***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    i planted a tree (or trees or other vegetation) to offset my carbon footprint while travelling to see pearl jam play the south, and am sending proof to the ten club in the form of a certificate of gift planting or photo of my planting

barkingdogs
    dangerboy
    behindtheeyes
    BeBe
    Riverrunner
    weenie

keep the list going, i mean "growing" unofficial sticky bump

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    Bumpin! I'm sending in my tree certificate this week! Hope this works!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    lukin321 wrote:
    Bumpin! I'm sending in my tree certificate this week! Hope this works!

i planted a tree (or trees or other vegetation) to offset my carbon footprint while travelling to see pearl jam play the south, and am sending proof to the ten club in the form of a certificate of gift planting or photo of my planting

barkingdogs
    dangerboy
    behindtheeyes
    BeBe
    Riverrunner
    weenie
    lukin321

keep the list going, i mean "growing" unofficial sticky bump

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    We've hit 3500 and still going bump

Trees Rock!!!

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    What second page????? No way, eh!!!! Bump Bump Bump if I have to...

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    ....and the hat trick bump

Trees Rock
    Please Play the South
    unofficial sticky!

you can bump if you want to
    you can leave your friends behind
    cuz your friends don't bump
    and if they don't bump, well, they're
    no friends of mine....

BTW.........that was a natural hat trick

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
    dangerboy wrote:
    unofficial sticky carbon footprint bump for the new b100 biodiesel plant near here....

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/490962.html

aw....c'mon kat sea santos ganjafarmer stone eddie somebody! no love for the bio-diesel in north carolina? three production facilities on-line!! the tour trucks are fueled by bio diesel, right? bring a tanker....

and a bump for 7500 gallons of liquid chicken fat! ew

Biofuel plant opens in Chatham
    Goal: 1 million gallons a year

AVAILABILITYBiodiesel is available to the public at two locations in the Triangle. It's more widely available to members of the Piedmont Biofuels or Bull City Biodiesel co-ops.

PUBLIC LOCATIONS

Exxon

4401 Roxboro Road, Durham, 471-6924

Cruizers

1914 Sedwick Road, Durham, 806-3458

TO JOIN

Piedmont Biofuels

321-8260, http://www.biofuels.coop

Bull City Biodiesel

957-1505

(TRIANGLE J COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS)

Wade Rawlins, Staff Writer
    PITTSBORO - A Chatham County co-op that started out making alternative fuel from french fry grease launched the state's first big biodiesel production plant Monday.
    Piedmont Biofuels, based in Pittsboro, plans to produce 1 million gallons of biodiesel a year, converting chicken fat into an alternative fuel that packs fewer pollutants and reduces dependence on foreign oil. Any vehicle that burns diesel can run on biodiesel.

Piedmont Biofuels is the first of three production plants going up in the state. North Carolina is among the nation's top consumers of biodiesel fuel, using more than 1.5 million gallons in 2005, say researchers at the Solar Center at N.C. State University. Local production could make biodiesel more widely available in the Triangle, where currently it's sold only at two service stations and through member-owned cooperatives.

Pure biodiesel, called B100, is often mixed with petroleum diesel and sold as a blend such as B20, which is 80 percent petroleum diesel and 20 percent biodiesel. Many school buses, city garbage trucks and street sweepers in the Triangle burn the combination fuel.

Blended biodiesel sells in the Triangle for about $2.80 to $3 a gallon.

"This whole thing has been driven by a quest for more fuel," said Lyle Estill, a Piedmont Biofuels executive. "I was making it for my tractor at home. In some ways, this represents a continuation of our quest. A million-gallon plant is our attempt to meet more fuel needs."

The plant, which began as a small cooperative in Moncure, employs 17 people and has been importing biodiesel from other states and reselling about 250,000 gallons a year, Estill said. The plant was launched with an investment of about $1 million, including a $170,000 grant from the state Energy Office for production equipment, Estill said.

Liquid chicken fat, delivered in 7,500-gallon tanker trucks, will be pumped into a 2,000-gallon reactor vessel. It is mixed with methyl alcohol and a catalyst such as potash to change the fat into fuel. A byproduct, glycerin, settles to the bottom and is removed and purified. It can then be used in the cosmetics and chemical industries. The biodiesel is cleaned to remove impurities, then is ready for sale. The plant can use vegetable oil as the feedstock, or base, for biodiesel.

The plant will supply fuel to cooperative members, and market fuel wholesale to local governments that have fleets of vehicles, and to petroleum distributors. In the coming months, Piedmont Biofuels is expanding its network of a half-dozen biodiesel outlets. The outlets sell the fuel in Raleigh to cooperative members. Through sales to distributors, biodiesel also should be more widely available to the public.

'A new era'

State and federal officials, legislators and members of Congress gathered Monday at the former chemical factory east of Pittsboro. Actual production is still at least a few days away.

"The opening of the biofuels plant is really a milestone for our state," said U.S. Rep. Bob Etheridge, a Democrat from Lillington who introduced legislation this year to expand the production and use of biodiesel. "It signals a significant step for our state and a transition to a new era. We have to transition from having a ring in our nose from the Middle East."

In the United States, the biodiesel market is growing, according to Emerging Markets Online, a global energy market research firm. Biodiesel consumption in the U.S. grew from 25 million gallons per year in 2004 to 78 million gallons in 2005. Production is expected to reach 300 million gallons this year, and 750 million gallons in 2007.

State agencies are the state's largest consumers of biodiesel, burning about 5 million gallons in cars, trucks and road construction equipment.

"To have it made right here is going to make it more reliable and reduces transportation costs," said Tobin Freid, coordinator for Triangle Clean Cities at the Triangle J Council of Governments. "By making it here and using local feedstocks, you are eliminating all that impact on transporting fuel."

Pure biodiesel has significant environmental benefits, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Compared with petroleum diesel, biodiesel produces less carbon monoxide, soot particles and ozone-forming emissions.

"What you're doing here is helping us achieve our mission to protect human health and the environment," said Alan Powell, an EPA environmental engineer.

Schools lead the way

There are 15 to 20 biodiesel plants in the Southeast, producing 1 million to 30 million gallons per plant, Powell said. More are under construction, and smaller operations also are going up. The Gaston County Schools began producing bus fuel from cooking oil from school cafeterias and Lance Inc., a Charlotte producer of snack crackers.

Grady Truett, the system's assistant director for transportation, said the system made 13,000 gallons last year and expected to produce 100,000 gallons this year to burn in about 300 buses and other vehicles.

Truett, who attended the event Monday, said Piedmont Biofuels offered technical assistance to help them get started.

"They're the gurus in North Carolina," Truett said.

Staff writer Wade Rawlins can be reached at 829-4528 or wrawlins@newsobserver.com.

Alas no love for Ivory-billed Woodpeckers either..........:(

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Bump! because all new bands suck and we need Pearl Jam here!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Trees rock.

Ivory billed woodpeckers rock.

But nothing rocks like a good old Southern party...come on down and see for yourselves.

Play the South. :)
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
    Nothing rocks like our pretty Southern ladies.....yee haw!!!!

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
    Did we forget "Two for Tuesday" bump?

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
    yeh....where is brian?

unofficial sticky

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    tuesday bump
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    two for tuesday bump
  • Um....this isn't a sticky yet?
  • Movin this info to the last page for all to see.....

This little movement seems to have grown some legs of its own....

The *** Official Plant a Tree, Play the South*** petition has been merged with this thread.

Im going to keep posting this until we get lots more people on board.

We are hoping to get the attention of the band and do something great for the enviroment at the same time. What we would like to do is plant as many trees as possible in order to offset the "Carbon Footprint" (see Activism) of PJ'S tour when they come southward (and I know they will!)

Below are some suggested links to foundations that will plant trees for small donations. They will even send you a certificate indicating that the trees have been planted and where they were planted. For as little as 10 bucks, only half the cost of your 10c membership, you can get 10 trees planted in honor of PJ's Southern Tour leg in 2007.

My 10 trees are planted and they should be photosynthesising as we speak. Once my certificate arrives, it will be forwarded to the 10c.

Folks, its entirely possible, with a little help we could get litterally thousands of trees planted with this little "Southern Homegrown Movement".

The steps are simple:

1) Pick a foundation from the links below (or any other that you like), or just visit your local home improvement
    megastore.

2) Purchase your trees. (stealing your neighbor's trees and re-planting them is NOT recommended :D.)

3) Have your certificate, if applicable, filled out to indicate that these trees were planted in honor of Pearl Jam's Southern US Tour in 2007.

Or, if you plant a tree at your house, just snap a picture.

4) Send your certificate, printed email receipt or photo to the 10c at the below address.

** SNAIL MAIL IS THE OPTIMAL ATTENTION GETTING METHOD.**
    on the outside of your envelope please write:
    "Trees for Pearl Jam Movement"

It's that easy!

Let's really get the band's attention in a positive way instead of just bitchin and moaning!:)

Re-Forestation Links:

http://www.arborday.org/join/TICTIM/index.cfm

http://www.americanforeststore.org/

http://www.saveourhemlocks.org/

And the 10c address to mail in that certificate or photo:

Pearl Jam
    PO Box 4570
    Seattle, WA
    98194-0570

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HAVE OFFERED A BOATLOAD OF AWESOME SUGGESTIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS AND THANKS FOR BEING ALL AROUND COOL PEOPLE! :D

LET'S MAKE THIS WORK! GO PLANT A TREE!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

i know, they are really making us work for this aren't they? people are planting trees, people are offering to hand out flyers on the street for fucks sake, and still no response, not even a sticky!

oh well, here's another bump, cuz i'm just that stubborn and i see i'm in good company!

PLEASE PLAY THE SOUTH!!!
  • Lets get some shows down in the SOUTH!!!! Im in great need for live PJ!

Play the SOUTH PLEASE!
    "The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
    West Palm Beach '03
    Tampa '03
    Philadelphia '03
    Albany '03
    Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
    Pittsburgh '06
    Cincinnati '06
    NYC 2 '10
    Costa Rica '11
    Mexico City '15
    Dana Point '21
    Chicago 2 '24
  • We will get a show. I still have hope! Faithful in Florida!!!!!!!! Play the south PLEEEEEEASE!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • $10...that all...half of a 10c membership.....only a third of the cost of a tour poster ( less than a tenth if you flip it on ebay!)....will get you 10 shiny new trees and really show the band we give crap about the environment (PJ playing the SOUTH in 2007)...

so, go steal your spouse's credit card (at your own risk, not highly recommended)... look under the couch cushions, check the washing machine....just find ten bucks.....then fire up your web browser (not your bong...... well, maybe later)...head to one of the links provided in any of my previous posts.....

AND BUY A DAMN TREE (or 10) ALREADY...WILL YA? PLEASE? :D

i'M BEGGIN YOU!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

Trees Rock

Please Play the South
  • I've just hijacked this thread into the please play anywhere in the US again thread......bummmmmmp
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    My PJ in the South '07 "DREAM" bump

PJ plays a small campground in lewisburg, WV (ala Full Moon Fest!). A small venue right by the greenbrier river. PJ breaks out rarities "falling down", "education", and "other side". PJ ends up playing a marathon show, just short of 5 hours. The highlights of the evening are the aforementioned rarities and a 27 minute jam combining "Daughter/WMA/Save it for Later/Hey Hey My My/ and Its OK, afterward Ed jumps into the greenbrier river with the fans!

hmmm.... its nice to dream:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Good Morning Bump!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Good morning, lets bump this right up under all the other stickies.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • bumpity bump bump for the ATL!!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
    A good morning to all bump

Trees Rock

Please Play the South