendance: 9,000
    support act: The Fastbacks
    soundcheck: In My Tree, Off He Goes, Mankind
    set: Sometimes, Last Exit, Animal, Go, Hail Hail, Dissident, In My Tree, Corduroy, Better Man, Not for You, Jeremy, Black, State of Love and Trust, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, Alive, Blood/(Fame)
    enc: Present Tense, Even Flow, Daughter, Improv, Off He Goes, Mankind, Whipping, Footsteps, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: The venue is smallish; the crowd and staff are kind and not killing each other here. PJ takes a while to warm up, not really smoking until midway into the show. During a pause near the end of 'Not for You,' Ed asks, "How we doin' so far?" (crowd cheers) "You don't seem so bad yourself." A rocking 'State' is intro'ed as "... a little number by request." During 'Habit,' Ed pauses, looks out and says, "Speaking as an individual in a band who has never been in this town before." Taking a break after 'Go,' Ed jokes about how when he was a kid he always thought seeing bands on the last night of a tour was great because they would be happy the tour is over and they would be "... drinking and dancing in the street, and they're playing really loud and it's gonna be a four-hour show ..." etc.; but he says that really the second to the last show is the best, and the crowd goes wild! With Ed's voice showing fatigue, he enlists audience assistance ("Want you ... HELP ME! ... in my ... rearviewmirror"). 'Present Tense' is explained as a song that Mike wrote great music for and Ed, when coming up with lyrics, "... needed anything ... anything to make me think. Just a starting point ... so I thought of Pete Townshend. I took his initials and this one is called 'Present Tense.'" Ed plays a brief improv (?) after 'Daughter,' about taking a drive to South Carolina and picking up his best friend. 'Whipping' is dedicated to the crazy people in the front. The audience selects the next song via an "experiment in voting in November." The choices are 'Leash' ("kinda Bob Dole"), 'Leaving Here' (kinda Ross Perot) or 'Footsteps' ("that would be Bill Clinton"). 'Footsteps' is played. Ed's final comments are, "I don't know if it's easy to like this band, but we sure appreciate the fact that you do."

• Options
    bump for the most emotional show i've ever witnessed, of any kind....and for it's ok, the greatest version of the greatest tag ever....

08/03/00 - GTE Virginia Beach Amphitheater: Virginia Beach, VA
    attendance: 20,000
    support act: Sonic Youth
    soundcheck/rehearsal 8/2: Corduroy (partial), Of The Girl, Wishlist (partial), Light Years, Insignificance, Faithful (partial, about 3/4 of the song), Thin Air, Immortality (instrumental), Sleight of Hand, Evacuation, Grievance, Grievance (instrumental), Breakerfall, Parting Ways, God's Dice, Pilate, Timeless Melody, MFC, Present Tense (instrumental)
    set: Long Road, Corduroy, Grievance, God's Dice, Animal, Nothing As It Seems, Given To Fly, Even Flow, MFC, Wishlist, Off He Goes, Daughter/(It's OK) [by Dead Moon], Better Man, Thin Air, Insignificance, Rearviewmirror, Porch
    enc 1: Do The Evolution, Light Years, Black, Elderly Woman, Sleight of Hand, Go
    enc 2: Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: Many lyrical changes tonight, including: 'Long Road' - "I have wished for so long, how I wish for them today"; 'Cordoroy' - "Absolutely everything's changed"; 'Grievance' - I just wanna be, I swear to God I can be, I will be alive as long as I am free." After 'Animal.' Ed asks for the back of the audience to be lit up, wants to see how everyone is, and tells them to be careful, it's wet back there (it had been raining all day). Ed, near tears, said the band is happy to be back with the crew, who is like their family. Throughout much of the show a butterfly flutters about in the light around Ed, Matt and Mike. The disco ball reappears for 'Wishlist.' 'Off He Goes' is dedicated to, "There's a guy named Anthony, and this was his favorite song". (We think this is a reference to Anthony James Hurley, Australian fan who died the week after Roskilde.) Later Ed says, "The last time we had to ask the crowd to do something it was ... a little nervewracking ... I was gonna ask you to do something and maybe you'll do it?" The crowd answers "YES!" Ed continues: "Sing loud 'cause it's outside. And sing loud because you're sti... you're still alive... Just sing loud, all right?" and then they careen back into 'It's OK' by Dead Moon (Ed consults his notebook for help with lyrics). 'Porch' is ended with a lovely Roger Daltrey-style mic swing. In 'DTE,' Ed changes the lyrics to "I'm a thief, I'm a liar, I'm George Bush, my son is an asshole." The end of 'Light Years' has a couple of lines added at the end along the lines of, "Every day it's that sun or that moon, that moon ..." Ed stumbles on the first verse of 'Elderly Woman' but the band keeps playing while he smiles and picks it back up nicely later. A NY Rangers jersey with Ed's name on it is passed to him right before the second encore. He looks at it and says "Hey, that's me!" Also, someone gives Ed a large gold-colored scrapbook with "Memories of a Girl" written on the cover. He holds it up for the crowd to see and thanks her. A response to people cheering for the appearance of the ukulele: "If that many of you voted for Ralph Nader, the world would be a better place." 'Soon Forget' is dedicated to corporate assholes, "we know who we are." Ed shoots a half dozen Polaroids before 'YL.'

• Options
    bump for taking my 15 year old cousin to her first pj show...her first major concert....and winding up with front row 10c tickets....and especially for the polaroid ed took of us at the end of the show that i like to think is in a box or photo album in his house somewhere....she was wearing the tshirt she got at the show 6 years ago when i saw her for the first time in a long time just last weekend....

08/04/00 - Blockbuster Pavilion: Charlotte, NC
    attendance: 20,000
    support act: Sonic Youth
    soundcheck: Daughter, Grievance, Breakerfall, Oceans x2, Hail Hail, Leatherman, Present Tense (starting songs may be missing)
    set: Sometimes, Breakerfall, Corduroy, Hail Hail, Animal, Nothing As It Seems, Light Years, Given To Fly, Untitled, MFC, Habit, Even Flow, Wishlist, Better Man, Grievance, Present Tense, Black, Insignificance, Rearviewmirror
    enc 1: Go, Do The Evolution, Once, improv, I Got Shit, Last Kiss, Porch
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: Ed says, "Hello, it's nice to be here, really." He says, "If you had asked one of us up here including the crew if we felt luck ... how we felt a month ago, the one thing we wouldn't have said was lucky. But today, having Sonic Youth play with us here, I think today we do feel lucky." 'Given To Fly' is particularly intense, the whole band is into it, playing to each other, and it sets the tone for the rest of the show. Ed sings "... 23 minutes or so" in 'Untitled' (a nod to Michael Jordan?). 'Untitled' includes two extra verses. Ed messes up the first two lines to "Wishlist" and closes it by singing, "I wish I had a little house on a little street in North Carolina, North Carolina ..." Ed intros 'Present Tense' as "... we don't play it that often ... it would be good just to hear it." Looking at the crowd and pointing to himself, "I need to hear it." Ed gets emotional during 'Black' and can't sing, looks at the crowd, and they all start singing the "doo doo doo doo doo" part. When Ed returns for the amazing first encore of 'Go'/'DTE'/Once', the crowd is pogoing and Ed starts pogoing. During 'Go,' Mike is playing behind his head, and Ed starts dancing wildly. The improv is very lovely, starting off with, "There are one of us; there are two of us ..." and later:
    "And sky is wide, and the sides are wide.
    And my life is wide, and my eyes are wide.
    And my hands are wide, and my life is so tired
    and
    "'cause it's a new year and I don't know where else it could feel like this.
    It's a big blue world but I'm glad I'm here, and I'm glad I'm not someone else ..."
    For the intro to 'I Got Shit,' Ed speaks about Mirrorball: "There was a record where Neil Young asked everybody in the band to be his band. Figured he'd use us and steal our youth and we'd use him and steal his wisdom ... although he's probably younger than we are wise ..." 'Porch' is punctuated with many Daltrey mic swings. After 'Yellow Ledbetter,' Ed says goodbye by saying, "Y'all watch the moon on the way home." Amazing show

• Options
    bump for pink floyd, donna summer, buying an extra lawn ticket so i could stash my merch/poster in the car and get back in, and for getting my first setlist....

09/22/98 - Coral Sky Amphitheatre: West Palm Beach, FL [113m]
    support act: Rancid
    set: (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Brain of J, Hail Hail, Animal, Red Mosquito, Given to Fly, Even Flow, MFC, Improv/Habit, Wishlist, Daughter, Jeremy, In Hiding, Lukin, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Do the Evolution, Porch
    enc 1: Last Exit, Leatherman, Better Man, (Angie), State of Love and Trust, Alive
    enc 2: Baba O'Riley
    notes: Stone is spotted during Rancid's set from side stage; he appears to know all the lyrics. The lead-in music is 'Aye Davanita' again. It is a hot, humid night and Ed jokes about how the humidity is fucking up his hair (he has a serious 'fro thing going on). The improv leading to 'Habit' (sounding much like the 2/20/98 Maui improv musically), includes the lyrics "dropped three times." Instead of a "speaking as ..." line, Ed plays a slow, distinctive guitar riff. Before 'In Hiding,' he comments how the next song has a chorus he'll need help with from the crowd and how he has trouble remembering ... it "must be that pot I smoked last night." During the 'RVM' solo, Ed strikes a pose with one arm to the right while he is looking left, and he's totally still, not moving, but his sweat is pouring down. More effects on the backdrop: clouds on 'GTF;' water on 'Immortality;' lightning on 'Better Man.' During the 'Porch' jam, Ed starts singing "last dance ... last chance." (Donna Summer anyone?) The 'Angie' snippet is a surprise, seeming as if the intent is to play the entire song but they abandon it after Mike and Ed can't quite get it together after the first few notes. Ed tosses the microphone above the scaffolding during 'Alive' (he doesn't climb the cord), and it isn't retrieved but remains looped into the final encore. Before 'Baba,' Ed thanks Rancid and challenges them to play a Who song. Rather than tossing the tambourine into the crowd during 'Baba,' he throws it frisbee-style at the backdrop, and he joins in on guitar for a rousing ending. A rocking show with the band having fun, despite the heat. (On the setlist but not played: 'Black,' 'Go' and 'Nothingman.'

• Options
    bump for my best friend catching ed's tambourine....and for ed giving me his pick after playing two strings off his guitar during a blazing rvm...

04/15/03 - Alltel Pavilion Walnut Creek: Raleigh, NC
    support act: Sleater-Kinney
    soundcheck: Habit, Sometimes, Gimme Some Truth Mankind (x3)
    preset: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Ed solo)
    set: Release, Even Flow, Save You, Help Help, Given To Fly, Cropduster, I Am Mine, Lukin/Not For You, Corduroy, I Got Shit, You Are, Elderly Woman, Insignificance, Alive, Porch, Blood
    enc 1: Gimme Some Truth, Love Boat Captain, Better Man/(Save It For Later), Glorified G, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror
    enc 2: Fortunate Son, Rockin' in the Free World
    notes: Not much chat but a blazing setlist. Before 'I Got Shit,' Ed mentions that Mike is looking relaxed. He discusses how they aren't getting much attention from music television anymore so the band hired a fashion consultant to work with their image and that they suggested Mike wear sandals, but that they have duct tape on them and that's what makes them "edgy ... relaxed, but edgy." 'Elderly Woman' is dedicated to "everybody in the back ... you are your own small town yourself, there's enough of you." 'Insignificance' is introduced as "another song about a small town just south of Seattle where they got the Boeing plant where they make the airplanes ... the war planes ..." After 'Porch,' Ed walks backwards from the edge of the stage and takes a nasty spill over a monitor. It seems as if the band is prepared to play 'Daughter,' but Ed speaks to Stone, Stone changes guitar and they play 'Blood.' Ed is sporting a "What Would Jesus Bomb" t-shirt and works the words into 'DTE' (as well as, "I bomb what I want to irresponsibly"). Ed uses the mirror and spotlight to highlight areas of the crowd during 'RVM.' Sleater-Kinney again help out on 'Fortunate Son' and 'RITFW.' Before 'Fortunate Son,' Ed encourages the crowd to "educate yourself ... if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything, and I see that happening a lot these days." Very energetic crowd with lots of clapping beats and singalongs. Very energetic band, with several jumps, including Jeff's four- or five-foot leap at the end of 'RITFW

• Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    I'm signing this petition.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE play Phoenix. Play two nights and play at Glendale Arena. The sound there kicks ass!
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
  • Options
    wahinewahine Posts: 86
    bump for a great weekend in the SOUTH.
    Waiting on 10C!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    therover wrote:
    Haha, and there were enough people in the back to fill a small town!
    dangerboy wrote:
    bump for "relaxed but edgy".....

And bump for the crowd that Ed will always remember as being good singers.
    Brian
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Alabama man charged with cruelty over alleged sex with pony

LINDEN, Ala. A west Alabama man who was allegedly caught having sex with a pony, which died a few days later, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor animal cruelty.
    Marengo County court officials said today that 52-year-old Henry Lewis of rural Dixons Mills is set to stand trial July 11th.

Lewis entered the plea during a hearing Tuesday in Linden.

Authorities said four women saw the man having sex with a six-week-old horse in a field in early May and tried to stop him. Lewis refused and was gone when they came back with another man.

Alabama is among 15 states that lack a law expressly prohibiting sex with animals, according to Stephanie Bell, a caseworker with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Alabama law does make it a crime to kill or hurt an animal that belongs to someone else, or to subject an animal to cruel mistreatment. But District Attorney Greg Griggers said the case is questionable because the pony was not examined for injuries after its death.

If convicted, Lewis could be sentenced to a six month jail term and fined up to one-thousand dollars.

Dixon Mill is located in south Marengo County.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    bump for the LO2L version of black...well, ok, the second half...the half with the solo....for the number 23, and for being in the venue to watch them practice 'no way' for about 20 minutes.....

08/31/98 - Hardee's Walnut Creek Amphitheatre: Raleigh, NC [117m]
    attendance: 18,445
    support act: Mudhoney
    soundcheck: Soldier of Love, Driven to Tears, Hard to Imagine, No Way (several times), Mankind, In My Tree (1/2 without vocals)
    set: Sometimes, Corduroy, Animal, Given to Fly, Tremor Christ, Hail Hail, Not for You, Habit, Wishlist, Even Flow, Daughter/(Beginning to See the Light), Footsteps, Immortality, Brain of J, Faithfull, Go, Jeremy, Alive
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, State of Love and Trust, Black, Elderly Woman, Better Man
    enc 2: Soldier of Love
    notes: Mike and Ed are in particularly great spirits. 'Corduroy' features a great Townshend leap by Ed with his white Gibson SG. The 'Wishlist' lyrics include "I wish friends would always be friends until the bitter end." Ed notes, "We've been tryin' to feel y'all out ... we think you can handle this," introducing 'Footsteps.' During 'Brain of J,' a someone in the third row passes out and while everyone is helping her, Ed is watching throughout the whole song (not dancing) to make sure she is OK. He even throws one of his water bottles out to one of her friends for her and comments, ""We've got people passing out up here ... I can only imagine what its like in the back" (big roar from back of the lawn). 'Faithfull' is dedicated to the people in the back. Mike tears the stage up on 'Go,' playing the entire solo for about a minute with the guitar behind his head and seems to get stuck near the edge of the stage and a bed of speakers, prompting Stone to ask if he had gotten stuck! Upon returning for the first encore (Ed sporting a 'blonde era' Lou Reed shirt), the crowd cheers wildly and Ed says, "Aww, you probably say that to all the bands. You're probably the same assholes that were cheering Dave Matthews here last night!" During 'State', Mike starts doing laps around the stage and Ed turns his mic to follow him. On his second lap Ed nails him with a shoulder and almost knocks him down and changes the lyrics to refer to Mike ("help him from himself"). Ed tells a humorous tale about the Mudhoney show the previous night in Chapel Hill, where he bought a beer for some guys standing by him and heard one of them say "I'm under" to which he said "Don't worry, man, I got you covered." He thought the guys were short on cash but they were saying they were underage. The two guys got dragged out of the show halfway through because some "celebrity asshole" (Ed calls himself that) got them in trouble. Ed calls them "poor fuckers" then says he made it up to them and they had backstage passes and definitely had beers in their hands right now! 'Better Man' is dedicated to Michael Jordan, with Ed just referencing someone in a light blue jersey, with number 23. Before the last encore, Ed looks at the crowd and mouths "fucking awesome." Once again, Ed brings a fan onstage for the final encore and has him hold his song book while he sings 'Soldier of Love.'
    poster

Thanks for the indepth reminder of what my first live PJ experience was like. You don't happen to have a boot of this do you? It was on this night that Faithfull became one of my favorite all time PJ songs. It was also on this night that the old school back to back combo of Jeremy and Alive sent me off to another dimension. I didn't even notice the change in songs. Pure insanity. People crowd surfing way back on the lawn.
    Brian
  • Options
    Jammin909 wrote:
    Alabama man charged with cruelty over alleged sex with pony

LINDEN, Ala. A west Alabama man who was allegedly caught having sex with a pony, which died a few days later, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor animal cruelty.
    Marengo County court officials said today that 52-year-old Henry Lewis of rural Dixons Mills is set to stand trial July 11th.

Lewis entered the plea during a hearing Tuesday in Linden.

Authorities said four women saw the man having sex with a six-week-old horse in a field in early May and tried to stop him. Lewis refused and was gone when they came back with another man.

Alabama is among 15 states that lack a law expressly prohibiting sex with animals, according to Stephanie Bell, a caseworker with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Alabama law does make it a crime to kill or hurt an animal that belongs to someone else, or to subject an animal to cruel mistreatment. But District Attorney Greg Griggers said the case is questionable because the pony was not examined for injuries after its death.

If convicted, Lewis could be sentenced to a six month jail term and fined up to one-thousand dollars.

Dixon Mill is located in south Marengo County.

if that's supposed to be a slam on the south, try this on for size:

apparently washington is one of the 15 states mentioned in your article that don't have laws against sex with animals...

Seattle man dies after sex with horse
    Police say death was accidental, investigate farm on cruelty suspicions
    Reuters

Updated: 9:12 p.m. ET July 15, 2005
    SEATTLE - A Seattle man died after engaging in anal sex with a horse at a farm suspected of being a gathering place for people seeking to have sex with livestock, police said Friday.

The horse involved in the incident was not harmed, and an autopsy of the unnamed man concluded that “the manner of death was accidental ... due to perforation of the colon,” a police spokesman said.

“The information that we have is that people would find this place via chat rooms on the Web,” said Sgt. John Urquhart of the King County Sheriff’s Department.

Although sex with animals is not illegal in Washington state, Urquhart said that investigators were looking into whether the farm, located in Enumclaw, 40 miles southeast of Seattle, allowed sex with smaller animals that resulted in animal cruelty, which is a crime.

“If you’re talking about sheep or goats, there could be some issues,” Urquhart said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters

• Options
    NCBRI wrote:
    Thanks for the indepth reminder of what my first live PJ experience was like. You don't happen to have a boot of this do you? It was on this night that Faithfull became one of my favorite all time PJ songs. It was also on this night that the old school back to back combo of Jeremy and Alive sent me off to another dimension. I didn't even notice the change in songs. Pure insanity. People crowd surfing way back on the lawn.

yes, i do...including the soundcheck, which i recorded, which actually sounds better than the rest of the show....

pm me, brian, and i'll get you one.....

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Bump for the awesome WMD joke in Dallas - three years ago yesterday! With the Alive opener!

06/09/03 - Smirnoff Music Center: Dallas, TX
    support act: Idlewild
    set: Alive, Brain Of J, 1/2 Full, Go, Corduroy, Green Disease, I Am Mine, Daughter/(Of The Girl), Nothingman, Jeremy, I Got Shit, Blood, Dissident, Better Man, Save You, Even Flow
    enc 1: Arc, Can't Keep, State Of Love And Trust, Elderly Woman, Black, Rearviewmirror
    enc 2: Crazy Mary, Rockin' In The Free World
    notes: Starting with the all too familiar 'Alive' riff sends the crowd into a frenzy and they smoke through the first few songs. For the 'Daughter' tag, Ed has the crowd repeat "A", "L", "L", "A", "S", "D" and asks "What's that spell? ... I don't know how to spell!" and then sings the closing lyrics from 'Of The Girl.' He speaks at length after 'Jeremy' about how "Houston has the president, San Antonio has the basketball team and you guys have the voices. If this was like American Idol in Texas, you guys would win." Then he talks about a "contest," holding up a folder that is inscribed with "WMD" ... that there is a folder taped to the bottom of a chair in the crowd with back stage passes in it, and that at the end of the show, they would all go and tear Dallas up with two folks from the crowd. "If you don't have it then that means you got shit and you can relate to this," leading to a lovely 'I Got Shit.' Later, he asks if anyone has found the folder and grins, telling them to keep looking. After 'Dissident,' Jeff says, "Skip Habit ... fuck Habit," and they play 'Better Man." After 'SOL&T," Ed introduces the band and mentions Stone playing Les Paul guitars and there is a toast to Mr. Les Paul and that he's 88 years old and that "Les is more." Then, Boom: "Don't mess with Texas? Yeah, well don't mess with fuckin' Boom, all right? In fact, you can't mess with any of us as long as Boom is close by." The second encore starts off with Ed introducing 'Crazy Mary' saying, "We're gonna play it better than we've ever played it before." Ed again asks if anyone has found the WMD folder ... "Please don't tell me it wasn't there. Don't tell me the WMDs weren't there somewhere. That would be upsetting. Keep looking!" leading to 'RITFW.' Of course, this is all a big joke, with "WMD" being an acronym for "weapons of mass destruction," and the folder was never found (many didn't get the joke), but it was a clever way to voice displeasure in an intelligent way in Texas.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Sick people and pervs are everywhere - not concentrated in one locale. I think the whole fucking world is sick. God bless the animals and the children. They are innocents.

Here's the PLAY THE FUCKING SOUTH bump for Saturday.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    bump for raleigh being bigger than pittsburgh and cleveland....

and for heading towards 1000 replies....

Raleigh Moving In On List Of 50 Largest U.S. Cities

POSTED: 7:08 pm EDT June 7, 2006
    UPDATED: 10:30 am EDT June 8, 2006

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The city of Raleigh is approaching the distinction of being one of the 50 largest cities in the United States.

Population estimates expected out in a few weeks put Raleigh's population more than 350,000 people inside the city limits.

"Raleigh's growth is not just on the fringes," said Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker. "Twenty to 25 percent is actually in the city in terms of infill and redevelopment areas. So we have both kind of growth, from annexation as well as growth internally."

The Capital City is currently larger than Tampa, Fla., Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. It is also expected to surpass St Louis's population of about 343,000 with the new figures and could surpass Minneapolis, which has a population of about 373,000, within the next few years.

Leaders said Raleigh can grow outward, unlike the aforementioned cities, which are denser.

About 12,000 people are moving to the city each year, making it one of the nation's fastest growing cities. Compared to expected population numbers of 350,000, the city's population was only 150,000 in 1980. A decade later, it increased to 212,000; and in 2000, the population was at about 276,000.

City leaders said they believe jobs and quality of life are two reasons the city is continuing to expand.

A growing city is also attractive for companies, city leaders have said. Better jobs and prestige are part of the benefits.

"I think from marketing -- and getting national attention is where it helps," said Raleigh planning director Mitch Silver. "It shows you are in a different class of a city, so there is a higher expectation for your downtown, having other venues and a place where people want to visit."

But there are other reasons Raleigh is moving up on the list of largest cities. A nationwide trend shows people from the Northeast and Midwest are moving further west and further south.

• Options
    groovNgroovN Posts: 92
    hey pearljam

play the south!

i am a spoiled rotten northerner and, while i wish you would play here again in a few months ;) i need ya to hook up my friends down south :)

thanks doods!

keep rockin in the free world!
    picture an empty cup in the middle of the sea
  • Options
    bump for everyone down here who wants to see PJ
    Brian
  • Options
    groovN wrote:
    hey pearljam

play the south!

i am a spoiled rotten northerner and, while i wish you would play here again in a few months ;) i need ya to hook up my friends down south :)

thanks doods!

keep rockin in the free world!

now, this is the kind of vibe that breaks down geographic barriers...

thanks, brother....or sister...

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Dear Pearl Jam:

Your loyal fans in the Sun Belt request the honor of your presence for a six-week concert run at your earliest convenience.

RSVP to rhinomagic. Regrets will not be accepted.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    MikeVonMikeVon Posts: 24
    Hey the First Tropical storm has arived..

We need some Pearl Jam Relief effort in the south..

Play for us now and not when our houses are blown away or flooded.
    Mike V

"Can't buy what you want because it's free"
    Corduroy
    Vitalogy

Choices are made, but only you can make them.
    You live life, but does it live for you?
    Facades pop up in this world everyday.
    Only you can decide to see through them or help put another brick in the wall.
  • Options
    wow almost a 1000 post maybe someone will see how serious we are about having some shows in the south
  • Options
    I really do think that if I have traveled to see these guys in East Rutherford this year and will be going to The Gorge shows, that they can play in or around my hometown of Sarasota, Florida sometime soon.

:)

God bless,

Jared
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    mnrhyner wrote:
    Great things about atlanta:

The weather
    The bars
    The Braves
    The Fox Theater
    The High Museum of Art
    GT, Emory, GSU, Spelman, Morehouse, etc...
    Tons of great Restaurants
    Hip-Hop Scene
    The Varsity
    Coca Cola
    Centennial Park
    The Huge Ass Aquarium
    and, most importantly,
    ...I live here

Come visit!

The Braves are NOT a great component of Atlanta. They've lost 10 of 13 or some such number.

That's not enough reason for Pearl Jam to skip the South, though.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020