Albums that you do not understand the fascination with

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Arctic Monkeys (anything they have released)
Radiohead - Ok Computer
The Beatles - White Album
The Smiths - Anything by them
The Stone Roses
The Strokes - Is This It
Beck - Odelay
The Pixies - Dolittle
The Clash - London Calling
Love - Forever Changes
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

By the way, I like about half of these artists but I just dont understand why critics and fans love these albums
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    The White Album is my biggest "what the fuck" album. Its got a 4.45 on Rate Your Music and I have no idea why.

London Calling use to be on that list until about two weeks ago when I put it in randomly and it just clicked.

Prince's 1999 would be another one. To me there's too much aimless wondering with the instrumentation, but the core songs are all great - the album is just bloated.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I don't know. It obviously hasn't clicked with me because while I think its a good album, I can't listen to it all that often.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Quadrophenia.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The White Album is my biggest "what the fuck" album. Its got a 4.45 on Rate Your Music and I have no idea why.

London Calling use to be on that list until about two weeks ago when I put it in randomly and it just clicked.

Prince's 1999 would be another one. To me there's too much aimless wondering with the instrumentation, but the core songs are all great - the album is just bloated.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I don't know. It obviously hasn't clicked with me because while I think its a good album, I can't listen to it all that often.

London Calling is my favorite song by them and I love Train In Vain as well but the rest of the album bores me to death, I guess when I get a punk record, I wanna hear punk songs.............not ska and pop. I feel The Clash is a much better album but it never gets the recognition of London Calling
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Quadrophenia.

I totally agree with this and I also do not like alot of the songs on Tommy. The Who is one of my favorite bands but I feel like a traitor for not liking these albums all that much :confused:
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    London Calling is my favorite song by them and I love Train In Vain as well but the rest of the album bores me to death, I guess when I get a punk record, I wanna hear punk songs.............not ska and pop. I feel The Clash is a much better album but it never gets the recognition of London Calling

I like all the different styles and sounds on the album. I doubt its the best album to get as an introduction to punk or the band, but there's some punk throughout, just not as immediate as London Calling.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Is this it? was a refreshing album. Basic garage rock with above average lyrics. Very good album.
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    Is this it? was a refreshing album. Basic garage rock with above average lyrics. Very good album.

It is often listed with some of the best albums of all time, I like some of the songs on it but do not think it was groundbreaking or saved rock and roll. I could name plenty of albums from the millenium that are just as good or better.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    Slint - Spiderland
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Every Beatles album
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    Yankee Foxtrot ~ Wilco. it's good, but not great to me.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Benzor wrote:
    Every Beatles album

Yes, fuck off with the Beatles already I am so sick of hearing how amazing they are.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    It is often listed with some of the best albums of all time, I like some of the songs on it but do not think it was groundbreaking or saved rock and roll. I could name plenty of albums from the millenium that are just as good or better.
    look at when it came out, there was nothing but rap metal bands in rock and to hear the strokes was like a breathe of fresh air to me, is it overhyped yes. .im gonna listen to it now that u mentioned it
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

London Calling is excactly what the punk philosophy is, it's diverse made by musicians who dont restrict themselves to one style, doing things their way and not caring about a scene which by the time that record was made, was just becoming another part of what the scene and punk movement was originally against.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    Quadrophenia.

agree
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Radiohead - Ok Computer
    The Stone Roses
    The Strokes - Is This It
    Beck - Odelay
    The Pixies - Dolittle
    Love - Forever Changes

By the way, I like about half of these artists but I just dont understand why critics and fans love these albums

you know i listened to all three strokes albums not long ago. I wanted to know whether i still felt as excited about them as i had previously. the answer i discovered, is no.

i have a love hate relationship with the clash.

the arctic monkeys i just totally love at the moment. i love their energy and i love alex turner's use of language. oh and of course, the accent. :D

the more i listen to OK Computer the more i fall in desire with it. it is a fabulous album.

Doolittle, i've only recently been exposed to. i wouldn't say i la la love it. but i'm beginning to understand some people's fascination for pixies.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I've tried and tried but The Clash does fuck all for me
    i like maybe 3 or 4 songs by them

Some Rolling Stones albums or songs just maketh me yawn...

anything remotely jazz-influenced or Stevie Wonder.... so he's musically talented, big deal.. his voice bugs the fuck out of me and the music bores me

probably loads more but i cant think of them right noo
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i like every record listed here, so far.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The White Stripes - Elephant (decent album, but not the end-all that critics and fans think it is)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps (besides Thrasher, Hey Hey My My, and My My Hey Hey, the album is really average)

All Tool albums (sorry, not my thing)

(this is all IMO of course)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • OK Computer.

PJ made the same staement with Vitalogy three years earlier. Vitalogy has tunes, too. And Ed can sing
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    White Album, Quadrophenia, Elephant...........................are you people for real????????????

These albums live up to any and all hype and then some......................
  • gazgaz Posts: 233
    Radiohead - Ok Computer
    The Stone Roses
    The Strokes - Is This It
    Beck - Odelay
    The Pixies - Dolittle
    Love - Forever Changes

Do you not realise pjOASISrule,that without Johnny Marr and The Smiths,and The Stone Roses,Fucking Oasis would'nt even exist.Oasis walk on the road that Johnny Marr and Ian Brown built for them!!!Rant over!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Anything by DMB
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    And Ed can sing

Last I checked, Thom Yorke can sing pretty nicely too.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Radiohead - Ok Computer
    The Stone Roses
    The Strokes - Is This It
    Beck - Odelay
    The Pixies - Dolittle
    Love - Forever Changes

Radiohead - Ok Computer

...are great great albums!!!!

The Strokes - Is This It
    Beck - Odelay
    The Pixies - Dolittle
    Arctics...

...are good albums too

agree with you on the others though :o
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
    gaz wrote:
    Do you not realise pjOASISrule,that without Johnny Marr and The Smiths,and The Stone Roses,Fucking Oasis would'nt even exist.Oasis walk on the road that Johnny Marr and Ian Brown built for them!!!Rant over!

How do you know they wouldnt exist? Just because they were influenced by them doesnt mean that they didnt have other influences as well, their music doesnt even sound like either band.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Anything by DMB

Definitely, when I was in high school all the most popular people liked DMB......I am starting to think that they only liked them because it was the popular thing to do because I doubt any one of them are fans now.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• EBowie wrote:
    Quadrophenia,

These albums live up to any and all hype and then some......................

If you like dodgy lyrics such as

"What is it? I'll take it.
    Who is she? I'll rape it.
    Got a bet there? I'll meet it.
    Getting High? You can't beat it"

then, er, it's just grrr-eat.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Anything by DMB and Coldplay.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    If you like dodgy lyrics such as

"What is it? I'll take it.
    Who is she? I'll rape it.
    Got a bet there? I'll meet it.
    Getting High? You can't beat it"

then, er, it's just grrr-eat.

Those lyrics fit in with the entire theme of the album. Also, it's very easy to pick out four lines, at random, from a given song on pretty much any album and say, "See, this is why it sucks". Bad example brother.
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    Oasis's "What's the Story Morning Glory" and anything by U2 except for "Pop" which was at least interesting.