Do vocals completely ruin any bands for you?

Comments

• Sorry, I don't agree - it's a pretty subjective thing isn't it.

Don't get me wrong. I respect your opinion or anyone elses. People thinking they're always right is my biggest pet peeve, especially on forums.

We could argue whether it's good or not, but I still think it's hard to deny how unique and recognizable Maynard's voice is, whether that's a good or bad thing.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    System Of A Down has quite the terrible singer, his vocals are ridiculous. Dont like their sound much either besides for a couple songs off the first record. John Mayer has some great guitar too but his vocals suck, dont really like his music anyways.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I actually like Geddy's voice!

me too, i love his voice. but how can anyone say maynard ruins tool?!!?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    me too, i love his voice. but how can anyone say maynard ruins tool?!!?

I never said he ruins Tool. I think they are a decent/good band. But they are not a great band, and as I said, all their songs sound the same. Maynard is partly responsible for that, but not solely.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • System Of A Down has quite the terrible singer, his vocals are ridiculous. Dont like their sound much either besides for a couple songs off the first record. John Mayer has some great guitar too but his vocals suck, dont really like his music anyways.

John Mayer indeed. Can't believe I didn't think of that one.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Janis Joplin?

Burn in hell.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    boroff89 wrote:
    I have contended on several occasions that every Tool song essentially sounds the same. I believe Soulsinging has my back on this one. Part of the reason the songs always sound the same is because of Maynard's vocal limitations.

i do. i'd say it's the whole package though, not just his vocals. they don't ruin tool for me. tool ruins tool for me.

i would also like to toss my support to whoever mentioned cornell/soundgarden. i forgot that one. used to be legendary for it. but i can't get on board with his voice.
    His voice is one of the most unique and recognizable out of any of today's GOOD rock bands.

Umphrey's McGee is an incredibly talented jam band. Their singing doesn't last long but it's terrible.

Dave Matthews Band. I used to love it but now his voice is the weakest part of the band. Can't stand it.

isn't that the case with almost all jam bands though? the only one i ever heard with vocals worth hearing was ekoostik hookah.

good call on dave. him and john mayer. i don't know what they're doing with their voices, but it feels so artificial.
  • Built to Spill

I would really love that band if they had a different singer.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Janis Joplin?

Burn in hell.

Amen.
    The Original Poster ALSO goes on to say the same about Jane's Addiction later, only to be backed by ANOTHER guy who says the SAME thing about DYLAN.

UGHHHH!

Janis and Perry are like near the top of the field (not to even mention Bob)!
    :( :( :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Amen.
    The Original Poster ALSO goes on to say the same about Jane's Addiction later, only to be backed by ANOTHER guy who says the SAME thing about DYLAN.

UGHHHH!

Janis and Perry are like near the top of the field (not to even mention Bob)!
    :( :( :(

Yelling in a raspy voice does not constitute singing
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Yelling in a raspy voice does not constitute singing

And yet you have no problems with Pearl Jam?

:rolleyes:

sweet mercy.
    :(
    And yet you have no problems with Pearl Jam?

:rolleyes:

sweet mercy.
    :(

Eddie sings, doesnt yell.....sure, he may yell in some parts but it is nothing like Janis Joplin
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Eddie sings, doesnt yell.....sure, he may yell in some parts but it is nothing like Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin -- Yelling or singing?

Eddie Vedder -- Yelling or singing?

Guess it depends on what your refering to specificaly, but huh?
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Saturnal wrote:
    Radiohead

You'll get killed for saying that on here haha, but i agree Thom Yorke isn't the best vocalist ever, but it doesn't totally ruin the band i.m.o

But i'm going to be really un-Australian and say Midnight Oil amazing lyrics and melodies but i've never liked the vocals that much. And the smiths and morrissey i agree with.
    Janis Joplin -- Yelling or singing?

Eddie Vedder -- Yelling or singing?

Guess it depends on what your refering to specificaly, but huh?

dude, i just realized that ed and janis joplin are the SAME PERSON! :)
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I love Smashing Pumpkins music but I can't stand Billy Corgan's voice and I cannot stand Ween. I never understood how that band made it big. It drives me nuts.

I'm suprised no one has said Corin Tucker from Sleater Kinney. I love them but I know that most can't stand her voice!
  • Liam puts me off Oasis big time....

They have some cracking songs but Noel should sing...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Liam puts me off Oasis big time....

They have some cracking songs but Noel should sing...

Liams voice has kinda gone to shit but he used to have a much better voice than Noel
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Liams voice has kinda gone to shit but he used to have a much better voice than Noel

yeah, maybe in 1996, ever since Liams been a joke, Noel's a good songwriter, such a shame...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yet there is absolutely nothing original about oasis or the redwalls.

originality is over-rated. and homophobia is for closet cases.
    You do know that it was pjoasisrule that likes those bands and not me right??!

:) I was the one who called him on the homophobia.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You do know that it was pjoasisrule that likes those bands and not me right??!

:) I was the one who called him on the homophobia.

Its not homophobia, its just that I picked out the easiest thing to make fun of him for.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    Dave Matthews Band. Can't stand the voice but love the sound of the band.
  • Its not homophobia, its just that I picked out the easiest thing to make fun of him for.

So it's homophobia then....

because homosexuality is OBVIOUSLY the easiest thing to make fun of someone for.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Its not homophobia, its just that I picked out the easiest thing to make fun of him for.

...because you're homophobic.

And apparently, you're a bit slow. :D
    ...because you're homophobic.

And apparently, you're a bit slow. :D

I have nothing against homos unless they are Morrissey
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I have nothing against homos unless they are Morrissey

Right.

I'm sure that even some of your best friends are "homos".
    Right.

I'm sure that even some of your best friends are "homos".

I dont have many gay friends but I do respect the ones that are even though I do find it a bit weird. I dont even know why you are trying to argue with me, Morrissey is homophobic against himself, the guy wont even admit that he is gay because he is ashamed of himself.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I dont have many gay friends but I do respect the ones that are even though I do find it a bit weird. I dont even know why you are trying to argue with me, Morrissey is homophobic against himself, the guy wont even admit that he is gay because he is ashamed of himself.

Seriously, did Morrissey do something to you? Something... homosexual?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    Seriously, did Morrissey do something to you? Something... homosexual?

He did nothing to me, I just hate his music and cant stand his attitude. He tries way too hard to be controversial.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006