The new Incubus album...

Comments

• FOR ME THE MUDDY PRODUCTION LETS IT DOWN.

Was expecting more, miss the hip hop style grooves.

Nothing will match Morning View.

Actually I wondered... is the leak of lesser quality than the final CD do you think? If it isn't, then the recording is really not that good. The first track sounds like it was recorded while someone was doing the vacuuming in the background.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Actually I wondered... is the leak of lesser quality than the final CD do you think? If it isn't, then the recording is really not that good. The first track sounds like it was recorded while someone was doing the vacuuming in the background.

Mine doesn't sound like that...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • just got the album today. i think it's amazing.

incubus never fails.
  • From all four tracks I have heard, I am not impressed one bit. It is just too boring.
  • jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    I've listened all the way once and am on my second listen now.

I like it, but it's not great. I would say this album is more mellow and dreamy. It's not as rockin' as some of their old stuff. But it's still good. I like Light Grenades and Quicksand and Anna Molly.

The artwork inside the booklet is awesome. Pretty cool stuff.

if you like Incubus then pick this up, if you don't then leave it alone.
  • i cant believe the bad reviews you guys are giving 'light grenades'.

this album contains some of incubus' best work to date. i truly love it.

if you're a fan of great music, pick this up, whether you like incubus or not. there's something here for everyone.
  • Wow, just heard the song "Dig." It is laughably bad.
  • Crow was their best imo.
    This one is ... different. ive listened to it 15 or so times, its growing. big fan of "rogues."

they kick off their tour in Vancouver BC in jan...cant wait for that.
    i cannot stop the thought.......running in the dark

Vancouver 9/2/05
    Gorge 7/22/06
    Gorge 7/23/06
    EV Vancouver 2 04/06/08
  • Wow, just heard the song "Dig." It is laughably bad.

nah, it's a beautiful song.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I'm not a huge Incubus fan I like them but wouldn't concider them one of my fav bands. I haven't got the new album yet but I currently rate the albums I have :

SCIENCE : Erm it's ok I suppose a tad messy and nu-metally for my taste.
    Make Yourself : This is my fav album by them a nice balance of styles.
    Morning View : A very boring album, too many songs that just drift by no real tempo change.
    A Crow... : Not bad, better than Morning but lacking a real killer song.
  • nah, it's a beautiful song.

No it is not. Sounds like a fucking christian rock band. In fact I'm pretty sure Light Grenades is the same album as RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, in lameness and musically.
  • it's nice to have opinions ;)
  • No it is not. Sounds like a fucking christian rock band. In fact I'm pretty sure Light Grenades is the same album as RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, in lameness and musically.

I hate Stadium Arcadium, but love the new Incubus one, and in my opinion Dig is certainly one of their best songs ever. Give me a comparable 'christian rock' band or song I can compare it to, cause all that comes to mind is Creed, and it sounds nothing like them.

I can totally understand people not liking the album, but at least be accurate with your criticisms, musically this is a very diverse record andit is easily their most adventurous.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    No it is not. Sounds like a fucking christian rock band. In fact I'm pretty sure Light Grenades is the same album as RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, in lameness and musically.

agree, completely
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • couldnt agree more, facepollution.

best to least favorite:

1) Quicksand & A Kiss To Send Us Off (i look at them as one song)
    2) Pendulous Threads
    3) Rogues
    4) Light Grenades
    5) Anna Molly
    6) Oil and Water (this one really grew on me)
    7) Paper Shoes
    8) Earth To Bella (Part I)
    9) Dig
    10) Diamonds and Coal
    11) Earth To Bella (Part II)
    12) Love Hurts

The more I listen to this album, the better it gets. 'Love Hurts' might be the only "bad" song on the record. It's just incredible cheesy. Still an okay song though.

Complaints: they should have put 'Punchdrunk' and 'Look Alive' on the record. Those songs are fucking awesome.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I hate Stadium Arcadium, but love the new Incubus one, and in my opinion Dig is certainly one of their best songs ever. Give me a comparable 'christian rock' band or song I can compare it to, cause all that comes to mind is Creed, and it sounds nothing like them.

I can totally understand people not liking the album, but at least be accurate with your criticisms, musically this is a very diverse record andit is easily their most adventurous.

If you want a nicely fucked up and great adventure, try the hidden track at the end of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    If you want a nicely fucked up and great adventure, try the hidden track at the end of S.C.I.E.N.C.E.!!

Lol, yep I know that bad boy. I love old Incubus as much as the next guy, but I get a lot more out of the new music. I can see why people prefer the older music because it was more catchy and heavier, but the band has a lot more depth now - in this way their evolution has been very similar to Pearl Jam's.
    Lol, yep I know that bad boy. I love old Incubus as much as the next guy, but I get a lot more out of the new music. I can see why people prefer the older music because it was more catchy and heavier, but the band has a lot more depth now - in this way their evolution has been very similar to Pearl Jam's.

I agree. Which is why I don't understand the criticism of them on here of all places.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Again, its the bad production that ruins the whole album for me, its like listening to a cassette, I miss the crispness of Make Yourself and Morning View.

I'm sorry but I love Dig.

Quicksand would have been better produced by someone other than o brien.

There just seems to be a lack of hooks and grooves.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Again, its the bad production that ruins the whole album for me, its like listening to a cassette, I miss the crispness of Make Yourself and Morning View.

I'm sorry but I love Dig.

Quicksand would have been better produced by someone other than o brien.

There just seems to be a lack of hooks and grooves.

The hooks are more subtle, but they are still there.

I don't understand your beef with the production. To my mind Quicksand is supposed to sound kind of murky, and like someone else said it's more of an interlude into A Kiss to send us off. Are you still listening to the leaked version or the actual cd? The production on the cd, to my ears anyway, is as crisp and polished as I would expect from Brendan O' Brien.
  • I've had a chance now to give this album a few proper listens and I do like it... I think a lot of it will be fantastic live!!

*cringes*

I must confess I feel almost embarassed listening to 'Diamonds & Coal'...

:\

How did this track get on an album? Feels to me like listening to some kind of bastardized Collective Soul :|

I think my problem is that I've been listening to SCIENCE a lot lately and I love the whole 'beauty inside of chaos'... thing... compared to tracks on that album D&C seems like rechewed bubblegum :(

I'm totally stoked to see them again and I know this album will stay on my 'most played' list for some time to come :)
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • The hooks are more subtle, but they are still there.

I don't understand your beef with the production. To my mind Quicksand is supposed to sound kind of murky, and like someone else said it's more of an interlude into A Kiss to send us off. Are you still listening to the leaked version or the actual cd? The production on the cd, to my ears anyway, is as crisp and polished as I would expect from Brendan O' Brien.

Ive got it on cd, I just feel on some songs Brandons voice gets buried and its hard to pick out the bass, and Im a bassist lol. Light Grenades for example just sounds a mess to me.

At the same time Rogues, Dig and Anna Molly are spot on.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    The hooks are more subtle, but they are still there.

Once again, agreed. Quicksand sounds good as it is, "murky".

I have the leaked version, but it's fine production-wise.

The hooks are there for, and they are definitely more subtle.

For me, the standout tracks are Paper shoes (I love the intro and the harmonies in the verse), Pendulous Threads (Once again, the harmonies in are great) and (as much as people seem to hate it) Dig.

A Kiss To Send Us Off and Earth To Bella are definitely growers. I didn't used to like them, but I really like AKTSUO and I found myself singing Earth To Bella the other day, so I guess I must like it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• aww man, this cd is great. dig is amazing.
    i like rogues too

im a fan of all of incubus' stuff fungus to grenades.
    An ounce of deception
    Kills a pound of pain
  • I just picked it up.

So far it sounds pretty good.

I like incubus...I have Morning View which I thought was pretty good...I also have A crow left of The Murder which I thought was a tad stronger than MV.

Light Grenades sounds pretty good...

To me they sound a little like a more beefed up version of Third Eye Blind...i mean that in the best possible way.

Dig sounds like a Third Eye Blind song...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • The CD is great.
    Are you guys that simple that you need to be bashed over the head with hooks.

Production is a little muddy. I think the bass is fine though. All in all better production than pj8
    No one is Righteous.......
  • ohhh i think its damn good! i keep listening to it and it keeps growing on me!

i love songs #1-5 and i REALLY love song #10!! fuck yeah! great lyrics by brandon as well!

go buy this album...or this band if you like pj....incubus are influenced by pj and i can tell!! just listen to the evolution of that band...and they are still really young!

im pumped that i scored Agora tickets via their pre-sale! yeah me!
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • . 'Love Hurts' might be the only "bad" song on the record. It's just incredible cheesy. Still an okay song though.

ironically....that song always makes me think my phone is ringing...it sounds just like the main riff in given to fly...which is my ringtone! :D
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • i just got it tonight. i've been writing a paper all evening (still writing ahhhhh) and i listened to it while i was working, so i didn't pay as much attention as i'd have liked to, but from what i heard it's pretty good. i was definitely thrown off by the first song, but as someone mentioned, it's basically an intro to the second one, and when that song started i felt a lot better. i don't find the production all that bad, but i'm not an audiophile, so that kinda stuff doesn't always jump out at me. except morning view, if ever there was a record that could have used some more time in mixing or some other post-production work, that was it. to me morning view seems so lacking in treble and bass. it's all just warbled in the middle ranges to me. but to each his own i guess.
  • rogues is amaaazing! i really like dig and and earth to bella and LG too. i've heard alot of people not liking it but i think it ties with science as their second best behind morning view.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...