Top 20 British bands

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    icarus wrote:
    the libertines are the best british band of at least the last 10 years.

The Libertines suck donkeys bollocks, they are shit.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well, the wearing of school uniforms is pretty much compulsory (in schools anyway). Is that enough of a 'cultural impact' for you darling? And could you please refrain from using the eff word when you post at me, I hate it when girls swear. The facts are the facts sweetheart, ac/dc are loved here and always have been-we accepted them back into our british bosom and forgave their tresspasses,on the grounds that their mams and dads forced them to go because they were only 6 or 8 or something. Have you ever seen the live footage from Glasgow 1978? It's the show that is on the 'if you want blood...' album, and our home born heroes are decked out in their Scotland football strips, complete with tiny little, teeny, weeny, white 70's style footie shorts. How much more proof do you want shiela?
    Oh, and if you could arrange it with Kylie then I would appreciate it.

funny stuff jamie. school uniforms are compulsory here in australia. i could say it was due to angus' influence but...... :D
    and woop-de-doop about them wearing football guernseys. here in the colonies there is a fair amount of english club strip wearing. it is in most cases, simply a nod to that person's heritage. doesn't mean they want to be english or scottish. though personally i do have a thing for scots and northern english lads.
    and yes the facts are the facts sweetheart. could you be anymore derogatory, mate? :p sure england welcomed AC/DC with open arms but they are still australian. much the same way in which we aussies sometimes claim new zealanders as aussie, you have taken it upon yourselves to claim AC/DC.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    jamie uk wrote:
    Didn't break England until Back in Black? Are you effin mental or what? London, England is where they launched their full on assault on the world-they only got together in Australia. Bon, Angus and Malcolm are all Scottish born and bred-may have lived in Oz for 10 years, but that's it. Crumbs even the Aussie bass player bailed in 1977 and was replaced by yet another brit-a Londoner this time. They're as british as tea and toast! And BTW, earlier on someone else was pretty harsh on Brian, the geordie guy who replaced the cool dead guy! Fair play his voice is shot now, but that 1st album he cut with ac/dc is amazing-play it again, right now-and if you don't dance your ass off I'll eat nowt but vegamite sandwiches for a week (i think that's marmite-isn't it?)
    I'm claiming them man, and that's it-and as someone said I should claim the easybeats then I'll effin have them as well-it was Angus and Mal's brother after all-just watch out I don't have Kylie also (I should be so lucky,lucky,lucky,lucky) she's spent the last twenty odd years here!

Load up the vegemite mate, it's a a no-brainer, cos I don't dance !! Certainly not to the sound of a tomcat in a rabbit trap especially. Tell you what, you can have a few BUNDY rums to wash dwon the sangers !!

I thought I went preyy easy on him really, cockatoos are nice birds, if you count evil-minded sadistic noisy and destructive as nice things. LOL !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    icarus wrote:
    the libertines are the best british band of at least the last 10 years.
    You should do stand-up.

Here's my list. Pretty standard fare for the most part.

The Cure
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    Radiohead
    Oasis
    Blur
    The Clash
    The Kinks
    The Prodigy
    David Bowie
    Muse
    Queen
    The Police
    Depeche Mode
    The Who
    Massive Attack
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Rolling Stones
    ac/dc
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well, the wearing of school uniforms is pretty much compulsory (in schools anyway). Is that enough of a 'cultural impact' for you darling? And could you please refrain from using the eff word when you post at me, I hate it when girls swear. The facts are the facts sweetheart, ac/dc are loved here and always have been-we accepted them back into our british bosom and forgave their tresspasses,on the grounds that their mams and dads forced them to go because they were only 6 or 8 or something. Have you ever seen the live footage from Glasgow 1978? It's the show that is on the 'if you want blood...' album, and our home born heroes are decked out in their Scotland football strips, complete with tiny little, teeny, weeny, white 70's style footie shorts. How much more proof do you want shiela?
    Oh, and if you could arrange it with Kylie then I would appreciate it.

I've removed the expletive from my post to you and would appreciate if you would refrain from calling me darling, sweetheart or sheila and I'll clarify that I'm not a "girl". I am a woman. I've included a link from wiki regarding AC/DC just for the history lesson, which it would appear you are clearly in need of.
    No mention of them starting out their careers in England there. Yup, as I suspected, it's all about Oz. Anyway, it's neither here nor there. You believe what you will as I will continue with my own beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC/DC

And just so I make myself clear. I'm done with this conversation.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Queen
    Police
    The Rolling Stones
    The Beatles
    Deep Purple
    Status Quo
    The Kinks
    Sex Pistols
    Iron Maiden
    The Cure
    Joy Division/New Order
    Placebo
    Prodigy
    Skunk Anansie
    Gorillaz
    Duran Duran
    Adam & The Ants
    20/......???

Know I'm forgetting someone, so I'll leave 20 free for now, till it comes to me. :)

Aaah!! :D Knew it would come to me!!!

20/ Wings
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    There's been some discussion about Oasis in this thread so having seen them three times here's my opinion. Whatever your opinion on Oasis, they had a punk rock attitude that is definately lacking from most of todays British bands. Their first two albums were amazing, they write great songs about being young and have an impressive collection of b-sides to rival the Beatles. On the downside their set lists may have become static and boring over the years, playing the same hits and neglecting their lesser known material.

I couldn't make a list of 20 bands right now but Oasis would definately be on it. The only modern band i can think of that would make the list would be Razorlight (just forget the first album ever happened) Also anyone from the punk era - Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks. And of course, Led Zeppelin.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    jamie uk wrote:
    Crumbs, what a pissing list! It's supposed to be 20 great British bands-not 3 good ones, 35 shit ones and an Irish bloke (who is actually really fantastic-but deffo not British). Come on, you can do a lot better. Love, JUK

...well I happen to think the bands on my list are FANTASTIC - give me 35 shit ones over the Led Zeppelins, Black Sabbaths, Pink Floyds and Queens that pollute most other lists in this thread
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    sj.brodie wrote:
    There's been some discussion about Oasis in this thread so having seen them three times here's my opinion. Whatever your opinion on Oasis, they had a punk rock attitude that is definately lacking from most of todays British bands. Their first two albums were amazing, they write great songs about being young and have an impressive collection of b-sides to rival the Beatles. On the downside their set lists may have become static and boring over the years, playing the same hits and neglecting their lesser known material.

I couldn't make a list of 20 bands right now but Oasis would definitely be on it. The only modern band i can think of that would make the list would be Razorlight (just forget the first album ever happened) Also anyone from the punk era - Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks. And of course, Led Zeppelin.

I like Oasis sj. Well I like their music. Unfortunately I got buggered around with tickets when they were carrying on with their usual hissy fits and antics when they planned to tour here a few years ago. They announced the tour, cancelled, re scheduled and cancelled again I think before finally turning up and carrying on like petulant children. Anyway, it really put me off supporting them. So I like their music, but I've got no time for the histrionics. I can see why you like them though.
    Musically they are excellent.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the smiths
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    funny stuff jamie. school uniforms are compulsory here in australia. i could say it was due to angus' influence but...... :D
    and woop-de-doop about them wearing football guernseys. here in the colonies there is a fair amount of english club strip wearing. it is in most cases, simply a nod to that person's heritage. doesn't mean they want to be english or scottish. though personally i do have a thing for scots and northern english lads.
    and yes the facts are the facts sweetheart. could you be anymore derogatory, mate? :p sure england welcomed AC/DC with open arms but they are still australian. much the same way in which we aussies sometimes claim new zealanders as aussie, you have taken it upon yourselves to claim AC/DC.
    O.K. I submit. I love ac/dc, and for Devilment I sometimes claim they're Brits-but I don't really give a shit. And I suppose you're creatively outraged by my derogatory comments 'sweetheart'-but simply cos you called me 'dear' I thought I'd see how far you would take it.-I love you for that, please,please, I hope you have enjoyed these couple of posts, it's a bit boring when we all agree. Smashing stuff here the last 2 days, I hope you enjoyed it. Here are the facts obtaned; some of ac/dc were born in the UK/ Crowded House are Kiwis/ I'm a mischievous tosser/ and you have balls the size of Sydney bridge! Love to you all, see youin Madrid (3 weeks tonight!!!!!).God bless, Love to all,JUK.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    Todd76 wrote:
    ...well I happen to think the bands on my list are FANTASTIC - give me 35 shit ones over the Led Zeppelins, Black Sabbaths, Pink Floyds and Queens that pollute most other lists in this thread
    Hi, I really don't have that much time!But although I love the idea of a Pearl Jam fan in Canada listening to british music, I have to say your list was pretty light weight. Try some Iron Maiden, Saxon, come on the Beatles and Zepp were not the only pre 1980's bands from Blighty. Try the Widhearts-they set the tone for 90's rock in the UK-there's no one better! Love to all, JUK.
    Load up the vegemite mate, it's a a no-brainer, cos I don't dance !! Certainly not to the sound of a tomcat in a rabbit trap especially. Tell you what, you can have a few BUNDY rums to wash dwon the sangers !!

I thought I went preyy easy on him really, cockatoos are nice birds, if you count evil-minded sadistic noisy and destructive as nice things. LOL !!!!!
    Harsh is what you were man, and there's no excuse. You get Back in Black, and I tell you-you'll realise these guys were ahead of the game. They should be applauded for it, not ridiculed. Put the MF on top Volume, and you will be twitching like a MF'er-and I'll bet you that if we ever met EV or any other band member that they would put that album in their top 10. So shut up you git, and get some in......gonna shoot to thrill......ready to kill! Come on, love ya, JUK.
    Jeanie wrote:
    I've removed the expletive from my post to you and would appreciate if you would refrain from calling me darling, sweetheart or sheila and I'll clarify that I'm not a "girl". I am a woman. I've included a link from wiki regarding AC/DC just for the history lesson, which it would appear you are clearly in need of.
    No mention of them starting out their careers in England there. Yup, as I suspected, it's all about Oz. Anyway, it's neither here nor there. You believe what you will as I will continue with my own beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC/DC

And just so I make myself clear. I'm done with this conversation.
    Fair enough, sorry mmmmmmnnnnooooo!There you go,is a kiss on the cheek OK for you? I'm not sexist, but you Shielas take a bit of handling-and you know you enjoyed it!. Love to al, JUK.
    jamie uk wrote:
    O.K. I submit. I love ac/dc, and for Devilment I sometimes claim they're Brits-but I don't really give a shit. And I suppose you're creatively outraged by my derogatory comments 'sweetheart'-but simply cos you called me 'dear' I thought I'd see how far you would take it.-I love you for that, please,please, I hope you have enjoyed these couple of posts, it's a bit boring when we all agree. Smashing stuff here the last 2 days, I hope you enjoyed it. Here are the facts obtaned; some of ac/dc were born in the UK/ Crowded House are Kiwis/ I'm a mischievous tosser/ and you have balls the size of Sydney bridge! Love to you all, see youin Madrid (3 weeks tonight!!!!!).God bless, Love to all,JUK.

no no no jamie. crowded house are an AUSTRALIAN band. :rolleyes: sheesh did we not teach you anything? :D:p

oh and it weren't me calling you dear. but whatever, much ado about nothing really. cheers. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Jeanie wrote:
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Queen
    Police
    The Rolling Stones
    The Beatles
    Deep Purple
    Status Quo
    The Kinks
    Sex Pistols
    Iron Maiden
    The Cure
    Joy Division/New Order
    Placebo
    Prodigy
    Skunk Anansie
    Gorillaz
    Duran Duran
    Adam & The Ants
    20/......???

Know I'm forgetting someone, so I'll leave 20 free for now, till it comes to me. :)

Aaah!! :D Knew it would come to me!!!

20/ Wings

I would have Placebo in my list but I dont class them as british.:)

what do you class them as then, otherworldly? :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    what do you class them as then, otherworldly? :D:p

Well they're a mixed bag Canadian, Sweedish and the drummer is from Switzerland.
    Well they're a mixed bag Canadian, Sweedish and the drummer is from Switzerland.

really? steve hewitt is swiss? no way.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460

speaking of placebo... i am pretty sure that i have 'listened' to this video 15 times non-stop tonight...~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9ajIZ6LRs&mode=related&search=

:D
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

really? steve hewitt is swiss? no way.

Fuck knows, there is something to do with Switzerland in there I'm tired.:)
    Fuck knows, there is something to do with Switzerland in there I'm tired.:)

well both brian and stefan went to school for a bit in luxembourg. i guess thats close enough when you're tired. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    speaking of placebo... i am pretty sure that i have 'listened' to this video 15 times non-stop tonight...~

OMG etr!!!! :D:D I'm pretty sure that I'm just getting started on at least 15 times today!! :D Thank you sooooooooooooo much. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    jamie uk wrote:
    Harsh is what you were man, and there's no excuse. You get Back in Black, and I tell you-you'll realise these guys were ahead of the game. They should be applauded for it, not ridiculed. Put the MF on top Volume, and you will be twitching like a MF'er-and I'll bet you that if we ever met EV or any other band member that they would put that album in their top 10. So shut up you git, and get some in......gonna shoot to thrill......ready to kill! Come on, love ya, JUK.

Aw man, Back in Black was the last album I heard by them. Never was much of a fan really, don't ask me why cos I don't know. I think I always found Angus' solos didn't contain any of the song melody, never hit his target notes if you like. Some of the riffs are cool though, I play a few snippets, not much. Malcolm gets points for playing a Gretsch though, but I always thought it was a double cut LP til I learnt better recently.
    Aw man, Back in Black was the last album I heard by them. Never was much of a fan really, don't ask me why cos I don't know. I think I always found Angus' solos didn't contain any of the song melody, never hit his target notes if you like. Some of the riffs are cool though, I play a few snippets, not much. Malcolm gets points for playing a Gretsch though, but I always thought it was a double cut LP til I learnt better recently.

does he now? i like me a nice gretsch. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jamie uk wrote:
    Fair enough, sorry mmmmmmnnnnooooo!There you go,is a kiss on the cheek OK for you? I'm not sexist, but you Shielas take a bit of handling-and you know you enjoyed it!. Love to al, JUK.

Hmmm.....kiss on the cheek?.........and get boy germs? :eek: :p.....let me get to know you a little better first! I'm not that easy! ;)

aah Jamie, I realize that last bit should say Love to all, and not that I'm picking on your typing in anyway, but if only you knew the confusion you caused with Love to al. :D Actually, that was a damn good laugh!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift

And not to be a nuisance, but I'd just like to thank you again ETR for the last four hours of awsome tunes! :)
    That is one fine concert! I love how it's filmed and I love how it sounds! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • blue rosesblue roses Posts: 49
    please don't forget

Maximo Park
    The Automatic
    Keane
    The Kooks
    The Rakes
    Art Brut
    Dirty Pretty Things
    We Are Scientists
    does he now? i like me a nice gretsch. :)

hmmmmmm, i'm sensing irony, but you could be a closet trainspotter.

I could bore you sensless with fun guitar facts, but i think you would be LBMB !!

On the other hand, you might be inerested in a pic of my darling Violet, let me know.
    hmmmmmm, i'm sensing irony, but you could be a closet trainspotter.

I could bore you sensless with fun guitar facts, but i think you would be LBMB !!

On the other hand, you might be inerested in a pic of my darling Violet, let me know.

and there's no irony here. i am seriously in love with gretschs.

if darling violet is a fat arse gretsch, then yes i am very interested lucy. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say