Do vocals completely ruin any bands for you?

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Which part of this article explains your homophobia?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ohhh that explains everything. It IS homophobia.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Mute Math, musically, is amazing...but the singer's voice totally turns me off...however, the live show is worth seeing despite this...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan has got such an annoying whiny drone... sounds like a banshee.

agreed. he nails it on some songs though, but in general i can't listen to him for extended periods.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Corgan's voice doesen't put me off the Pumpkins completely, becuase they're an extremely talented band and when Corgan does it right, it's absoutely amazing. But sometimes he takes it a bit too far I think and it just grates on you.

The guy from Kings of Leon needs to tone it down. I don't know what 'it' is but his voice is just annoying. They aint bad live though.

I know a friend who refuses to listen to Soundgarden or Audioslave purely because he absoutely hates Chris Cornell's voice.
  • muppet wrote:

I know a friend who refuses to listen to Soundgarden or Audioslave purely because he absoutely hates Chris Cornell's voice.

Ha Ha Ha! I can see not listening to Audioslave, but Soundgarden?
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I dunno, some of Soungarden's earlier stuff is pretty alienating. I dig Cornell's voice but I can see why some other people don't.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Led Zeppelin

that guy is real nasal...real annoying vocalist;)

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention Percy ;)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Rush is the only one that immediately comes to mind for me.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments like that make it hard for me to argue with people who say that "the worst thing about Pearl Jam is their fans."
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • lay off morrisey. i dont get why you cant just stick to criticisms of his music, its bad enough without people getting personal! The smiths? Fuckin clown shoes.

I love janes addiction and kinda like the crappy vocals, its suits them...and they are phenomenal live

but i get people's point about Billy. proper whiny voice.

i cant stand bob dylans voice either, for pretty much the same reasons.
    And the guy from dashboard confessional

i also get irritated when singers feel the need to show their entire range in one song, aka justin timberlake, mariah carey, celine dion and co

Gis some lanegan anyday...

Btw, why dont people like mjk's vocals? I love cornell's vocals but can accept people having an aversion to them, just about, but maynard? wtf?
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Life of Agony....:(

Keith Caputo's voice is like nails on a blackboard...

I can't get past it.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I like VNV Nation in spite of the singer's voice.

I wish I liked Jim James' voice (My Morning Jacket) because I like the way the band plays, but I just don't like that high a pitch.

Radiohead for the same reason, unfortunately.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Life of Agony....:(

Keith Caputo's voice is like nails on a blackboard...

I can't get past it.
    His voice is ace on the title track of River Runs Red. Suits the forcefulness :)

"GOT THE RAZOR AT MY WRIST COS I CAN'T RESIIIIIST"
    :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Radiohead for sure

How could anyone say Tool? That's ridiculous.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Coheed and Cambria was the first band that popped into my head.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I dislike Buckcherry intensely but I appreciate your sentiment :) I just like my cock-led rock music to be more original, like The Jesus Lizard (almost literally, singer used his testicles as a percussion instrument :D)

yet there is absolutely nothing original about oasis or the redwalls.

originality is over-rated. and homophobia is for closet cases.
  • Radiohead for sure

How could anyone say Tool? That's ridiculous.

I think the Tool singer sucks.... not because he's got a bad voice, it's just totally indistinct.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Another one I can't get used to is Neil Young.

Great songs though....
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    suns22 wrote:
    Coheed and Cambria was the first band that popped into my head.

I'll second this one. I can't even begin to explore this band because the second I hear the vocals, I cringe.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • jammerfall wrote:
    Comments like that make it hard for me to argue with people who say that "the worst thing about Pearl Jam is their fans."

lol, so true. :rolleyes:
  • I think the Tool singer sucks.... not because he's got a bad voice, it's just totally indistinct.

His voice is one of the most unique and recognizable out of any of today's GOOD rock bands.

Umphrey's McGee is an incredibly talented jam band. Their singing doesn't last long but it's terrible.

Dave Matthews Band. I used to love it but now his voice is the weakest part of the band. Can't stand it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • His voice is one of the most unique and recognizable out of any of today's GOOD rock bands.

Agreed. I think his voice is really outstanding. I'm surprised to see his name in this thread.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I can't stand Tool or Perfect Circle's vocals.
    I don't get why people don't like Billy Corgan's voice,no one else sings like the guy.That's what makes him so amazing.
    Oddly enough,I don't particularly like Roger Daltry's voice either,not saying it's bad or anything, I know he's great it's just not to my taste.Possibly because I prefer Ed singing Who songs.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • His voice is one of the most unique and recognizable out of any of today's GOOD rock bands

Sorry, I don't agree - it's a pretty subjective thing isn't it.

System of a Down is another big one for me. Serj's voice is so painful.

As for Tool and Maynard, his voice doesn't bother me enough to keep me from listening to them. However, his lack of range is part of what keeps me from thinking of Tool as a great band.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    System of a Down is another big one for me. Serj's voice is so painful.

As for Tool and Maynard, his voice doesn't bother me enough to keep me from listening to them. However, his lack of range is part of what keeps me from thinking of Tool as a great band.

^There you go that's putting it well. Lack of range. Lack of power. He sings strangely quietly considering the intensity of the music.

• What the fuck is this.....American Idol???

His voice doesn't have the range to make them a good band???

....well thank you Randy Jackson:)
    the Minions
    What the fuck is this.....American Idol???

His voice doesn't have the range to make them a good band???

....well thank you Randy Jackson:)

I have contended on several occasions that every Tool song essentially sounds the same. I believe Soulsinging has my back on this one. Part of the reason the songs always sound the same is because of Maynard's vocal limitations.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I have contended on several occasions that every Tool song essentially sounds the same. I believe Soulsinging has my back on this one. Part of the reason the songs always sound the same is because of Maynard's vocal limitations.

Nod nod.

Strangest Tribe, why does Randy Jackson's opinion have anything to with it. This is my personal opinion. No need to act like God himself disagrees with me.