Albums that you do not understand the fascination with

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Arctic Monkeys (anything they have released)
    Radiohead - Ok Computer
    The Beatles - White Album
    The Smiths - Anything by them
    The Stone Roses
    The Strokes - Is This It
    Beck - Odelay
    The Pixies - Dolittle
    The Clash - London Calling
    Love - Forever Changes
    Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

By the way, I like about half of these artists but I just dont understand why critics and fans love these albums

So basically, you feel MxPx, THE Fray, The Vines, and Del Ther Funky Homosapien are all worthy of having threads dedicated to them

but The Pixies, The Smiths, The Clash, And Radiohead are over rated, I just wanted to get that straight
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Brainofdz wrote:
    So basically, you feel MxPx, THE Fray, The Vines, and Del Ther Funky Homosapien are all worthy of having threads dedicated to them

but The Pixies, The Smiths, The Clash, And Radiohead are over rated, I just wanted to get that straight

Yes
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Oasis's "What's the Story Morning Glory" and anything by U2 except for "Pop" which was at least interesting.

Yeah, the videos at least were something to look at rather than look away in boredom/disgust. the rest of their carrer is a drag to me.

The White Album is deserved. Rust Never Sleeps is deserved

Metallica - All of it - Megadeth is way better
    Pantera - Not good
    Stones - Good, but not great. Strip away the fortunate theatricality of the brits - an above average american rock band sound.
    Acdc -awful
  • EBowie wrote:
    Those lyrics fit in with the entire theme of the album. Also, it's very easy to pick out four lines, at random, from a given song on pretty much any album and say, "See, this is why it sucks". Bad example brother.

The theme was ill-conceived to start with, and the album often sounds as if Townshend had some scraps of songs he didn't know what to do with, and tried to fit them around the concept, maaan. I can go through the entire album and find multiple examples of where the characterisations of the four personae within Jimmy are marred by the lyrics, which voice silly cartoon caricatures of the respective band members.

Let's stick with Dr Jimmy - presumably a song voicing the "Daltrey" character of the four - because it sums up why the whole album misses the mark:

You say she's a virgin.
    I'm gonna be the first in.
    Her fellah's gonna kill me
    Oh fucking will he.
    I'm seeing double
    But don't miss me if you can.
    There's gonna be trouble
    When she choses her man.

That sounds like something from Jerry Springer, the Opera, but not as clever.

I'll respect anyone's musical tastes and opinions, but for me, Quadrophenia is a bit silly.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Pink Floyd - The Wall (this could easily be a one disc album)
    Led Zeppelin - zoso (its good, but its rather boring after a few listens)
    NIN - Year Zero (its still new but i think this is an awful album by trent)
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (sex pistols are to punk what creed is to grunge)

thats all i can think of right now.

i must say i strongly disagree with doolittle though. i think surfer rosa is better but i think almost anyone that likes alternative music should see why doolittle is a classic.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (sex pistols are to punk what creed is to grunge)

i must say i strongly disagree with doolittle though. i think surfer rosa is better but i think almost anyone that likes alternative music should see why doolittle is a classic.

I agree about The Wall, too much filler for a double album.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Yes
    hang yourself now .

;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I see where you're coming from FinsburyParkCarrots. But maybe your perception of those lyrics was exactly what the band were attempting to achieve all along. I appreciate the album for what it is as a whole--the sounds of the drums and guitars especially. The beauty of lyrics is that there is no right or wrong. Certainly, lyrics will appeal to some and not to others. But isn't that what makes music so great?--the freedom of expression--if you like it, fine, and if you don't like it, fine as well.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    The Beatles- Sgt Pepper (The most overated album of all time)
    Radiohead- OK Computer (Pick up The Bends instead)
    Tool- Lateralus (A bunch of repetitive 7 minute songs that all sound the same)
    Nirvana- Nevermind (Half Killer and Half Filler)
  • Except for Love Reign O'er Me and a few others I've always thought Quadrophenia's lyrics are kind of crappy.

BUT

I still adore the album.. as you mentioned, the sounds of the drums and guitars, the way it flows like waves until the entire thing rises up and crashes in a tidal wave with Reign O'er Me at the end.. There's plenty to love about it.

"Make our day"
  • larslars Posts: 524
    The new Bjork cd....talking about several annoying electro-clash wannabe tracks surrounded by boring soundscores. She does have a nice and unik voice though, but where are the decent melodies to make this cd anything speciel. Somehow its gettin pretty good reviews....leaves me clueless. Well, I´ll just put on a Tad cd and care less.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I agree about Quadrophenia...it's okay..but i can't listen to the whole thing...hopefully slip kid won't see this post..:p

as for london calling and bssm those are classic albums in my opinion. I never get sick of them.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I agree about The Wall, too much filler for a double album.
    You guys cannot be serious....tell me you´re joking? Do you also think the cd should be remixed in an up-tempo 2007ish style? Maybe Timberland should change "mother" into the first party single from the cd to hit the airs. Come on!!
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • you've got to be kidding me with OK Computer.

and you people saying The Wall are also nuts. there is no filler on there, every track is a piece of the story.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Need to chime in that The Wall is fanfuckingtastic...like the previous poster said it all fits a story...when i first gave it a listen I was blown away....great album IMHO....
  • lars wrote:
    The new Bjork cd....talking about several annoying electro-clash wannabe tracks surrounded by boring soundscores. She does have a nice and unik voice though, but where are the decent melodies to make this cd anything speciel. Somehow its gettin pretty good reviews....leaves me clueless. Well, I´ll just put on a Tad cd and care less.
    Based on what I know about your taste in music Bjork's not your cup of tea anyway. Do you like her other stuff already or is the new one pretty much your introduction?

"Make our day"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Anything Oasis, anything U2 after Rattle And Hum, The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, ACDC.
    These bands have just never struck me other than U2 where I basically loved them as a kid growing up, but as I grew so did Bono's head and it got ugly.
    There music just isnt my bag I guess.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Neon Bible, just don't like it in any way. Also I'll go with Frances the Mute and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
  • Thought of another one: What's Going On by Marvin Gaye.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Thought of another one: What's Going On by Marvin Gaye.

I dunno, I think it's a hit and miss album, for me it hit, but I can see why with a lot it misses.
    I just love some of the songs the title track Mercy Mercy Me, Ecology, Whats Happening, I dont know kind of like a document prophocising and preceeding where the world went and what it become. Excuse me, I am pissed.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Bremerton wrote:
    Neon Bible, just don't like it in any way. Also I'll go with Frances the Mute and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Ok. First off as to all of the OK Computer responses. I hate you all. I'd argue it is better than any pearl jam album on the whole...except maybe no code. And I freaking love Pearl Jam.

Next up: neon bible may be no funeral..but definitely not something to be overlooked. Maybe give it another try. Maybe it takes seeing them live to solidify it.

And YHF? Pretty great as well but another one that took me awhile to love. I had it sitting on my ipod for probably 6 months where i'd start it up every once & awhile and move on. Then one day it just clicked. I put it on while watching a sunset at the beach & love it now.

Guess sometimes music just takes a certain experience to be able to be fully enjoyed. Have to keep trying sometimes.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • I dunno, I think it's a hit and miss album, for me it hit, but I can see why with a lot it misses.
    I just love some of the songs the title track Mercy Mercy Me, Ecology, Whats Happening, I dont know kind of like a document prophocising and preceeding where the world went and what it become. Excuse me, I am pissed.:)

The sentiments are all good, I agree. I just don't think it's a Top 10 albums of all time candidate, as it often tends to be.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908

Say what!?!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • I know, that seems ridiculous. Never Mind The Bollocks is probably the only punk album worth having.
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Nirvana- Nevermind (Half Killer and Half Filler)

I was wondering if you could enlighten me on which half of those songs are filler. I think every one of them is great and necessary to the overall dynamic of the album.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Sgt Peppers
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I was wondering if you could enlighten me on which half of those songs are filler. I think every one of them is great and necessary to the overall dynamic of the album.

Filler

Breed
    Territorial Pissings
    Lounge Act
    Stay Away
    Something in The Way

Nirvana is the most overated band of the 90's, this album is the most overated album of the 90's, and Smells Like Teen Spirit is the most overated song of the 90's.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Filler

Breed
    Territorial Pissings
    Lounge Act
    Stay Away
    Something in The Way

Nirvana is the most overated band of the 90's, this album is the most overated album of the 90's, and Smells Like Teen Spirit is the most overated song of the 90's.

LIES!!! LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Pity this didn't, after one disc.
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Filler

Breed
    Territorial Pissings
    Lounge Act
    Stay Away
    Something in The Way

Anyone who doesn't like Lounge Act should be shot, and as far as the rest of your thoughts, I respectfully disagree.