Albums that you do not understand the fascination with

124»

Comments

• Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I feel The Clash is a much better album but it never gets the recognition of London Calling

Agreed
    Be excellent to each other
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    What is it with this thing that I see all the time about every double album "should have only been one disc, too mcuh filleR"????????? I mean the fucking Wall for christs sake. Most of you kids knocking this were not even born before the Berlin Wall came down, and you are so fucking ignorant of how powerful this album was in it's own time and place.
    It's not about the Berlin Wall, but it still played a big part in bringing it down. And STadium Arcadium, sure not every moment is electricity, but it's nice and soothing, and great driving music, and every fucking expert edit cuts a differnt set from it for the wonderful single disc it should have been, which proves there is just the right number of songs, one for everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you kids realise that filler is OK ?? And who the fuck are you to start telling every artist what to put on their albums ?? Go become a producer and an agent, then you can do that.

Meantime, leave the filler alone, it's not fucking hurting you or anybody, but it creates some space in which to live and breathe. Space is good, the "it's gotta be now, and it better be exciting" gerneration is headed fopr major burnout by about , oh age 17 at this rate. You are all so bored already !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok you might be right about not being borned when it came out. but im paying extra for a second disc. and when i think the concept is drawn out longer than it needs to be then that means there is filler. look at the who's tommy album you cut out some of that but you miss part of the story. bob dylans blonde on blonde is an awesome double album. and i never said the wall as a 2 album deal was bad, its still good. but its not as great as its made out to be. you even admitted it has filler. if it really was a great album it would be great all around. if the wall was a one disc album it would be great and id argue with anyone who said it wasnt great then. but as it stands the wall doesnt live up to its hype.

and dont think cause im younger than you that im some stupid kid that just listens to thrash music. the wall is over rated, period. i listen to plenty of mellow music, simon and garfunkel, cat stevens, neil young. but filler is filler and filler sucks. how about a good song inplace of filler, or extend some solos in there. we all know floyd could do that. why not make mother an 8 minute song and then remove some of the filler. one more thing if you think filler is ok then go buy nickelback im sure youll get a whole album of filler.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but the albums I don't understand all the fascination with would be any of the Radiohead albums. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Radiohead and I think Radiohead are a good band. I even really like a couple of their songs. I just don't get why people seem to think they are the second coming of Jesus.

PearlJamaholic, your sig is hilarious. Where did you find that?
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but the albums I don't understand all the fascination with would be any of the Radiohead albums. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Radiohead and I think Radiohead are a good band. I even really like a couple of their songs. I just don't get why people seem to think they are the second coming of Jesus.

PearlJamaholic, your sig is hilarious. Where did you find that?

someone posted it on the board awhile ago. its part of the what if wwii was fought online or something. ill see if i can dig it up.

found it http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=209091
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I just don't get the fascination with The Flaming Lips. I know they have a gazillion fans and there are people who think they're the second coming, but personally I can't stand them. I saw them at Sasquatch '06 and I thought they were awful (Ben Harper, Gomez, and The Tragically Hip blew them out of the water). I mean seriously-- the giant plastic bubble, the confetti cannons, etc... is all that crap really necessary? Their live show is obviously more about the "show" and creating a circus-like atmosphere, while the songs themselves are secondary. I'll admit the plastic bubble was mildly funny, but it was also completely stupid and unnecessary. Enough with the silly theatrics and just play the damn songs.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    someone posted it on the board awhile ago. its part of the what if wwii was fought online or something. ill see if i can dig it up.

found it http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=209091
    haha! That was great!

And direwolf74, I don't get the fascination with the Flaming Lips either.