The new Incubus album...

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    bharQ wrote:
    Pearl Jam is a perfect example of a band that has changed but still write interesting songs.. they aren't BETTER necessarily then the old stuff but they are still interesting and rock live.. incubus and deftones just haven't done that. they are just writing music that they know will appeal to their always changing fan base of kids that just discovered them... I doubt there are many fans of science and adrenaline that have stuck around for these new albums.. whereas Pearl Jam have kept a huge amount of their fans because they aren't writing their music based on current trends

I see what you are saying, but just because the songs aren't interesting to you, does not make them uninteresting.

I really like this new album. Incubus are a decent enough band, and an OK live band. Granted, they will never be PJ, and it annoys me that Brandon takes his shirt off all the time, but I don't want every band I like to be the same.

I like the fact that every incubus album sounds different. If they were just trying to make money, then they would find what works, and then keep doing it, like most bands who are "popular" do.

I also see what you are saying about Pearl Jam, but after Ten came out, didn't the alienate a hell of a lot of their fans? They aren't an easy band to love, and mayn people just give up.
    For every person who thinks incubus suck after SCIENCE, there is one who thinks Pearl Jam haven't done anything good since Ten (and I know plenty). Does that make either of them right? Not really, it's all down to the individual to decide for themselves.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    audiodave wrote:
    I see what you are saying, but just because the songs aren't interesting to you, does not make them uninteresting.

I really like this new album. Incubus are a decent enough band, and an OK live band. Granted, they will never be PJ, and it annoys me that Brandon takes his shirt off all the time, but I don't want every band I like to be the same.

I like the fact that every incubus album sounds different. If they were just trying to make money, then they would find what works, and then keep doing it, like most bands who are "popular" do.

I also see what you are saying about Pearl Jam, but after Ten came out, didn't the alienate a hell of a lot of their fans? They aren't an easy band to love, and mayn people just give up.
    For every person who thinks incubus suck after SCIENCE, there is one who thinks Pearl Jam haven't done anything good since Ten (and I know plenty). Does that make either of them right? Not really, it's all down to the individual to decide for themselves.

Yeah valid points.. another deal breaker for me was seeing Brandon plastered all over Gap ads.. it's just like 2 completely different bands (incubus of 1997 and incubus of today).. their ideals, message, lyrics, everything about the old incubus was completely along the same page as bands like pearl jam and many others of the early 90s.. yet they had this unique and crazy sound. The new stuff to me doesn't seem like evolution.. it just seems like the music that one would write after getting out of their gap photo session..

Pearl Jam alienated a lot of fans but I think it was for the better.. they were massive.. waaay bigger than incubus and deftones even combined.. and its funny if you look at it because they almost did the opposite of what incubus did.. they wrote this really dark, heavy music to try and break away from the mainstream and stopped making videos.. incubus who sold hardly anything when they made their first few eps and albums had to do the opposite and go more radio friendly.. its their career and i guess they needed to eat more than just psilocybin everyday so I can understand them wanting to try and sell more records.. but can't there be a happy medium? I just don't see the originality in any of these new songs.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • The new songs are far more subtle than a lot of their past stuff, if all they cared about was making money they could have banged out Morning View part two and be done with it. Light Grenades is far more textured and interesting to listen to. It's more accessible than ACLOTM, yet still has a lot more depth - some of those arrangements are pretty damn impressive, not bull-shit catchy Hoobastank type bollocks like they could be pumping out.

I'm totally with you about the whole GAP thing, what the fuck was he thinking?! That said, I do think he seems like a very genuine performer so on this occasion I can forgive him.

The Pearl Jam comparison is valid to an extent. I think No Code was a massive curve ball for a lot of people, it really didn't sound much like anything they had done before, yet still maintained a lot of the elements that made them such a good band. I think Light Grenades similarly has hidden gems that aren't immediate on the first couple of listens. I hope people give this record a chance, because it really is a pretty creative piece of work from a band who could easily write catchy hit singles in their sleep if they wanted to, but have chosen to try something different.
  • Please tell me Ana Molly is NOT one of the best songs on the record.

If so, then we're doomed.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Please tell me Ana Molly is NOT one of the best songs on the record.

If so, then we're doomed.

In my opinion, it's one of the worst, if not the worst.

But I still like it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Light Grenades is very good.

If you look around a bit, you'll probably find it.

:)

If anyone is having trouble finding it, let me know.

ahhhhhhhhh...i can wait. what can i say, bit of a purist, old school...i like to get the *actual* disc in my hands. :D really looking forward to it though and i am SOOO psyched i am finally going to see them live in january! :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I think Rogues is excellent
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • pre-ordered a copy some weeks ago. can't fucking wait (since incubus is my favorite band).
  • after a few listens, i'm begining to like it a little more.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • 7 Kettles wrote:
    after a few listens, i'm begining to like it a little more.

i love albums that grow on ya, i find a deeper appreciation usually occurs when that happens. i am really looking forward to this album!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• its ok, not great, but not horrrible either. definitely a step up from that last album.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Wait... I think Brandon has put way more emotion into the songs when being compared to SCIENCE... I mean, on SCIENCE, he screams a lot, and that's not discarding that there's no emotion... but when he sings more intricate like we have here on Light Grenades... I see a lot more emotion put in the songs... and the fact that most of these songs seem to be very personal, that just adds to the emotion... don't get me wrong, I like SCIENCE a lot, but I definitely think Light Grenades is better and more emotional... haha, emo band.

And yes, what has kept me so interested in Incubus and to why they are my favorite band is that on each record they do have a different style... and on Light Grenades, Mikey explained it perfectly... "It's like 13 different songs by 13 different bands" or whatev... it does sound like that and I love it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    its ok, not great, but not horrrible either. definitely a step up from that last album.

Right on - so far not great, but I only listened to it twice...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • I sure hope they have moved away from the dj scratching noise?
  • Obscured1 wrote:
    I sure hope they have moved away from the dj scratching noise?

Yeah there aint much of that going on, maybe the odd subtle bit here or there but nothing OTT.

Mark my words, this album will grow on the cynics. Even my mate at work who 'hates Incubus' loves some of the songs on it.
  • bharQ wrote:
    have you even listened to SCIENCE and Adrenaline?!

Yeah and to me they sound bland and emotionless, Adrenaline especially.

Maybe I'm too traditional but I like songs with hooks AND emotion.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Yeah and to me they sound bland and emotionless, Adrenaline especially.

Maybe I'm too traditional but I like songs with hooks AND emotion.

i think the complete opposite.

Adrenaline is one of the greatest portrayals of raw emotion I think I've ever heard.

Take another listen to Birthmark and Nosebleed.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    i think the complete opposite.

Adrenaline is one of the greatest portrayals of raw emotion I think I've ever heard.

Take another listen to Birthmark and Nosebleed.

Thats what I'm saying, think we just like our emotion presnted different ways.

I know it must be weird for some people who just see kids jumping on the bandwagon of bands with a long tradition of hardcore fans but I got into Deftones when I was fifteen when I first heard Around The Fur, that album always takes me back. I'm now 22 and I just think their new album is just beautiful. Beware and Combat I cant stop listening to, a combination of raw emotion and beautiful soaring melodies.

I appreciate you're opinion, I just hope I've explained a little where I'm coming from.

As for Incubus, SCIENCE was the first album I heard by them but Make Yourself just blew it out the water for me.

Its all good amyway.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Thats what I'm saying, think we just like our emotion presnted different ways.

I know it must be weird for some people who just see kids jumping on the bandwagon of bands with a long tradition of hardcore fans but I got into Deftones when I was fifteen when I first heard Around The Fur, that album always takes me back. I'm now 22 and I just think their new album is just beautiful. Beware and Combat I cant stop listening to, a combination of raw emotion and beautiful soaring melodies.

I appreciate you're opinion, I just hope I've explained a little where I'm coming from.

As for Incubus, SCIENCE was the first album I heard by them but Make Yourself just blew it out the water for me.

Its all good amyway.

Cool.. well for me Deftones and Incubus are fading away.. I just can't get into their new stuff.. but I'm glad I still have older bands that continue to interest me and get better.. ie: Pearl Jam, Ween, Radiohead ;)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Science is the best by far. One problem with Incubus now is their new bassist. Dirk Lance had such an awesome bass sound and he played sweet funkjy grooves. Their new bass player is so simple and lame sounding, most of the time he just follows the guitar. That is one reason why I think their newers songs lack the craziness of their old shit. I like some songs on ACLOTM, but I think Brandon's lyrics lacked a bit, "I want you bad!
    I want you bad! I understand why they say high school never ends"...what the fuck? Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find Light Grenades, I'd be grateful if you sent me a PM. I'm still interested in what Incubus have to offer.
    (Pow, ha!)
    Imagine your brain as a canister filled with ink, yeah
    now think of your body as the pen where the ink resides
    use the two, kapow! what are you now?
    you're the human magic marker
    won't you please surprise my eyes?
    it's in your nature, you can paint whatever picture you like
    no matter what Ted Koppel says on channel 4 tonight
    so modify this third rock from the sun
    by painting myriads of pictures with the colors of the one

I'm sick of painting in black and white
    my pen is dry, now I'm uptight
    so sick of limiting myself
    to fit your definition
    to fit your definition

Picture the scene, where whatever you thought would
    in the blink of an eye, manifest and become illustrated
    you'd be sure man that every line drawn
    reflected a life that you loved
    not an existence that you hated
    so must we demonstrate that we can't get it straight?
    we've painted a picture, now we're drowning in paint
    lets figure out what the fuck it's about
    before the picture we painted chews us up and spits us out

to fit your definition
    to fit your definition

Redefine
    oooh yeah

to fit your definition

Must we demonstrate that we can't get it straight?
    we've painted a picture, now we're drowning in paint
    lets figure out what the fuck it's about
    before the picture we painted chews us up and spits us out

Written by a 21 year old with a head full of psilocybin.. this is the stuff of theirs I love
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • the new songs are up... you can hear them by clicking the banner below:

Incubus_300x250a.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/incubus

"Light Grenades" dropped here in Aus today & it's stunning!
  • here are two new songs which are not on the new album. they were supposed to be, but didnt make the final cut.

enjoy!

'Punchdrunk' and 'Look Alive'.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0AS4K8QR
  • here are two new songs which are not on the new album. they were supposed to be, but didnt make the final cut.

enjoy!

'Punchdrunk' and 'Look Alive'.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0AS4K8QR

Maybe these will help me like the album more... here's hoping
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Listened to it yesterday for the first time, enjoyed it prefer Morning View, Make Yourself and Science but I think it will grow on me though.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Maybe these will help me like the album more... here's hoping

I dunno. I still consider these pretty bland. They're OK. It's a shame cus I love Incubus. I seem to be going through a 'Binaural' moment. When that came out, I went off them for a while. Only after a couple of years did I listen again and find both Binaural and Riot Act to be amazing albums. Maybe I'll come back to this album in a bit. It just doesn't surprise me. It sounds like Incubus, but there are no wow moments.

• bharQ wrote:
    Cool.. well for me Deftones and Incubus are fading away..

I totally agree.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Well, I have given it a shot, but the new album of Incubus is not that good imo. It's too static, and it doesn't surprise me...it's too much of the same...they took the wrong direction after Morning View...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    For me, this album just lacks a little passion, a little of the raw edge they once had. I'll listen to the album, but only as I sleep rather than dancing around my room! I won't criticise too much, because every band has a right to go their own way when it comes to their sound and who am I to criticise, but this year there have been a few disappointments :(
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • FOR ME THE MUDDY PRODUCTION LETS IT DOWN.

Was expecting more, miss the hip hop style grooves.

Nothing will match Morning View.