Top 20 British bands

Comments

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I'm struggling for 20, and I'm a Brit. I have to disagree with Feeder, not up to the mark for me-sorry.
    Here's the 20.
    Led Zeppelin
    The Beatles
    Black Sabbath
    The Who
    Queen
    AC/DC (3/5 of the original and 4/5 present line up are/were british-so leave it)
    Richie Blackmore's Rainbow (1st 3 albums or so)
    Sex Pistols
    The Damned
    UFO
    Iron Maiden
    Saxon
    Whitesnake (for the 1st 3 albums or so)
    Radiohead
    James
    Manic Street Preachers
    Wildhearts
    The Cult
    Robert Plant & the Strange Sensation
    Muse.
    Personally I left out the Clash as I feel they are the most over-rated band ever. Not terrible, but over-rated.
    Come on get stuck into my list!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    OMG!!! :D I worshipped the Bay City Rollers!! :D

Of course you wouldn't expect anything less from me, right cate? ;)

oh jeanie. there are some things that must remain secret. a love for the bay city rollers is one of them. :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jamie uk wrote:
    AC/DC (3/5 of the original and 4/5 present line up are/were british-so leave it)

no i'm not gonna leave it. as an australian, you know i have to protest. :D

there is no way AC/DC can be considered british.

there are too many australians who come to this country by the same route as the boys in AC/DC. do you want to claim them all?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    no i'm not gonna leave it. as an australian, you know i have to protest. :D

there is no way AC/DC can be considered british.

there are too many australians who come to this country by the same route as the boys in AC/DC. do you want to claim them all?
    Hey, I knew someone would be straight in-bloody Aussies, as if winning the cricket isn't enough-now they won't even let us claim ac/dc as our own. I have to admit it was on my mind about the origins of the band, and then a couple of years ago my usual rock magazine tried to claim them as brits kind of officially-and all hell broke loose.
    Well as ac/dc are still joint number 1 band of all time for me (guess who ties it) I think I will allow you joint ownership and nothing more. The facts,my friend are the facts-3/5 of the 1st line up were british born, you supplied the drummer and bass player (until we had to soon replace him to make it 4/5). Even Dave Evans, the real original singer was a brit-a Welsh man like me in fact. So as, on reflection, we struggle 4 rock acts-I'm afraid we're reclaiming ac/dc. ....please,please.......come back! Love ya,JUK
    jamie uk wrote:
    Hey, I knew someone would be straight in-bloody Aussies, as if winning the cricket isn't enough-now they won't even let us claim ac/dc as our own. I have to admit it was on my mind about the origins of the band, and then a couple of years ago my usual rock magazine tried to claim them as brits kind of officially-and all hell broke loose.
    Well as ac/dc are still joint number 1 band of all time for me (guess who ties it) I think I will allow you joint ownership and nothing more. The facts,my friend are the facts-3/5 of the 1st line up were british born, you supplied the drummer and bass player (until we had to soon replace him to make it 4/5). Even Dave Evans, the real original singer was a brit-a Welsh man like me in fact. So as, on reflection, we struggle 4 rock acts-I'm afraid we're reclaiming ac/dc. ....please,please.......come back! Love ya,JUK

hey we let you win the ashes, once, didn't we? :D:p

i dont care who was british born. shit my own children are first generation australian on their father's side. he was born in south africa of british parents. that deosn't make his south african or even british. and when you consider that australia was a colony it only stands to reason your junk gets tossed out onto our soil.
    so no way JUK you're not getting them. AC/DC are australian. they are quite possibly the biggest musical influence for rock bands in this country. there's even a lane in melbourne named after them. how about we have a day/nighter to settle the matter? we'll even field our second string team to make it more of a contest. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    hey we let you win the ashes, once, didn't we? :D:p

i dont care who was british born. shit my own children are first generation australian on their father's side. he was born in south africa of british parents. that deosn't make his south african or even british. and when you consider that australia was a colony it only stands to reason your junk gets tossed out onto our soil.
    so no way JUK you're not getting them. AC/DC are australian. they are quite possibly the biggest musical influence for rock bands in this country. there's even a lane in melbourne named after them. how about we have a day/nighter to settle the matter? we'll even field our second string team to make it more of a contest. :p:D
    Come on, you've still got INXS, Crowded House, Men at Work-and Kylie & Jason. Now you got Wolfmother, and Jet! I think you should accept the inevitable-AC/DC are and always have been brits. And your a bit harsh on yourself there about the junk an stuff-I've got close family in Oz, I don't consider them junk. As for a day nighter, well it's 10 to midnight here so this is as close as were likely to get.Love, JUK
    p.s. I bet you're just a bit peed off that we're getting our Jam again this summer-it's about time those damned yankees realised which side their bread was buttered!
    Oh, and you've got Midnight Oil-how many more do you want?
    jamie uk wrote:
    Come on, you've still got INXS, Crowded House, Men at Work-and Kylie & Jason. Now you got Wolfmother, and Jet! I think you should accept the inevitable-AC/DC are and always have been brits. And your a bit harsh on yourself there about the junk an stuff-I've got close family in Oz, I don't consider them junk. As for a day nighter, well it's 10 to midnight here so this is as close as were likely to get.Love, JUK
    p.s. I bet you're just a bit peed off that we're getting our Jam again this summer-it's about time those damned yankees realised which side their bread was buttered!

i meant junk endearingly of course. i have close family who are australian too. :D

oh god yeah jason. what was i thinking. :rolleyes: :D

you know we are so much more musically that those you listed.

you am i
    the saints
    radio birdman
    the triffids
    the go betweens
    custard
    the drones
    the butterfly effect
    powderfinger
    godstar
    the hummingbirds
    smudge
    dallas crane
    the fumes
    silverchair
    augie march
    howling bells

i could go on, but i shan't. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • What about IDLWILD , can't forget them if people are going to include shite like Keane and the stereophonics. Rember the Albert hall gig with the Who in 2001 Ed stole the show for me, beat them all on their own turf!
    jamie uk wrote:
    Oh, and you've got Midnight Oil-how many more do you want?

we want what's ours jamie. :D

and how could i have forgotten nick cave and the bad seeds.

tis too early in the morning for me to be thinking.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • You Aussies can't have Olivia Newton-John, either. She's from Cambridge.

On second thoughts, you can take her. :D
    You Aussies can't have Olivia Newton-John, either. She's from Cambridge.

are you disparaging our livvy fins? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • are you disparaging our livvy fins? :D

I wouldn't mind, even at her age. Oh, wait. You said disparaging. I thought you said something else. :D
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    well i care. :) call me crazy but i'd prefer that my brilliant songs not be nicked from other bands basically. :D

BIttersweet SYmphony was written by Jagger/Richards, does that still count as a rip-off ??
    Music is not a competetion.
    BIttersweet SYmphony was written by Jagger/Richards, does that still count as a rip-off ??

well...the brits have a theory about that luce. best i stay quiet. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • well...the brits have a theory about that luce. best i stay quiet. :)

Did you ever hear F**kin With My Head, by Beck? It was on Mellow Gold. It was a deliberate rip off of The Last Time, but very very funny.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:jcfixx9jld0e~T

Oh, you only hear it at the end of this tiny clip...
    Did you ever hear F*kin With My Head, by Beck? It was on Mellow Gold. It was a deliberate rip off of The Last Time, but very very funny.

i dont listen to beck. he fucks with my head. :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well...the brits have a theory about that luce. best i stay quiet. :)

OK, I'm thinking that since FPC has claimed Hendrix on the basis that the Experience was formed in London, so that gives you AC/DC on a plate.
  • AC/DC are Australian, apart from that Geordie with the voice like he had the shits, who replaced the cool dead guy who liked breaking out of jails.
    OK, I'm thinking that since FPC has claimed Hendrix on the basis that the Experience was formed in London, so that gives you AC/DC on a plate.

if jamieUK is gonna claim AC/DC he should also be claiming the easybeats. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    AC/DC are Australian, apart from that Geordie with the voice like he had the shits, who replaced the cool dead guy who liked breaking out of jails.

Amazing, I liked the cool dead guy too, Bon Scott, cold never stand the other guy, NEVER EVER sounded like he was singing, always sounded like a cockatoo imitating a lawnmower.

They had some cool riffs though, someone taught me HIghway to hell recently, I was amused to see it shares chords with Betterman.

• They had some cool riffs though, someone taught me HIghway to hell recently, I was amused to see it shares chords with Betterman.

*Thinks, plays, picks, puts down guitar in shock.*

:D
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    oh jeanie. there are some things that must remain secret. a love for the bay city rollers is one of them. :D:D

I have NO shame!!! :D

Love all that teeny bobber shit from the dark ages!

Sean Cassidy, David Cassidy, The Monkees! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    *Thinks, plays, picks, puts down guitar in shock.*

:D

HAdn't you noticed that before ??

That beautiful funny shape that Ed picks the intro with turns into a raging animal when forced out of a Gretsch into a Marshall !!
    Jeanie wrote:

clearly you have no shame jeanie. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HAdn't you noticed that before ??

That beautiful funny shape that Ed picks the intro with turns into a raging animal when forced out of a Gretsch into a Marshall !!

I don't usually listen to Betterman. (Shhhh. Don't tell people that. I hear there are some Pearl Jam fans around here.) :D

No, wait, actually, it's the other way around. I don't usually listen to AC/DC.

Which would make me AD/CC/PJ/JP/or somethin'. :D
  • Jeanie wrote:

The Monkees rock. Here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNxuNaYHsk
    You Aussies can't have Olivia Newton-John, either. She's from Cambridge.

Fins if you can claim Jimi Hendrix, we can claim Livvy! :)

And AC/DC who where all raised in Perth. Can't get more Aussie than that!!
    Not to mention that I do believe they had Australian citizenship! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    jamie uk wrote:

Crowded House are Kiwi. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    OH MY GOD PEOPLE!!

The cool dead guy from AC/DC is the legend BON SCOTT!!!

:rolleyes: cool dead guy????? Pffft!!!

BON SCOTT!!! That's BON SCOTT!!!

Are we clear? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift